Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Baronjutter posted:

I just love that people rather build like 80 armies than deal with ground combat micro.

That doesn't make sense, you don't remove any steps you just add a bunch of armies in lieu of sending a battle fleet here first. It's literally click the planet and wait for the victory notification either way.

It's not a solution either, just an alternate route since 80 armies is arguably more tedious to manage than just leaving a fleet in orbit for the ~15 seconds a 50k fleet will need to remove fortifications. 80 armies cannot embark and disembark together properly, but do accomplish the bypass the defense thing if you're inclined to do that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Mazz posted:

That doesn't make sense, you don't remove any steps you just add a bunch of armies in lieu of sending a battle fleet here first. It's literally click the planet and wait for the victory notification either way.

It's not a solution either, just an alternate route since 80 armies is arguably more tedious to manage than just leaving a fleet in orbit for the ~15 seconds a 50k fleet will need to remove fortifications. 80 armies cannot embark and disembark together properly, but do accomplish the bypass the defense thing if you're inclined to do that.

Late game this falls pretty flat because somebody thought it was an amazing idea to cap bombing damage at 100/80/60. With the repairs now fighting back so it's more like 75/55/35. To bomb down planets with upwards of 6000.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Idk it really doesnt take that long, you can cycle through 2-3 fleets with little downtime and they will have zero'd out their respective planets without much issue. Do weapons or ship size matter? As said I run all battleships all the time, and by the time I'm conquering the galaxy I tend to have at least 150k worth of fleet power.

Either way its not micro heavy to assign armies/ships to planets. You just click a couple times and wait. The tedium is in the interface and how the army/ships interact with each other and the planets themselves. More armies does literally nothing to change this.

"I just love that people rather build like 80 armies than deal with ground combat micro" again, makes no sense because it just straight misunderstands how the system actually works.

EDIT: I just looked at the actual mechanic, it's 0.30/0.40/0.50 damage per day multipled by fleet size/power (I'm not sure which, seems like pure numbers would be kinda dumb since it would make corvettes super strong here). Anyways, if your bombardment is taking too long, split your fleets less or add more ships. I have literally no issues with planetary bombardment taking too long compared to any of the other waiting you have to do in a 4x game. Making the overall invasion system more in depth or interesting, great, but like focusing on planetary bombardment speed as the main issue is questionable at best.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 10, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

drat, you can't Teraform ringworlds into machine worlds.

Or any other habitats.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Playstation 4 posted:

Late game this falls pretty flat because somebody thought it was an amazing idea to cap bombing damage at 100/80/60. With the repairs now fighting back so it's more like 75/55/35. To bomb down planets with upwards of 6000.

The real problem with it is that your idiot transports are defenseless and will inevitably get intercepted or blunder into a randomly rebuilt AI warp snare if they aren't on follow. I just put like 30 regiments of whatever my most upgraded troop following my various fleets that are ping ponging around. Once the fleet icon changes to bombing i can tab over to them and initiate the invasion immediately and win since psi troopers or w/e can do perfectly fine at 80%+ fortification.

No matter what you do it's a pain in the rear end though and I look forward to it going away.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

imweasel09 posted:

Wait what, isn't full fortification a 99% damage reduction? Do I reappy not have to sit around forever bombing things to 0 if I build 50 armiers?

It's around that (I don't know the exact number, wiki says 95%), but once the defender's morale cracks (basically instantly with advanced armies) they're doing that much less damage to you too. I don't claim to really understand why it works so well, but it does.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Broken armies do basically zero damage.

Why do armies have five different stats plus an equipment slot plus a special leader type plus a half-dozen different leader attributes when a couple dozen standard armies aren't that expensive by mid game and curbstomp any possible defense?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Personally I just wish a mod like this one was available for the current patch, so I could do away with ground combat entirely.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cease to Hope posted:

Why do armies have five different stats plus an equipment slot plus a special leader type plus a half-dozen different leader attributes when a couple dozen standard armies aren't that expensive by mid game and curbstomp any possible defense?

Because it checked off some "cool feature" boxes

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

I'm playing as a paradisal, chemically-blissed out unity-farming idyll in a galaxy otherwise dominated by hive minds, hell wars, and hegemonic douchebags. The robo-servitors on the other side of the galaxy just got wiped out, and lo and behold several bio-trophy pops have taken refuge on my worlds. I like to imagine how that went down.

"And by the waters of Bion IV we sat down and wept, when we remembered the burning of Gorgalarp II, and prepared to use our atrophied muscles to labor in the field, and... holy poo poo are these waters rivers of champagne? Are those clouds made of cotton candy?"
"WELCOME TO PARTY PLANET PLEASE UNDRESS AND PREPARE ALL ORIFICES AND EROGENOUS ZONES FOR DEEP TISSUE STIMULATION"
":haw:"

WHERE IS PARTY PLANET

Also, is there an efficient way to upgrade land armies, like you would for ships?

When playing robots, I want to give them the software upgrades. I do NOT want to click through each landed unit one by one to manually and individually hand out the upgrade like the soup kitchen of software. I'm a goddamn omnicidal gestalt machine consciousness, surely there is a better way?

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 10, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

imweasel09 posted:

Wait what, isn't full fortification a 99% damage reduction? Do I reappy not have to sit around forever bombing things to 0 if I build 50 armiers?

There used to be a bug where fortification didn't apply to advanced armies.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
Is there a secret to getting all the other empires to work together against an end game crisis? In my last game, I got the robot crisis with the 4 machine worlds with 300k defenses. I've had to grab ascension bonuses for extra naval capacity and additional damage to end game crisis just to stand a chance. I can now safely knock out enemy fleets of 100k easy enough, but I'm not sure about going up against the 300k systems. All the while, my allies (who I even joined a federation with) are just getting their asses kicked. None of their fleets appear to follow mine. Instead they send 40k fleets all over the place and just seem to keep either on the run or to themselves. How are you meant to work together?

Also, wish there was a way to increase number of leviathans. Last game had 2 spawn next to each other on other side of galaxy, so I got to neither in time. Most recent game only seems to have one, again on other side of galaxy (also got the Infinity Sphere, if that even counts or does it spawn in all games?)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I played a game out through to a crisis and was impressed how everyone banded together, even former enemies. I'd send my "little" 200k fleet into a contingency system and moments after the battle started my rival awakened empire had a 150k fleet there and then a 80k fleet from my buddy showed up and 20k from someone else and 10k from another and on and on until we had like 500k. Then we'd all orbit and bombard the poo poo out of them. Was some real teamwork.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Cease to Hope posted:

I mean, I like to think the leader and battle mods pushed my garrison of 20 giant death robots over the threshold of difficulty that made an invading empire's stack of over a hundred slaves and zealots just sit patiently with the bombarding fleet while I rebuilt my navy and forced a white peace

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 10, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It would be real nice if there was a feature that let you influence the behavior of allies, vassals or federation members during war. Kind of like the buttons that let you control your vassal behavior in EU4 -- "Follow my ships", "Raid individually", "Attack war goals", and so on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

imweasel09 posted:

Fortification is a huge damage reduction, but garrison armies are weak and psionic armies are strong, so past a certain point you can just slam right through them with advanced army types and a good general. There's no point in building 50 armies, though - the game doesn't really draw attention to this, but there can only be a certain number of invading troops on a planet at a time. No matter how many armies you send to invade, the game will only land a dozen or so at once, while the rest sit around in orbit twiddling their thumbs.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

It would be real nice if there was a feature that let you influence the behavior of allies, vassals or federation members during war. Kind of like the buttons that let you control your vassal behavior in EU4 -- "Follow my ships", "Raid individually", "Attack war goals", and so on.

I'd be happy if attached fleets helped bombard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“DrSunshine”" post="“477251622”"]
It would be real nice if there was a feature that let you influence the behavior of allies, vassals or federation members during war. Kind of like the buttons that let you control your vassal behavior in EU4 — “Follow my ships”, “Raid individually”, “Attack war goals”, and so on.
[/quote]

And maybe have federation fleets under the command of the primary attacker/defender. Or put it to a vote if multiplayer has to have the same mechanics. (would not affect peacetime command under the president or who is allowed to build into the fleet)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Main Paineframe posted:

Fortification is a huge damage reduction, but garrison armies are weak and psionic armies are strong, so past a certain point you can just slam right through them with advanced army types and a good general. There's no point in building 50 armies, though - the game doesn't really draw attention to this, but there can only be a certain number of invading troops on a planet at a time. No matter how many armies you send to invade, the game will only land a dozen or so at once, while the rest sit around in orbit twiddling their thumbs.

Maybe we're playing different games, because I just dropped 120 robot armies on a planet. Unless it shows them on the ground when they're really not, but as far as I can tell the transports aren't in orbit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Is there a secret to getting all the other empires to work together against an end game crisis? In my last game, I got the robot crisis with the 4 machine worlds with 300k defenses. I've had to grab ascension bonuses for extra naval capacity and additional damage to end game crisis just to stand a chance. I can now safely knock out enemy fleets of 100k easy enough, but I'm not sure about going up against the 300k systems. All the while, my allies (who I even joined a federation with) are just getting their asses kicked. None of their fleets appear to follow mine. Instead they send 40k fleets all over the place and just seem to keep either on the run or to themselves. How are you meant to work together?

Also, wish there was a way to increase number of leviathans. Last game had 2 spawn next to each other on other side of galaxy, so I got to neither in time. Most recent game only seems to have one, again on other side of galaxy (also got the Infinity Sphere, if that even counts or does it spawn in all games?)

As a first question, do you have the 'Take Point' button enabled on your fleets? Without that set you're explicitly telling the AI not to form up on you. As a second, my personal observation is that the AI will try to avoid any fight it doesn't think it can win; even if it was following you, they will stop doing so if they think you're about to do something suicidal. I presume so this is you can't set 'Take Point' on a corvette and suicide their fleets into stuff.

Main Paineframe posted:

...there can only be a certain number of invading troops on a planet at a time. No matter how many armies you send to invade, the game will only land a dozen or so at once, while the rest sit around in orbit twiddling their thumbs.

This is absolutely untrue. You can have as many attacking armies as you want, although they seem to deploy in two waves: a first wave of 12, then a second wave of all the rest.

The number of armies you can garrison is capped at planet size though, and after you win a battle it will eject any invading armies above that cap back into space.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 10, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DrSunshine posted:

There's a bit of this in game already.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fintilgin posted:

I hope when we get a war update it does something like put a fleet cap limit on admirals with greatly increased penalties to fire/move for being over it. Make that limit per system as well, so if you have two or three admirals and fleets in a single system they're all controlled by the highest ranking general. Like how EUIV or whatever stacks work per province, I think.

That way you'd have to keep your deathball split up. I hate deathballs, but it's really the only way to play things.
Someone a while back came up with the great idea of this being per fight. So if a bunch of reinforcements pop into the system they wouldn't count toward the limit until they actually start shooting.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

"Take point", a toggle you can set on your fleets, does this, albeit crudely. It's on the top left corner of the fleet window: the button with three triangles in formation.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah, I know about that, but a lot of the time (especially when in federations with mixed ftl composition) it ends up being pretty awkward.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cease to Hope posted:

"Take point", a toggle you can set on your fleets, does this, albeit crudely. It's on the top left corner of the fleet window: the button with three triangles in formation.

I think the AI is probably pretty inconsistent. I never saw them do anything meaningful at all against the Contingency. I pop a core world, smash all the local fleets, and even still a whole empire never seemed to be able to retake even single undefended contingency worlds. I used Take Point, and a couple AI units sent 20k (total) or so to tail my 160k death ball, but that was it. Even the Cybrex just had 250k of fleets just... milling around on the opposite end of the Contingency from the remaining core worlds.

Splicer posted:

Someone a while back came up with the great idea of this being per fight. So if a bunch of reinforcements pop into the system they wouldn't count toward the limit until they actually start shooting.

My biggest concern, on reflection is preventing one of those EUIV situations, where optimal play can involve army micro to feed fresh morale troops into a battle. Like, you haven't solved anything if the new strategy is to split your death stack into 3 parts and feed the next part in just after you retreat the first part.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I know about that, but a lot of the time (especially when in federations with mixed ftl composition) it ends up being pretty awkward.

I have played hyperlane only for so long I didn't even think about that lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I have played hyperlane only for so long I didn't even think about that lol

Same, I read someone mentioning something about wormhole stations and I had no idea what they were talking about. Wormholes?? Is that some weird mod?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I still haven't played Stellaris, despite being quite excited about it when it was announced. I'm going to get it soon, and my question is, should I buy all three expansions from the get go, or would it be too dense for a beginner to the game?

I wouldn't say I was a Paradox veteran, but I have played quite a bit of CKII and a bit of EUIII. On the 4X front I've played tons of Civ.

Also, I don't know where else to ask this, but is there/was there ever a thread on here for Planet Coaster?

Planet Coaster chat goes in here my good dude: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732913

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I want to be fanatic spiritualists for a game, but don't know the other ethic I want to use. Or traits for the race. So no robots or hive minds. I want to spread my religion across the stars.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Militarist?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Same, I read someone mentioning something about wormhole stations and I had no idea what they were talking about. Wormholes?? Is that some weird mod?

Wormholes forever. I play on Wormholes-Only. :colbert:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Wormholes forever. I play on Wormholes-Only. :colbert:

If it didn't take longer to warp for large fleets, I'd be all over wormholes. As it is, it's just drat slow.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Wiz posted:

I have to say, it's pretty amusing just how many posters have switched from 'the AI is doing worse than me and therefore is clearly completely braindead' to 'the AI is doing better than me and therefore is clearly massively cheating' since 1.8.

(It's not, it's just better than a whole lot of players when it comes to early expansion and economic priorities now.)

It was a joke, Wiz. If I honestly believed the game was cheating I wouldn't still be playing it. :ssh:

You gave me my biggest wish for the game (actually valuable and useful strategic resources and an AI that will come to me with trade deals if I have extra) a long time ago, and you're making ongoing improvements to reduce many of the things that cause my carpal tunnel to flare up, so I've got no real complaints.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 11, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

I want to be fanatic spiritualists for a game, but don't know the other ethic I want to use. Or traits for the race. So no robots or hive minds. I want to spread my religion across the stars.

Try fanatic spiritualist/xenophile. It's interesting. You can still murder people arbitrarily, but you make friends easily. Assuming you don't murder too many of them arbitrarily anyway.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The worst thing about armies is the loving transports don't remember what I name them

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Xenophobe, and take Inward Perfection to crank out some crazy unity.

Then purge the heathens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Xenophobe, and take Inward Perfection to crank out some crazy unity.

Then purge the heathens.

Every time I've tried inward perfection since the patch I've been rolled by some nearby AI(s).

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
when creating vassals using that special and cool button, can i make ones that own more than one system?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What's the best build for a gimmick run where I want to unite every power under one banner to have a united galaxy against the crisis?

I'm guessing Militarist with Feudal Society (so my vassals can colonise and expand), but what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

What's the best build for a gimmick run where I want to unite every power under one banner to have a united galaxy against the crisis?

I'm guessing Militarist with Feudal Society (so my vassals can colonise and expand), but what else?

I did an out of the box UNE xenophile/egalitarian and federationed up with a democratic crusader.

The map was kind of a mess for a few decades there...

• Locked thread