Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's totally viable to not tank swap at minimum ilvl for O4 normal, you just kind of have to know what you're doing & it sounds like those two didn't.
I've only ever healed for good tanks that had good gear in deltascape; haven't experienced good tanks with low ilvl gear. I just heal for fun, so I'm not all that serious about it, but... ugh, these guys. You'd figure if you were a tank and you see people dropping like flies, it'd be best to switch into tank stance and go easy to help out the healers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm not entirely sure i'd blame that one on the tanks, though. if your dps are dying to o4n mechanics the amount of mp you're going to spend healing a dps stance tank vs one in tank stance is fairly negligible compared to having to res two or three dead dps.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If anyone dies in normal you stop immediately and begin typing out a pact with the other healer to leave them dead as a warning to the others.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also yeah if someone is dying in o4n i'd probably leave them on the ground because i doubt they're a valuable addition to the force

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dang that hildibrand quest was uh, short.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Countblanc posted:

dang that hildibrand quest was uh, short.

They did basically say it'd be a prologue.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It came up in FC chat, so I figured I'd ask the thread. Has anyone received all of the veteran rewards or is it just the Strife gear that's gone out for now?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Yoo if any of you Excal nerds managed to grab a large Shirogane plot and want to make some money, pm me.

I refuse to let this game beat me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My squadron AI tank out damages my AI rogue, haha.

Rogue was really just that bad before ninja I guess.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Do you have to have a normal group comp for those?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone have any problems with ACT after the update? keep getting 'failed to scan memory' now.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone have any problems with ACT after the update? keep getting 'failed to scan memory' now.

Mine keeps hardlocking my computer

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Anyone on Excal have a small plot they can hook me up with? I was planning to grab me a specific plot in shirogane but thanks to the launcher making GBS threads out I'd be happy to just have a place to garden and decorate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ACT always has to be updated every new patch. The update presumably just isn't out yet.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

SonicRulez posted:

It came up in FC chat, so I figured I'd ask the thread. Has anyone received all of the veteran rewards or is it just the Strife gear that's gone out for now?

The site said it might take a few days for everything to go out

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm focusing on Monk these days. Did anything actually change about them this patch?

Also, what materia.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
4.1 Hildibrand: GREG'S BACK. Also: glorious puns.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Shinryu Ex is super fun, and also if you're looking for a healing challenge outside V4S it offers quite a lot. Made it to what I assume the last phase, 35%ish percent (where you see the whole dargon) and it feels super different from story mode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is there only one Hildy quest right now?

SonicRulez posted:

You look away for a few weeks and suddenly there's a whole bunch of stuff to do. What's the word on the Ivalice raid? Very cool?

I sure would love to complete it, but everyone keeps ragequitting on Boss #2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Daynab posted:

Shinryu Ex is super fun, and also if you're looking for a healing challenge outside V4S it offers quite a lot. Made it to what I assume the last phase, 35%ish percent (where you see the whole dargon) and it feels super different from story mode.

How would you rate the difficulty? Are all the good players in any given data center going to clear it within a few days or will non-lovely learning parties still be around at the end of the week?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As much of a struggle as it'll be to do it I'm gonna hold off on Hildy until the end of the patch cycle so I can mainline it all in one go.

Its so hard to hold off :saddowns:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anyone had any issues with out of game hotkeys not working when the game is in focus anymore? My push to talk key for Discord no longer functions if FF14 is the focus window, same with my sharex hotkeys. Just started with todays patch, pretty annoying.

Did you restart the game? If the launcher got UAC elevated (for patching) then the game is launched elevated too, which would presumably muck with overlays.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Any word on how to get the emotes you don't get from grand company seals and the MSQ? Particularly /ritualprayer

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That sounds like a kojin thing, but I'm guessing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Any word on how to get the emotes you don't get from grand company seals and the MSQ? Particularly /ritualprayer

Go to /church :haw:

KoB
May 1, 2009
I thought they said we'd get stuff from the squad dungeons?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bolow posted:

It's not exactly a hot take to imply that spending a significant chunk of your treasury to help a group of people who are for better or worse, not your citizens would piss off a shitload of the less fortunate who do happen to be citizens of your nation.

My issue was less with that and more with implying that people getting help would stay perpetually "lazy and poor".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish they allowed you to change squadron jobs to what was added in the expansion. Surely they know that these classes, while OK, do have a lifespan of 30 levels, right? You can do a level 50 dungeon and that's 20 levels of missed abilities from the advanced classes. On top of making them jobs that don't have a default class.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My bot loving Goaded me GOTY.

Edit: Even at 46 I got a level from botting vigil and it takes like ~17 minutes 2 of which are waiting for the jerk final boss to stop leaving.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 11, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
24 man had the best bosses in any 24 man so far, mechanics were really enjoyable.

there's also a blame yourself or god at the end, which rules

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 11, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i love my new botany mount

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MSQ: I can't believe Raubahn got loving dumped.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Countblanc posted:

i love my new botany mount

it's good

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

MSQ: I can't believe Raubahn got loving dumped.

Pipin sliding on in there all smooth life

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

FFT music, FF12 art design, last boss is a fun FFT reference

e: The story is much more closely related to FFT

I haven't been able to do the new raid yet, but how does Ivalice work into the world of FFXIV? I'm curious whether they went with "a place with a ton of similarities to FFT/12 Ivalice" or "literally the same place, this is the same world."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

I haven't been able to do the new raid yet, but how does Ivalice work into the world of FFXIV? I'm curious whether they went with "a place with a ton of similarities to FFT/12 Ivalice" or "literally the same place, this is the same world."

A lot closer to the latter though thinking about the timeline if everything is to be taken at face value makes my head hurt

Like, Ba'Gamnan and Argath both show up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

Seems like its still kinda ambiguous, but probably the same world just far in the future. The Zodiac Brave Story from FFT is a popular legend that someone is trying to prove is a historical fact, and they attempt to find the ruins of old Ivalice under the more recent ruins of Rabanastre in the imperial territory of Dalmasca :shrug:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Harrow posted:

(Actual rear end spoilers)

It is currently leaning heavily on "the same world" - one of the main quest NPCs appears to be none other than the "narrator" of FFT, Arzalam. And unlike a lot of the other "FF reference" stuff, a very big deal is being made out of proving that Ivalice was "real", and it is pointed out that the "church" suppressed the truth of the Zodiac Brave Story.

This actually lines up somewhat with descriptions of both the Second Astral Era and Fourth Astral Era in the lorebook, so the idea seems be that Final Fantasy Tactics is indeed set in one of those two eras of Hydaelyn, and the raid plot revolves both around proving the Durai Papers, literally named as such, are true, and making sure that the Zodiac Auracites - which are explicitly the same kind of auracites we've been using since 2.4 - don't fall into the wrong hands, which Ba'gamnan's group of bangaa seem determined to have happen.

Moreover, it's made relatively clear that the Rabanastre we visit is indeed the Rabanastre of FFXII - and it appears, from the descriptions, that FFXII must've been part of the Fifth Astral Era or such. Rabanastre is built on top of Lesalia from FFT. This is less clear, though, as the major focus of the Ivalice 24-mans is on the FFT plot; it seems more like the raid is a teaser for getting to visit Rabanastre in a more robust capacity later in the game's life (the sharp-eyed can even spot an aetheryte in the wide view of the city).

Arist posted:

Like, Ba'Gamnan and Argath both show up[/spoiler]

Ba'Gamnan is kind of a question mark because, what, unless it's an identical grandson or some nonsense, but even human-form Argath appears to be some kind of projection coming from his auracite. He's not too hard to figure out - the Rabanastre raid is basically a gauntlet of what modern Eorzeans would term "primals", or beings very similar.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 11, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MSQ Spoilers: Fordola: "The things they've done to you. The lies, the betrayal, the endless fighting...yet there you stand, unbroken. How...? Why...?"

bitch obviously didn't see the DRK questline if she thinks I went unbroken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

(Actual rear end spoilers)

What I don't get is that I thought FF12 was supposed to be long before FFT, and that a cataclysm happened between them that wiped out all the moogles, viera, and other non-human people.

Also this is a thing: https://i.imgur.com/3ZyL0PK.png

(and an A+ NPC name)