Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Man, getting daily updates on the Brawl dojo site was the best. I was so excited about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TenWren posted:

Man, getting daily updates on the Brawl dojo site was the best. I was so excited about that one.

Even the more mundane updates were fun just because of Sakurai's commentary. I really hope that returns for the next game even if it's just Smash 4 Deluxe.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They did the same sort of thing on Miiverse, just no one paid attention cuz it was Miiverse.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

TenWren posted:

JAPAN TIME

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's Wario's bike. Don't go too fast!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TFRazorsaw posted:

They did the same sort of thing on Miiverse, just no one paid attention cuz it was Miiverse.

What the gently caress

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic being in Brawl was amazing. It's a shame he wasn't any fun to play as.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i remember waking up at 4am or something like that, couldn't sleep, checked the brawl website just to see what that day's update was. and i thought i must still be asleep for a few minutes, clearly this was a dream like that master chief smash trailer i had seen in a dream the week before. that was probably the most hype reveal in video game history, though the megaman one for smash 4 was cooler

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I had to go to school on the day the update happened but I always made it a habit to check the most recent update before the bus came by just to see what it had to say, and the instant I saw Sonic and watched his trailer I had to stop myself from screaming and waking my parents up. It was loving cool as hell

I didn't get to scream about a Smash reveal until Smash 4, when Mega Man was revealed

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sonic being in Brawl was amazing. It's a shame he wasn't any fun to play as.
He was apparently a last-minute inclusion, to the point where it was part of the reason the game was delayed until 2008.

It sucks because his moveset is pretty dull, and it's unlikely to change since that would require going over it with Sega and eat up dev time.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pants Donkey posted:

It sucks because his moveset is pretty dull, and it's unlikely to change since that would require going over it with Sega and eat up dev time.

If Sakurai was going to change it, they would've changed it in Smash 4 where they already changed around a lot of characters and movesets. They are probably fine with Sonic as he is, and unlikely to change it because as is he works fine.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

They changed how his side+b worked if that counts for anything.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Aye but an official Mario v Sonic fight, you dreamed of that poo poo as a kid.

They need to make an official VGW expansion for the WWE games. They'd be making GBS threads :10bux:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

They changed how his side+b worked if that counts for anything.

They only changed it in a minor way (letting you jump while charging). The move is, for all intents and purposes, the same as it was in brawl and is used basically how it was there. It's nothing in comparison to Bowser's changes to his normals, or the new special moves Zelda/Sheik/ZSS/etc all got.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
14 yo me legitimately teared up a bit at Sonic being in Brawl

It was real cool

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

They gave him a new down smash. Which I think we can all agree was the biggest move set change he needed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That fact that people can differentiate between these changes is sorcery to me. Movesets in fighting games, even Smash, are just a bunch of flailing limbs that make damage happen, and that's all they are as far as I can tell. I mostly pick speed or power characters, because it's obvious when a character feels more reactive or knocks other characters back more and you can get by to some extent by just dodging around then mashing an attack button, or simply smashing through people. I got completely lost partway through Skullgirls' tutorials, and they were as clear as could possibly be.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
A lot of changes in fighting games are actually very simple. Most of them are "Attack X is faster" or "Attack Y reaches farther" or "Attack Z does more damage". Small enough that they aren't hard to parse if you care, and typically not big enough to matter if you don't. But everyone should be able to tell that Zero Suit Samus has a completely different UpB move in Smash 4 versus Brawl; one is rocket heels moving around, and the other is a laser whip shooting up.

As for understanding fighting mechanics, they aren't specific to the genre since a lot of them apply to Action games, they are just more transparent in FGs. A lot of people understand the concept of "When they do this big attack, dodge/block it and they're wide open!". FGs just take that concept and apply it on a micro scale to a whole game.

Not everyone understands the minutiae of FGs in the same way casual players may not care about the physics differences between Sonic Mania and Classic sonic in Generations/Forces. If pointed out, there are some easy and clear examples to illustrate both, but a lot of people don't dig very deep and can get by just fine with knowing very little as long as it's generally flashy and fun enough.

VVVVV TBF that is also a very fun way to experience fighting games from my experience

Ventana fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 11, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That fact that people can differentiate between these changes is sorcery to me. Movesets in fighting games, even Smash, are just a bunch of flailing limbs that make damage happen, and that's all they are as far as I can tell. I mostly pick speed or power characters, because it's obvious when a character feels more reactive or knocks other characters back more and you can get by to some extent by just dodging around then mashing an attack button, or simply smashing through people. I got completely lost partway through Skullgirls' tutorials, and they were as clear as could possibly be.

Are you playing these games on the verge of being black out drunk?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zelder posted:

I always give my opponent a two drink handicap.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Zelder posted:

I don't claim to be able to enter that kind of headspace but idk some people just don't think about it a whole lot and they understand it on extremely abstract terms. It's not that unusual.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Is it a known phenomenon that good Mario players hate Sonic and vice versa simply because they're used to the physics on their chosen game?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I played both as a kid and also like Mega Man, which is even more the opposite of Sonic in terms of momentum physics, so

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

azurite posted:

Is it a known phenomenon that good Mario players hate Sonic and vice versa simply because they're used to the physics on their chosen game?

I never really saw this until Sonic Mania came out. Even as a Sega kid, I loved Mario and understood one isn't going to play like the other.

I never even understood the "floaty" complaints either. If Sonic gets launched off something, the physics usually feel appropriate to what he's launched off of.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Motto posted:

I played both as a kid and also like Mega Man, which is even more the opposite of Sonic in terms of momentum physics, so

I'm talking more about people who have stuck to playing one or the other. Then the Mario peeps jumped into Mania and have physics-related complaints.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I never even understood the "floaty" complaints either. If Sonic gets launched off something, the physics usually feel appropriate to what he's launched off of.

This makes sense, since I think Mario is more directly tied to your inputs than the environment or built-up momentum.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

azurite posted:

I dunno I like both but I'm a weirdo

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Augus posted:

I dunno I like both but I'm a weirdo

I like both, but I can't say I'm very good at Mario.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I like both Sonic and Mario games and I think anyone who goes into a game expecting it to control exactly like <a different game entirely> is a weirdo.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Xad posted:

I like both Sonic and Mario games and I think anyone who goes into a game expecting it to control exactly like <a different game entirely> is a weirdo.

I was sorely disappointed that Sonic Mania didn't play exactly like Crusader Kings II.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Two Beans posted:

I was sorely disappointed that Sonic Mania didn't play exactly like Crusader Kings II.

They're saving dynasty management for Forces, so your OC can get involved.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like both but I’m definitely better at Mario. I beat Mania on my first go without game overing though so I’m improving at Sonic.:)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I don't claim to be able to enter that kind of headspace but idk some people just don't think about it a whole lot and they understand it on extremely abstract terms. It's not that unusual.

Bingo. I enjoy games the most when I can focus on singular mechanics and get completely in tune with it; Sonic is great for that, as is my favourite racing game Outrun 2. As another example, I thoroughly enjoyed FFXIII when it came out as the battle system finally felt right and natural to me in a way that previous games didn't, and it's because the battles were fought entirely on their ebb and flow where you could literally focus on the physical size and quantity of damage numbers or status change icons rather than what they were actually saying.

As you might imagine, I am pretty bad at thinking more than one move ahead, and since I can't keep up with games that rely on it, like strategy games, I find them incredibly tedious because they don't fire up my brain like other types of games do.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 11, 2017

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Two Beans posted:

Seriously though I tried to play SpeedRunners with a friend of mine and he was upset that it didn't control exactly like Super Meat Boy :eng99:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

azurite posted:

Idk about the qualiification of "good", but I've definitely seen Mario players who've never played a sonic game decry the different physics. Some people even on something awful too I think.

Never seen vice versa, but I do prefer Sonic physics myself. Though I'm weird because I grew up playing Mario and only came to Sonic later on.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Two Beans posted:

Someone post the Knuckles Family Tree. And maybe the House of Acorn one if you can find it.

Speaking of terrible comic things, I'm about to read the Sonic & Knuckles special on my quest to read the entirety of the Sonic comics. This is relevant because it features the first story drawn by Penders. It's a Knuckles solo story. I'm doomed.

(The comics have actually been pretty good so far though.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way Sonic comes in at the end of Subspace Emissary and saves the day after an entire game of wondering when the heck he's gonna show up was pretty drat good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The sonic reveal was cool for me because it came out of left field with literally no build up or anything. Smash 4 couldn't hope to compare as every character announcement had the dates for reveals down and they all had big fancy trailers. No just wake up and surprise motherfucker here's a crossover character.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I mean...Mega Man was a surprise reveal just like Sonic. Yeah, he got a big trailer, but it wasn't like we knew he was gonna be in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I expected Sonic and Mega Man since they both just made too much sense, more so than Snake. I was still hype as gently caress though over those trailers. I didn’t like to actually play as Sonic in Brawl but he feels more fun to me in 4.