Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shadow puppet of a posted:

Because Captain Lorca is as exciting as a stale rye bread.

Lorca's light sensitivity gimmick is dumb as hell. Oh yeah we need to keep all the rooms dimly lit and only bring up the lights slowly to accommodate the captain's disability. Uh, hello, sun glasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Starfleet now has a giant, violent, affectionate alien figure that can pilot a spaceship and makes Wookie noises? I hope Disney sues the production into retconning ensign tardigrade out of the streaming archives.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain "Ow my eyes!" Lorca is going to be screwed in 10 years when all the ship interiors look like this:

naem
May 29, 2011

Starfleet now has a giant, violent, affectionate alien figure that can pilot a spaceship and makes Wookie noises? I hope Disney sues the production into retconning ensign tardigrade out of the streaming archives.

Disney owns sart Trek. Disney owns satar wards

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Captain "Ow my eyes!" Lorca is going to be screwed in 10 years when all the ship interiors look like this:

Except that future no longer exists, thanks to Robert "9/11 was an inside job," Orci.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Facetious posted:

Except that future no longer exists, thanks to Robert "9/11 was an inside job," Orci.

I'm just kvetching because setting it 10 years before TOS was so dumb.

So far everything in the show would have worked just as well 10 years, 20 years, even 50 years after the Dominion War. The Federation, Klingons, Cardassians and Romulans were all severely weakened by the war, reducing their ability to project military power on the edges of their empires for years, which could allow some second string empires like the Breen to gain ground and become a bigger threat. The defensive alliances are breaking down, the klingons have a whole generation of young warriors who never got to fight side by side humans and Romulans against a common enemy and don't like them. The Federation itself would have more people sympathetic to Section 31 values since the war shattered their sense of security (9/11 analog there) and it is struggling to not lose its core values. New technology like mushroom teleporters and new aliens would totally make sense in a father future setting.

What does being in the TOS era get them? I guess some nostalgia where we can see a younger Harry Mudd. But a post-Dominion war setting could have nostalgia in the form of cameos by old TNG, DS9, and Voyager characters showing up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Fair enough.

quote:

nostalgia in the form of cameos by old TNG, DS9, and Voyager characters showing up.

God, gently caress no. Anything but that. Christ, Enterprise was already set in the loving past, and they still had that bullshit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We want Captain Nog!

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

If they set the show post-DS9 then they would have had to spend at least 5 minutes wandering on an alien planet while expositioning all those words at us and STD is too tightly written to use a device like that!

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

New Star Trek bad. Why's everyone gotta be a dumbass or a jerkoff? Like fuckin nobody is likeable.

Also the potato Klingon look cool but they sure are doing absolutely nothing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kalsco posted:

New Star Trek bad. Why's everyone gotta be a dumbass or a jerkoff? Like fuckin nobody is likeable.

Was it made by Ubisoft? :newlol:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Facebook Aunt posted:

So far everything in the show would have worked just as well 10 years, 20 years, even 50 years after the Dominion War. The Federation, Klingons, Cardassians and Romulans were all severely weakened by the war, reducing their ability to project military power on the edges of their empires for years, which could allow some second string empires like the Breen to gain ground and become a bigger threat. The defensive alliances are breaking down, the klingons have a whole generation of young warriors who never got to fight side by side humans and Romulans against a common enemy and don't like them. The Federation itself would have more people sympathetic to Section 31 values since the war shattered their sense of security (9/11 analog there) and it is struggling to not lose its core values. New technology like mushroom teleporters and new aliens would totally make sense in a father future setting.

What does being in the TOS era get them? I guess some nostalgia where we can see a younger Harry Mudd. But a post-Dominion war setting could have nostalgia in the form of cameos by old TNG, DS9, and Voyager characters showing up.

Totally agree. So far at least, there's been no reason not to do that. Hell, it was the entire point of TNG - set it 100 years after TOS so everything is new.

The only problem I see with that is that Federation tech was so advanced by the end of Voyager so why would it be forgotten? Then again, that's never stopped Star Trek before. If you really wanted, you could explain it away by some sort of catastrophe that caused the Federation to lose a lot of their tech.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I noticed in the last episode the red alert sign was the same one used in the tos movies and i dont know if i should be proud of myself or not

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The only problem I see with that is that Federation tech was so advanced by the end of Voyager so why would it be forgotten? Then again, that's never stopped Star Trek before. If you really wanted, you could explain it away by some sort of catastrophe that caused the Federation to lose a lot of their tech.

Like what, the stolen borg tech? My memory is a bit blurry at the end there.

Anyway, the easy way would be to make any inconvenient tech require a rare unreplicatable material. There are plenty of those like latinum, biomemetic gel, dilithium, etc. Something that was hard to get in the delta quadrant and is almost impossible to get in the alpha quadrant. Or the tech does some damage that the idiots on Voyager didn't notice. Or just plain political resistance, I bet a lot of people would be unhappy about having borg nanoprobes loose in the federation even if they were useful on Voyager.

Or there could be a diplomatic roadblock. The Federation agreed not to develop cloaking technology as part of a peace agreement with the klingons or Romulans. There could be a tenuous peace with the Borg, involving not using borg technology like transwarp conduits and nanoprobes. The borg have failed to assimilate much of the alpha quadrant after several good tries, it wouldn't be outrageous for them to adapt and try a peace treaty as a way to get access to other races biological and technological uniqueness.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Facetious posted:

God, gently caress no. Anything but that. Christ, Enterprise was already set in the loving past, and they still had that bullshit.

They can't help themselves. They've already put in tribbles. And made Michael is Spock's never before mentioned foster sister for no drat reason at all. If the show is successful it is inevitable that they will wedge in a scene with young Ensign Kirk or Junior Engineer Scotty on a random space station. I'd rather see Captain Nog than that.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Facebook Aunt posted:

Like what, the stolen borg tech? My memory is a bit blurry at the end there.

Pretty much. That and the future tech like the super-armour that makes Voyager nearly invincible :rolleyes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

They can't help themselves. They've already put in tribbles. And made Michael is Spock's never before mentioned foster sister for no drat reason at all.

I don't give a poo poo about callbacks, I just don't want to see any of the previous actors in a Trek show that isn't their own ever again.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Pretty much. That and the future tech like the super-armour that makes Voyager nearly invincible :rolleyes:

And you know the sentient holograms that they use for labor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gorelab posted:

And you know the sentient holograms that they use for labor.

Never really understood how those were supposed to be better than people or robots.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Humans have to pee all the time and robots inevitably rise up and slay their masters.

Holograms just get really stuck up and vain if left to toil for thankless years. So they put up with it as the lesser of three evils.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Let's just retcon Voyager out of existence.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Johnny Aztec posted:

t:mad:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I wonder if the reason they are afraid to set a show post-TNG era isn't so much because they are afraid of all the canon, but it's because Voyager poisoned the well with silly crap.

I mean, we think of a new 24th century show as being "post-Dominion War," but for a lot of people (the ones who ignore DS9), they might be thinking "post-Voyager." If I was a producer, picking up the ball where "Endgame" left off wouldn't sound too appealing.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Johnny Aztec posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Also, I don't think you can be "post-Borg" without resetting the universe.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they did, but fandom, in all its shittiness, is annoyingly vocal and influential.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't see why. They got more powerful plating... Ok more powerful weaponry also exists. It basically balances out. They got transwarp transporter beams? Well why do you ever need a ship? Show us why cause there's lots of reasons. If you make the computers more powerful they become sentient, which is a good reason for computing to not have moved forward a ton.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't see why they shouldn't make the ships sentient. Half of sci-fi does it anyway.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

in the next star trek they should have a sassy sentient ship voiced by billy crystal

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
There were two enjoyable Voyagers on last night:

1. The Doctor programs himself to daydream and some random scavengers tap into it and think it's reality.

2. They are in orbit around a planet where time goes way fast and the planet worships Voyager/tries to blow it up/eventually helps them. It reminded me of the Picard-flute-probe-thing on TNG.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Never really understood how those were supposed to be better than people or robots.

This actually kinda makes sense, from a lovely manual-labour perspective, even if Voyager's writers never considered it;

"We need more manpower!"

"Okay"

*ctrl-c LabourHologram.hol*

*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This actually kinda makes sense, from a lovely manual-labour perspective, even if Voyager's writers never considered it;

"We need more manpower!"

"Okay"

*ctrl-c LabourHologram.hol*

*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*
*ctrl-v*

I wonder if the computer hits a point where it can't keep up and all the worker holograms just turn super retarded

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Facetious posted:

Also, I don't think you can be "post-Borg" without resetting the universe.

Diplomacy. It didn't work the first 40 times, but the federation is relentless with that poo poo.

What do the Borg want? They want to pursue perfection by assimilating the technological and biological uniqueness of all other species. They don't especially want territory or resources, unless you have something unique. Traditionally they have reproduced via assimilation, but they are technologically capable of growing vat babies if they need more drones.

What do the Federation want? Peace, knowledge, exploration. On an individual level: freedom, personal fulfillment, and novel experiences.

Those are totally compatible goals. Technology can be traded. Drones can be recruited. Most humans object to losing individuality, but not all of them. And some are bound to be more afraid of death than assimilation. The Borg offer a kind of immortality, and some people would take that offer. Let the Borg set up recruiting centers on popular federation space stations. In the end getting de-borged was no big deal, and Seven believed a copy of her consciousness remained with the collective, so it would be possible for the Borg to offer temporary fixed-length assimilations and for everyone to get what they want. The collective gets to examine and copy the recruits, and the temporary borg recruits get to experience a collective and then go back to their normal life with a heck of a story to tell.

All they needed was a way for Federation diplomats to communicate with Borg in terms the Borg understand. Voyager gives them that. They have everything they need to convince the Borg that forced assimilation of the Federation is both unnecessary and inefficient.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

I wonder if the computer hits a point where it can't keep up and all the worker holograms just turn super retarded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI0_GrzgdYg

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Despite probably having a level of parallelism that far exceeds however many holo-slaves might be required, the "multiple morons" bug was deliberately programmed in so officers could keep their jobs. :tinfoil:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Having STD set after Voyager (IMO) gives you a lot of opportunities for story ideas.

- Post dominion war means that the other powers in the Alpha Quadrant are still recovering, so you can skip "War with the Klingons MKIV"
- You don't have to worry about walking on the toes of a storyline that comes after yours (Enterprise)
- You don't have to explain why you do/don't have certain tech (Enterprise)
- You can have your crew pushing the boundaries of exploration, meet new races without having to explain why we have never heard of the.

Having the show pre-TOS means that you have three options...

1. Toe the line and try not to trip over the millions of different storylines/lore already established.
2. Not care about pre-existing stories and just do whatever and never address it.
3. Say it's the JJ Trek universe and all bets are off and re-route axillary power to lens flare generators.

I'm not entirely sold on STD yet, but it has potential.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Blistex posted:

Having the show pre-TOS means that you have three options...

2. Not care about pre-existing stories and just do whatever and never address it.

Do this, and give the finger to the "I watched it before it was cool/before Netflix existed/etc." fans. Fandoms are the worst, anyway.

Reboot it from orbit. It should be about exploring new life, and new civilizations, not toeing the line to dogma and "canon".
No law says "every Star Trek has to have Vulcans, Klingons, and Tribbles". Make some new bumpy foreheads.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 11, 2017

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You can never fully reboot because 1/3rd of your merch sales target is planned to be through multi-generational products like 5 starship Franklin Mint pewter paperweight gift sets and a spice rack made up of little spice shakers for each captain and first officer.

If you isolate it from that timeline & linage you can never graft it on to it like a bloodsucking parasite.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You can never fully reboot because 1/3rd of your merch sales target is planned to be through multi-generational products like 5 starship Franklin Mint pewter paperweight gift sets and a spice rack made up of little spice shakers for each captain and first officer.

If you isolate it from that timeline & linage you can never graft it on to it like a bloodsucking parasite.

You can reboot and still make tchotchkes for previous shows. You make humans the central, binding element. "No matter how the show changes, it's about the crews/there is always a Federation of Planets™" etc.

If they can't leave the old poo poo behind, they weren't going to buy your new poo poo/only complain anyway. Fans are scum. Death to any fandom over ten years old. Never let them get dug in enough to dictate policy.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 11, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i think having extended canon is fun and makes things interesting. when things reboot and aren't really connected or start in such a way so as to avoid touching off some sensitive fandom, that sucks. it's probably why we got these weird prequel shows instead of trying to hang out in or modernizing the tng look.

The orville honestly feels like that tng trek came back from a long hiatus, updated the look a bit, and started taking things less seriously, and that's cool enough.

STD isn't that bad, but i'm not into that kind of sci fi show at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah Discovery is stuck in this weird place where they are trying to go "THE STAKES HAVE NEVER BEEN HIGHER!!!!" but at the same time say they are part of the main continuity so we know everything turns out okay in general. These particular assholes might die, but the Federation will be fine and Kirk will be sexing up green women in no time.

Fungus transporters are dumb as hell. We know it doesn't work, because they don't have it later. And going meta we know it won't work because everyone teleporting directly to their destinations would be a terrible show. I guess now they are going for "it works, but only if you have a giant tardigrade in nipple clamps, and we don't know where to get more of those so it just works for this one ship".

I'm worried they are going to go for a dumb as hell storyline where Michael wants to be nice to the giant Tardigrade and everyone else wants to be cruel to it for reasons. Even though it is the only specimen of the species they have, so the whole project depends on keeping it healthy.