Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I'm about 200 pages into Sleeping Beauties and really liking it, please tell me this doesn't have an awful Stephen King type of ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Mr. Mercedes got a second season. I never read the book, but it really doesn't seem like it has enough meat to warrant that - is there a lot more in the book that isn't in the series?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Medullah posted:

Mr. Mercedes got a second season. I never read the book, but it really doesn't seem like it has enough meat to warrant that - is there a lot more in the book that isn't in the series?

There were two sequel books. They weren't great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There were two sequel books. They weren't great.

Ah that's right. There goes my hope of a nice mini series type event. Actually think the show is pretty decent.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
mr mercedes is shot in charleston my beautiful hometown so i love it

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Reading through Dark Tower, goddamn is Callahan such a badass. Probably one of my favourite SK characters.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Does Pennywise kill any adults other than Mellon in the beginning of IT?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
He killed Stan, albeit indirectly.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

oldpainless posted:

He kills Eddie

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just finished DUMA KEY and I liked it a lot. Like DOCTOR SLEEP I think I'd like to see King tackle a straight book because I got surprisingly invested in the story of a one-armed man's art show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Just finished DUMA KEY and I liked it a lot. Like DOCTOR SLEEP I think I'd like to see King tackle a straight book because I got surprisingly invested in the story of a one-armed man's art show.

Joyland is mostly a straight book and a coming of age story, with a side story involving a ghost, but I'd barely call it supernatural.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Franchescanado posted:

Joyland is mostly a straight book and a coming of age story, with a side story involving a ghost, but I'd barely call it supernatural.

Well... There's also the kid that can see the future.

The Colorado Kid is a totally straight book.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Well... There's also the kid that can see the future.

The Colorado Kid is a totally straight book.

I forgot about that! Still pretty minor.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I forgot about that! Still pretty minor.
A ghost tells him to call the police.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Franchescanado posted:

I liked Joyland the first time I read it, but when I tried to read it again the narrator got on my nerves. He started feeling like a Mary Sue to me, because he was ohmygod so good at being a mascot and lost his virginity to a hot MILF and was just all-around the best thing ever to happen to that little amusement park. I ended up not being able to finish it on re-read.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Medullah posted:

Ah that's right. There goes my hope of a nice mini series type event. Actually think the show is pretty decent.

You know, I couldn't remember if I'd read the sequels or not, so I looked up the summaries on wikipedia and I still couldn't remember if I'd read them or not so I checked my itunes inventory and apparently I've listened to both audiobooks. That's how little of an impact they made.

Also, apropos of nothing, I just got done listening to Danse Macabre again after re-reading IT for the movie, and it's fascinating to see Stephen King putting together all the elements of IT as he wrote about the history of horror. You can trace an almost direct through-line in the book as he assembles the elements of what must have been his first draft a few years later; from the history of horror monsters to ruminations about childhood and the peculiar power of children and fear.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He kills Eddie

Pretty sure he kills Tom too (albeit incidentally?).

Edit: and doesn't he claim to have given the librarian a stroke or something?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

henpod posted:

Reading through Dark Tower, goddamn is Callahan such a badass. Probably one of my favourite SK characters.

Only issue with Callahan in the Dark Tower series is he's obviously OK with ridding the earth of Vampires anytime he runs into one, but Roland and company is going to be in a world of poo poo should they kill a demon in utero. Coulda just went with "Ka's will" etc from Roland but they went with Catholic priest is super anal about abortion so much that they can't just kill the critter when it would be easiest to do so

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Eat This Glob posted:

Only issue with Callahan in the Dark Tower series is
True but the Callahan Joins Your Party flag won't flip if you do Abort The Chap, which means Jakey is SOL if the story continues and they assault that club .

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

oldpainless posted:

It kills a guard while busting Henry out of prison, I think

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Crimpolioni posted:

Oh yeah. My original question should have been "Does Pennywise kill any adults directly excluding the main characters" because I was reading when Mike describes the murders starting again and uses the phrase "a gay and rather child-like man" about Mellon which got me wondering about any adults being killed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Crimpolioni posted:

Whose name is Koontz

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bobkatt013 posted:

Whose name is Koontz

:lol: literally never noticed that before!

April
Jul 3, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Whose name is Koontz

Koontz was the worst.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I'm reading Apt Pupil right now and I know the general consensus is that the movie is meh at best, but holy poo poo I cannot wait to see Ian McKellen play this character.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Picks off a few of the racist dudes who set fire to the Black Spot as well, and is directly responsible for Eddie Corcoran's dad's suicide.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Karmine posted:

I'm reading Apt Pupil right now and I know the general consensus is that the movie is meh at best, but holy poo poo I cannot wait to see Ian McKellen play this character.

The whole sequence of events that starts the unravelling of the Nazi's and the kid's worlds is incredible.

It's like Alex the Droog whistling "Singin' in the Rain" while taking a bath in that guy's house.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Karmine posted:

I just finished it yesterday and the last line of this story is one of the most chilling things I've ever read.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am in the middle of my 10+ reread of Salem's Lot. I am reading the original version this time.

I have a question about Danny and Ralphie Glick. Does Ralphie even turn into a vampire in the book? Who turns Danny? In the book Barlow is not even in town yet (we assume he arrives by that U Haul). Straker seems to be the one who kidnapped Ralphie, and does some ritual in the graveyard with him (sacrifice?). Danny comes out of the woods, and he is dazed. Has he already been bitten? Who visits him in the hospital? In the movie it is his brother Ralphie, but book doesn't say. After all these years of thinking it was Ralphie in the book (could be because I saw the miniseries first) I now don't think Ralphie was ever turned. Unless he was kept alive until Barlow showed up, which doesn't sound right. I just remembered Danny doesn't go to the hospital until like 5 days later, but the U Haul section is right after he is taken to the hospital.

Stupid questions I know!

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 17, 2017

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I read Dr. Sleep like 3 years ago and I hated that book

That's my Stephen King story

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
dr. sleep is fine

that's it. it's just fine.

it's not scary, but it's fine.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chernobyl kinsman posted:

dr. sleep is fine

that's it. it's just fine.

it's not scary, but it's fine.

I was in the odd position of just having read The Shining for the first time when Dr. Sleep came out so I pretty much had to read it.

It had some good spooky/creepy poo poo in it but overall not exactly a worthy sequel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Furia posted:

I read Dr. Sleep like 3 years ago and I hated that book

That's my Stephen King story

I loved it as I read it just as I was getting sober, and it was just what I needed at the time. The fact as it's a giant love letter to Aa helped me a bunch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Dr. Sleep was OK but all that bullshit with the vampires or whatever it was stupid and overall it barely felt connected to The Shining except tangentially. Seemed like there were a lot of more interesting places King could have vistited if he wanted to do a true sequel.

As it was, Dr. Sleep was more or less a stand alone novel.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Sorry about the slight derail, but...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Story Engineering by Larry Brooks.

Cheers for the recommend. This was exactly what I was looking for in regards to what I felt was missing from "On Writing". If "On Writing" was the heart of what makes me want to put pen to paper then "Engineering" is the skeleton and the flesh that it powers.

April posted:

Gary Braunbeck

Started this one as well and it has an odd start. Fan fiction where the dude's Stephen King novels fight a toy Godzilla. Very bizarre.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BiggerBoat posted:

Seemed like there were a lot of more interesting places King could have vistited if he wanted to do a true sequel.
I appreciated the kid being super hosed up, basically the 6th Sense kid as a grownup. It was a perfect example of King's penchant towards making the supernatural equal part curse and gift.

Like you'd assume the kid would recover from his crazy dad and have these wonderful powers and nope It's all terrible reliving monstrosities because you can't shut the tap off.

The vamps were a good take on Insomniafolk, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FilthyImp posted:

Like you'd assume the kid would recover from his crazy dad and have these wonderful powers

Why would you ever assume this

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

I appreciated the kid being super hosed up, basically the 6th Sense kid as a grownup. It was a perfect example of King's penchant towards making the supernatural equal part curse and gift.

Like you'd assume the kid would recover from his crazy dad and have these wonderful powers and nope It's all terrible reliving monstrosities because you can't shut the tap off.

The vamps were a good take on Insomniafolk, though.

1. That's not how abuse and trauma works.

2. That was the best part of the book.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

syscall girl posted:

I was in the odd position of just having read The Shining for the first time when Dr. Sleep came out so I pretty much had to read it.

It had some good spooky/creepy poo poo in it but overall not exactly a worthy sequel.

There was no dramatic tension whatsoever because the bad guys were such a bumbling bunch of idiots and were totally overmatched from the get-go. It's like King set up a bunch of tin soldiers for the protagonist to knock over. So the spooky/creepy poo poo was neutered and it was just the literary equivalent of a stale Twinkie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Phanatic posted:

There was no dramatic tension whatsoever because the bad guys were such a bumbling bunch of idiots and were totally overmatched from the get-go. It's like King set up a bunch of tin soldiers for the protagonist to knock over. So the spooky/creepy poo poo was neutered and it was just the literary equivalent of a stale Twinkie.

Thematically, I felt like the Monstro-Hippies were okay, because it was the natural extension of a normal King schtick; that the bad guys are just everyday, hosed up people with their own trials and tribulations who got swept up into some bad poo poo and kept digging down instead of digging up. When it works, like in The Stand or The Shining or the middle part of the Tommyknockers, that shtick works really well. The problem was, there just wasn't much of a story going on around them.