Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
https://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries-hands-on-the-series-goes-back-to-its-roots/

I can't wait for it to be riddled with loot boxes.

Fake edit:

Russ the Bus posted:

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries isn’t just a sequel to MechWarrior 4. It’s a chance to re-establish the series and give its hordes of hardcore fans something that they’ve always wanted. "A significant part of our design philosophy is asking, 'What have players always wanted to do in a MechWarrior game?'" Bullock tells me.

That’s why Piranha Games is starting with Mercenaries first rather than a straight numbered sequel. "Traditionally, you’d make MechWarrior and then you’d make the Mercenaries offshoot,” he explains. "The first one is a linear, story-heavy campaign and then Mercenaries is more like a sandbox. But players want to live out the BattleTech lore, and the best way to do that is to own your own mercenary unit, so we’re going with Mercenaries first."

It's not at all the fact that they lose the license in 2018 and need to get something out the door and an actual story would take time.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Trust literally nothing PCGamer writes about Mechwarrior or PGI. Game might or might not be good, but PCGamer have always had suspiciously friendly coverage of PGI; they're the ones who gave out the "Thinking man's shooter" tagline that PGI used to love touting so much, and who have always given glowing reviews to MWO. Nobody else ever even bothers covering MWO or MW5 except PCGamer, which should tell you something right there.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Maybe... PGI is paying them for reviews? I know, such a thing has never happened before in the history of gaming.

E:

quote:

When I first saw MechWarrior 5 announced at MechCon 2016, the trailer sent the fans roaring. But when a dropship descended from the sky they lost their drat minds. At the time, I was a little confused. Then Bullock explained how so much of MechWarrior was caged inside the imaginations of players. They freaked out because that was the first time they had seen a dropship landing in-game and not just in their imagination.

Guess none of those people ever played MW2: Mercs.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 9, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

aniviron posted:

Trust literally nothing PCGamer writes about Mechwarrior or PGI. Game might or might not be good, but PCGamer have always had suspiciously friendly coverage of PGI; they're the ones who gave out the "Thinking man's shooter" tagline that PGI used to love touting so much, and who have always given glowing reviews to MWO. Nobody else ever even bothers covering MWO or MW5 except PCGamer, which should tell you something right there.
PC gaming and print media are in death throes, hail to our new console gaming overlords?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Skoll posted:

Maybe... PGI is paying them for reviews? I know, such a thing has never happened before in the history of gaming.

it really doesn't. usually it's just because someone's a huge fan, especially when it's a weird niche game that's getting overhyped.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Someone post chronojam's list of things pgi lied about.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

it really doesn't. usually it's just because someone's a huge fan, especially when it's a weird niche game that's getting overhyped.

Except in all the cases that game developers have been exposed as flat out paying for reviews in one way or another, buttering up the reviewers via hotels and food or otherwise.

This is a weird hill for you to try to die on.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They've already changed to HUD in the screenshots versus that initial announcement trailer. Instead of the weapons being kind of scattered across the screen, they've adopted something that looks a lot more MWO/MW4 style in terms of HUD.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Skoll posted:

Except in all the cases that game developers have been exposed as flat out paying for reviews in one way or another, buttering up the reviewers via hotels and food or otherwise.

accusations of it because someone falls for plain old hype are a lot more common than actual quid pro quos.

what seems more likely: some editor at the only PC print magazine gets way too hyped about an old PC-only video game franchise, or that before even launching their preorders PGI successfully bribed someone so well that PCGamer gave them years of glowing coverage?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

They've already changed to HUD in the screenshots versus that initial announcement trailer. Instead of the weapons being kind of scattered across the screen, they've adopted something that looks a lot more MWO/MW4 style in terms of HUD.

Yo can somebody put all the photos into an imgur album for me? The PCgamer images still won't load for me even on my phone.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Q_res posted:

They seem to be sticking with the paperdolls being mech-specific though, which makes me happy. Looks a lot better than having a generic mech icon for each one.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

Not to mention, they gave Transverse a positive writeup.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

accusations of it because someone falls for plain old hype are a lot more common than actual quid pro quos.

what seems more likely: some editor at the only PC print magazine gets way too hyped about an old PC-only video game franchise, or that before even launching their preorders PGI successfully bribed someone so well that PCGamer gave them years of glowing coverage?

Considering as someone said before that PC Gamer consistently polishes PGI's knob in the reviews, you tell me.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Skoll posted:

Considering as someone said before that PC Gamer consistently polishes PGI's knob in the reviews, you tell me.

You’re only narrowing that down to @2000 people, fyi.

e: in the mentally totally-stable MWO fanbase, that is :thejoke:.

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 10, 2017

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
those screenshots don't trigger me with awful scaling

so i guess that's something?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the MWO UI is made of bits of strong, glue, and hope. it's probably a lot easier to make one that sucks less when they don't have to deal with it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

teepo posted:

those screenshots don't trigger me with awful scaling

so i guess that's something?

I actually can't see the screenshots nor comments. I'm assuming it's due to conflicts with my adblock or ScriptSafe, but I'm not disabling either.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

I actually can't see the screenshots nor comments. I'm assuming it's due to conflicts with my adblock or ScriptSafe, but I'm not disabling either.

Try this facebook redirect link http://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-...uffer_pcgamerfb

It let me see the images.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BattleTech posted:

Try this facebook redirect link http://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-...uffer_pcgamerfb

It let me see the images.

That worked. Thanks.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cease to Hope posted:

the MWO UI is made of bits of strong, glue, and hope. it's probably a lot easier to make one that sucks less when they don't have to deal with it.

Probably helps that Unreal 4 has reasonable implementations of various UI technologies and Cryengine has decade-old Scaleform or nothing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BattleTech posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries-hands-on-the-series-goes-back-to-its-roots/

I can't wait for it to be riddled with loot boxes.

Fake edit:

It's not at all the fact that they lose the license in 2018 and need to get something out the door and an actual story would take time.

I thought they had an option to extend it out to 2020? I mean, I guess Microsoft could pull it in 2018 but unless they're planning on doing something with it they're probably happier getting a regular chunk of change from PGI for no effort.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Indeed, everyone acts as though Microsoft is going to snatch the license back at the first opportunity, but I'd hazard a guess that MS have absolutely no interest in making a Mechwarrior game of their own. When they bought the IP it was to muscle into the PC gaming market, and Mechwarrior was one of the bigger names in gaming. Now it's a tiny nothing, as the past half decade of MWO has shown, and I'm sure MS has noticed how few people play. They in turn are going to go, "Oh, well that's not worth our time and effort, but sure, feel free to keep paying us for the license to a property we have no interest in." There is an excellent chance that PGI will renew the contract before it expires; MS has no reason to want it, and PGI knows (thanks to Transverse) that nobody will touch anything they make without the Mechwarrior name on it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

aniviron posted:

Indeed, everyone acts as though Microsoft is going to snatch the license back at the first opportunity, but I'd hazard a guess that MS have absolutely no interest in making a Mechwarrior game of their own. When they bought the IP it was to muscle into the PC gaming market, and Mechwarrior was one of the bigger names in gaming. Now it's a tiny nothing, as the past half decade of MWO has shown, and I'm sure MS has noticed how few people play. They in turn are going to go, "Oh, well that's not worth our time and effort, but sure, feel free to keep paying us for the license to a property we have no interest in." There is an excellent chance that PGI will renew the contract before it expires; MS has no reason to want it, and PGI knows (thanks to Transverse) that nobody will touch anything they make without the Mechwarrior name on it.

The real question isn't whether Microsoft wants to make more MW games, it's whether there are any bigger players out there who would out-bid PGI for the license. Once upon a time MW titles were with Activision, for example, and they're still doing their thing. EA has a pipeline for shooters as well.

I'm not saying this is a thing that will happen, but when it comes to getting money out of their IP you know there is a bean counter somewhere in Redmond figuring out if what PGI pays is the most they can hope for, whether licensing or just selling the rights entirely.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm sure any other potentially-interested party has done the same math that Microsoft did, went, "Less than a thousand concurrent players, you say?" and then decided they didn't want the IP.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe if Battletech sells really well, bigger publishers will become interested in the franchise again. As it stands, who knows if PGI is barely scraping by or not but they're the only one with a profitable product despite how much hate there is for it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, I don't think the 1k concurrent players is a condemnation of MW/BT as an IP no one likes and more :pgi:

edit: Just looked it up, and BT got 42000 backers stumping up $2.7 million in their kickstarter. I don't know if those are earth shattering numbers or what, but it certainly indicates some interest in the franchise. Seeing how well it sells once it's out retail should be interesting.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Microsoft bringing Battletech back in house has to be compared to the opportunity cost of making a similar game using one of their pre-existing IPs. Any other AAA publisher touching Battletech has to be aware that they're increasing the value of an IP Microsoft might pull back in house at any time.

I can't see a situation where someone buys BT out from under PGI right now or any time soon.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Skoll posted:

Either both PGI and Harebrained bribed PC Gamer, or they just run really fawning fanboy hype pieces.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think the magazine titled "PC Gamer" might have a vested interest in portraying pc exclusive games in a positive light.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also what is the best IS light much and how should I load it out. Please no one say urbanmech.

E: Just remembered I bought the 3 missile hardpoint commando, how should I run it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
All it takes is bumping into a nerdy reviewer who's a BattleTech fan and it's going to get rave reviews.

Most of the nerdy reviewers who are BattleTech fans will be first in line for anything in the franchise.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Buschmaki posted:

Also what is the best IS light much and how should I load it out. Please no one say urbanmech.

E: Just remembered I bought the 3 missile hardpoint commando, how should I run it?

Run it in it’s mechbay and take out a locust instead. The K9 rules too fyi. :kheldragar:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

Either both PGI and Harebrained bribed PC Gamer, or they just run really fawning fanboy hype pieces.

Hmm. I see. So the nerds like a game that sublicensed from PGI so that means there is actually zero possibility of anything unethical ever having happened between PGI and PC Gamer. Checks out.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Skoll posted:

Hmm. I see. So the nerds like a game that sublicensed from PGI so that means there is actually zero possibility of anything unethical ever having happened between PGI and PC Gamer. Checks out.

I mean, they gave it a good review, but that's not really proof in and of itself. Unless there's more to go on, this seems like a pointless sidetrack.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Gate posted:

I mean, they gave it a good review, but that's not really proof in and of itself. Unless there's more to go on, this seems like a pointless sidetrack.

It was just discussing the point someone else made. My argument is only that it's possible, of course we'll never have solid proof.

Either way, MW5 is probably going to be total rear end. It sounds like they're trying to do what Battletech is doing, just without bothering to write a story for it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Buschmaki posted:

You should go back in time to the closed beta when before there were engine caps you could make that fucker go over 200kph, glitch constantly so no one could hit you and unload 100% CT accurate steaks on them in return. If you don't have a time machine, burn the commando.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Buschmaki posted:

Stealth armor and 3 SRM 2s.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

Buschmaki posted:

While the Urbie is actually one of the most viable IS lights at the moment, the best IS light would be the Wolfhound.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

okay, but the urban mech is a whole lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

All it takes is bumping into a nerdy reviewer who's a BattleTech fan and it's going to get rave reviews.

Most of the nerdy reviewers who are BattleTech fans will be first in line for anything in the franchise.

I will agree with you that the review is super fanboy'ey and overly gushing praises, but I gotta step up to bat for Lone Wolf. Outside of the nonsensical butt rock campaign(Getting away with Murder, really?), the multiplayer was phenomenal. Conquest mode being combine arms was so freaking addicting. Doing VTOL bombing runs with Elementals strapped to you to capture zones first and have you to try to hold the point while your lance catches up, or dropping a bridge on an enemy team to get a team wipe AND suddenly turning it into a choke point. Game was rad, makes me wish Reign of Thunder had gotten released after all

• Locked thread