Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Pulisic should try to move to England as soon as possible or American sponsors are going to forget he exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The US must have Don Garber murdered if soccer will succeed here. I am not joking, he must go.

Garber Gulati suicide pact

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gigi Galli posted:

Pulisic should try to move to England as soon as possible or American sponsors are going to forget he exists.

I can't wait for some shithead owner of San Antonio United FC or something to offer him enough money that he stays here and we get to see his skills atrophy in real time.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Please no. I want him to be cool and good in the future, not Michael Bradley.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Gigi Galli posted:

Sponsors will forget he exists either way until 2021.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Let's look at the current situation in MLS. The historically best MLS teams (DC and LA) are currently two of the three worst teams in the league. The "fad" teams that are garbage but have the biggest fan followings, are extremely mediocre (Seattle/Portland). The best MLS teams have the shittiest USMNT players (Toronto)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Let's look at the current situation in MLS. The historically best MLS teams (DC and LA) are currently two of the three worst teams in the league. The "fad" teams that are garbage but have the biggest fan followings, are extremely mediocre (Seattle/Portland). The best MLS teams have the shittiest USMNT players (Toronto)

Nobody watches any of those teams because MLS is an abysmal league full of garbage players and awful play

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

We can't produce CL or PL players with our current setup/culture. Bottom of the barrel CL players are making their debuts for their club's first team when our players are facing high school opposition and thinking about prom.

The entire US Soccer setup is so bad. It's amazing that players like Pulisic or Bobby Wood make it to Europe at a young age. The setup is terrible. The youth coaches are bad, they're getting better because they're getting younger. Putting promising US players into the NCAA system is a death knell. NCAA soccer is so bad.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nobody watches any of those teams because MLS is an abysmal league full of garbage players and awful play

It can be better but it's run by incompetents waiting for this mythical wave of young, rabid soccer fans who aren't coming

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

MLS is part of the problem. Michael Bradley is part of the problem. A player who is playing in one of the best leagues in the world decides he'd rather make more money playing in a garbage league when he's 25 loving years old is such a depressing prospect.

Bradley's decision to leave Italy to come back to MLS was so disappointing, and he's regressed as a player since he's been back in MLS.

A solution would be to stop picking Bradley now that he hasn't been good for some time.

Even with the MLS problems, they should be able to throw out more talent than everyone but Mexico. I mean T&T isn't filled with Champions League players.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The problem with MLS are the "supporters" and owners not the players.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shrapnig posted:

The problem with MLS are the "supporters" and owners not the players.

The players are also bad, to be fair

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Sunil is swimming home, right?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

shoplifter posted:

Sunil is swimming home, right?

Not a chance. The dude put 100 million in the bank and now that the US is going to be financially hosed by this to the tune of 10 million (guaranteed) to 30 million (projected), he will be voted in to keep the USMNT from sinking financially

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MLS can't be better unless you're willing to operate the league at a massive loss because nobody here gives a poo poo about it to increase the leagues revenue.

Unless a bunch of elite world class players decide they want to play in our shitshow of a country for a pittance, MLS will always be nothing but a CONCACAF redraft with some South American gutter scraps thrown in.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

MLS can't be better unless you're willing to operate the league at a massive loss because nobody here gives a poo poo about it to increase the leagues revenue.

Unless a bunch of elite world class players decide they want to play in our shitshow of a country for a pittance, MLS will always be nothing but a CONCACAF redraft with some South American gutter scraps thrown in.

You can make hard decisions like moving teams from underperforming areas. You can reduce the cap of international players allowed on each team. You can add another youth international DP slot to offset the costs associated with bringing in young talent.

None of that would lead to huge operational losses.

There's basically a shitload you can do.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Please no. I want him to be cool and good in the future, not Michael Bradley.
The EPL and MLS have been the two biggest problems in US player development but happen to be the two leagues the players want to be in most.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a reason why MLS won't let some rich oil tycoon by a team and spend $100 million on players that are actually good?

The problem seems to be that to make people care about your league you need good players who people want to watch. And capping what the league spends on players ensures that you have garbage talent.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Niwrad posted:

Is there a reason why MLS won't let some rich oil tycoon by a team and spend $100 million on players that are actually good?

The problem seems to be that to make people care about your league you need good players who people want to watch. And capping what the league spends on players ensures that you have garbage talent.

None of the owners actually wants to win they're just rich fucks who like to pretend they're someone who matters, like an NFL team owner.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

[quote="“XyrlocShammypants”" post="“477262554”"]
You can make hard decisions like moving teams from underperforming areas. You can reduce the cap of international players allowed on each team. You can add another youth international DP slot to offset the costs associated with bringing in young talent.

There’s basically a shitload you can do.
[/quote]

Move them to other areas that will care for like 18 months because it's new and then move on to other interests?

Reduce the cap to pay more of them with what money?

There aren't enough people in this country who give a poo poo to sustain a high level league. The math doesn't work.

Can it be better? Sure. But reducing it from really bad to bad is a fruitless endeavor.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

MLS is the place where Central Americans and Caribbeans go to maintain a mediocre enough level to be able to occasionally beat the USMNT.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the only solution is a final one. burn it all down.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

There's basically a shitload you can do.
lol just set up a normal system, you dweebs.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

sportsgenius86 posted:

Who gives a poo poo about league revenue. It should be run like every other league in the world with promotion and relegation and grow sustainably. Even dirt poor nations manage to do it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

[quote="“Niwrad”" post="“477262585”"]
Is there a reason why MLS won’t let some rich oil tycoon by a team and spend $100 million on players that are actually good?

[/quote]

Release the cap and you'll get a better unsustainable league for like three years and then everyone with the money to take that risk will get out.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Move them to other areas that will care for like 18 months because it's new and then move on to other interests?

Reduce the cap to pay more of them with what money?

There aren't enough people in this country who give a poo poo to sustain a high level league. The math doesn't work.

Can it be better? Sure. But reducing it from really bad to bad is a fruitless endeavor.

Atlanta cares, so does Orlando. LA2 will probably care with it's sweet location. Seattle and Portland ended up quite good.

MLS has a lot of money in the bank. Enough to pay down the cost of one more young DP (not regular DP) and even raise the cap slightly.

Lots care, but the quality of play is bad and teams don't stay good for long anymore due to low quality coaching etc.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean the MLS isn't the problem its the US players and coaches being trash. I mean ffs the guys who score for these lovely CONCAF teams are MLS players which is what is so :kingsley:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the only other major league that shares MLS's structure is the A-League, which is probably why Australian soccer is also trash

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Niwrad posted:

I'm serious posting, but this feels like it's just about the only way to fix the problem.

It sucks but the rest of the world is not going to change to fit the US's structure, so they must either adapt or just suck forever. Abandon the bullshit safe space format in the MLS, introduce relegation, get rid of the salary caps to let clubs go nuts and afford actual talent and not players two years away from retirement, and build out some proper youth programs.

Edit: And I mean a few of the newer MLS clubs were NASL teams or whatever before getting moved in as a new franchise, so they had loyal local fanbases, so even if you had relegation they'd probably still be into it as long as the clubs made it seem like they gave a poo poo.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I think this might actually be the time to have this conversation, but it should be in the MLS thread.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
In some dark corner of a faux English pub surrounded by Official US Liverpool Supporters Club stickers a moveon.org petition is taking shape to make the guy from Zonal Marking the next national team coach.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dadjokes posted:

In some dark corner of a faux English pub surrounded by Official US Liverpool Supporters Club stickers a moveon.org petition is taking shape to make the guy from Zonal Marking the next national team coach.

We must hire him and the DZ SIBOT guy from that awful Spurs website

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
MLS is not a league that will produce great players, but I place the fault on players who would rather be comfortable in the MLS than scrapping it out in a more competitive league.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

MLS is part of the problem. Michael Bradley is part of the problem. A player who is playing in one of the best leagues in the world decides he'd rather make more money playing in a garbage league when he's 25 loving years old is such a depressing prospect.

Bradley's decision to leave Italy to come back to MLS was so disappointing, and he's regressed as a player since he's been back in MLS.

They all looked like they were on Valium, and he's been the worst for a while now.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Holy lol, Chile hosed themselves over

quote:

FIFA had ruled that Bolivia were wrong to field Paraguay-born defender Nelson Cabrera as a late substitute in both disputed games.

Cabrera fulfilled Bolivian requirements for nationalisation, having lived in the country for three years. FIFA, though, requires a five-year period of residence.

Because Chile and Bolivia originally drew 0-0, the CAS verdict confirms the FIFA ruling that Chile are awarded an extra two points.

Bolivia had defeated Peru 2-0, and that result has also been reversed.

The complaint gave Chile 2 extra points and Peru 3 extra points, in theory if they hadn't done that, they would have finished in the playoff spot.

http://www.espnfc.com/world-cup-qualifying-conmebol/story/3191675/bolivia-lose-appeal-over-ineligible-player-giving-boost-to-chile

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Taylor Twellman is melting down hard and it owns

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/917945790336606209

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

“We played poorly. The first goal was unfortunate, the second was an incredible shot. There is nothing wrong with what we are doing [in US Soccer].”

Aside from not qualifying for the World Cup, we are doing nothing wrong.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the only other major league that shares MLS's structure is the A-League, which is probably why Australian soccer is also trash

At least we're still alive in the WC Qualifying campaign :feelsgood:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Simone Poodoin posted:

Holy lol, Chile hosed themselves over

The complaint gave Chile 2 extra points and Peru 3 extra points, in theory if they hadn't done that, they would have finished in the playoff spot.

http://www.espnfc.com/world-cup-qualifying-conmebol/story/3191675/bolivia-lose-appeal-over-ineligible-player-giving-boost-to-chile

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

lmao this is amazing

• Locked thread