Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Cardiac posted:

Yeah, isn't that mentioned in his self biography?
Speaking of that, that one needs an update. It would be interesting to read a recap of the stuff around MA/HW, Columbine and so on.

Before this happens, he really needs some kind of... I dont want to say career revival or anything, but he just needs to do SOMETHING besides be the guy who really wishes it was 1998 forever. I mean, his professional life since then has been bad sales, mediocre tours, some real train wreck tours, novelty bit parts on TV shows, and showing up on news shows sometimes to be marilyn manson.

He's not a total waste of a brain (yet) and he's not endearing like Lemmy or anything so I don't really see what he'd write about.

That said, I'd really like to know the real story about what happened with Phantasmagoria. I mean, I'm sure it's totally boring "just wasn't as interesting as it sounded initially, no one would fund it, project petered out" stuff but I hold the vague hope there was something really brilliant there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Probably the same thing that happened to the Holy Wood novel/novel: It was just a stupid vanity project and lacked anyone with real talent to see it forward.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Probably the same thing that happened to the Holy Wood novel/novel: It was just a stupid vanity project and lacked anyone with real talent to see it forward.

Also wasn't there some kind of triptych opera or something he was goign on about in the late 90s? I might've hallucinated that one, though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pretty sure Twiggy gave up calling himself twiggy after he got unceremoniously replaced by Tim Skold on GAOG and returned as Jeordie white after that.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Laserface posted:

Pretty sure Twiggy gave up calling himself twiggy after he got unceremoniously replaced by Tim Skold on GAOG and returned as Jeordie white after that.

Correct:

quote:

He said, “I just wanted to let you know the reason why I did not use the name Twiggy outside of the band, it was out of respect for what we did together. It just didn’t belong anywhere else.” Now it’s back. It’s like a bad sexually transmitted disease. It’s all about suppression. There was no cure for Twiggy, and now I got it back again. Now I have to spread it to everyone else.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

SAY10 music video:

https://youtu.be/otSSwS_Nh9A

Featuring Johnny Depp with really cool makeup!

Badchay fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 10, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Twitter Account posted:

1. Holy Wood
2. Antichrist Superstar
3. Portrait of an American Family
4. Mechanical Animals
5. The High End of Low
6. Heaven Upside Down
7. The Golden Age of Grotesque
8. The Pale Emperor
9. Born Villain
10. Eat Me, Drink Me

Switch Portrait and Mechanical Animals and you've got a deal.

Badchay posted:

SAY10 music video:

https://youtu.be/otSSwS_Nh9A

This is actually super dope, and I just realized how much the song reminds me of Pretty Hate Machine-era NIN and even a little bit of The Legendary Pink Dots. Though of course it has the Marilyn Manson problem of having a boring chorus. :(

precision fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 10, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Just to provide a dissenting opinion

1. Mechanical Animals
2. Antichrist Superstar
3. Golden Age of Grotesque
4. Portrait of an American Family
5. Holy Wood
10. Everything else

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

precision posted:

Switch Portrait and Mechanical Animals and you've got a deal.

This is actually super dope, and I just realized how much the song reminds me of Pretty Hate Machine-era NIN and even a little bit of The Legendary Pink Dots. Though of course it has the Marilyn Manson problem of having a boring chorus. :(

The chorus is the best part.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

il_cornuto posted:

Just to provide a dissenting opinion

1. Mechanical Animals
2. Antichrist Superstar
3. Golden Age of Grotesque
4. Portrait of an American Family
5. Holy Wood
10. Everything else

I will second this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd probably swap Holy Wood and Portrait but otherwise I'm down with that. Mechanical Animals to me is so obviously the best by miles

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

1. ACSS
2. Holywood
3. Portrait
4. Mechanical

everything else doesnt matter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Harsh but fair

Honestly I never liked Portrait much and haven't listed in so long I barely remember it. I saw them live a lot around then though

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Heaven Upside Down is really good. Saturnalia, Say10, and Tattooed in Reverse are the standouts; everything else is great except Revelation #12. I would say Saturnalia alone is simply better than anything he's done in 16 years.

Badchay posted:

SAY10 music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otSSwS_Nh9A

Best video since (s)AINT, by far.

Since we're listing our favorite albums, I'd go with:

1. Holywood
2. Mechanical Animals
3. Heaven Upside Down
4. The Pale Emperor
5. Born Villain
6. Everything else.

I never understood the love for AntiChrist Superstar outside of The Beautiful People and the title track. Most of the album sounds unfinished, and given the contentious recording history of the album, I believe it is.

Portrait, EMDM, GOAG, and High End of Low are so forgettable outside of one or two tracks each.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

viral spiral posted:

I never understood the love for AntiChrist Superstar outside of The Beautiful People and the title track. Most of the album sounds unfinished, and given the contentious recording history of the album, I believe it is.

lol get the gently caress outta here

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

InfrastructureWeek posted:

lol get the gently caress outta here

It's an overrated album.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah people talk like it's a 10 but it's really just a solid 8.5

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ACS was originally just Portrait part 2 and then somewhere along the line it became this big overwrought concept album, at one point early on they were still thinking of re-recording some old spooky kids tunes for it

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

1. Mechanical Animals.
2-9. Left empty in case anything else ever even loving comes close.
10. ACSS
11. Holywood
12. Portrait/SLC
13. Heaven Upside Down
14. GAoG
15. Pale Emperor
16-whatever. Everything else.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

See Mechanical animals is what I think is the most overrated. it has a few good singles but it sounds horribly over produced (which I guess is part of the theme) but has tons of filler stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Laserface posted:

See Mechanical animals is what I think is the most overrated. it has a few good singles but it sounds horribly over produced (which I guess is part of the theme) but has tons of filler stuff.

Every song on it is 10/10, actually.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

ACS was originally just Portrait part 2 and then somewhere along the line it became this big overwrought concept album, at one point early on they were still thinking of re-recording some old spooky kids tunes for it

So it was almost a masterpiece but got drowned in overly ambitious wank then. Still a lot of good songs on that record.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I remember when that album came out I thought it was horrible. It wasn't until YEARS later that I gave it a choice and realized what a fool I was. I was convinced that Manson was a sell out that let fame get to his head! I didn't realize that was part of the aesthetic of the album.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

David Bowie was so loving good that the album where Marilyn Manson was doing a David Bowie impersonation is by far his best thing.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

viral spiral posted:

Heaven Upside Down is really good. Saturnalia, Say10, and Tattooed in Reverse are the standouts; everything else is great except Revelation #12. I would say Saturnalia alone is simply better than anything he's done in 16 years.

Saturnalia is hands down the best song on the record. On the same level as Warship my wreck from TPE.
After having to wait for my physical copy, I devoured the album yesterday.
Current impression:
Not the same highs as TPE (except Saturnalia) but also not the same lows that MM generally has on his albums.
I miss a slower ballad thing that he usually does well but is not really present here.
I also miss the sarcastic nihilistic humor that he can do so well, like The Devil Beneath my Feet as well as the entire Portrait.

MM supports my theory of musicians going back to their roots the older they get.
I know a bunch of other long time bands that now are going back to death/doom after having done stuff in synth and progressive rock and whatever.
And MM is sounding more and more like on Portrait.

And for the list:
1. Holy Wood (Basically tied with MA, but the highs are better)
2. Mechanical Animals (Contains my favourite MM song ever)
3. ACS (Because the general gently caress you all and nihilism is hard to beat)
4. TPE (Some excellent highs and only a few bummers)
5. Portrait (Cause it is so much of a first record in terms of roughness and being unfinished)
6. HUD/THOL (So far tied, HUD seems more even, but I liked the highs on THOL).
7. EMDM (For being a clear break from previous records and done well).
8. BV (Weak overall)
9. GAOG (Because it is a lovely remix of ACS without any of the good things from it)
10. Smells like Children ( I notice no one likes this one for good reasons)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

You can really here it from the demos, which has a similar sound to Portrait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihljts-MzpQ

I like what it became, but the demos are awesome too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Portrait is always the one I thought was most overrated. I can see how the less overwrought/more humorous nature of it appeals to some, but to me it's always been very much a weaker debut album and too on-the-nose about being "soooo weeeeeird"

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Portrait is always the one I thought was most overrated. I can see how the less overwrought/more humorous nature of it appeals to some, but to me it's always been very much a weaker debut album and too on-the-nose about being "soooo weeeeeird"

For someone recording demos when they're like 18 that turns into a record when they're around 22-23, portrait is pretty goddamn impressive.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ACSS just has such an incredible sound and texture to it, hard to beat in my opinion. Anyway I just listened to it twice in a row to spite you haters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It bugs the crap out of me that the chorus isn't "you say God I say 10". "you say God I say SAY10" has a clunky mouth feel.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

precision posted:

It bugs the crap out of me that the chorus isn't "you say God I say 10". "you say God I say SAY10" has a clunky mouth feel.

A lil echo right there would go a long way, it wasn't until like the 3rd listen that I realized that's what seemed off

You say God(god) I say say10

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

precision posted:

This so much.
Also because "you say god I say 10" would actually count as the okay wordplay MM is known for. "You say god I say satan" is something I would have come up with at 14 when I discovered MM and The Satanic Bible. Makes me cringe.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
"Say, say, say 10" is in the chorus as well, you dweebs. I like how it includes both variants. SAY10 is easily one of the best tracks on the record.

Edit: I loving love Johnny Depp's facial expressions in the video.

viral spiral fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 12, 2017

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

"I say ten" isn't word play and it means nothing and sounds stupid as gently caress. Here, let's look closer.

Person one: God

Person two: Ten

See, that's stupid and nonsensical.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nah, he's just saying 天.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Vince MechMahon posted:

"I say ten" isn't word play and it means nothing and sounds stupid as gently caress. Here, let's look closer.

Person one: God

Person two: Ten

See, that's stupid and nonsensical.

Good heavens (Upside Down), you're ignorant. It's intentionally meant to sound like 'Satan.'

Jfc

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

viral spiral posted:

Good heavens (Upside Down), you're ignorant. It's intentionally meant to sound like 'Satan.'

Jfc

One reviewer pointed out that one of MMs major fault is his overestimation of how much his audience needs to be shocked. Say10 is an example of this, but hardly the worst.
But then you get stuff like Saturnalia which is a 8 min song that is almost too short. Which is actually one reason why I like EMDM, since MM went away from his comfort zone and the usual setup ie first single being Beautiful People version XX.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Shall we just pretend Jesus Crisis wasn't written and performed by a 50 year old man

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

viral spiral posted:

Jfc

No poo poo. But word play only works if it works both ways. "I say ten" means nothing. The word play was that it was the name of the album and also his tenth album. But then they changed the fuckin title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I Satan!

• Locked thread