Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Pacific Rim 2 is doing something right. John Boyega belongs as a leading man. Not a secondary character to boring white son of old western man.

I'm expecting them to screw it up somehow at this point. That trailer didn't fill me with a lot of hope.

Still super excited for it though. Boyega is gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

got any sevens posted:

If every movie was as weird as john waters movies, how would john waters distinguish himself?

Making all his movies the equivalent of the norming fetish from 30 Rock.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Bringing the two discussions together with cartoons, dubs, urban cats and regional popularity, I think Samurai Pizza Cats is at least somewhat more fondly regarded by Western audiences for its entertaining dub, which the dubbers had to come up with wholecloth because the anime's original makers neglected to send scripts along with the show.

Hahaha, that explains a lot. from what I remember the spanish dub over here took A LOT of liberties with Samurai Pizza Cats, adding lines everywhere, wherever they wanted and making it extremely funny. god, I hope they said to the actors just to say whatever while recording.

Note: same happened with other shows from the late 80's and 90's. X-Men had some random funny lines out of the blue, funnier when it was Wolverine saying them. I haven't watched recent cartoon dubbings in my country so I dunno if they still do it or stick to script.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

A great part of dbz popularity was its dub certainly.they translated kakarot to cachalote (pronounced ka-cha-lot) which is literally sperm whale in portuguese.so vegeta spends all his time calling goku a big fat whale and doing fat mammal puns.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Home for Infinite Losers was a real deal brilliant dub decision.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I liked when RLM made a video defending Daniel Tosh with the master stroke of "Oh so it's ok to make jokes about murder but rape is crossing a line???"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Shin Chan was just as silly in Japanese, right?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Desperado Bones posted:

Hahaha, that explains a lot. from what I remember the spanish dub over here took A LOT of liberties with Samurai Pizza Cats, adding lines everywhere, wherever they wanted and making it extremely funny. god, I hope they said to the actors just to say whatever while recording.

I'm fairly certain this is what happened with the English dub of Samurai Pizza Cats as well, but maybe the original Japanese was just that loving wacky?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i have not watched Pain & Gain but people who like Pain & Gain, really seem to like Pain & Gain. Maybe too much. maybe enjoy michael bay a little less. Maybe a tiny bit less. a smidge.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

basic hitler posted:

i have not watched Pain & Gain but people who like Pain & Gain, really seem to like Pain & Gain. Maybe too much. maybe enjoy michael bay a little less. Maybe a tiny bit less. a smidge.

Impossible

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

basic hitler posted:

Maybe don't judge people for liking a movie that you haven't seen? I haven't seen The Rock, but I'd say Pain and Gain is Michael Bay's best by a country mile.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Maybe don't judge people for liking a movie that you haven't seen? I haven't seen The Rock, but I'd say Pain and Gain is Michael Bay's best by a country mile.

Please fix that and don't come back until you do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But The Rock is in Pain and Gain

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

It’s a really poorly made film

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Super Fan posted:

Come on. This is a nothing statement.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I only saw The Rock once and that was...probably a decade ago? I don't remember it being particularly good though, and I'm a huge Nic Cage fan. Maybe I should revisit it one of these days.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I only saw The Rock once and that was...probably a decade ago? I don't remember it being particularly good though, and I'm a huge Nic Cage fan. Maybe I should revisit it one of these days.

It's a pretty good version of Metal Gear Solid.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I like it. The Rock rules.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's a pretty good version of Metal Gear Solid.
Well that's all the motivation I needed to rewatch it!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Super Fan posted:

Michael Bay puts in more effort per scene than most directors do per film. Saying it's poorly made is just dishonest. Criticise the plot or the acting, sure, but it is executed very well.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

well why not posted:

Michael Bay puts in more effort per scene than most directors do per film.

I disagree.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like most Michael Bay movies or general "bayhem" but I do enjoy Pain & Gain a great deal.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's no denying in all his movies he is meticulous.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Pain & Gain is a good movie but runs the gauntlet of being overhyped that can damage it gaining new fans and becoming the cult movie it deserves to be. The Transformer films are incoherent messes but they obviously have a lot of work put into them being spectacular incoherent messes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Rock should have been in Pacific Rim 2, not as a pilot, but as one of the robots.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Rock is just this really weird and amazing mix of talent that I don't think has ever been seen before or since. Michael Bay as director, Sean loving Connery staring alongside Nicholas Cage in one of his peak Nicholas Cage roles. I think Quentin Tarantino even did a script draft (though I don't know how much of that made it into the final film). It may not be the best movie ever made but it'll always be one of my favorites.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I made the mistake of reading the article that Pain and Gain is based on so I kept comparing the movie to the article.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tyler Perry is playing Collin Powell in Adam McKay's Dick Cheney movie. This is in addition to Christian Bale who gained weight* to play Dick himself, Amy Adams as his wife Lynne, Sam Rockwell as W, and Steve Carrel as Rumsfeld. Pretty cool cast.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/907402228926791680

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 11, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I have, actually? what a weird fuggin pretentious goon thing to say.
I dunno man, you type like you're concussed so I assumed your breadth of film knowledge was a bit limited. My apologies.

Pain & Gain is a failed comedy though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Tyler Perry is playing Collin Powell in Adam McKay's Dick Cheney movie. This is in addition to Christian Bale who gained weight* to play Dick himself, Amy Adams as his wife Lynne, Sam Rockwell as W, and Steve Carrel as Rumsfeld. Pretty cool cast.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/907402228926791680

That sounds nuts. I'll watch anything with Sam Rockwell in it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Was Dubya known for dancing?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Adam McKay going from poo poo like Anchorman and Talladega Nights to dramas like Big Short and now this is still the weirdest thing.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Timby posted:

Adam McKay going from poo poo like Anchorman and Talladega Nights to dramas like Big Short and now this is still the weirdest thing.

and he got nominated for an Academy award for Best Director for The Big Short, and might well receive another for this. Crazy times.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bale is going to kill himself doing these massive weight fluctuations

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i wonder what kind of horrible excess actors would need to do if they have to portray steve bannon

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

They'd have to be dead for a couple weeks in order to accurately recreate his ghoulish, skin-sloughing appearance

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the 90s nic cage action movie quality order is face/off > con air > wild at heart > the rock.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, that's probably the right order. Four great movies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

they really all are seriously good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

basic hitler posted:

the 90s nic cage action movie quality order is face/off > con air > wild at heart > the rock.

Not sure I'd call Wild at Heart an action film but Face/Off is a loving blast. What a dumb loving movie. I love it.

• Locked thread