Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

do we know all those 'secret projects' are separate entities? As a complete idiot, could it be that there are two game directors assisting each other when going into unknown territory?

Also the joke's going to be that one of em is Europa Universalis: Rome 2 .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

There are two secret projects: one of them is Victoria's Secret and the other is a romance-intrigue game where you play Napoleon trying to catch Josephine cheating on you.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The "secret projects" are all cover for a Svea Rike remake.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Alikchi posted:

.. and the other is a romance-intrigue game where you play Napoleon trying to catch Josephine cheating on you.

Not gonna lie, would play the poo poo out of a Napoleonic cuckoldry simulator.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I would still be down for a Paradox RPG, especially if it had that CK2-style emergent gameplay. :shobon:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrSunshine posted:

I would still be down for a Paradox RPG, especially if it had that CK2-style emergent gameplay. :shobon:

They were working on one for a quite a while.. Runemaster. But apparently it 'wasn't fun', and they canned it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

They were working on one for a quite a while.. Runemaster. But apparently it 'wasn't fun', and they canned it.

Yet stellaris tile management and ground army system shipped???

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I'm guessing ck3 will probably have a lot more rpg elements in it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Yet stellaris tile management and ground army system shipped???

they didn't seem to know stellaris was bad until wiz was put onto it, which was shortly before the much-hyped release

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jazerus posted:

they didn't seem to know stellaris was bad until wiz was put onto it, which was shortly before the much-hyped release

I think Wiz didn't take over as game director until after the game actually released, even.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

cool new Metroid game posted:

I'm guessing ck3 will probably have a lot more rpg elements in it

My goofy wishlist for CK3 includes 3d models for characters instead of layered 2d portraits. Then, instead of an abstract event pic you'll see your king sitting on his throne in the little window or getting murdered or whatever.

Not going to happen and more trouble then it's worth, but it'd be cool.

EDIT: I also want a 3d globe like 1992 XCOM for EU, Vicky, & HoI while I'm wishing for thing that ain't going to happen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Johan posted this.

So... time to take your guesses.

Chris ‘King’ King - Secret Project
I'll put my money on Victoria III

Henrik ‘Doomdark’ Fĺhraeus - Crusader Kings 2 & Secret Project
I'm guessing prelim work on CK3, because I believe CK2 is still(?) their best selling (overall) title.

Jon ‘Jon Shafer’ Shafer - Secret Project
I dunno. But after the release state of Civ 5 and taking everyone's kickstarter money to vanish for 18 months at time only to post a single time before vanishing for another year, I'm not feeling optimistic about this. I've wanted a Paradox Dark Ages game for long time, but if he bailed on his Dark Ages kickstarter to make a Dark Ages Paradox game... I'll be legit pissed. Unless it's free to At the Gates backers or something... :lol:

Doomdark is obviously working on EU: Rome 2.

e: Wasn't King the Thatcherite, or am I confusing him with someone else?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jeoh posted:

I'm on board for that. Very on board.

Honestly it might be best to let the finished CK2 rest for a couple years before digging into a sequel.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah CKII is in a real good place right now, going right for the sequel seems hasty

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

e: Wasn't King the Thatcherite, or am I confusing him with someone else?

My thoughts too. I'd love to see Rome done right, and Paradox seem smart enough to know what was wrong with Rome 2.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah CKII is in a real good place right now, going right for the sequel seems hasty

On the other hand, a sequel to their best seller will look great on Paradox's quarterly report to shareholders.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

My goofy wishlist for CK3 includes 3d models for characters instead of layered 2d portraits. Then, instead of an abstract event pic you'll see your king sitting on his throne in the little window or getting murdered or whatever.

Not going to happen and more trouble then it's worth, but it'd be cool.

EDIT: I also want a 3d globe like 1992 XCOM for EU, Vicky, & HoI while I'm wishing for thing that ain't going to happen.

Yeah full 3D models would definitely allow them to do stuff that isn't possible in ck2, like using a Sims-style genetic system for appearance so you could actually see physical traits being passed along family lines, rather than facial features just being picked from pre-rendered stuff.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
You can already see physical features being inherited in CK2, the dreaded double chin for example which will stick with your family for generations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah full 3D models would definitely allow them to do stuff that isn't possible in ck2, like using a Sims-style genetic system for appearance so you could actually see physical traits being passed along family lines, rather than facial features just being picked from pre-rendered stuff.

Yeah, more natural aging and expressing personality through facial expression would be cool too.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

this but instead of 3d models its ultra responsive versions of the stylized portraits from the first CK game

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kainser posted:

You can already see physical features being inherited in CK2, the dreaded double chin for example which will stick with your family for generations.

Yeah but it's kind of awkward, especially with parents from different portrait sets.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Fintilgin posted:

yeah a 3d globe would be cool and also they won't be able to gently caress up the projections so much

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, that one! I just blanked on the name. A shame, looking at the concept art and early alpha footage, it looked like a solid concept.

My dream Paradox RPG would be one with a big skill / passive tree like Path of Exile, except it has sort of "meaty-feeling" progressions that unlock progressively cooler effects like in EU4, HOI4 and Stellaris. And random events like in CK2.

Basically, do a Diablo 2 clone, but infuse it with all that rich emergent gameplay storytelling from CK2 onwards.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 11, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

I'm on board for that. Very on board.

Honestly it might be best to let the finished CK2 rest for a couple years before digging into a sequel.

I mean, if they were just starting development now, I'm sure CK3 would take at least a year or two to develop. Especially considering how massive the thing they're following up is currently.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, that one! I just blanked on the name. A shame, looking at the concept art and early alpha footage, it looked like a solid concept.

My dream Paradox RPG would be one with a big skill / passive tree like Path of Exile, except it has sort of "meaty-feeling" progressions that unlock progressively cooler effects like in EU4, HOI4 and Stellaris. And random events like in CK2.

Basically, do a Diablo 2 clone, but infuse it with all that rich emergent gameplay storytelling from CK2 onwards.

I'd picture a Paradox rpg as something like Darklands. Which was set in a sort of dark fantasy historical Germany, where the map movement and menu driven cities played like Sid Meier's Pirates, and real time combat was something like ultra-primitive Baldur's Gate. Brand it Crusader Kings - Mythic or something.

AnoHito posted:

I mean, if they were just starting development now, I'm sure CK3 would take at least a year or two to develop. Especially considering how massive the thing they're following up is currently.

Yeah, probably more like 2-3, I'd think. So it might make sense to aim it for 2020 rather then take a break and have it out in 2024 or something.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Make Vicky3 with a 3D rendering of every single person in the world and their wallets

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Fintilgin posted:

I'd picture a Paradox rpg as something like Darklands. Which was set in a sort of dark fantasy historical Germany, where the map movement and menu driven cities played like Sid Meier's Pirates, and real time combat was something like ultra-primitive Baldur's Gate. Brand it Crusader Kings - Mythic or something.

You played Battle Brothers? Not real time combat, but the rest is spot on.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You played Battle Brothers? Not real time combat, but the rest is spot on.

Started it. Need to dedicate some more time to it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've love a dynastic RPG cross between Battle Brothers and Crusader Kings, where after a major crisis event, your heroes settle down, have kids and the next generation takes over when The Ultimate EEEVIIIIL™ rises once more. Like the Agarest series, except good.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

I've love a dynastic RPG cross between Battle Brothers and Crusader Kings, where after a major crisis event, your heroes settle down, have kids and the next generation takes over when The Ultimate EEEVIIIIL™ rises once more. Like the Agarest series, except good.

Massive Chalice? Although in that game it's more like the ultimate evil crisis is ongoing and it's just that you have to fight it for several generations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Funky Valentine posted:

The "secret projects" are all cover for a Svea Rike remake.

This

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Please don't get my hopes up by joking about Victoria III.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

I think it's a new game, something about tank battles on the eastern front. The gimmick will be that you can win it easiest by only using infantry.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

I think it's a new game, something about tank battles on the eastern front. The gimmick will be that you can win it easiest by only using infantry.

Oh the game where if you try and use tanks in a swamp they all just break down right? Hmm have we announced what its going to be called yet?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Groogy posted:

Oh the game where if you try and use tanks in a swamp they all just break down right? Hmm have we announced what its going to be called yet?

tanks for nothing?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tanks 1: nothing

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

Is that actually taken into account in HoI4 ? I only avoid mountains and jungles with my tanks, didn't ever think about how unreliable tanks were in the desert or in swampy, frosty, Russian winter.

Then again, my current gimmick is a single light TD and two motorized arties with every 20width infantry division. Mostly not bothering anymore with separate armor armies.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

double nine posted:

tanks for nothing?

:drat:

Tahirovic posted:

Is that actually taken into account in HoI4 ? I only avoid mountains and jungles with my tanks, didn't ever think about how unreliable tanks were in the desert or in swampy, frosty, Russian winter.

Then again, my current gimmick is a single light TD and two motorized arties with every 20width infantry division. Mostly not bothering anymore with separate armor armies.

http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Terrain#Unit-specific_modifiers

Heavies aside, tanks seem to do pretty well in marshes. (There's a massive attrition penalty for everything in a Marsh, and that's going to hurt more with IC-intensive troops than otherwise, but.)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah the av on me is in relation to a game where Da9L avoided using Tanks in the huge swamp that is in eastern Poland when fighting the USSR because they would have melted away and his industry would have died. Also this was before HOI4 release and I was just explaining how it worked "in the current state of balance" since I was helping out with AI on HOI back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing how HOI4 and Stellaris ended up I'm not sure if I want vikky 3. It won't live up to vikky 2.