Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm worried they are going to go for a dumb as hell storyline where Michael wants to be nice to the giant Tardigrade and everyone else wants to be cruel to it for reasons. Even though it is the only specimen of the species they have, so the whole project depends on keeping it healthy.

Captain Angry: "I don't care if it's happy or healthy, we have a war to win!"
<Michael sets it free and they can never use the spore-drive again>

(I just spoiled episode 5 for everyone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Blistex posted:

Captain Angry: "I don't care if it's happy or healthy, we have a war to win!"
<Michael sets it free and they can never use the spore-drive again>

(I just spoiled episode 5 for everyone)

:negative:

But seriously, yeah. That's where it's going. Michael just needs to mind meld with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Watched all five episodes of The Orville now, and I quite like stuff like them watching Seinfeld on the viewscreen. Because what the gently caress else are you gonna do with a bigass display when you're X hours out from your destination and the ship's on a fixed course in FTL?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watched all five episodes of The Orville now, and I quite like stuff like them watching Seinfeld on the viewscreen. Because what the gently caress else are you gonna do with a bigass display when you're X hours out from your destination and the ship's on a fixed course in FTL?

Watch the episode preview for the next Orville episode, of course! :haw:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mister Facetious posted:

Watch the episode preview for the next Orville episode, of course! :haw:

I don't think they've hit ludicrous speed yet

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think they've hit ludicrous speed yet

They have caused a colossal temporal paradox though :v:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When will THEN be NOW?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was also dumb. :argh:

If destroying the wormhole collapsed the potentiality so that future woman never came to the past and nobody remembers meeting her, then how did they survive the dark matter storm???

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Facebook Aunt posted:

That was also dumb. :argh:

If destroying the wormhole collapsed the potentiality so that future woman never came to the past and nobody remembers meeting her, then how did they survive the dark matter storm???

Yeah they should have just said she wouldn't remember meeting THEM. Would make a whole lot more sense and leave open future stories with the character.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Most likely what's going to happen is that the time device will used later as it will still be magically in his desk. Otherwise they would've had a shot of it being destroyed or fading away instead of tossed into his drawer.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Most likely what's going to happen is that the time device will used later as it will still be magically in his desk. Otherwise they would've had a shot of it being destroyed or fading away instead of tossed into his drawer.

If your time device wasn't immune to changing timelines, you'd probably never make it back to your own time.

Edit: Wait, sorry. The device was a transporter I think?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The General posted:

If your time device wasn't immune to changing timelines, you'd probably never make it back to your own time.

Edit: Wait, sorry. The device was a transporter I think?

Yup, it was her teleporter. The Wormhole was how she was travelling in time.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You'll have to excuse me, I watch The Orville while drunk/tired/high, pick two.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

why does the saucer section of the discovery spin around like a loving turntable

what possible loving function does that have

It's like Voyager's folding nacelles but even more impractical

the more I watch this show the more I hate it. hmm yes these Starfleet officers are perfectly OK torturing an unknown species for scientific gain even though Equinox did that in the Delta quadrant and even Diktator Janeway got bitchy about it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MA-Horus posted:

why does the saucer section of the discovery spin around like a loving turntable

the more I watch this show the more I hate it. hmm yes these Starfleet officers are perfectly OK torturing an unknown species for scientific gain even though Equinox did that in the Delta quadrant and even Diktator Janeway got bitchy about it

Diktator Janeway was, however, perfectly happy to interrogate the Equinox crewman she captured by locking him in a Cargo Bay and dropping the field shielding Voyager from the interdimensional aliens inside said Cargo Bay. Chakotay has to talk Janeway down while the guy is screaming for his life bound to a chair loud enough to be heard through the door, and she gives Chakotay the dirtiest look when he forcibly re-establishes the field to save the guy's life like she's about two seconds away from shooting him in the face.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Diktator Janeway was, however, perfectly happy to interrogate the Equinox crewman she captured by locking him in a Cargo Bay and dropping the field shielding Voyager from the interdimensional aliens inside said Cargo Bay. Chakotay has to talk Janeway down while the guy is screaming for his life bound to a chair loud enough to be heard through the door, and she gives Chakotay the dirtiest look when he forcibly re-establishes the field to save the guy's life like she's about two seconds away from shooting him in the face.

I wonder how the quarterly captain's reviews went with that guy once he integrated into the crew.
:commissar: So, any complaints or issues you'd like to bring up? This is a totally informal conversation
:downs: Remember that time you tortured me by locking me in the cargo bay and letting the pissed off aliens go to town? The gently caress was that about
:commissar: No complaints good to hear, get me another covfefe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Voyager has folding nacelles for lower wind space resistance obviously.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I thought the folding nacelles were so subspace wasn't damaged when they went to high warp, through the magic of forty five degree angles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

angerbeet posted:

I thought the folding nacelles were so subspace wasn't damaged when they went to high warp, through the magic of forty five degree angles.

Why unfold them then?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Voyager has folding nacelles for lower wind space resistance obviously.

Solar wind resistance!

Solar wind is like real wind.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

MA-Horus posted:

Well you see, the rotating section creates a whirlwind of spores which enhances the drivematrix blabla technobabble

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

MA-Horus posted:

Spinning is cooler than not spinning.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a spinning saucer section is totally appropriate for this hot star trek remix

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Was it just me or were both sections of the saucer spinning counter to each other? How were they even connected to to the stardrive?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Why were the Klingons stuck on the ship starving for 6 months? Couldn't someone from the empire have brought them a spare battery? Was there something special about the federation one?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

This theme starts playing when I think about this show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LOlxfF-gU

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

I wanna gently caress the girl Klingon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One of the Duras sisters or Bellanna Torres or Worfs Baby Mama or Quarks wife or what?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

The one who has the hots for Voq

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Indy posted:

Well you see, the rotating section creates a whirlwind of spores which enhances the drivematrix blabla technobabble

IT REVERSES THE POLARITY

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Al Borland Corp. posted:

One of the Duras sisters or Bellanna Torres or Worfs Baby Mama or Quarks wife or what?

Yes

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
All this talk about rotating saucers and no one mentions the whole ship rotates along its long axis. Someone gif that I'm bad at it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It's just...so bad. Nothing makes any sense at all. Security Chief idiot "HMM LET'S SHOOT THE THING WITH INPENETRABLE HIDE OOPS I'M DEAD", engineer sassy-pants who doesn't seem to understand how Starfleet works, jesus loving Christ.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

It just needs time to hit its stride, says the increasingly nervous trekkie, dick in hand

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Mister Facetious posted:

IT REVERSES THE POLARITY

Like using a magnet to manipulate a compass!
Let's try it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MA-Horus posted:

It's just...so bad. Nothing makes any sense at all. Security Chief idiot "HMM LET'S SHOOT THE THING WITH INPENETRABLE HIDE OOPS I'M DEAD", engineer sassy-pants who doesn't seem to understand how Starfleet works, jesus loving Christ.

Seriously, that character took only a few episodes to become of the dumbest, most annoying Trek characters ever written.

It's like Roddenberry rose from the grave and started writing again.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

"Hmm, our focus groups are telling us that prestige television features morally questionable characters making dubious choices, so if we make all of our characters unlikable jerks, that means we'll have maximum prestige!"

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

It just needs time to hit its stride, says the increasingly nervous trekkie, dick in hand

I don't know if you missed the memo but trekkies already hate it. They'll start to like it once it gets cancelled, it's tradition.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Same, but not B'ellanna.
I'd go for Grelka or the Duras Sisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Duras Sisters showed up in my DS9 watch through and it made me really happy.