Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

zooted heh posted:

In f1 2017 when racing 50% distances my pit crew fills enough fuel to last the entire race. Should I be lowering that before it starts? I feel like the game isn't actually compensating that I'm racing half the normal laps.

there isn't refueling in f1, so you finish the race on one tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
He's saying that he's doing a 50%(for example) race length but suspects the fuel is being filled to a level needed to complete a 100% length race so his car is heavier than it needs to be because he's carrying twice the fuel he needs. I don't think the game scales fuel usage and tire wear by race length so it's a valid concern.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Tire wear definitely doesn't scale with race distance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zooted heh posted:

In f1 2017 when racing 50% distances my pit crew fills enough fuel to last the entire race. Should I be lowering that before it starts? I feel like the game isn't actually compensating that I'm racing half the normal laps.

There's definitely something fucky with how F1 2017 handles gas on lower than real lap counts. Sometimes I have way more gas than I should, other times I do a really short practice or race and its like "You only have enough gas for 5 laps!" and then 2 sectors later its "you're out of gas!" Like, what the hell? I didn't just do 4 laps and I'm not even running the engine rich.

I think there's a bug or a design flaw in how they "compress time" for certain calculations.

cowboy elvis posted:

Tire wear definitely doesn't scale with race distance.

Yeah

GutBomb posted:

He's saying that he's doing a 50%(for example) race length but suspects the fuel is being filled to a level needed to complete a 100% length race so his car is heavier than it needs to be because he's carrying twice the fuel he needs. I don't think the game scales fuel usage and tire wear by race length so it's a valid concern.

I'm pretty sure it does scale fuel but only on really short races and it does not work remotely correct.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

There's definitely something fucky with how F1 2017 handles gas on lower than real lap counts. Sometimes I have way more gas than I should, other times I do a really short practice or race and its like "You only have enough gas for 5 laps!" and then 2 sectors later its "you're out of gas!" Like, what the hell? I didn't just do 4 laps and I'm not even running the engine rich.

I think there's a bug or a design flaw in how they "compress time" for certain calculations

Wouldn't be surprised with the other issues the game had, like with it generating times like it was F1 2010.
Also weird that the tyre wear doesn't scale because it always used to

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just do full real races anyways :)

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
yeah I definitely want to do full races now that I see that. It just felt weird to me that I'm driving 32 laps with maybe one tire change and everyone else in the race is on there 4 pit stop.

So during the race strategy when should I use fuel load slider?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

zooted heh posted:

So during the race strategy when should I use fuel load slider?

During free practice do the gas saving practice program and see how you are for handling gas while maintaining pace on the current circuit. If you're in the purple then you can lower your gas load a bit and get a faster car. If you're struggling to even complete the program, consider putting an extra 2-5% gas just in case, and you can always burn rich on the last few laps.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I haven't noticed any fuel issues doing 25% races, but tyres seem to wear out slower than they should and I can sometimes one-stop a race that Jeff thinks is a two-stop.

However I drive with a pad and a few assists, maybe my tyres are torn to shreds and I don't notice.

I should give 100% races a go but man, that's a lot of time to drive a full season let alone several.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On a whim today I bought a Logitech Driving Force GT off of Facebook Marketplace for $25. I used to have the old "bungee cord" thrustmaster that is in the OP back in the day that I used to play various PC sims, but I've been out of the sim game and the wheel game since the 90's at least.

Anyway, since the DFGT wheel supports PS2/3 and PC, I figured I would pick it up and give it a try. Its in great shape, and came with a wooden (but nicely made) stand.

I fired up Race 07 in steam, since it was the only sim I have installed at the moment (Project Cars is downloading as I type this, thanks random humble bundle from a year ago!!!), and went to town. It took a good 10 laps before I stopped falling off the track in every corner (switching from the shifter to the paddles helped), but eventually I was hot lapping around Brands Hatch in my Mini Cooper race car, trying to shave seconds off my lap time.

It......it was really drat fun. Holy poo poo I think I'm hooked! Hitting corners and nailing the downshifts was incredibly satisfying, as was shipping away at my very slow lap time and making it slightly less slow.

I still fall off the track a lot, but I'm having fun, cant wait for project cars to finish downloading! I know the DFGT isnt the best wheel on the planet, but dammit if it isnt a hell of a lot of fun, and way better than my bungee cord thrustmaster from back in the day!!

Thats my giddy car sim story

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nice :rice:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Been there :3: Welcome to the giddy owners of older but still ridiculously fun wheels club!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I really like Brands Hatch, even the short version the DTM used to drive, and never really understood why people looked down on it as a Micky Mouse track. Also imo turn 1 in Brands Hatch is something that needs quite some time to get right lap after lap.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

WTCC '87 in Race 07 is awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a database or resource somewhere of what settings to use with your wheel in various games? Playing race 07 last night I had all the force feedback cranked to the max because I want to ~FEEL THINGS~ but then I read about clipping in the first post of this thread and I'm sure I was clipping but I'm not experienced enough with the wheel to recognize it or effectively tune it out via settings.

So, long story short, is there a resource for "if you have X wheel and you're playing Y game, use Z settings"?

If it matters I'm primarily playing project cars and race 07/GTR

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

on my dfgt I tend to tone down the ffb to 30%ish for most games because I don't want to gently caress my wrists up

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a database or resource somewhere of what settings to use with your wheel in various games? Playing race 07 last night I had all the force feedback cranked to the max because I want to ~FEEL THINGS~ but then I read about clipping in the first post of this thread and I'm sure I was clipping but I'm not experienced enough with the wheel to recognize it or effectively tune it out via settings.

So, long story short, is there a resource for "if you have X wheel and you're playing Y game, use Z settings"?

For Project Cars you might try these custom FFB settings (only for the first game, he has a different set/thread for PC2 but it's not necessary in 2 imo) which adjust every car and try to avoid clipping and his post has some tips for various wheels as well. There's even a link to a tool that can test your wheel and figure out the best settings to use for a linear response if you want to really dial it in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Unfortunately there's a million scattered resources because who the heck would compile such a thing without getting paid?

Just google the name of the game and the wheel dude

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can try going through a games' forums (official or Racedepartment), those often have threads where people share settings. AC, R3E, pCars1+2 and iRacing have a clipping meter built-in. R3E is F2P, you could download that to get an idea of where the overall strength should be.

I fiddled around a lot with FFB when I started out, but now that I know how it works (in general, from a player's perspective) and also what I want out of it I can generally either get there quickly or realize the FFB of a certain game just is not for me. Luckily there are quite a few sims/games out there right now so I skip some and still have more than enough to play.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Over the weekend, I gave Jack Spade's PCars 2 FFB settings a try, and while the out-of-the-box-settings are already quite okay imo, they are an improvement for me. They feel closer to what I use in my favourite sim R3E, and I really enjoy the game currently. I still think it ain't the hardcore sim people would like it to be, but it nonetheless is drat fun. Endurance races with four random weather slots plus faster day/night-cycle is just drat fun. Adjusting your raceline to puddles forming on the track and slightly testing the "waters" when they start to dry up again in pitch black night while lapping GTE and LMP2 cars is just a very cool experience.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Unfortunately there's a million scattered resources because who the heck would compile such a thing without getting paid?

Just google the name of the game and the wheel dude

Question is: if someone would set something like this up, with a basic rating system, do you think people would contribute to it? Reaching the critical mass for people to take it serious might be drat hard :/

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

They should probably higher that guy cuz they still don't seem to get FFB?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Norns posted:

They should probably higher that guy cuz they still don't seem to get FFB?

Imo PCars2 FFB is a lot better than PCars1, but as I wrote couple of pages back, I still miss sooo much input from the rear, especially in Formula cars. Spade's setup at least gives me a much better feel for overall grip loss/grip level. I haven't tested it with Formula cars yet, I stopped driving them in PCars2 because with the stock setup, I lost the rear often never felt it coming really. But Spade's feels much better with LMP1 cars in regard to stock setup imo, which are rather close to Formula-car grip levels, weight and suspension layout, so I'll have to give it a try again.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

cool new Metroid game posted:

on my dfgt I tend to tone down the ffb to 30%ish for most games because I don't want to gently caress my wrists up

Pussy. j/k

I generally keep it at 100 in the Cpanel and then change it in game..
Each game has a different feel and even then in cases like iRacing.. the Indy car has a much "harder" wheel than a craftsman truck.. so I tend to adjsut it in game per race.

edit: My Shifter comes today and I'm excited!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Pussy. j/k

I generally keep it at 100 in the Cpanel and then change it in game..
Each game has a different feel and even then in cases like iRacing.. the Indy car has a much "harder" wheel than a craftsman truck.. so I tend to adjsut it in game per race.

edit: My Shifter comes today and I'm excited!

You can also use your new fancy shifter as an ebrake in rally poo poo. It feels pretty good as a sequential as well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Norns posted:

You can also use your new fancy shifter as an ebrake in rally poo poo. It feels pretty good as a sequential as well.

yeah I may use it as an e-brake in F7 driftos or whatever.. I wish the TH8a had a quick swap out for the shifter plate. to switch to sequential. I wouldn't mind adjusting it "per car" in Forza or any of the other 15 racing games I own.

edit: can I use it with the DIN connector on teh PC? I'm low on USB ports.. I can get a hub if needed.

e2: found it in a video can only replace paddles on PC when connected with DIN connection to wheel.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 11, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eyud posted:

For Project Cars you might try these custom FFB settings (only for the first game, he has a different set/thread for PC2 but it's not necessary in 2 imo) which adjust every car and try to avoid clipping and his post has some tips for various wheels as well. There's even a link to a tool that can test your wheel and figure out the best settings to use for a linear response if you want to really dial it in.

Thanks for this! Elsewhere in that thread I also found this linked, which should be helpful for pcars at least

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35147-Baseline-controler-FFB-values-Google-sheet-amp-FCM-Universal

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know what these pedals are? Of course I'm two days into this and already looking at building cockpits lol

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Invert mounted g27 pedals?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

G27 pedals removed from the base and inverted. Yeah

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eyud posted:

I tried these last night. Is there any indication in Project Cars itself that it is using the tweaker ffb files? Or do I just assume it is?

I ask because this was also my first time playing Project Cars and my first time playing Project Cars with a ffb wheel, so I have no idea if it's better or not, my only indication would be the game itself telling me it's using the files.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I tried these last night. Is there any indication in Project Cars itself that it is using the tweaker ffb files? Or do I just assume it is?

I ask because this was also my first time playing Project Cars and my first time playing Project Cars with a ffb wheel, so I have no idea if it's better or not, my only indication would be the game itself telling me it's using the files.

Remove the files and try without. Does it feel different?

You can also see FFB on the telemetry hub.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

OhsH posted:

Invert mounted g27 pedals?

Yep, look exactly like my old set that was mounted that way.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

Imo PCars2 FFB is a lot better than PCars1, but as I wrote couple of pages back, I still miss sooo much input from the rear, especially in Formula cars. Spade's setup at least gives me a much better feel for overall grip loss/grip level. I haven't tested it with Formula cars yet, I stopped driving them in PCars2 because with the stock setup, I lost the rear often never felt it coming really. But Spade's feels much better with LMP1 cars in regard to stock setup imo, which are rather close to Formula-car grip levels, weight and suspension layout, so I'll have to give it a try again.

The Jack Spade settings have made formula cars good for me, I did a few races online last night in the Renault at Monza and didn't lose the back end once (I suffered from this before).

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

The Jack Spade settings have made formula cars good for me, I did a few races online last night in the Renault at Monza and didn't lose the back end once (I suffered from this before).

That sounds promising. Hopefully I find some time at the weekend to test it out, but the DTM season finisher in Hockenheim might actually steal most of it :/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone mind posting their diy cockpits? I need some inspiration

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone mind posting their diy cockpits? I need some inspiration

They're basically all the same fundamental frame. You have a seat and you have a thing that holds the wheel, and ideally the two are connected to keep them from shifting around.

You can have a single pole/block of wood to hold the wheel, but then you have to put your legs on either side of it. Alternatively you can build a stand with two legs that sit outside the seat width, but that's a little more work. Ideal though.

Like this

Or this

As long as it holds your wheel and you can sit on it you can't really go wrong. Just hammer some 2x4s together or something.

E: Comedy option

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 14, 2017

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mine is hodge podge. I bought the seat from a guy off iracing for cheap. I am thinking about saving up to build a OSW and using a minimal 80/20 frame to hold it all together.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

For a long time I used a cheap wooden TV-dinner tray stand with my pedals on the floor and sitting in a computer chair while I played.

But now I just have a Playseat and its nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Here's mine.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 14, 2017