Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The EU has many institutional problems but in regards to most of Eastern Europe its iron-clad rules are most definitely huge positives. Poland and Hungary would probably be actual fascist states at this stage without EU influence/interference.

The EU response to the referendum, a "hard no" to instant Catalan accession, is perfectly rational. And was easily predicted. And its just more proof the Spanish government were fools to try to crush the referendum with jackbooted oppression. If they'd simply launched a large public awareness campaign on economic issues they would have won the referendum peacefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Alright, I made it home in time to watch Puigdemont declare himself Prince of Girona. He may only have a weak claim but the current holder is female and underage. Brace yourselves!

I'm also ready to be declared a foreigner by a bunch of clowns on my own loving city! Hooray!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ulvino posted:

Alright, I made it home in time to watch Puigdemont declare himself Prince of Girona. He may only have a weak claim but the current holder is female and underage. Brace yourselves!

If that's not a joke, I want a link.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

If that's not a joke, I want a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonor%2C_Princess_of_Asturias?wprov=sfla1

It's only half a joke... I hope.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 10, 2017

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Theres a lot material for europa universalis jokes.

Also staying up to watch this shitshow.3 AM in Australia.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

hump day bitches! posted:

Theres a lot material for europa universalis jokes.

Also staying up to watch this shitshow.3 AM in Australia.

Go to sleep, it's not worth it. I stayed up for Brexit and Trump and holy poo poo I regretted that

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

orange sky posted:

Go to sleep, it's not worth it. I stayed up for Brexit and Trump and holy poo poo I regretted that

Slept on the afternoon to be fresh

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

orange sky posted:

It was all good. I hope it ends up good this time too, with independence for Catalonia.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Chokejob

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Massive, massive bottle job. If Catalan nationalists have anything about them they'll run him out of Barca. What a waste of time. A farce.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

he blinked.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Welp, chicken game over, now what?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I told you that this will be a repeat of the Greek 2015 drama.

Varoufakis book update: He finally introduced the European players. Moscovici, who supports SYRIZA because he was a communist in his youth, Djisselbloem, who is basically Schäuble's padawan, trying to impress his master at every turn, Schäuble, who is economically inept (according to Varoufakis), and some former Torry Finance Minister, who likes the Greeks because he hates the Euro.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angry Lobster posted:

Welp, chicken game over, now what?

He'll probably make another boring rear end speech in a couple of months saying the same thing again.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I have very low opinion of Covergencia , now PdCat and it just confirmed everything I feel about them.Massive cowards on top of corrupts.Class interests will always trump identity politics in catalonia.

Now CUP at least know the score and are willing to pay the price of independence.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

GaussianCopula posted:

Varoufakis book update: He finally introduced the European players. Moscovici, who supports SYRIZA because he was a communist in his youth, Djisselbloem, who is basically Schäuble's padawan, trying to impress his master at every turn, Schäuble, who is economically inept (according to Varoufakis), and some former Torry Finance Minister, who likes the Greeks because he hates the Euro.

Does Varofakis know how to divide by zero yet?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Puigdemont has mortally wounded the proces in one dull boring rear end speech, managed to destroy the credibility of the movement, strengthen right wing in spain, ruin any goodwill catalonians had after the repression on the 1O, make a mockery of catalonian rules and laws, the spanish constitution, piss off a bunch of capitalists, ruin his governing coalition, his party, himself and still managed not to declare independence and get 155d.

Just brutal.Cowards suffer a 1000 deaths holy poo poo.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 10, 2017

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Varoufakis book update: He finally introduced the European players. Moscovici, who supports SYRIZA because he was a communist in his youth, Djisselbloem, who is basically Schäuble's padawan, trying to impress his master at every turn, Schäuble, who is economically inept (according to Varoufakis),

Not just according to Varoufakis! This here is the Financial Times:

quote:

In short, Mr Schäuble’s idea of an integrated eurozone involves replicating all the mistakes of the sovereign debt-banking crisis, with a new institution or two to enforce misguided unilateral adjustment on troubled member states from the centre. As spectacular failures to learn from history go, this one is a corker.

No one doubts the sincerity of Mr Schäuble’s belief that he has all of Europe’s interests at heart. But his career is testament to the ability of some ideas to persist in defiance of tottering piles of evidence that they are mistaken.

Also glad Puigdemont appears to have stepped away from the brink, now for Rajoy to screw it all up.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Shout out to Trapero and all the other political public servants charged with sedition and 5 other counts.I'm sure you'll appreciate your sacrifice being wasted by Puigdemont.Great message sent to future activists.

Some guys are going to eat poo poo for the next 16 years in Soto del Real for nothing.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

What an embarrassment. I hope Rajoy sends in the tanks anyway so the whole world can feel like they got something out this mess.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

LMAO

Whole Gallery

beer_war fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 10, 2017

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/917851187545821184

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-idUSKBN1CF2VI

throw to first DAMN IT fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 10, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

wait what the gently caress

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

MiddleOne posted:

wait what the gently caress

I guess it was really short dialogue.
Or they wanted to trick the spanish officials into going to bed before doing the declaration.

https://twitter.com/BDSixsmith/status/914726837791612928

Aviron
Oct 6, 2011

It was signed after the parliament meeting so in theory does not have legal value even in Catalonian courts, but then again the current government go does not hold laws in high esteem. (my guess is that it's just a gesture to keep the CUP from murdering him tonight).

Aviron fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 10, 2017

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Aviron posted:

It was signed after the parliament meeting so in theory does not have legal value even in Catalonian courts, but then again the current government go does not hold laws in high esteem. (my guess is that it's just a gesture to keep the CUP from murdering him tonight).

Yeah, it also says he immediately suspended the effects of whatever it is they signed pending negotiations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

RIP Syndrome posted:

Yeah, it also says he immediately suspended the effects of whatever it is they signed pending negotiations.

Americans rejoice! Trump is now the 2nd dumbest "national" leader!

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

This is just incredible.He's going to make Rajoy look like a level headed leader

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haha gently caress I was just having dinner with some colleagues and after checking the news, told them the declaration was suspended so they'll be able to come back to the same country they came from. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've been using Twitter to take the pulse of Catalan nationalists and apparently not declaring independence is a master stroke because it will force Spain to bow to international pressure?

Puigdemont is a clown. A time wasting clown.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pissflaps posted:

I've been using Twitter to take the pulse of Catalan nationalists and apparently not declaring independence is a master stroke because it will force Spain to bow to international pressure?

Puigdemont is a clown. A time wasting clown.

No you dumb twat, it forces to Rajoy to respond to the offer for negotiation, and since he's incapable of compromise his inevitable refusal to talk will lend the declaration of independence legitimacy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

lollontee posted:

No you dumb twat, it forces to Rajoy to respond to the offer for negotiation, and since he's incapable of compromise his inevitable refusal to talk will lend the declaration of independence legitimacy.

This is wishful thinking. If Rajoy has managed to develop even an ounce of sense since last Sunday he'll just ignore these theatrics. Nobody else is taking them seriously.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Image a country actually existing whose declaration of independence can be "suspended" by the government it creates. Maybe Rhodesia?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

lollontee posted:

The declaration of independence could gain legitimacy by calling snap elections instead of insisting in using the results of a referendum that's less statistically significant than a phone poll.

If they actually had a majority, I mean.

Pissflaps posted:

If Rajoy has managed to develop even an ounce of sense since last Sunday he'll just ignore these theatrics.

Oh god he's sending in the tanks isn't he?

Aviron
Oct 6, 2011

lollontee posted:

The declaration of independence already had all the legitimacy it was going to get: the Spanish government is not going to back down and Europe has made very clear they don't want to be involved in this mess, but the Catalonian independence movement had the support of both the Catalonian parliament and the general populace. By doing this 'We are independent but we are putting in on hold for negociation but we are totally serious guys, see we are signing papers like in the movies' , Puigdemont has only managed to make all parties unhappy (except Ada Colau, who didn't even know what she wanted either).

Aviron fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 10, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This independence thing seems like something more than a few people hosed up on

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I don't get the end plan at all.
Seems like thet organised all this to then suspend a non proclaimed independence to have a higher ground while you negotiate ( negotiate what?) an independence.

Is it a deliberate attempt to get the EU to declare them independent , to shame the Spanish into submission?

Some people are reading a master stroke into this

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

hump day bitches! posted:

I don't get the end plan at all.
Seems like thet organised all this to then suspend a non proclaimed independence to have a higher ground while you negotiate ( negotiate what?) an independence.

Is it a deliberate attempt to get the EU to declare them independent , to shame the Spanish into submission?

Some people are reading a master stroke into this

I'm not sure what the plan was, but this outcome was obviously not it. That's the thing about brinkmanship, once in a while the other party will call your bluff and you'll look like an idiot.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Freezer posted:

I'm not sure what the plan was, but this outcome was obviously not it. That's the thing about brinkmanship, once in a while the other party will call your bluff and you'll look like an idiot.

They think they can shame the country that keeps a cool 200k corpses in mass graves into giving them independence.And are confident this is a master plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
That Catalonian parliamentary leader may have just committed a really dumb mistake.