Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Any kind of mage is overpowered as hell. I'm a big fan of the Alteration tree for just about any build since it has some really nice perks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Alteration + Conjuration and go around walloping dudes with a bound hammer, all buffed up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

What are people's preferred builds with ortinator? I'm reinstalling now that SSE has SKSE/SKYUI. I was thinking a sneaking mage that uses a lot of illusion and destruction, but I always sneak in Skyrim.

Stealthy Vampire Illusionist.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CascadeBeta posted:

What are people's preferred builds with ortinator? I'm reinstalling now that SSE has SKSE/SKYUI. I was thinking a sneaking mage that uses a lot of illusion and destruction, but I always sneak in Skyrim.

Kajit punchman

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just did a 2h/heavy/necromancy which was kinda fun. Throw in smithing and enchanting to taste.

No followers because I just swing my weapons around like crazy and the dead don't bitch about it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey, dumb question: did Bethesda ever fix up the special edition's wonky audio or what?

With SKSE and SkyUI being available now, and having had to install it just to claim the dumb survival mode while it was free just because, I'm vaguely tempted to start a new playthrough.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Alteration + Conjuration and go around walloping dudes with a bound hammer, all buffed up.

What mod did you get for the bound hammer? I'm all about bound weapons + robes because leveling smithing is boring as hell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CFox posted:

What mod did you get for the bound hammer? I'm all about bound weapons + robes because leveling smithing is boring as hell.

Bound Armory Extravaganza is what I use. It plays well with Ordinator. (No SE edition available yet that I can see.)

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Boo, I'm all aboard to SE train. I'll keep an eye out for it down the road.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

toasterwarrior posted:

Is the free survival mode actually good or should most people just go through the effort of setting up the usual mods?

I'll go back to this because looking at the new official forums I saw this and :laffo:
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/107464/some-things-i-d-like-to-see-changed-in-survival-mode

quote:

• it takes 3h 40m to go from Well Fed to Peckish. That means you'll have to eat cooked food more than 6 times every single day.
    As a PC player who was able to lower the timescale, it's almost fine... but I imagine that it has to be pretty tedious on consoles.
  • It's the same for fatigue. After Well Rested it only takes 7-8 hours to be drained again. That's nowhere near being realistic. Each of us is awake for more than 14 hours every single day and the big mighty Dragonborn gets down after just 8 hours?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

I'll go back to this because looking at the new official forums I saw this and :laffo:
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/107464/some-things-i-d-like-to-see-changed-in-survival-mode

lol gently caress that then

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cat Mattress posted:

We all knew this was going to be Bethesda'd up though so none of us are really surprised.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Cat Mattress posted:

Hey, dumb question: did Bethesda ever fix up the special edition's wonky audio or what?

They did: https://bethesda.net/community/topic/3048/skyrim-special-edition-1-1-51-steam-beta

The files in Sounds.bsa are all in wav format at least.

Edit: Oh God, can someone give me a small loan so I can change my avatar?

gasman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 10, 2017

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

gasman posted:

Edit: Oh God, can someone give me a small loan so I can change my avatar?

Your avatar is now some lovely art of mine, enjoy.

So that this isn't completely off topic, does anyone have any recommendations for sse female skin textures? The one I use for old rim looks terrrible, I think cause of a lack of subsurface scattering makes it unnervingly porcelain doll-like.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

NiftyBottle posted:

Your avatar is now some lovely art of mine, enjoy.

Fantastic. Thank you.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Sort of. Some things were definitely updates after people complained, but not everything was addressed. For example, I think the music is still lower quality, but I often disable music, use Psyrim, or else have the entire game nearly mute while listening to other things, so not a big deal.

Similar for other audio, since most of those sounds are replaced with things like Audio Overhaul 2, Immersive Sounds, or whatever else; something I would use anyway, because even LE had a very poor soundscape with irrational attenuation/reverb/etc. Things I have no idea about - but can notice quite plainly when running something like Audio Overhaul 2.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I've never played Skyrim before and I've decided to take a run at it. I've apparently got both the original and the special edition on Steam for some reason, but I'm unclear on how much, if any, I should mod at the start. Is a vanilla SE playthrough the best for a first run?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Azathoth posted:

I've never played Skyrim before and I've decided to take a run at it. I've apparently got both the original and the special edition on Steam for some reason, but I'm unclear on how much, if any, I should mod at the start. Is a vanilla SE playthrough the best for a first run?

probably

itll give you a good idea of what you want to change in the future

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Definitely play SE instead of Oldrim. There's really no reason to play the latter unless you already have it all modded to hell and back or have an old computer that can't handle SE.

Or if you want some specific anime titties mod that doesn't exist for SE I guess.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Since it's your first run, play Special Edition - and just play vanilla. Vanilla really isn't bad - there are some more broad game design faults I could cite, but outside of the user interface nothing is really "bad", and even the UI works for the early game - it's just a cluster gently caress when your inventory starts to get jam packed, which of course gets worse with mods.

I actually had fun replaying strictly vanilla when Special Edition first released and mods for it basically didn't exist.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Excellent, thanks very much to all of you for the advice!

Fyril
Nov 23, 2004

Mod List: https://pastebin.com/8wwLTjxu (Sorry, Modwatch is down)

I have a fairly heavily modded Skyrim SE in Mod Organizer 2 that was rock solid until about twelve hours into the game. I was following the main quest to Ivarstead and fought in a battle between Imperials and Stormcloaks (probably part of immersive patrols or warzones). When I reached Ivarstead I quicksaved and the game crashed straight to desktop. No freezing, no message, nothing. I assumed it was a fluke and reloaded my last autosave and performed mostly the same actions. Tried to save in Ivarstead again and another crash. I started trying to troubleshoot at that point. I traveled to Markarth and tried to save and another crash. Went inside a house and tried again for yet another crash. I used coc UnownedCell and tried to save there and still no success.

Not every single quicksave would crash the game. Sometimes I'd have a successful quicksave, rest for an hour, try again, then crash. Sometimes I'd crash after the rest ended automatically. Sometimes I'd crash upon transitioning to a new cell. I've spent a few hours researching this issue but I can't find any definitive answer. I tried player.kill and a lot of other common solutions and at this point I've given up on my current save. I would like to find the culprit so I can start a new game with the hopes that it won't all be for nothing hours into it. I've already discovered that I shouldn't be running Immersive Citizen AI with Dawn of Skyrim Remastered. I would appreciate any other input anyone can offer on likely causes. Performance wise I've had no problems. I'm running a Geforce 980 Ti, 16 GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i7 4790K.

Please let me know if I can provide any other information that would help.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I would say skyui is close to essential, by there's no harm to playing vanilla until it annoys you.

the in game mod browser is actually not terrible, and I had good results from just grabbing everything that looks interesting from there, though using a proper mod organiser is best.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So does ENB just flat out not work on Windows 10 or what (I'm not on Special Edition)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

So does ENB just flat out not work on Windows 10 or what (I'm not on Special Edition)

It works but Windows 10 limits the amount of video ram you can use. That's supposedly being fixed with the next big Windows update.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is the survival mode still free?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

tweet my meat posted:

Is the survival mode still free?

The offer lasted up to the 10th, so unless you can IRL reload your save from three days ago, no.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

The offer lasted up to the 10th, so unless you can IRL reload your save from three days ago, no.

My autosave got corrupted and my last hard save was before I finished college, and gently caress if I'm doing that grind again.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Cat Mattress posted:

Ah, I was thinking of getting Skyrim and trying it out, but I guess I'll just pass. How much does it actually cost?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

tweet my meat posted:

Ah, I was thinking of getting Skyrim and trying it out, but I guess I'll just pass. How much does it actually cost?

Well it uses a funbux unit. I think 500 store credits? Or perhaps 800? There are conflicting reports.

You're given 100 credits for free when you create a Creation Club account, so you only need to buy 400 (or 700?) more. And of course as usual with funbux you can't buy how many you want -- you have to buy a pack of them. That means that you'll get some leftover points, that will serve to tempt you into buying more stuff with them, and so on. So basically you'll have to spend 15 bucks but then you'll have leftover credits to get some extra stuff. Meh.

From what I've read on the Internet, Survival Mode makes you roleplay as a hobbit, because you need six meals a day and a mid-day nap in order to stay healthy.

Here's how you can make yourself a better ultimate lore-friendly immersive HD special edition experience: build camps, keep warm, find food, water, and rest, stay dry and stay clean.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
As someone who doesn't want to lean super hard into survival stuff on this character (Gonna do a false light focused Paladin character then respec into a vampire illusionist when that gets boring), how I'd the lite/easy setting on frostfall compares to the default settings? Is it worth running, or should I just stick with the default settings?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Cat Mattress posted:

Well it uses a funbux unit. I think 500 store credits? Or perhaps 800? There are conflicting reports.

You're given 100 credits for free when you create a Creation Club account, so you only need to buy 400 (or 700?) more. And of course as usual with funbux you can't buy how many you want -- you have to buy a pack of them. That means that you'll get some leftover points, that will serve to tempt you into buying more stuff with them, and so on. So basically you'll have to spend 15 bucks but then you'll have leftover credits to get some extra stuff. Meh.

From what I've read on the Internet, Survival Mode makes you roleplay as a hobbit, because you need six meals a day and a mid-day nap in order to stay healthy.

Here's how you can make yourself a better ultimate lore-friendly immersive HD special edition experience: build camps, keep warm, find food, water, and rest, stay dry and stay clean.

I've got a PS4 and a lovely laptop, so anything but sony friendly mods are out of the question. I'll probably just pass on skyrim altogether if it's gonna be like 4-7 bucks just to be able to play survival mode.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

are there any good civil war overhaul mods? I know Apollodown's was kind of a bloated mess and then he went insane and decided nobody deserved any of his mods because of the bad politician man, are there alternatives

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I'm wanting to dive into Skyrim again, using the special edition. I'm looking for suggestions on some mods. I'd like it to be super preposterous overpowered magic, and more varied and interesting population. Skyrim SE there yet?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

yegods posted:

I'm wanting to dive into Skyrim again, using the special edition. I'm looking for suggestions on some mods. I'd like it to be super preposterous overpowered magic, and more varied and interesting population. Skyrim SE there yet?

Ortinator with Apocalypse will give you the magic part of that request.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

Ortinator with Apocalypse will give you the magic part of that request.

This. I’m doing an unarmored Apocalypse mage playthrough on Master difficulty and at level 30ish every fight boils down to “how do I want to play with these mobs before I blow them all to pieces?” Legendary makes you feel a bit less OP, but you have to deal with damage sponges in a way that isn’t that fun.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

kedo posted:

This. I’m doing an unarmored Apocalypse mage playthrough on Master difficulty and at level 30ish every fight boils down to “how do I want to play with these mobs before I blow them all to pieces?” Legendary makes you feel a bit less OP, but you have to deal with damage sponges in a way that isn’t that fun.

Sounds pretty good. I'll give Apocalypse a try. Thanks to both.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'd add the apocalypse creator's "Spectraverse" in there too. :)

It's a neat little magic/quest mod with a Light/Dark theme to the spells.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of magic mods, I already know that all of EnaiSiaion's mods are heavily recommended, but what do you think of these ones?

• Elemental Destruction Magic (three new branches of destruction magic: earth, water, and wind)
  • Adept - Magic of Ash (alteration ash spells for attack and protection)
  • Phenderix Magic World (a huge ton of magic-related stuff -- to be honest I think I'd rather use just two of its submods, arcane archery and elemental fighter)
  • Magic Duel (push your enemy's spell back in his face; might want to try using the SKSE version with SKSE64 alpha)
  • Witchhunter Spell and Prayer Pack (a bunch of spells that are used as powers, so they can be used hand-free)
  • Elder Scrolls Tome (spells from Morrowind and Oblivion)
  • Bound Tools (you're a mage, you can summon arms and armor, why couldn't you summon a pickaxe when you need one?)
  • Also there's Dwemertech which is an older Enai mod ported by third-parties. While the original author abandoned it, it seems cool nonetheless.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

kedo posted:

Could you give me a rundown of your average magic/spell-use in combat and a rough equipment layout?

I'm also on Apocalypse, but have a bit of a mage/thief/assassin type of deal that I'm having a bit if a hard time with