Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

You beat me to it, but yeah, Porsche will cater to any and all tastes if you pay them enough. Money can't buy you taste and all that.

You can get some truly hideous combinations now that you can order split tone interiors and there's no ... for lack of a better way of saying it, interlocks to avoid clashing interior/exterior combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What the gently caress is that poo poo?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
[quote="“Jymmybob”" post="“477255346”"]
There’s a ton once you get to the premium brands. Porsche’s tend to be low hanging fruit since any of them can be special ordered to fit even the worst taste.

took a while to find but this 996 is the ultimate in factory original color choices (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/972355-any-nephrite-greens-out-there.html)

[/quote]

The carpet covers are the icing on the poo poo came there.

I would still take the 944 interior over a 996. But that's about as far as it goes.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
That one is a really nice tangerine PTS with the nephrite green leather and tangerine highlights. It was probably a UM player's custom car since it's from that area and was for sale about a year ago when a rennlist guy who collects weird PTS cars bought it. It's all factory and in great condition, the dash cover is only for outdoor storage since it has an unobtanium leather dash in Florida.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jymmybob posted:

There's a ton once you get to the premium brands. Porsche's tend to be low hanging fruit since any of them can be special ordered to fit even the worst taste.

Yeah, I wouldn't really include the more custom options since you can go insane with those. I'm talking about the kind of stuff you'd see in the book at the dealer.

Porsche's and M3's get some amazing combos due to their customization options though. I came across an e46 m3 when I was looking at those that was some boring but completely unique exterior color with a greenish interior. It was terrible but I totally would have bought something like it. It might have been an SMG or something that kept me away, I can't remember.

e: found it :allears:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 11, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlackMK4 posted:

Hey, M. Bison, did you buy a P-car?
:bisonyes:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

Check out how nice my 996 C2 interior looks :v:

Not really a troll but still perfect 10/10

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jymmybob posted:

To be fair using a pre-airbag wheel and blue interior is cheating :colbert:

I think the nicest 944/968 interiors are better than the base 996 interiors but when you compare the best of each style, the 996 stands out. I originally hated the interior but after getting used it I've come to appreciate the layout and comfort.

I think that interior still looks better than 90% of automobile interiors. It's why I specifically looked for a post-85.5 car.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hi thread-- so I'm wing-manning for a friend (because he's a terrible negotiator) to go look at a Panamera. I don't know crap about that car, though, besides that it's a 4-door and looks oddly stretched. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some resources so I don't sound like a total moron at the dealership? I've negotiated a decent handful of cars, but certainly never a Porsche.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

I think that interior still looks better than 90% of automobile interiors. It's why I specifically looked for a post-85.5 car.

Agreed. :hfive:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

slidebite posted:

I just found the first images in a Google search that weren't tiny, but yeah blue is pretty horrid. Either way even an early poverty spec 996 has an interior miles better than a 1991 944, I don't even think it's close.

Agreed. Even though I prefer the general look and style of the 944 interior, simple and clean lines vs. the 996's rounded everything, sitting in a 996 vs. sitting in a 944 is night and day. It's just so much more comfortable, so much. One of my fondest car memories of my 996 is sitting in slow traffic in the rain with the radio off. It was so perfectly cozy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

cailleask posted:

Hi thread-- so I'm wing-manning for a friend (because he's a terrible negotiator) to go look at a Panamera. I don't know crap about that car, though, besides that it's a 4-door and looks oddly stretched. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some resources so I don't sound like a total moron at the dealership? I've negotiated a decent handful of cars, but certainly never a Porsche.

It really is no different, test drive the car and take it to carmax for an instant quote. That is the wholesale value. Know selling prices and what you want to pay before you go. (Your friend is going to buy the car even if they don't cave to your price so don't sweat it.)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Got an offer from Soul Performance for their 987.1 cat back exhaust at a 20% discount, would just have to send them exhaust clips for their website and a review. I'm pretty tempted to take them up on their offer, the quality looks nice and the videos they do have up sound good (well, as good as a tiny phone speaker can reproduce) but I can't find a clip of their exhaust with the factory headers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA95tlrKn-k

I've never heard of them before, and it looks like they're fairly new to the Porsche aftermarket hence giving the discounts to get their brand more known. Their offer stands for others as well.

Just thinking out loud, looks to be a good value and while I like oem a little more noise would be welcome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That harmonic during the acceleration at 15s reminds me of the Rarefab on my 348. Sounds awesome if you don't have to be at heavy load to get the sound. I'm voting yes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone here deal with Renn Part? Going to drop some $$ on rotors/pads/sensors for the 911. Price seems good and they're on ball with communication, just want to make sure before I give them the $$$.

$500 US shipped to Montana for Textar pads, rotors, 2 sensors, bolts, bleeder caps motul fluid, wheel mount tool and I think a couple other doo-dads I'm forgetting.

Bajaha posted:

Got an offer from Soul Performance for their 987.1 cat back exhaust at a 20% discount, would just have to send them exhaust clips for their website and a review. I'm pretty tempted to take them up on their offer, the quality looks nice and the videos they do have up sound good (well, as good as a tiny phone speaker can reproduce) but I can't find a clip of their exhaust with the factory headers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA95tlrKn-k

I've never heard of them before, and it looks like they're fairly new to the Porsche aftermarket hence giving the discounts to get their brand more known. Their offer stands for others as well.

Just thinking out loud, looks to be a good value and while I like oem a little more noise would be welcome.
Only if you plan on keeping it. You'll never get any $$ out of that if you try to flip it. Sounds decent enough though, if you've got the scratch and don't mind blowing it, go for it. Sometimes exhaust comes up on Rennlist classifieds. Might be able to find something a little used for some serious savings, but you can never count on it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 12, 2017

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Anyone here deal with Renn Part? Going to drop some $$ on rotors/pads/sensors for the 911. Price seems good and they're on ball with communication, just want to make sure before I give them the $$$.

$500 US shipped to Montana for Textar pads, rotors, 2 sensors, bolts, bleeder caps motul fluid, wheel mount tool and I think a couple other doo-dads I'm forgetting.

Only if you plan on keeping it. You'll never get any $$ out of that if you try to flip it. Sounds decent enough though, if you've got the scratch and don't mind blowing it, go for it. Sometimes exhaust comes up on Rennlist classifieds. Might be able to find something a little used for some serious savings, but you can never count on it.

Can't speak for Renn Part, but check out FCPEuro. I've been using them for the last little bit and they've had good pricing over email and good service.

And yeah, aftermarket modifications never increases the resale (no matter how much some people wish or think they do). I've seen a few exhausts FS on Rennlist but prices aren't very consistent, and of course Porsche had to route them ever so slightly differently between 987.1 and 987.2 models so that trims down the possibilities too as they're not compatible across models. I figure with Soul exhaust I have a chance of reselling it for around half of the discounted price that I would pay when I go to sell the car. Probably will be lazy and just leave it mounted on the car as removing parts to sell is always a hassle, and I can't image shipping an exhaust system will be very simple.

New exhaust or not, I regret selling my last one so quickly so this one I plan on driving it at least one or two full season before listing it at $wishful and seeing how it goes. Hoping to get 2-3 years with it before I get serious about selling it.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Can't speak for the supplier but I will say that's a good price, having just bought OEM brake parts for my 987's first front job at 70k

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Took this today outside the DR office. 911 Targa 4S with PDK and PCCB. I love the color (Miami Blue)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Would still happily take the car, but the aluminum finish on the B-pillar structure just does not work with that color at all.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Would still happily take the car, but the aluminum finish on the B-pillar structure just does not work with that color at all.

I'm trying to think what would work there, because I'm thinking body colour might not work either.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Pillar should be body color, top should be black. Problem solved.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dislike button posted:

Took this today outside the DR office. 911 Targa 4S with PDK and PCCB. I love the color (Miami Blue)

Why would they make the top a different blue? It looks so strange with the silver and other, good, blue.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The navy/silver/Miami combo is a little awkward

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bajaha posted:

I'm trying to think what would work there, because I'm thinking body colour might not work either.

I bet the hoop could be styled differently to look better painted body color.
I dunno why they need to stick so hard to the air-cooled Targa look.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
it looks fine, you going to roll it over and smash it anyway.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

BlackMK4 posted:

That is a glorious interior! I wouldn't have bought it new, but I would happily buy that and enjoy the heck out of it!

I'm about to start a new job where I'll no longer need a straight up DD... It's got me 911 shopping and I'm specifically hoping to find something with an odd interior like green or blue, but if I could get something really hosed up that would be tremendous! (that's-my-fetish.gif).

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Plus side is most thieves will avoid it because of the blinding interior

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

Plus side is most thieves will avoid it because of the blinding interior

Also they can’t drive it because it’s manual

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Took off the fake 911 badge on the back of the 996, but it'd been there for a while, so I have this ghost dust/scratch print:
https://i.imgur.com/erW2c3L.jpg

Debating what to do about it. I think my big beef with it was just that the letters were put on too vertical for the shape of the script.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Can't really see it on the pictures (apart from some scratches), but a wash + clay + compound and polish and it should disappear.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah I was gonna say, I know usually sun-fresh paint from years-after debadging doesn't buff out, but in this case it almost looks like it might.

And it's just from that picture, but I would have had no idea what to look for if you hadn't specifically told me; some detailing might make it even more imperceptible

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, just try claying it.

Also, I'm not so sure that's an aftermarket 911. That font looks close to the factory emblem which came on the 40th and available to anyone right from Porsche with their blessing as long as you have the $$.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I tried my best to eyeball the lettering against a real 40th anniversary 911 badge:

and my letters were markedly thinner. They do look pretty close to a more recent badge:

but the PO didn't slant the digits over enough to match the degree of... italicization.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The large space between the numbers made it look like extra autozone drunken purchase.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Time to just give up and rattlecan the whole thing. Live the rally dream.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:catstare: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-911t-13/

I decided to put a decal back up, cuz I go and look at the residue silhouette every time I'm near the car.
This time I'll get the kerning / italicization correct.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I found that the passenger side spat in front of the rear wheel is loose. One of the two holes on the bottom is missing its rivet/clip:
https://imgur.com/a/9fhsP

I can't find a procedure for replacing this in any FSM I could find for the 996.
I don't think I need a new spat; I just want to find out the clips that attach it.

Anyone know?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

kimbo305 posted:

I found that the passenger side spat in front of the rear wheel is loose. One of the two holes on the bottom is missing its rivet/clip:
https://imgur.com/a/9fhsP

I can't find a procedure for replacing this in any FSM I could find for the 996.
I don't think I need a new spat; I just want to find out the clips that attach it.

Anyone know?

Found this:

999 507 497 40 Expansion rivet 13
8,0 X 14,0

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachm...g-front-end.pdf

Porsche website has downloadable parts catalogues:

https://www.porsche.com/canada/en/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuineparts/originalpartscatalogue/

Edit: Can't confirm 100% but looks like the underbody is held with those rivets plus plastic nuts, tapping screws and collar nuts.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 13, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Found this:

999 507 497 40 Expansion rivet 13
8,0 X 14,0

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachm...g-front-end.pdf

Porsche website has downloadable parts catalogues

K, I found it: KAT521_USA_996_05_KATALOG.pdf
Illustration 801-70. Looks like the spat is part 7, called simple a cover.
And I need fasteners 6 and 9-13.

On Pelican, it's called the equally vague Floor Trim:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9965043940101C.htm?pn=996-504-394-01-01C-OEM&SVSVSI=905

Any recs for parts stores online? YourPorscheParts was cheapest and then I got hit with $125 for an oversized part, which the spat most assuredly is not. Maybe their shipping cost is just broken -- tried to buy only the small bits and it's still 125.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Update on the cupholder project. Printed the model in 2 pieces and glued them together:

There's a bigger base plate piece glued to the cupholder piece. When only the cupholder half was wedged in there, it kept rotating out. I could probably rough up the wedging surface with sandpaper.
I found a vendor who can print this in black ABS; though tentatively, the PLA prototype seems strong enough over bumps.