Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Where's that from?

Never heard of that, but I thought it was Texas that had the giant weather anomalies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Back Hack posted:

Never heard of that, but I thought it was Texas that had the giant weather anomalies.

Yeah, I went looking and I mixed them up. Seattle is still not NCR turf though for some reason. Texas is the cool place with the weather poo poo going crazy.

Apparently an NPC references the Space Needle in F4? Where. Fallout wiki gimme them sources.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think the only thing we know about the Pacific northwest is that one of the good endings features the Followers and Khans heading up there to establish a long and mighty empire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wyoming isn't the Pacific Northwest

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I think the only thing we know about the Pacific northwest is that one of the good endings features the Followers and Khans heading up there to establish a long and mighty empire.
I'm not sure the innocent locals who will get brutalized by that mighty empire built by the tribe of drug dealing raiders, will think of it as a good ending.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on what the khans end up doing. They're drug pushers by virtue if having nothing else to offer while living in a canyon. And they're not unreasonable, unlike other tribes. Having the Followers aid them could help temper their bruised ego.

Much rather have an empire run by the Khans than the goddamn boomers

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The core gameplay loop of FO4, just like Skyrim

Man, "gameplay loop" is the perfect way of describing Skyrim and FO4. It's engrossing in its repetition but man is it loving shallow as hell.

Every now and then I get the itch to reinstall Fallout 4 and/or Skyrim just to get back on that hamster wheel, that Pavlovian reward system, but I know that I'll just give up and stop after a couple of hours at most.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Sure you might not have a variety in choices (this gun or that gun), but there is a lot to see and do. Maybe you and I have different definitions of shallow.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

xxEightxx posted:

there is a lot to see and do.

Even allowing that to pass unchallenged, you're describing breadth, not depth.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Arcsquad12 posted:

Depends on what the khans end up doing. They're drug pushers by virtue if having nothing else to offer while living in a canyon. And they're not unreasonable, unlike other tribes. Having the Followers aid them could help temper their bruised ego.

Much rather have an empire run by the Khans than the goddamn boomers

The Boomers are just internally consistent Exceedingly Americans.

Goddamnit I've put 600 hours in New Vegas over the years and I'm going to start it up again, aren't I.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 10, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

"How can this person say that a lovely fastfood hamburger is bad if they buy it over again??"

Yeah, sorry dude, you can enjoy trash and it will still remain trash.

Not a really good comparison. There's some justification for eating fast food you think is bad, because its a miniscule investment of time and effort, less so than it would take to cook something better, and eating is a necessity to stay alive. Loving a video game enough to invest hundreds of hours into it and then calling it straight up bad seems disingenuous. Heavily flawed sure, but its still a drat good game if you enjoy it enough to sink that much of your time into it.

At some point, how much time someone has invested into it speaks a bit louder than them calling it a bad game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wyoming isn't the Pacific Northwest

Was it Wyoming? It's been awhile :doh:

I always thought it was interesting how the Khans are one of the most sympathetic groups in the Mojave when their origins in F1 are as one of the most heinously evil groups in the game who you basically kill off in any canon playthrough (and then kill off what's left of them in F2).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Every time someone says that fallout 4 is a bad game another jerk crawls out of the vents to start gaslighting them and say it they're lying if they hate the game but played it for so long. gently caress you you don't get to tell people what they like and don't like.

The gameplay loop of exploration-combat-looting is okay on its own, but when that is the only thing the game offers it can get tiring after a while. The roleplaying element in Fallout 4 just isn't there in any meaningful capacity, and the settlement system isn't going to make up for the RP absence.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Every time someone says that fallout 4 is a bad game another jerk crawls out of the vents to start gaslighting them and say it they're lying if they hate the game but played it for so long. gently caress you you don't get to tell people what they like and don't like.

The gameplay loop of exploration-combat-looting is okay on its own, but when that is the only thing the game offers it can get tiring after a while. The roleplaying element in Fallout 4 just isn't there in any meaningful capacity, and the settlement system isn't going to make up for the RP absence.

translation: reeeeeeeeee

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I guess I just have a different definition in my head of what "good" entails.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xxEightxx posted:

Sure you might not have a variety in choices (this gun or that gun), but there is a lot to see and do. Maybe you and I have different definitions of shallow.

i got bored about halfway through both the plot and exploring the map when i realized that every place and quest was about the same as every other place and quest. there were lots of them for sure but not much variance

i got my money's worth but i wouldn't call fallout 4 a good game. it was entertaining for a while but i can't see myself revisiting it in a few years time

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Honestly, I think one of the biggest flaws in the game is the lack of unique loot. Every area has basically the exact same drop table, there's only a small handful of unique weapons in the game. Looting is such a big part of the game and it all feels so homogenous when pretty much every area can spawn the exact same stuff, and any cool weapon variant can just be crafted.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Anyone who says the Khans were sympathetic didn't speak with Bitter-Root :colbert:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Or Papa Khan, who openly bragged about how many undefended NCR settlements they put to the torch before First Recon caught up with them.

dont be mean to me posted:

The Boomers are just internally consistent Exceedingly Americans.

Goddamnit I've put 600 hours in New Vegas over the years and I'm going to start it up again, aren't I.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but for me, New Vegas is one of those rare games that no matter how much I love it, I can't play it anymore, because I played it to loving death. One of my all-time favs, but at some point no matter how much you like a game you just can't bring yourself to fire it up yet again.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 10, 2017

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm honestly waiting to get back into playing this game until there's a mod organizer that isn't buggy and/or dogshit - the MO2 fork by LePresidente still has game-crashing bugs that haven't been fixed because Tannin is working on "Vortex", which there has been no news on for months and months.

I'll be damned if I use NMM, either.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Do it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

frajaq posted:

Anyone who says the Khans were sympathetic didn't speak with Bitter-Root :colbert:

I didn't say they were sympathetic. I said you can understand why they are the way they are. They're pretty fascinating to me because of their cmplex relationship with the NCR, and they have the potential to become better than they are. The only other group in the Mojave who have similar longtime relations with NCR are the brotherhood and you can see how those assholes turned out. The Khans are the only major tribe to not be conquered by the NCR in the west, and with the aid of the followers, they could become a nation in their own right.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Powder Gangers are the most sympathetic faction and would be the best long term choice for governing the Mojave. The Mojave doesn't need stuffy bureaucrats, a lame power-tripping techno-lich, or Roman cosplayers, it needs hard individuals that get results.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

boner confessor posted:

i got bored about halfway through both the plot and exploring the map when i realized that every place and quest was about the same as every other place and quest. there were lots of them for sure but not much variance

i got my money's worth but i wouldn't call fallout 4 a good game. it was entertaining for a while but i can't see myself revisiting it in a few years time

Yeah, unfortunately games like FO4 really require dozens of hours before you can make a judgement about anything beyond the basic mechanics of the game.

If all you care about are mechanics that's one thing, but these type of games tend to attract the kind of people who put an emphasis on story.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

might be of interest to the discussion or just interesting in general

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/917848806942588928

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

tweet my meat posted:

The Powder Gangers are the most sympathetic faction and would be the best long term choice for governing the Mojave. The Mojave doesn't need stuffy bureaucrats, a lame power-tripping techno-lich, or Roman cosplayers, it needs hard individuals that get results.

The weirdest random sideplot ending you can have in the game is by going ignore the prison -> help the powder gangers in Vault 19 join the Khans -> help the Khans join the Legion -> Help the Legion win. By the end of that run at least one or two random criminals will have gone from breaking out of prison, joining the Khans, joining the Legion, and then helping crucify their former prison pals in the span of like a month.

God, I love New Vegas. Slap F4's combat and crafting mechanics into it and you get a game I could basically play forever.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

tweet my meat posted:

Nah, gently caress those guys. The only thing I like about them is that their prison garb reminds me of Cool Hand Luke, a good movie. If there was a Paul Newman-esque leader then I'd absolutely insist they run the Mojave, otherwise gently caress 'em.

No the only person who should be running the Mojave is a certain crazy-rear end homicidal drifter who can single-handedly murder entire armies. Now that's results :colbert:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

The weirdest random sideplot ending you can have in the game is by going ignore the prison -> help the powder gangers in Vault 19 join the Khans -> help the Khans join the Legion -> Help the Legion win. By the end of that run at least one or two random criminals will have gone from breaking out of prison, joining the Khans, joining the Legion, and then helping crucify their former prison pals in the span of like a month.

God, I love New Vegas. Slap F4's combat and crafting mechanics into it and you get a game I could basically play forever.

Yeah, you could make some really interesting choices about who to support in any given playthrough. Sure at the end it all comes down to NCR/Caesar/None of the Above for your ending choice, but it tracks all those little side threads and follows through on them. FO4 not so much.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

Not a really good comparison. There's some justification for eating fast food you think is bad, because its a miniscule investment of time and effort, less so than it would take to cook something better, and eating is a necessity to stay alive. Loving a video game enough to invest hundreds of hours into it and then calling it straight up bad seems disingenuous. Heavily flawed sure, but its still a drat good game if you enjoy it enough to sink that much of your time into it.

At some point, how much time someone has invested into it speaks a bit louder than them calling it a bad game.

No, you moron, because we're talking about a product that was consumed; it does not matter one iota how long it went into making it or how much into consuming it. It doesn't matter if it takes me a loving hour to finish masticating a piece of soggy poo poo; or if I have it again because it's laced with heroin; I can still call it loving poo poo afterwards ~even tho u wer a long tim consuming it!!1~

People waste time doing stupid and pointless things all the time. I'm posting here in this thread, for instance.

The thing is that all too often in F04, you're having fun in spite of the game and not because of it. Because there is only one part of it that works; the shooting poo poo and stealing their garbage.

IF this game was "Murderhobo Simulator 2017" that would have been more than sufficient, but this game is not only pretending to be a role playing game where you are instantly cast into a supremely boring and lovely role, it also is pretending at being more than that, with a settlement system that never left beta development, this worst leveling system I've seen in an AAA RPG and a conversation system that somehow managed to be inferior to the Bioware one in every way.

It is furthermore pretending to be a Fallout game, but jesus this is enough words about this stupid poo poo for now. Suffice to say that between 1, 2 and NV, you have growth and change.

You don't have settlements of 12 loving people. You don't have skeletons lasting 400 years. You don't drag your way through the weakest loving story and the shittiest side quests and side factions ever released in a Bethesda game and I'm including the poo poo faction in Skyrim where you turn into a furry because they are unoriginal idiots

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

You don't have settlements of 12 loving people. You don't have skeletons lasting 400 years. You don't drag your way through the weakest loving story and the shittiest side quests and side factions ever released in a Bethesda game and I'm including the poo poo faction in Skyrim where you turn into a furry because they are unoriginal idiots

No. The weakest faction in a Bethesda game will forever be those retarded vampire LARPers in FO3. Even moreso because the player is evidently supposed to.... recognize and sympathize with them on some level?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Backhand posted:

No. The weakest faction in a Bethesda game will forever be those retarded vampire LARPers in FO3. Even moreso because the player is evidently supposed to.... recognize and sympathize with them on some level?

I launched a Fat Man at their little group. Crippled all of my own limbs in the process because, hey, maybe you shouldn't fire a nuke in a subway tunnel, but gently caress 'em.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Backhand posted:

Yeah, those guys stretch credibility beyond the breaking point. I usually murder them just because their hideout contains sooooooo much loot.

You know what would redeem them? If, in the corner of their lair, behind a fake wall in a 100 locked safe, was a set of White Wolf games which they regarded as their bible.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Backhand posted:

No, the weakest faction in a Bethesda game are the insanely stupid morons running the Thieve's Guild in Skyrim. Nothing about their quest makes sense, they're such terrible thieves that not one of them notices their entire hoard has been stolen right from under them, they all pledge eternal fealty to a Daedric entity that doesn't give a poo poo about them and gives crappy favors, and not once in their actual questline do you ever steal anything. Twenty Sided did a fantastic series on the complete ineptitude and pointlessness of the Riften Thieve's Guild.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Now I'm just remembering how much I enjoyed the Thieve's Guild plot in Oblivion. Massive heists, and tons of cool homes and businesses to burglarize throughout the world. I don't think any Beth RPG has made stealing poo poo as fun as it was in Oblivion, especially with a mod to bump up the price of clutter like silverware and whatnot just a tiny bit. New Vegas had some fun places to rob too like the Silver Rush, though that relied on exploiting the AI instead of stealth. I wish it was a bit less high risk and low reward in FO4, because burglary can be one of the most fun side activities in these games if done right.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It also makes for great set piece quests. One of the most memorable quests in the Witcher 3 was basically a bank robbery.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Stealing poo poo can be a lot of fun in Skyrim and New Vegas, too. Wholly unnecessary, but it occasionally netted you some decent items before you would normally be able to get them, and let the player feel like they are really taking agency and doing their own thing instead of just following the rails.

I especially always enjoyed robbing the NCR's ammo stores, with the justification that I was going to be doing the same things with them that they wanted to, except much more effectively.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I actually enjoy settlement building and hope it's in a future Fallout game (or Elder Scrolls game, even) but I'd also hope it's better tied into the general idea of the game, and that more than 20 people can show up without the game making GBS threads itself next time.

God, the idea of actually rebuilding was such an appealing concept, but sans mods all you could really end up making was like three wooden shacks and watch some vagrants lay around on alarmingly-stained cots.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I gave my vagrants clean Vault Tec beds and concrete bunkers with disco balls on 24/7 thank you very much :colbert:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I created horrible, dystopian hobo-cubes, that floated freely in the air, with the food and power inside as they trawled through the dark, putrid shanty corridors I made for the hell of it.

It was pretty hilarious to watch them attacked, because Bethesda was too poo poo to make breakable walls and so any attack on it was just them angrily yelling at each other through the walls, while various turrets shot at them, then I came and finished them off

Man, those attacks were such utter gruel thin garbage too. Let's just have them randomly spawn, because of junk you have, with no way to plan, prepare or do anything proper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The settlement building was the biggest potential FO4 had for a plot- If the settlement defense was something else than "x amount of enemies spawns on top of your settlement" and the story had accounted for your towns (Yes, my vanilla trash heaps combined had WAY more people than that puny diamond "city" of yours, bethesda) then I would have actually had a motive to care about the institude of ineptitude and neonazis on their Zeppelin. But no, MAH BABBY.

• Locked thread