Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
News from the new issue of CoroCoro:

quote:

Necrozma’s new formes, Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings, will both be getting the ability Prism Armor. Necrozma can learn a new attack, Photon Geyser, which appears to be useable by both formes. It can also learn a new Z-Move which will turn Sunsteel Strike into a new move Sunshine Smasher if Dusk Mane or Moongeist Beam into Moonlight Blaster on Dawn Wings. It appears that this will also be available to Solgaleo and Lunala, respectively, as well.

It also appears that Rotom has been powered-up and will now let you use Z-Moves more than once per battle if you properly befriend it. You can communicate with it in more ways and Rotom will react differently. It also allows you to gain items through a new feature called Rotopon which is probably a play on Gachapon, the capsule machines in Japan.

Prism Armor = Filter, for those who never really looked into Necrozma. So Necrozma Dawn doesn't have quadruple Dark and Ghost weaknesses like Lunala does, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gachapon..... thank you iwata....

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

less laughter posted:

Prism Armor = Filter, for those who never really looked into Necrozma. So Necrozma Dawn doesn't have quadruple Dark and Ghost weaknesses like Lunala does, for instance.

Still can't actually use the Rotom, though...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Still can't actually use the Rotom, though...

Rotom: In your dex, but not in the dex.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so the only reason you're limited to one z-move per fight is that rotom doesn't like you enough?

drat I thought we were cool rotom

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Nth Doctor posted:

Speaking of Marshadow!
I have FIVE spare codes I'd like to see go to people without GameStop access. Goon's Honor. To get one, tell me about your favorite moment in the games. This can be either plot or something you personally did about which you're particularly proud.

I will always remember the many many lunchtime hours I spent grinding my team up to level 60 fighting only digletts and dugtrios in the cave. Staring at those balanced numbers on that stats screen was a crowning achievement. Magneton was the hardest, but goddamn it I Sonic Boomed my way to the top.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

MTV Crib Death posted:

I will always remember the many many lunchtime hours I spent grinding my team up to level 60 fighting only digletts and dugtrios in the cave. Staring at those balanced numbers on that stats screen was a crowning achievement. Magneton was the hardest, but goddamn it I Sonic Boomed my way to the top.

Check your pms.
What game was this in?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

less laughter posted:

i would say the rotom thing seems broken but the games are super easy anyway so like, whatever sure multiple z-moves it's cool

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

DistroMapsWithoutNZ.tumblr.com

Speaking of Marshadow!
I have FIVE spare codes I'd like to see go to people without GameStop access. Goon's Honor. To get one, tell me about your favorite moment in the games. This can be either plot or something you personally did about which you're particularly proud.

I don't really have a lot of oustanding memories, but the series just being there for so long has gotten it wrapped up in so much nostalgia it's ridiculous. Being able to play Saphire/Silver on the 7 hour car rides when my family went camping for the summer made them a lot more bearable for my young self, and just having a solid thing to come back to when I got bored with everything else is always a good thing.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Manatee Cannon posted:

so the only reason you're limited to one z-move per fight is that rotom doesn't like you enough?

drat I thought we were cool rotom
Should have given rotom some of those rainbow beans.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I don't really have a lot of oustanding memories, but the series just being there for so long has gotten it wrapped up in so much nostalgia it's ridiculous. Being able to play Saphire/Silver on the 7 hour car rides when my family went camping for the summer made them a lot more bearable for my young self, and just having a solid thing to come back to when I got bored with everything else is always a good thing.

I dig this story. Thanks for sharing. Check your pms.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

DistroMapsWithoutNZ.tumblr.com

Speaking of Marshadow!

My favorite moment was in Ruby on the GBA when I was trying to fish up a Feebas. In the game,, it only spawns in 6 squares in one route so it’s a pain to catch. I had spent around 2 days on and off trying to catch it but to no luck. I was a kid who lived in the middle of nowhere so I had nothing better to do during my free time.

On one of the last few rows, I finally managed to fish it up, only for it to turn out to be shiny. I didn’t know it was shiny at the time until I looked up how to evolve Feebas and saw the picture of a normal Feebas. It was my very first wild shiny aside from the Red Gyarados so it made all the time spent worth it in the end.

Nicaden fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 10, 2017

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Nth Doctor posted:

Check your pms.
What game was this in?

Thanks!

It was Red and Blue--don't remember exactly which one. Had both carts. 1998 was wild.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Nicaden posted:

My favorite moment was in Ruby on the GBA when I was trying to fish up a Feebas. In the game,, it only spawns in 6 squares in one route so it’s a pain to catch. I had spent around 2 days on and off trying to catch it but to no luck. I was a kid who lived in the middle of nowhere so I had nothing better to do during my free time.

On one of the last few rows, I finally managed to fish it up, only for it to turn out to be shiny. I didn’t know it was shiny at the time until I looked up how to evolve Feebas and saw the picture of a normal Feebas. It was my very first wild shiny aside from the Red Gyarados so it made all the time spent worth it in the end.

WOW! That's a hell of a story! Thank you for sharing

MTV Crib Death posted:

Thanks!

It was Red and Blue--don't remember exactly which one. Had both carts. 1998 was wild.

Both carts? Lucky!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I suspect American codes won't work on my PAL game, but any excuse to talk about my crowning Pokemon achievement: convincing my little sister (she would've been about 7) to sit patiently with her copy of Diamond while I ground out the 32 Underground encounters required to get a Spiritomb. I don't still have him - or if I do, he's still on my Pearl cart - but you better believe I have all the legendaries his offspring netted me on the GTS. 12-year-old me felt like a god.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I own Aristide a fire type!

Best simian. I mean, come on. He just looks so loving happy!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

mycelia posted:

I suspect American codes won't work on my PAL game, but any excuse to talk about my crowning Pokemon achievement: convincing my little sister (she would've been about 7) to sit patiently with her copy of Diamond while I ground out the 32 Underground encounters required to get a Spiritomb. I don't still have him - or if I do, he's still on my Pearl cart - but you better believe I have all the legendaries his offspring netted me on the GTS. 12-year-old me felt like a god.

Check your pms.

My sister for so angry at me for battling her with my level 255 gengar thanks to the MissingNo glitches.

Edit: I'm happy to send you a code if you want to try it, but I can't send you PMs and the app for Android didn't tell me that when I sent the code originally. LMK what you'd like to do.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 10, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

the memory that will always make me laugh is when I took half an hour on and off through a day trying to work out how to leave the house in Red. My first JRPG and it showed. I think that might be my favourite jrpg memory actually.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

McDragon posted:

the memory that will always make me laugh is when I took half an hour on and off through a day trying to work out how to leave the house in Red. My first JRPG and it showed. I think that might be my favourite jrpg memory actually.

That's awesome. My I'm-a-dumb-kid story was methodically walking through every tile of tall grass on a route thinking "well they probably put the pokemon in a random spot on the route where you find them, so I just need to find where this Ditto or whatever is hiding."

Check your PMs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Don't even get me started on negative numbers

Edit: what thread am I in

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 10, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
My best memory was discovering Missingno before it became a schoolyard rumor because i had to rind some levels in Cinnabar.

Also killing all 3 legendary birds and mewtwo on my first playthrough because Venusaur was too strong

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Not to get in the way of reminiscing in ways we were dumb as children, but I'm out of codes now depending on what mycelia wants to do.

My favorite pokemon moment was the day I completed my Living Dex. It took me nearly 20 years but it felt so good to have one of everything.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If we're sharing stories, I have two fun ones. My first time ever seeing Pokemon in any form was on a school bus to the zoo during a field trip. A classmate was playing some odd game where his lizard guy could fight birds and cocoons by spitting fire at them or scratching them. I asked him if "leer" did any damage and concluded it was worthless since it didn't. A prevailing attitude about stat affecting moves that stuck due to early game math until Black.

The second story was a few months later. Birthday passed, I got a silver GameBoy pocket and both versions. I liked Drowzee, so of course I had a Hypno while psychic type still wrecked the whole world and hypnosis hadn't been nerfed yet. The local Books a Million was running one of those promotional Pokemon Gyms that got kids in to play each other and buy Pokemon cards. The Gym Leader you had to beat for your badge to fill the event card and win swag was some cocky 14 year old poo poo of a kid who abused the Missingo glitch us 11 year olds only barely comprehended and had a team of level 255 Kangaskhans and Nidoqueens. My team hadn't made to the elite four yet, so it's all in the 40's. This looks bad.

His Nidoqueen missed Hypno. Hypno uses Hypnosis successfully, and manages to kill his level 255 Nidoqueen with Dream Eater. The gym leader kid rage quit by yanking the connection cable and stomped off. Eat it, cheater kid.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I played the tcg as a kid before the Gameboy games. Still have a soft spot for Ghastly and Haunter since those were my first cards. Best memory though would be trading a foil Gyarados for my first Gameboy after school at the Boys and Girls Club and getting my copy of Blue later that week.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Mef989 posted:

Best memory though would be trading a foil Gyarados for my first Gameboy after school at the Boys and Girls Club

That's wild what did your parents think?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Star Man posted:

I like Charizards and the nearest Target is 120 miles away from me.

Gotcha! Sorry it took so long to get it to you!

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Jade Mage posted:

That's wild what did your parents think?

I don't recall. I don't think that I even realized at the time exactly how far ahead I came out in that trade.

Edit: Close second and third memories would be trading for a crumpled as poo poo foil Charizard (fair trade given the Charizard had likely been stuffed in a pocket, but I didn't care since at least I had one) and the first foil I ever pulled from a booster (Zapdos).

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 10, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

That's awesome. My I'm-a-dumb-kid story was methodically walking through every tile of tall grass on a route thinking "well they probably put the pokemon in a random spot on the route where you find them, so I just need to find where this Ditto or whatever is hiding."

Check your PMs.

Ooh, thank you.

Always glad I persevered with escaping that house, played a lot of neat games since then and learning that doormat=exit was very helpful

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

McDragon posted:

Not Pokemon and not a child for this one. I was young and in the military and a pretty heavy drinker. I played through the opening of Mass Effect 1, was drunk, spent all evening trying to figure out how to get off your ship, decided the game sucked, and didn't play it until 2 came out.

Worst Pokemon memory: selling all my original TCG foils at the flea market for like 200 bucks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Don't feel too bad about it. Most old Pokémon cards are worthless. Even the power rares.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

McDragon posted:

i was on the verge of tears when i went to my dad bc i couldn't figure out how to leave that house

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The very first pokemon game I played it took me a while to realize I had to beat Brock in order to get access to Mt. Moon.

EDIT: I kept trying to find a secret path!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PetraCore posted:

The very first pokemon game I played it took me a while to realize I had to beat Brock in order to get access to Mt. Moon.

EDIT: I kept trying to find a secret path!

sounds like someone wasn't playing with POWER

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Do the shrines where the Tapus are found count as dark places for Dusk ball purposes?

fake e: Tapu Fini can go eat a donger.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Pentaro posted:

Do the shrines where the Tapus are found count as dark places for Dusk ball purposes?

I'm not quite sure, but I would recommend investing in some Timer Balls.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Pentaro posted:

::: slides a folded piece of paper across the table :::

The Paper posted:

Premier Ball

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The nice man at Gamestop gave me an extra Marshadow card! Who has a good home for that ghostly boy?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

PetraCore posted:

It's really dumb. You could nickname Magearna because you counted as the OT for that.

I mean I'm still glad I got Marshadow but I'm sad I can't give Marshadow a dumb name.

As it stands, Celebi, Magearna, Victini, and Manaphy are the only little legendaries you can legally have nicknamed. Oh, also Shaymin if you count it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks a ton to Ivy on the Discord, of whose username here i'm not entirely sure of, for supplying for my Marshadow fix.

It is greatly appreciated.