Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hiddenmovement posted:

I save like a madman. My laptop screen hangs by a wire, the battery having died years ago. My shoes have holes. My shirts no longer fit, they hang off me ragged and loose. The car needs two new tires, 4 new shocks, and a service. I eat nothing but raw fruit and veg, sandwiches, and slow cooker meals. All this in the name of watching my little pile of numbers grow and grow.

Send help tia

:same: except for the car. You really aren't saving anything doing that, and very likely the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Whitlam posted:

For sure, I guess I just have questions about whether it's purely that, or if there's some degree of financial abuse involved in some cases. I mean there's not having great money sense, and then there's "I'm 70 years old, now is a great time to take out all my savings, sell my house, take out a loan and invest it in a taxi license".

Aren't old people like super vulnerable to even the most blatant scams? Sending your inheritance off to Nigerian princes or buying gold or getting into cults just because a nice young man spent half an hour to talk them and wanting to surprise their grandchildren with this present to remember them by

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Zenithe posted:

:same: except for the car. You really aren't saving anything doing that, and very likely the opposite

I crunched the numbers the other day and based on my daily usage levels abandoning it by the side of the road is a pretty strong financial decision

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Not owning a car is great if you can manage getting to work and poo poo without it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

:golfclap:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Not owning a car is great if you can manage getting to work and poo poo without it.

I might be able to get to work without it, but I certainly can't poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

By poo poo I mean social functions. I drink heavily so a car is more of a liability to me than a boon.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

JBP posted:

By poo poo I mean social functions. I drink heavily so a car is more of a liability to me than a boon.

You should probably go through your bank statements and work out roughly how much you've spent on booze the last couple of months. I know a number of people that drank heavily but cut back big time once they realized the sheer amount of cash they were pissing away

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I'm very across the price.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Yeah I'm very across the price.

Start brewing your own.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Just drink goon.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

Just drink, goon.

FTFY

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo you still post here

Once a goon, always a goon.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The taxi in front of me is covered in bumper stickers such as

Use cabs not scabs!
Taxis pay taxes!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Meanwhile

The Courier Mail posted:

EXPLOSIVE security reports have revealed CFMEU protesters have threatened to rape children and physically punish those refusing to support its three-month siege at a Queensland mine.

The militant union, which last week received on-the-ground support from Opposition Leader Bill Shorten, has been filmed and documented threatening security and workers refusing to protest at Oaky North Mine.

One protester is facing charges and four others are being investigated for intimidation and threatening behaviour.

The Queensland Police Service yesterday called for “peaceful” industrial action.

Employment Minister Michaelia Cash described the behaviour as “sickening” and questioned why Mr Shorten continued to support the CFMEU.

Resources giant Glencore locked out about 190 workers from its Bowen Basin mine earlier this year after the CFMEU launched 10 weeks of industrial action.

The union accused Glencore of trying to strip workers of basic rights and increasing housing costs. Weekly rent for a three-four bedroom house at Tieri will rise from $15.50 to $30 a week.

“Motel-type” accommodation, which includes meals, will increase to $48 a week, compared to $24. Most workers earn between $160,000-$180,000 a year.

Highly-placed sources told The Courier-Mail the CFMEU was paying protesters up to $1200 a week to show up to protest. The CMFEU did not respond to questions.

In a letter to Capricornia MP Michelle Landry, Glencore accused the CFMEU of being untruthful about the industrial stalemate.

“Oaky North Scabs” are outed on signs and the children of workers are being targeted. One protest supporter attacked a teenage girl on social media because her family refused to strike.

Security reports reveal protesters have threatened, “I’ll attack you with a crowbar”, and “I’ll f***ing rape your kids c***”.

Senator Cash said: “Bill Shorten can say what he likes but until he cuts all political and financial ties with the CFMEU his words will remain hollow.

“If the Labor Party is ever elected to office, Bill Shorten will ensure these law-breakers will become the lawmakers.”

Mr Shorten said he visited Oaky to show his support for workers.

“I do not condone unlawful or disrespectful behaviour, whoever does it ...(or) a multinational mining company locking out its Queensland workforce unless they accept cuts to pay and conditions.”

Hmmmm there's that paid protesters line again.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Is this a tim and eric bit? I'm confused

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Meanwhile

Hmmmm there's that paid protesters line again.

While I'm sure the paid protesters line is complete bullshit I can sadly believe the threatening posts on Facebook part :smith:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also federal court upheld penalty rates cuts

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Some random bloke making threats on Facebook is now an official CFMEU spokesperson according to the Courier Mail

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

racing identity posted:

Some random bloke making threats on Facebook is now an official CFMEU spokesperson according to the Courier Mail

Be that as it may controlling this poo poo is the union's job when these things happen and they've taken a huge hit because if one fuckwit. One member saying something can be held as "the union" by FWC as well.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is the centrelink robo debt thing still happening? Just had a call to confirm my address and I haven't had to deal with them in years.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

By that I mean, people don't actually know what is in their best interests, they just think they do. The rational actors theory requires a lot of stuff that simply doesn't exist, like perfect information and being able to accurately predict future events. It was all a stupid attempt to blend economy and psychology and clearly you're just better to read tea leaves.

That's a benign interpretation. Another is that robber barons got mad at everyone who weren't robber barons and demanded that the economy be restructured to primarily benefit robber barons. Proof: current events.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
When does the high court reconvene today and is anyone live reporting about it?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Intoluene posted:

When does the high court reconvene today and is anyone live reporting about it?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2017/oct/11/mps-dual-citizenship-case-high-court-sits-for-second-day-live

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This whole thing is sounding more and more like it's going to collapse the government. I mean IANAL but Joyce's argument seem pretty "It's the vibe".

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
This is going to be a long shot but are any of you nerds ex-stupol? I've been asked to help reconstitute the Grassroots Left for NUS (despite hating stupol and not even being a bloody student), so if anyone has any old resources floating around, I'd super appreciate it. I'm currently tossing up whether their old weebly site is worth salvaging.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you guys vote for gay marriage and also crash your government over this disloyal dual citizen minister thing you will leave britain so far in the dust behind you they may never recover their ranking.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hakimashou posted:

If you guys vote for gay marriage and also crash your government over this disloyal dual citizen minister thing you will leave britain so far in the dust behind you they may never recover their ranking.

voting for gay marriage will probably also crash the government

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I know there are some people who post that work at universities, and something odd just happened that I feel I should mention and see if anything should be done.

I did a prac placement and after every day we all filled out a feedback at the end. It's a pilot program so I thought it was just collecting data for that, but it now appears that we were taking part in a study about the effectiveness of the program. Jump to today, I am now expected to give consent to participate in the study, and that failure to do so will result in me failing the course.

Thoughts,
a) you done hosed up your research paper by asking for consent afterwards.
b) you cannot force people to participate in your research.
c) your consent form says that withdrawal does not incur any negative consequences which basically contradicts everything anyway.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kafka Syrup posted:

This is going to be a long shot but are any of you nerds ex-stupol? I've been asked to help reconstitute the Grassroots Left for NUS (despite hating stupol and not even being a bloody student), so if anyone has any old resources floating around, I'd super appreciate it. I'm currently tossing up whether their old weebly site is worth salvaging.

What state mate?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Zenithe posted:

I know there are some people who post that work at universities, and something odd just happened that I feel I should mention and see if anything should be done.

I did a prac placement and after every day we all filled out a feedback at the end. It's a pilot program so I thought it was just collecting data for that, but it now appears that we were taking part in a study about the effectiveness of the program. Jump to today, I am now expected to give consent to participate in the study, and that failure to do so will result in me failing the course.

Thoughts,
c) your consent form says that withdrawal does not incur any negative consequences which basically contradicts everything anyway.

I would be throwing that last part in their face and filming their reactions.

Please do this and report back. That's just ridiculous.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Zenithe posted:

Thoughts,

I don't know how they'd get ethics approval for that at all, nevermind changing the terms after the fact. See if there's a contact person for the ethics committee you can speak to about whether they can do this?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

hooman posted:

What state mate?

Nationally. New Groots/Greens co-organising space has been set up, and I've been tasked with collating stuff from each previous iteration of the Groots, Grindies and various other Green-aligned student political bodies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Escalate to the university ethics committee, pronto.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

It gets better... Justin Gleeson is representing Tony Windsor. Gleeson was the SG that Brandis bullied out not too long ago.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Escalate to the university ethics committee, pronto.

If it's something that's seriously bothering you, do this.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Thanks unigoons.

open24hours posted:

If it's something that's seriously bothering you, do this.

I don't care about taking part in studies, I DO care about ethical research and abuses of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Mr Chips posted:

It gets better... Justin Gleeson is representing Tony Windsor. Gleeson was the SG that Brandis bullied out not too long ago.

if it were me it'd be completely pro bono

• Locked thread