Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/i/moments/917849599213158400

Terry Crews talking about a Hollywood exec straight-up grabbing his dick last year. jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched the special the other night and Nathan bringing back the teenage kid who was promised a 40 as soon as he came of age but then denying the kid his 40 after he didn't bring his claim ticket he was given in the episode years ago had me in tears.

Yeah but on the other hand... imagine drinking a 6 year old 40 :barf:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel drops on November 29th. Get hype.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm finally watching the season premiere of Halt and Catch Fire and God drat it is basically a movie, and a gorgeous one

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/917849599213158400

Terry Crews talking about a Hollywood exec straight-up grabbing his dick last year. jesus

No pun intended, but grabbing Crews like that is insanely ballsy. The guy could crush you just looking in your direction.

DivisionPost posted:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel drops on November 29th. Get hype.

Am hype, the pilot ruled and it'll be super fun to have an ASP show with an adult audience in mind.

Still bitter about Bunheads ending, but at least she bounced back a little faster this time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

No pun intended, but grabbing Crews like that is insanely ballsy. The guy could crush you just looking in your direction.

I think that's part of the point kf why it's important for everyone to speak out. A lot of people have a mental image of what a victim of sexual harrasment, sexual abuse, or sexual assault looks like. Anyone can be a victim.

And in a place like hollywood, power is about being able to crush someone's career, not their body. Being a star means nothing if someone higher up the food chain wants you blackballed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

precision posted:

I'm finally watching the season premiere of Halt and Catch Fire and God drat it is basically a movie, and a gorgeous one

When you see the episode with a quick 1970s flashback enjoy that poo poo. It's beautiful/powerful.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah he said that he could've easily destroyed the guy but then the story next day is "Terry Crews pummels doughy middle-aged Hollywood exec"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

I keep trying to watch that show, but the fact the title sounds like a self-help book. And I know what it means in a programming context, it's just an awful title for a show.

pentyne posted:

Yeah he said that he could've easily destroyed the guy but then the story next day is "Terry Crews pummels doughy middle-aged Hollywood exec"

He also mentions that he wouldn't have been able to read that headline on account of being in jail.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it speaks to how power is the real thing in these cases and not physical strength. It doesn't matter of Crews could defend himself physically from his abuser. The abuser had power in multiple ways over him which immediately pressured Crews to just suck it up, not make a stink, and move on. It not only goes to the idea of "men can't be raped" or "she didn't run" type stuff but all the "then she kept working for him" stuff too.

Of course tomorrow I fully expect to hear certain types saying that Crews made it all up because a big scary black man can't be a victim.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I already liked Terry Crews a lot but it's good of him to speak out.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It makes me sad there's no Tosh.0 thread, now that they're showing new episodes again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

It makes me sad there's no Tosh.0 thread, now that they're showing new episodes again.
What's sad is that show still exists.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

It's a really loving good season so far and while I'll be sad when it's gone I'm glad it seems to be going out on top.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hahaha Cameron's game

"All we're asking you to do is put the game's controls in the instruction manual."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else finish watching Episodes? I thought it was very solid throughout and had a great last season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Am I right in thinking Mr Robot S3 starts tonight?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nope you're DEAD WRONG (yes!)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh Christ, the newest episode of gently caress Scientology that deals with child abuse in the church is really hard to watch :smithicide:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh Christ, the newest episode of gently caress Scientology that deals with child abuse in the church is really hard to watch :smithicide:

Hahahah it cheers me up no end to have everyone call it that.

Yes, very sad. I'm watching it now. Can't wait for Leah's fatality move. it's coming i can feel it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OH GOD, THEY CLOSED DOWN THE RANCH THAT'S THE SUBJECT OF THIS EPISODE BUT THEY'RE STILL DOING THIS TO CHILDREN TODAY

gently caress EVERYTHING :cry:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Elizabeth Moss ever thought about her involvement in Scientology when she was making The Handmaid's Tale.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if Elizabeth Moss ever thought about her involvement in Scientology when she was making The Handmaid's Tale.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/elisabeth-moss-defends-scientology-to-instagram-commenter.html

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

And that's exactly why it's as insidious as it is. He's absolutely right that he'd A) be in jail, and B) never get work again if he tore that guy's rear end out through his face, which the man is obviously easily capable of doing. Now imagine if instead of a towering 240 pound former NFL player it's like your average lady. That's how hosed up the power dynamics are.

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't seen Nathan For You but the concept seems really mean-spirited and it always sounds like he's taking advantage of small business owners for the sake of comedy. Is it actually like that?

They're in on it. It's why I can't enjoy the show as much as some others seem to I guess. I know they're in on it. They have to be.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

They're in on it. It's why I can't enjoy the show as much as some others seem to I guess.

Just watch it as any other scripted fictional sitcom (instead of as reality TV). That's how I watch it and it's hilarious to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After Dumb Starbucks everyone has to be aware of him.

The show isn't mean but it does make me cringe really hard and I find it difficult getting through some segments. All the lookalikes are so awkward.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do you think Catholic actors are similarly culpable

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

I've professed my love of Moss on here and even to my dear wife, but it is disgusting that she is member of a cult. That said I feel like most religions are disgusting. So I will answer your question with a big fat yes. If someone is an acting Catholic or Baptist (which is mostly what I deal with in the South) it is disgusting. They are culpable for supporting the vile hate and division of their religion. It is one of the many reasons we hate people like Kirk Cameron.

You actually made me feel even more disgusted by love of Moss. Call me Elizabeth please. I will rescue you from that cult.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fair enough.

Spielberg's bringing back Amazing Stories. The one with the B-17 belly gunner trapped under the plane has stuck with me my entire life.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Fair enough.

Spielberg's bringing back Amazing Stories. The one with the B-17 belly gunner trapped under the plane has stuck with me my entire life.

I really just want a full length live action version of that one sequence from Heavy Metal TBH

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Fair enough.

I wonder what Apple's plan is. A new streaming service? For AppleTV users? Apple Music subscription bonus? For sale on just iTunes?

That said I was like 15 when the original aired, and I also have never forgotten the episode about the belly gunner.

Edit: I just realized Bryan Fuller is attached. Hell yes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

For years, I thought the second season of Frisky Dingo was bad and wrote it off because the first handful of episodes were pretty dry and I'd somehow seen them all several times, but you get through 5-6 episodes and it's good stuff again. They're running a marathon from about that point on on [as]'s animation marathon right now.

But god drat, Adam Reed and the running gags, man. Now I know why Archer has so many.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was in until I saw it was being developed with Apple. I wouldn't have any way other than PC to watch it and I'm not going to do that when I have a 65" OLED and kick-rear end surround system in my living room.

If they distribute it to other providers, great, if not, I'll have to pass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apple TV dog. We use that as our platform since we don't have a cable box.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Culpable for what? If it was, for example, Nicole Kidman - who I know is a devout Roman Catholic - then I think I would feel the same way.

On the one hand, if she was just an actor who happened to be a Scientologist doing a job then I probably wouldn't think twice about it. But on the other hand, she has emphasised that the programme is about opposing oppression, whether patriarchal or otherwise; I believe she mentioned that outright in her speech when she accepted the Emmy. If she is holding the programme and herself out as an opponent of oppression, then surely brushing off criticism of Scientology in those terms amounts to a compromise inconsistent with her stated position?

I think it's sort of like how Whedon holding himself out (or at least being held out by his more zealous admirers) as some kind of arch-feminist makes the allegations that he was a creep who cheated on his wife and then made those weird comments about how he did it because he was "surrounded by beautiful, needy women" feel worse, if that makes sense.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 11, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Apple TV dog. We use that as our platform since we don't have a cable box.

Every TV in my house has an AppleTV, but my daughter's (which has a FireTV). So that is one reason why I am curious what the deal is.

Also no one cares, but I saw Run the Jewels last night. I'm in a super good mood this morning despite having right under 5 hours of sleep.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh hell yeah I was worried we wouldn't have a big ole argument about Joss Whedon today

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CBJSprague24 posted:

For years, I thought the second season of Frisky Dingo was bad and wrote it off because the first handful of episodes were pretty dry and I'd somehow seen them all several times, but you get through 5-6 episodes and it's good stuff again. They're running a marathon from about that point on on [as]'s animation marathon right now.

But god drat, Adam Reed and the running gags, man. Now I know why Archer has so many.

As good as Archer is, it has never hit the heights of Frisky Dingo for me because Frisky Dingo has the same joke density in half the runtime. Combine that with the highly serialized nature of the show and by the end of both seasons every piece of dialogue is a laugh line; just a breathless marathon of callbacks, punchlines and one-liners.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Megyn Kelly Bad

quote:

Kelly’s hour of “Today” is down 32 percent compared to a year ago. And “Kathie Lee & Hoda” is down 26 percent.

“Too many people are tuning out NBC. Hoda and Kathie Lee had been a bright spot in the mornings. People are alarmed,” the source said of the slide. Another source told us that “Today” talent is concerned.

“The format for Megyn’s show doesn’t make sense. Her show distracts from the ‘Today’ franchise,” the second source said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

JethroMcB posted:

As good as Archer is, it has never hit the heights of Frisky Dingo for me because Frisky Dingo has the same joke density in half the runtime. Combine that with the highly serialized nature of the show and by the end of both seasons every piece of dialogue is a laugh line; just a breathless marathon of callbacks, punchlines and one-liners.

I'm trying to figure out why I haven't seen any of these episodes and, based on the release dates of the episodes (some of which premiered 10 years ago this month), I must just have gotten bored with the Presidential campaign and given up. The debate episodes and 2008 episodes were great and right back into the vein of the first season. ([as] is running these and The Xtacles today.)

Simon laughing at Bilbo admitting Wendell had turned him down had me muffling a laugh at my desk.

It feels like they signed Megyn Kelly up thinking she'd draw viewers and the end result has been "What exactly do we do with her?". I'm guessing her Sunday show was a short-term thing with SNF having come back.

• Locked thread