Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Les Os posted:

gently caress New York, last year it made no sense to me that HRC, Trump, Sanders, O'Malley, Christie, Santorum and Pataki were all from the northeast and the top candidates all had heavy ties to the state of NY. I don't like that a 3rd of our media is produced for or focused there and I don't like that the concerns of the residents of our megalopolis are weighted heavier than the the concerns of the rest of the country

You're just a simpleton who can't handle the more worldly perspective living in New York can give you.

*Publishes an article about the time I shat myself when a homeless man made eye contact with me*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Les Os posted:

gently caress New York, last year it made no sense to me that HRC, Trump, Sanders, O'Malley, Christie, Santorum and Pataki were all from the northeast and the top candidates all had heavy ties to the state of NY. I don't like that a 3rd of our media is produced for or focused there and I don't like that the concerns of the residents of our megalopolis are weighted heavier than the the concerns of the rest of the country

This is what imperialism looks like. The most important people seem to come from one place that projects its worldview onto everybody else, and which has industries that control the decisive amount of capital. New York City is the de facto capital of the United States, and if Washington DC wasn't in the de jure limbo of being a Federal district - it would also have a massively outweighed political & cultural inflluence.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

At some point did people forget that New York City has normal everyday struggling Americans living in it? It's not 8 and half million Clinton Cultists on the Death March for Neo-Liberalism living here, there are people that wake up every loving day that worry about where their rent money is going to come from, if they'll have enough money to buy groceries, outsole struggling everyday to just be human while living on the streets. Your loving crazy to think three media elite would represent America better if it was based out of Des Moine. The problem isn't the location

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KomradeX posted:

At some point did people forget that New York City has normal everyday struggling Americans living in it? It's not 8 and half million Clinton Cultists on the Death March for Neo-Liberalism living here, there are people that wake up every loving day that worry about where their rent money is going to come from, if they'll have enough money to buy groceries, outsole struggling everyday to just be human while living on the streets. Your loving crazy to think three media elite would represent America better if it was based out of Des Moine. The problem isn't the location

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KomradeX posted:

they should rise up and overthrow the overlords then

https://youtu.be/VLbWnJGlyMU

got any sevens has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Oct 10, 2017

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is what imperialism looks like. The most important people seem to come from one place that projects its worldview onto everybody else, and which has industries that control the decisive amount of capital. New York City is the de facto capital of the United States, and if Washington DC wasn't in the de jure limbo of being a Federal district - it would also have a massively outweighed political & cultural inflluence.

i'm a maoist-flyoverist

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

got any sevens posted:

they should rise up and overthrow the overlords then

https://youtu.be/VLbWnJGlyMU

Maybe Kansas can overthrow theirs first?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Is that Jim Carrey?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KomradeX posted:

Maybe Kansas can overthrow theirs first?

Kansas' overlords are in New York though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is that Jim Carrey?

Chris Christie

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Location is always a decisive factor in historical development, and the struggles of everyday jagoffs don't matter in the formation of capitalist society.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

KomradeX posted:

the problem has nothing to do with where the elite decides to physically exist, it's that there is an elite at all

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Kansas' overlords are in New York though.

Last I checked Kansas Republicans don't live in New York

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Pat Roberts, republican senator from Kansas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Roberts

went to school at Kansas State University
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_State_University

where is their main campus?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan,_Kansas

how far does the rabbit hole go, neo?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Pat Roberts, republican senator from Kansas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Roberts

went to school at Kansas State University
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_State_University

where is their main campus?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan,_Kansas

how far does the rabbit hole go, neo?

Well my argument is destroyed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

And yet their wealth is more than likely being managed by New York firms, and they voted for the most New Yorkiest New York guy to be their president.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

And yet their wealth is more than likely being managed by New York firms, and they voted for the most New Yorkiest New York guy to be their president.

And yet it's not New York that has destroyed their school system and bankrupted the state to give wealthy Kansans tax cuts. You can blame New York all you want but New York didn't give them Sam Brown.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

You washy to talk about how the major population centers aren't considering the needs of rural people, yet these local politicians don't care about the needs of rural people.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

And yet it's not New York that has destroyed their school system and bankrupted the state to give wealthy Kansans tax cuts. You can blame New York all you want but New York didn't give them Sam Brown.

Brownback's policies were literally written by right wing East Coast think tanks fueled by billionaire dark money. Politics are never purely local in an imperialistic framework.

It's hard to even tell exactly what it is you're reacting against. Nobody said that Mets fans covered in mustard stains have an excessive cultural and political influence on the rest of the country.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i'm a maoist-flyoverist

Same honestly.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

love 2 objectify breast cancer, aka the sexiest cancer

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i wonder if male sentiment towards breast cancer would change if all mastectomies resulted in massive breast implants

how much of breast cancer awareness is tied up in boob lust

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Someone could probably use the whole Breast Cancer Awareness thing to study the failures of feminism in America.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the brands are now competing to be the least woke

https://twitter.com/SawMovie/status/915980434609102848

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atrocious Joe posted:

Which one is the unwoke brand here? Makes perfect sense to me: Wallstreet is jigsaw and America is the sadistic murder trap.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Atrocious Joe posted:

Loving the accidental They Live reference

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Brownback's policies were literally written by right wing East Coast think tanks fueled by billionaire dark money. Politics are never purely local in an imperialistic framework.

It's hard to even tell exactly what it is you're reacting against. Nobody said that Mets fans covered in mustard stains have an excessive cultural and political influence on the rest of the country.

That you somehow think New York is an imperialist aggressor in this is insane. That'a what I'm reacting too. Because it's really loving weird seeing supposed leftist adopt Right Wing criticism of New York unironcally and calling it anti-imperialism. It doesn't matter where Therese think tanks are located but local politicians still follow their ideological views.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the empire state

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

New York, the Wall Street state, has done untold damage to midwest economies.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

New York, the Wall Street state, has done untold damage to midwest economies.

Hasn't done much good for New York's economy either. Look at the Right Wing hellscape that is Upstate New York gutted just as badly as the Midwest. NYC has poverty all over the place where the service jobs can barley cover rent. It's not like New Yorkers are all living fat on the hog off of the old wealth of Mid-West. You want to talk about how evil Wall Street, Capitalism and the Capitalist are yeah they should be hanged from every light pole from Whitehall to Colombus Circle. But acting like New York is the cause and not capitalism is loving regionalist bullshit

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

you're thinking about this too much from a strictly political framework and not enough about how imperialism functions as a system of capital.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

KomradeX posted:

Hasn't done much good for New York's economy either. Look at the Right Wing hellscape that is Upstate New York gutted just as badly as the Midwest. NYC has poverty all over the place where the service jobs can barley cover rent. It's not like New Yorkers are all living fat on the hog off of the old wealth of Mid-West. You want to talk about how evil Wall Street, Capitalism and the Capitalist are yeah they should be hanged from every light pole from Whitehall to Colombus Circle. But acting like New York is the cause and not capitalism is loving regionalist bullshit

Imagine an argument that the British Empire wasn't imperialist because of the brutal conditions its proletariat were subjected to.

Of course capitalism is the cause, but capital often acts through imperialism.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you're thinking about this too much from a strictly political framework and not enough about how imperialism functions as a system of capital.

And Capital and imperialism are political frameworks

The Kingfish posted:

Imagine an argument that the British Empire wasn't imperialist because of the brutal conditions its proletariat were subjected to.

Of course capitalism is the cause, but capital often acts through imperialism.

I didn't realize the NYPD were occupying Michigan

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

KomradeX posted:

I didn't realize the NYPD were occupying Michigan

Wall Street pays for Detroit cops to drag families out of their houses. New York state allows this to happen.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this is a dumb conversation

ny is bad because people use it as part of their identity. all nationalism/regionalism must be destroyed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

And Capital and imperialism are political frameworks

yeah, it's all interconnected. that's the point. power projects out from the greatest centers of capital concentration.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Full Jeb!unism now!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

Wall Street pays for Detroit cops to drag families out of their houses. New York state allows this to happen.

Lansing does this not New York State. Acting as if the local capitalists don't have more control over state add local politics is just absurd.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

yeah, it's all interconnected. that's the point. power projects out from the greatest centers of capital concentration.

As you said the problem is capitalism. Not New York. And as I said above trying to claim that New York has colonized America ignores the power local capitalists have on local add state politics, the politics that impact peoples lives on a daily basis.

Relin posted:

this is a dumb conversation

ny is bad because people use it as part of their identity. all nationalism/regionalism must be destroyed

This is true and what I've been trying to get at. Nationalism and Regionalism is stupid.

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Oct 10, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

As you said the problem is capitalism. Not New York. And as I said above trying to claim that New York has colonized America ignores the power local capitalists have on local add state politics, the politics that impact peoples lives on a daily basis.

Using local elites to control affairs is how the British empire operated, you know.

Again, you're taking this way too literally. All we're doing here is explaining why New York City has such a massively outweighed influence on the rest of the country, and you keep reacting like it's not real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm not saying new yorkers are bad because they care about the yankee's, I'm not discussing those new yorkers. I'm referring to the firms in wall-street, i.e. the heart of capitalism.

Yes those firms also exist in Chicago, Connecticut, Delaware, etc etc. but New York is the symbol.