Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Finished up at the state fair, one of our rabbits earned a leg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Like...he gets to keep one of his legs?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Like...he gets to keep one of his legs?
His rabbit beat all of the other rabbits and is one step closer to becoming a grand champion rabbit.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I can't wait until he wins his senior leg.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Hi thread. A person in my social circles who is well known for her poor life choices has emerged from her divorce and declared publicly her intent to become a lawyer. "I LOVE arguing with people" and the rest of the bingo card. Is there a current tl;dr pitch to try and convince her it's a terrible decision? The one on the first page is harrowing but also seven years old.

I mean, she's absolutely going to do it because it's the worst possible idea, but if I at least attempt to save her and she ignores me I get to enjoy her suffering with a clear conscience.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I admire your optimism.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Javid posted:

Hi thread. A person in my social circles who is well known for her poor life choices has emerged from her divorce and declared publicly her intent to become a lawyer. "I LOVE arguing with people" and the rest of the bingo card. Is there a current tl;dr pitch to try and convince her it's a terrible decision? The one on the first page is harrowing but also seven years old.

I mean, she's absolutely going to do it because it's the worst possible idea, but if I at least attempt to save her and she ignores me I get to enjoy her suffering with a clear conscience.

You can probably find more recent images of the bimodal salary distribution (spoiler: it's still bimodal), and more recent lawyer unemployment stats for your/her area. If she's willing to do a little reading, this book is short and inexpensive:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Well, at least she already got the divorce out of the way.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Staryberry posted:

Do any of you use software to help create documents? I'm an estate planning attorney, so we use a lot of form documents where everything stays the same except for the names. Right now, I draft a memo and my assistant types the names into a form word document and saves it to the client's file. This is wildly inefficient. For example, I have to double check that she hasn't misspelled JOHN DOE as JON DOE, each time it appears in the document. I would love to have a form where I could type in JOHN DOE once and it would populate the entire suite of documents we are doing for a client, and if the client shows up and wants to change their name to JOHN H. DOE, it is a simple process. I feel like mail merge could probably do this, if I spent some time to figure it out, but I was wondering if there is any software (particularly software that older non-technologically prone attorneys can figure out) that would make this an easy task.

For that specific use case, all you need is mailmerge.

On your broader question, it's becoming quite standard now in the UK and Australia to automate the creation of at least first drafts. My day job is to make it standard in Asia too, which includes selling software that does this and running a team that handles the actual automation (the buzzwords are document assembly and contract automation if you want to google what's out there). Not sure about the US but we do good business there so I guess it's growing.

There are a few different brands. Contract Express is our one; the other ones we see are Hotdocs and Exari, although Exari is pretty dated right now and probably on the way out. There are doubtless a bunch of startups too though I don't really see much of them here in Asia except for a local one called Dragonlaw that targets the mass market. Good software is on about the 3rd or 4th generation now, and it's a lot less clunky than it used to be when I was in private practice.

A good system is one that lets you:
* create a template contract in MS Word
* still in Word, mark up optional text, conditional text etc and write the questions whose answers control that conditional text
* upload the template to a server
* every time you want to make a new document, answer the questionnaire instead of working in Word
* go change the template yourself if you need to later instead of paying the vendor to do it for you

If you're interested then just submit an enquiry to the contract express website, any issues then PM me and I can find who handles accounts for wherever you're based.

Also seeing this stuff in use warms my cynical and jaded ex-lawyer heart because every partner we pitch to tells us that his documents are too sophisticated to automate and it's always a complete loving lie, and it's very entertaining to show them how cookie cutter their documents actually are.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Toona the Cat posted:

I love you almost as much as your study partner does.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

The first one, anyhow.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

I love you almost as much as your study partner does.

Oh I thought he reunited with his second wife?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I thought he was on new girlfriend after study partner. I'm still waiting on throatwarbler to post the email so I got distracted.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm still waiting on throatwarbler to post the email

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&userid=143660&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post475204391

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

“Hot Dog Day #91” posted:

Oh I thought he reunited with his second wife?

This is accurate.

In June, I defended some crazy rear end in a top hat at a magistrate hearing for being a crazy rear end in a top hat and harassment. The cop had a super hard on to violate this guy's probation, but the magistrate agreed with me and suspended sentence for 90 days.

Then in August, I got a call from my ex-wife that she got a citation for careless driving for hitting a guy on a motorcycle. Turns out the guy was my same client from June, and it's the same cop. I talk to the cop, and he's going to agree to drop the points and make it a minimal fine.

She takes me to dinner as a thanks, we talk about some things, and now we're reconciling.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
nice work at sleeping with a client toona

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

We're missing the career services email

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hoshi posted:

We're missing the career services email

Exactly, plus he redacted the only part anyone cared about.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

I had to give the lady who cut my hair "the talk" this weekend.

I said, "Imagine you have this friend, who's a huge fuckup. Now, imagine if you took all your friend's problems and made them your own, and its your job to fix them. Now imagine that if you didn't solve them, it would ruin their life forever and it would be your fault. Now also imagine that there is another person actively working to ruin your friend's life, and that person is getting paid to do it and is really good at it.

Now also imagine that friend is continuing to gently caress up, and the people you've asked to help him are also trying to gently caress up, and all of this can cost them everything.

Now imagine that you have 20-50 people like this at all times, and if you mess up any one thing for any of them, you lose your job, and you lose every penny of the $100,000(what a bargain!) you spent (on school) to get that job."

And she was like, "What, so you just can't care about them?"

And I said, "No - you care deeply about all of them, and it crushes you when you lose, every time. Its the most stressful thing you've ever done, and whats worse is you never know whats coming next, so all you can do is prepare and prepare in an ever expanding loop of possible things and you never know when you're done or when you're ready, so all you do is continue to stress, and never stop stressing about any of it.

It has almost nothing to do with arguing - its about juggling the chainsaws of crisis for twenty+ people at once, while they, and all the attorneys you're fighting against, are trying to knock the chainsaws out of sequence."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, people who "love to argue" don't make good attorneys - they make for obstinate, unsuccessful shitheels who cause everyone more trouble and money than had the other side just shown up pro se.

I had an arbitration with a guy who "loved to argue" the other day. We offered them $3,500 for the warranty, but they said, "no." They proceeded to spend $25,000 in attorneys fees over a $3,500 warranty, even though the warranty says, "no attorney's fees." The arbitrator awarded them $800.00, and no attorneys fees.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

I said, "Imagine you have this friend, who's a huge fuckup. Now, imagine if you took all your friend's problems and made them your own, and its your job to fix them. Now imagine that if you didn't solve them, it would ruin their life forever and it would be your fault. Now also imagine that there is another person actively working to ruin your friend's life, and that person is getting paid to do it and is really good at it.

Now also imagine that friend is continuing to gently caress up, and the people you've asked to help him are also trying to gently caress up, and all of this can cost them everything.

Now imagine that you have 20-50 people like this at all times, and if you mess up any one thing for any of them, you lose your job, and you lose every penny of the $100,000(what a bargain!) you spent (on school) to get that job."

And I said, "No - you care deeply about all of them, and it crushes you when you lose, every time. Its the most stressful thing you've ever done, and whats worse is you never know whats coming next, so all you can do is prepare and prepare in an ever expanding loop of possible things and you never know when you're done or when you're ready, so all you do is continue to stress, and never stop stressing about any of it.

It has almost nothing to do with arguing - its about juggling the chainsaws of crisis for twenty+ people at once, while they, and all the attorneys you're fighting against, are trying to knock the chainsaws out of sequence."

How are you inside my head? :psyduck:

I even went "wait, 20-50 sounds like a lot active" and did a quick mental inventory and yeah, pretty much.

blarzgh posted:

Also, people who "love to argue" don't make good attorneys - they make for obstinate, unsuccessful shitheels who cause everyone more trouble and money than had the other side just shown up pro se.

I had an arbitration with a guy who "loved to argue" the other day. We offered them $3,500 for the warranty, but they said, "no." They proceeded to spend $25,000 in attorneys fees over a $3,500 warranty, even though the warranty says, "no attorney's fees." The arbitrator awarded them $800.00, and no attorneys fees.

Also very accurate.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Schmoozing and sweet talking opposing counsel is by far my favorite part of client representation. I don't understand why people argue the dumbest of minutiae endlessly.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blarzgh posted:

It's the start of my second full week as a public defender and I already have about 25 cases. Full load is about 130-150.

Toona the Cat posted:

Schmoozing and sweet talking opposing counsel is by far my favorite part of client representation. I don't understand why people argue the dumbest of minutiae endlessly.

Had to edit for this, but I 100% agree.

My office has less than 10 attorneys. Almost every person in the courthouse has un-apologetically let me know they hate one of them and have told me to not be like her. She fights on EVERYTHING and is super stand-offish with the Prosecutors. Today I went into the county attorneys' office to look through discovery and they found what I needed in about 3 minutes. They make her file motions.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 9, 2017

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Being a jerk is a bad idea just in general.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

http://gothamist.com/2017/10/09/racist_l_train_dude_gets_souped.php

Is it too much to expect from an American law graduate that they would know this isn't what "1st amendment rights" means, even when drunk on tenth rate beer mixers?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Dagda posted:

http://gothamist.com/2017/10/09/racist_l_train_dude_gets_souped.php

Is it too much to expect from an American law graduate that they would know this isn't what "1st amendment rights" means, even when drunk on tenth rate beer mixers?

Legally, he's 100% correct.
Morally, he's 100% an rear end in a top hat.
The law often allows what morality forbids.
Just about everything in the law involves either shrinking that gap or exploiting it.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

joat mon posted:

Legally, he's 100% correct.
Morally, he's 100% an rear end in a top hat.
The law often allows what morality forbids.
Just about everything in the law involves either shrinking that gap or exploiting it.

Yeah, I'm commenting specifically on invoking the first when there are no state actors around. Obviously he is legally allowed to say poo poo.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lol this got linked on our favorite patent blog
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3049275

quote:

In this article, we establish that the usual argument for why patent bar eligible students are not coming to law school, that is, that there are too few jobs (we call this the Employment Hypothesis), does not apply. In fact, patent attorneys with the appropriate background (mechanical, electrical, chemical or computer engineering degrees or “MECC Engineers”) are quite attractive on the employment market. Yet, they still do not come to law school. 

quote:

In the end, this article concludes that MECC Engineers are very employable as patent attorneys. However, the very rationality that leads them to a degree in MECC engineering may be the rationality that diverts them from law school.

tldr engineers: go to law school lol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress you pay me

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Even if that was true you'd have to work with patents and gently caress that.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Toona the Cat posted:

I don't understand why people argue the dumbest of minutiae endlessly.

Deterrence, game theory and zealous advocacy

are feel-good terms that justify being a prick to opposing counsel

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

the goal is to wear you down until you're used to giving into their poo poo

the only real way to deal with those sorts of people is to give them hard lines and refuse to deal until they start being reasonable

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zo posted:

lol this got linked on our favorite patent blog
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3049275

tldr engineers: go to law school lol

Lol my engineer friend (Berkeley engineer with real engineering job) went to law school, had to go to a mediocre school because whoops they only care about LSAT/GPA numbers and public engineering schools still actually grade people outside of a 3.7-4.0 system, did a summer at a fairly large patent prosecution firm, and was let go less than a year after graduation. He hasn't touched IP law since.

Don't go to law school, engineers.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I bet (no data to back this up) most future law students go into undergrad knowing they want to go to law school.

And that those same people major in history or poli sci because "that's what lawyers major in."

I was one of those people. Honestly if you had told me that I could major in STEM and have better employment prospects than otherwise, I would have done that in a heartbeat. I just didn't know.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Beefeater1980 posted:

Also seeing this stuff in use warms my cynical and jaded ex-lawyer heart because every partner we pitch to tells us that his documents are too sophisticated to automate and it's always a complete loving lie, and it's very entertaining to show them how cookie cutter their documents actually are.

I've used contract express to create tools for automating answers, discovery requests/responses, and settlement agreements.

None of them really save time compared to finding the doc from another case that the partner signed off on and using control-h. I
compared my time and there's not a consistent difference, let alone a big one.

Is your comment specific to transactional work?

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

disjoe posted:

I bet (no data to back this up) most future law students go into undergrad knowing they want to go to law school.

And that those same people major in history or poli sci because "that's what lawyers major in."

I was one of those people. Honestly if you had told me that I could major in STEM and have better employment prospects than otherwise, I would have done that in a heartbeat. I just didn't know.

Well what else were we going to do after all this history factories closed up shop?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I hate schmoozing. I don't have time for that poo poo. Give me what I want or we're going to trial BITCH

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i graduated college in 2003 looking for programming work

in miami

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Omerta posted:

I've used contract express to create tools for automating answers, discovery requests/responses, and settlement agreements.

None of them really save time compared to finding the doc from another case that the partner signed off on and using control-h. I
compared my time and there's not a consistent difference, let alone a big one.

Is your comment specific to transactional work?

Yes, automation shines when you get to suites of documents with a lot of reactivity or where you want to automate fiddly drafting, pluralisation and so on across clauses (e.g. I used to do PE M&A work: the Term Sheet, SHA, SPA and ancillary documents all key off the same questionnaire, which is a huge time saver versus creating them individually).

If all you are doing is creating fields that you are going to type in manually then it doesn't add anything you can't do with ctrl+h, although the UI is a lot friendlier. Compared with selecting, for example, the jurisdiction of incorporation of a target company and having it figure out what dispute resolution and governing law language to add and the proper corporate form etc.

That said my only experience with litigation was six miserable months doing bundling and the odd memo as a trainee so ymmv- I think a number of firms use it for court forms. My practising experience is 10 years, all transactional.

Fwiw, typically the first two depts to automate are real estate and employment, based on our customer annual surveys. Third is corporate.

My comment about cookie cutter documents is also rooted in M&A tbh. Usually, an SPA for example is negotiated and has a lot of deviation from the precedent, but the deviation is on known lines: there are only a few positions that really crop up on things like limitation of liability, length of warranty period, standard or custom conditions precedent etc. Once you sit down and draft those positions into a template, you realise just how little actual free drafting goes into what is otherwise thought of as a "bespoke" document.