Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Applesnots posted:

Come on, wheres your sense of adventure?

Probably in a smoking crater, I'm guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Applesnots posted:

Come on, wheres your sense of adventure?

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/torchships.php

This site has way more information than you could ever want about the manifold uses for nuclear material.
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php

ATP_Power has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Oct 10, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Memento posted:

The first one.

The second one doesn't test a single 500 ton explosion, it tests a whole bunch of much smaller explosions.

Have you read Command and Control? I'm reading it right now, and it goes into the microsecond timing they had to figure out to get the detonators on the conventional explosives to make sure the actual nuclear charge went off in pretty decent detail. Among other incredibly scary things.

While c&c doesn't go into super FOOF territory I feel like it should be read by everyone here. Retards all the goddamn way down basically and the Damascus event has to be read to be believed.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

The Sedan crater is part of the guided tour of the Nevada Test Site.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Luneshot posted:

Part of me wonders what we could do science-wise nowadays with nuclear explosions. Overpowered particle accelerator? Stupidly big explosively-pumped laser? Fusion studies? Project Orion?

Obviously under the oversight of a billion regulatory agencies, but I'm sure we could figure out something scientific to do with thousands of warheads, at least better than sitting in military stockpiles all day.

Turns out we're doing all of these things with test reactors anyway, no explosions needed.

babyeatingpsychopath has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Oct 10, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Luneshot posted:

Part of me wonders what we could do science-wise nowadays with nuclear explosions. Overpowered particle accelerator? Stupidly big explosively-pumped laser? Fusion studies? Project Orion?

Obviously under the oversight of a billion regulatory agencies, but I'm sure we could figure out something scientific to do with thousands of warheads, at least better than sitting in military stockpiles all day.

casaba howitzer to carve something obscene into the moon

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can't carve with a casaba howitzer, the pulse duration's too short.
I suppose you could use a few hundred and do dot-matrix printing?

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nuke the Panama canal bigger! And if Panama complains nuke Panama.

Considering the state of the country, our future prospects and the fact that I'm feeling kind of cranky, you would be doing us a favor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Luneshot posted:

give nasa the radioactive material for spaceprobe batteries.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

atomicthumbs posted:

casaba howitzer to carve something obscene into the moon

Alternatively:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hremsfeld posted:

Alternatively:

You know it's going to be "drink Coke"

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Yeah :smith:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
*COKE*

*IS*

*LIFE*

It sure will sell a lot of a certain fizzy drink!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChemistryReacts/status/917864606772678662

Well, that would of been a heck of a different T2 ending if John had dropped his bottled water :stare:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I always thought there should have been more explosions as the flesh on the T-800's legs and body instantly sublimed to steam.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

RedMagus posted:

Well, that would of been a heck of a different T2 ending if John had dropped his bottled water :stare:

That's the sort of thing you get to do once before OSHA put up a sign with "It should go without saying but DON'T THROW poo poo IN THE CRUCIBLE"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That's the sort of thing you get to do once before OSHA put up a sign with "It should go without saying but DON'T THROW poo poo IN THE CRUCIBLE"

Label it "TRASH INCINERATION" and call it even :colbert:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

RedMagus posted:

Like most things it's better when it happens in a volcano

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone posted a gallery on imgur about our favorite piece of cold war madness: Project Pluto

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

RedMagus posted:

Steam scares me for good reason. I'm on slow internet so I can't search for it right now but there is a good vid on YouTube of a boiler explosion.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Steam scares me for good reason. I'm on slow internet so I can't search for it right now but there is a good vid on YouTube of a boiler explosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT9Q0hWYewM&t=93s ?

I remember there was a really grizzly steel foundry video where a guy tossed something in and ended up getting mortally wounded by the splashback. I'm not hunting for it though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bhodi posted:

I remember there was a really grizzly steel foundry video where a guy tossed something in and ended up getting mortally wounded by the splashback. I'm not hunting for it though.

A bear in a steel mill sounds really dangerous.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

A bear in a steel mill sounds really dangerous.

You'd think, but they're surprisingly adept operating the overhead cranes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

"Hey, what's something cool we could do with this powerful universal solvent?"
"Heat it up until it boils, then store it under extreme pressure!"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
bears in a steel mill is almost a fetish

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Almost?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I worked in a carwash.

The first time I had to open up the water tank my ears hurt for days after.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wasn't there a thing about that on The Simpsons?

EDIT: Yeah, pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrX-GZCnYxU

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Oct 12, 2017

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOE4pCehJ70

Cody hurts himself with nitroglycerine.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

This is one of my favourite photos.

Half a kiloton of TNT just sitting there in a surreal sphere.

This Device Profoundly Accelerates Naptime.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jay Cutler should have went to one instead of the dolphins.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Platystemon posted:

This is one of my favourite photos.

Half a kiloton of TNT just sitting there in a surreal sphere.

creeper noise

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Samizdata posted:

Wasn't there a thing about that on The Simpsons?

EDIT: Yeah, pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrX-GZCnYxU

THANK YOU! I vaguely remembered that (impetus for my post) and it was bothering me trying to remember exactly what it was

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Back when the Simpsons was good*

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

THANK YOU! I vaguely remembered that (impetus for my post) and it was bothering me trying to remember exactly what it was

No worries. Cheers. (It tickled the old gray cells, so I had to look it up.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bhodi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT9Q0hWYewM&t=93s ?

Not a water heater, an industrial boiler.

https://youtu.be/fCej2OQSKnY

I don't think this is the one I was looking for, But unless that guy was already running like hell I'd say he's dead

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's dangerous chemistry: for a unit of water to go from liquid to vapor requires like 5 times the energy needed to heat that same unit from 0 to 100 degrees C. So think about how hot McDonald's coffee is and how badly it burned that coffee warning sign lady. Multiply the burny factor by 5 (a chunk more since coffee doesn't come boiling) and that's the burny potential of steam.

Do not gently caress with steam.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yup. My physics teacher gave us that same warning because we talked about a lightning bolt turning water to steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mustached Demon posted:

It's dangerous chemistry: for a unit of water to go from liquid to vapor requires like 5 times the energy needed to heat that same unit from 0 to 100 degrees C. So think about how hot McDonald's coffee is and how badly it burned that coffee warning sign lady. Multiply the burny factor by 5 (a chunk more since coffee doesn't come boiling) and that's the burny potential of steam at the same temperature.

Do not gently caress with steam.

That's the bit a lot of people don't realize; fully boiled steam at 100C has far, far more energy to give up than liquid water at 100C, even though the rate of heat transfer is the same.