Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mrmcd posted:

A big part of keeping engineering teams healthy is actually human management and not which language is good for writing for loops better faster.

Definitely Ruby though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
e; eff

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 18, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kick him in the balls

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

minato posted:

This is an anathema to me. I'm a big fan of TDD, dependency injection, and {unit,integration,functional} tests. I'd love to know how to sell that same mindset to devs, given the reasons they had above for not doing that.

Their reasons basically boil down to "I don't think that tests are worth my time". Frankly, I don't have good ideas for getting buy-in from devs on this issue, beyond leading from example. For me, personally, tests save me time in the same CL that I write them in, because they get me to test my code more exhaustively and I always find new bugs that I wouldn't have found without them. So my code quality is up. Sure it takes more time for me to get the CL submitted (I'd guess at least half my dev time, when working on new features, is spent on writing tests and fixing the bugs they reveal), but I take no pride in submitting buggy code.

Every time there's an outage, that costs so many dev-hours of time to diagnose, roll back, fix, and roll forward (plus of course the cost of having an outage in the first place!). Part of the remediation for the outage needs to be writing a test that will prevent that same issue from happening again. Refusing to write and maintain that test is a tacit admission that the dev doesn't care about making the same mistake twice. If your devs know they're lovely and don't care, then there's not much you can do about that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Pie Colony posted:

I've never worked with separate testing and quality teams but in every company I've been at (which admittedly is only a handful), QA has been a bottleneck. I was very hesitant about continuous deployment but with a decent base of tests (unit/component/integration/end to end) it actually works very well.

QA is a bottleneck because they often get all the blame if a bug makes it into production. If there is a go live without bugs, the developers are praised. It is a job with all the risk and little pay.
Also, testers are some of the most toxic people to be around and those who have options run away fast.
Yes, I have been in QA for 14 years and counting. Why do you ask?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Pollyanna posted:

kick him in the balls

e: eff

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 18, 2017

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is your problem, yeah. You don't have buy-in from the devs; they see no reason to not write lovely code, and ops is getting stuck with the consequences. You can fix this to an
One of my mantras is "code that is not tested does not work". It is just shy of universally true. A corollary to this is that sufficiently complex systems are impossible to adequately test by hand; it's too easy to make a change that breaks an unstated assumption that causes an edge case to break -- an edge case that you didn't think to test, but that nonetheless affects 1% of your user base (i.e. a gigantic number in absolute terms / an untenable amount of lost revenue). Consequently, you need unit tests. And functional tests, and integration tests, and so on. You need code that thoroughly exercises the code that you write, and that runs every time someone makes a change, to ensure that the contracts your code offers are not broken.

poo poo, I think I love you and want to marry you.

minato posted:

I personally agree with this, but others didn't. They complained that such tests:
- increased the amount of code changes required to produce a feature, which delayed deployment
- were of low utility because they caught few bugs. (But ignored that this was because the tests were low quality: few edge cases, hastily-written & perfunctory)
- required significant class refactoring to allow testing "seams" (e.g. supporting mock injection)
- were difficult to maintain test fixtures for because the product changed so fast. (e.g. if a test mocks an API request and someone adds a new parameter, all the mock test fixtures may require updating too).

You two should get married, because I cannot chose a favorite.

Permission to use these quotes in my workplace? I can in return ramble a bunch about how I was hired as a developer in test to fix the (functional but automated) testing in this project, but your eyes might bleed.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

minato posted:

Agreed.

I personally agree with this, but others didn't. They complained that such tests:
- increased the amount of code changes required to produce a feature, which delayed deployment
- were of low utility because they caught few bugs. (But ignored that this was because the tests were low quality: few edge cases, hastily-written & perfunctory)
- required significant class refactoring to allow testing "seams" (e.g. supporting mock injection)
- were difficult to maintain test fixtures for because the product changed so fast. (e.g. if a test mocks an API request and someone adds a new parameter, all the mock test fixtures may require updating too).

So there was a strong incentive to avoid maintained tests entirely and only test with business/technical metrics.

This is an anathema to me. I'm a big fan of TDD, dependency injection, and {unit,integration,functional} tests. I'd love to know how to sell that same mindset to devs, given the reasons they had above for not doing that.

These people most likely need training on how to actually write good and useful tests and why.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Keetron posted:

Permission to use these quotes in my workplace?

Sure, go ahead.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Let me guess, these devs quickly moved on in search of another "greenfield" project and never had to maintain their code long-term?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Keetron posted:

Permission to use these quotes in my workplace?
Sure

Jaded Burnout posted:

Let me guess, these devs quickly moved on in search of another "greenfield" project and never had to maintain their code long-term?
Apparently this was an issue at Google. People would game their perf reviews by working on a project and getting the impact, then immediately abandoning it after perf and starting something else, leaving the old project to rot and burdened with technical debt. Management had to institute a rule forcing people to stay on their projects for at least another half.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the best way to assess the health and lifespan of a startup? I've interviewed with one recently that seems to be doing well - and has been around a number of years - but I've realized I don't know how long the startup will continue to last. I was asked by my parents how they made their money, and I realized I don't really know, and only had a vague idea that they weren't really "owned" by anybody. I'm kind of startup stupid, actually :(

Is this even something worth worrying about? I personally feel that it'd be better to focus more on what you can do, how you can grow, and the product you're working with, especially since my current "safe choice" megacorp position where the idea was to stick around for 3+ years ended up getting run into the ground over the period of less than two. Counting on a very, very long term job seems like a bad idea when you're working in the tech field these days. I think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best way to assess the health and lifespan of a startup?

be a VC with decades of experience, lots of inside info, and a large portfolio then pray you're right some of the time

EDIT: s/profile/portfolio

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 11, 2017

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
How come all these HN or whatever salary threads are full of people making like a quarter million or more in a year and yet actual job listings I see all tend to top out at like 120?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Geography, skillsets, and who they know.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
It kind of sucks the amusement out of looking at job listings when none of them are even offering to match your current salary, you know?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Is this a salary/tcomp discussion? Feels like a salary/tcomp split.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Geography, skillsets, and who they know.

Put another way, the jobs that pay $250k don't want to be posted on public listings. Can you imagine the poo poo-tacular people that would try to lie and cheat their way into such a position? They wouldn't make it past any remotely competent screening process, but they'd be a tremendous waste of time.

Far easier to just send out an email to the company saying "Hey, we're looking for a new TL to head up $team, if you're interested or know someone who is, let us know." That way you get maybe a few dozen submissions/referrals, and the overall quality will be vastly higher.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If job postings are just listing salary it isn't taking into account equity and bonuses which probably make up a substantial portion of the $250k people post on HN

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

be a VC with decades of experience, lots of inside info, and a large profile then pray you're right some of the time

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be able to predict lifespan/health in any intelligent way. I'm just going to focus on the poo poo that matters to me, and if my parents start giving me poo poo for working at a startup then gently caress em.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"What's your current runway and are there any upcoming funding events?"

First one is roughly how long they'll keep paying you. Second is more open, answers like "lol who would fund this shitheap" would be "bad." If they're between B and C, for example, the next funding event might be tied to an internal goal (we can ask for more money after 50k DAU).

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best way to assess the health and lifespan of a startup? I've interviewed with one recently that seems to be doing well - and has been around a number of years - but I've realized I don't know how long the startup will continue to last. I was asked by my parents how they made their money, and I realized I don't really know, and only had a vague idea that they weren't really "owned" by anybody. I'm kind of startup stupid, actually :(

Is this even something worth worrying about? I personally feel that it'd be better to focus more on what you can do, how you can grow, and the product you're working with, especially since my current "safe choice" megacorp position where the idea was to stick around for 3+ years ended up getting run into the ground over the period of less than two. Counting on a very, very long term job seems like a bad idea when you're working in the tech field these days. I think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here.

In my mind, I'm thinking - does this company have the capacity to pay my base salary for at least two years?

I've worked for 3 startups. One that went through 120m in less than a year due to overgrowth and two very small start ups that started with less than 30 people and significantly less money and grew slow and organically and even struggled at times and laid off 2 or 3 people at one point.

I'd ask what the growth plan is. One of our competitors had 50m in funding and hired ~150 developers and have just been burning through all of their cash because of it and have had layoffs and restructuring of everything below C-level. My company has been growing slowly, hiring maybe 2-3 people per year and spending it in a more methodical way (interesting note, my now-CFO was lower on the finance chain of the startup that burned through 120m 17 years ago and I think he learned first hand what not to do from his bosses back then).

Ask if they are cash flow positive or still relying on VC money? How many rounds of VC money have they taken? If they say something like, "we just closed 50m in funding and we want to bring on a reasonable number of developers, qa, etc. and grow the product" that's probably a good thing. If they say they're plans are to triple the team blindly... maybe that's a red flag.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

How come all these HN or whatever salary threads are full of people making like a quarter million or more in a year and yet actual job listings I see all tend to top out at like 120?

look for the listings that don't list the salary and just say "generous." if you see the salary listed in the job posting it's probably not going to pay well.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be able to predict lifespan/health in any intelligent way. I'm just going to focus on the poo poo that matters to me, and if my parents start giving me poo poo for working at a startup then gently caress em.

You're an adult, this shouldn't matter.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Jose Valasquez posted:

If job postings are just listing salary it isn't taking into account equity and bonuses which probably make up a substantial portion of the $250k people post on HN

Yeah it's probably this. I had a couple years where my base was only like $150k but because of hitting the gold mine on options and stock appreciation my reported IRS income was just shy of $300k. Most established companies will try to target 20-30% of your base in RSUs at time of grant, so that already gets you close to $200k, then with bonus ~15% and good price momentum you're within striking distance of $250k.

You pretty much gotta be in SF or NYC though, and these are senior / highly experienced salary bands, not "first job after by CS bachelors".

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mrmcd posted:

my base was only like $150k

I think my career plateaued at $80k :confuoot:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

rt4 posted:

I think my career plateaued at $80k :confuoot:

Move to NYC or SF/SV, do anything that looks vaguely "back end" (since front end / UI also has a rep for being bad pay).

Also don't work for startups because 9 out of 10 times their equity is garbage.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Also, don't underestimate the selection bias in those threads. The guy making $60k a year isn't going to brag about it on HN

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’ve been involved with 4 start-ups and all of them exited just fine and I made some money.

All of that pales in comparison to RSUs from a big company though. Most exits for employees at start-ups even when they do well are piddly scraps unless you’re within the first 10 employees. Barring home run exits like Dropbox, Facebook, etc start-ups are worse for you financially.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I’ve been involved with 4 start-ups and all of them exited just fine and I made some money.

All of that pales in comparison to RSUs from a big company though. Most exits for employees at start-ups even when they do well are piddly scraps unless you’re within the first 10 employees. Barring home run exits like Dropbox, Facebook, etc start-ups are worse for you financially.

Yeah if you like the startup and what it's doing, and the base let's you live how you want to live, then it's fine. If you're concerned about maximizing earnings for your career though, don't believe the hype about people becoming millionaires, etc.

There's also the anchoring effect, where your next job usually pays (1+X)*$current_pay. Spend too long in low paying industries or cash poor companies and it hurts you over 10+ years.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I find that even though the pay may be worse, most startups at least move faster on things. The year I spent at a financial company (or 10 months actually), they were impressed that I was able to set my environment up and trigger a dummy build in 4 days (which, lol, support desk is the only reason it wasn't done in an hour).

I can't wear business casual ever again, which rules out probably about 40% of NYC due to financial jobs.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I find that even though the pay may be worse, most startups at least move faster on things. The year I spent at a financial company (or 10 months actually), they were impressed that I was able to set my environment up and trigger a dummy build in 4 days (which, lol, support desk is the only reason it wasn't done in an hour).

This is 100% the reason I don't think I could ever work in enterprise software dev. At my last contracting position, to get keycard approval to get into the building took almost a week. Getting on the project's JIRA, same. Getting a company email address, same. Getting invited to project planning meetings with my project manager, same. I think it was probably two months before I was contributing any kind of value whatsoever.

Compared with my first startup job where the CTO handed me a laptop and stuck me in the project manager's office until I had all that stuff, and then took me to lunch. Had my first code contribution that afternoon (fixing a minor typo on the project README, sure, but still).

I just can't with bureaucracy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've worked for Amazon and Google and neither had issues like that. It took them both a little bit to get my workstation hooked up, but I had a working laptop (sufficient to do "real work" with in Google's case) in the meantime and plenty of documentation to review / training videos to watch while I waited.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JawnV6 posted:

"What's your current runway and are there any upcoming funding events?"

First one is roughly how long they'll keep paying you. Second is more open, answers like "lol who would fund this shitheap" would be "bad." If they're between B and C, for example, the next funding event might be tied to an internal goal (we can ask for more money after 50k DAU).

If I remember correctly, they don't currently receive funding. They said that they're operating independently and don't have any owners. That said, it'd be good to get it in writing so I don't completely forget again.

geeves posted:

In my mind, I'm thinking - does this company have the capacity to pay my base salary for at least two years?

I've worked for 3 startups. One that went through 120m in less than a year due to overgrowth and two very small start ups that started with less than 30 people and significantly less money and grew slow and organically and even struggled at times and laid off 2 or 3 people at one point.

I'd ask what the growth plan is. One of our competitors had 50m in funding and hired ~150 developers and have just been burning through all of their cash because of it and have had layoffs and restructuring of everything below C-level. My company has been growing slowly, hiring maybe 2-3 people per year and spending it in a more methodical way (interesting note, my now-CFO was lower on the finance chain of the startup that burned through 120m 17 years ago and I think he learned first hand what not to do from his bosses back then).

Ask if they are cash flow positive or still relying on VC money? How many rounds of VC money have they taken? If they say something like, "we just closed 50m in funding and we want to bring on a reasonable number of developers, qa, etc. and grow the product" that's probably a good thing. If they say they're plans are to triple the team blindly... maybe that's a red flag.

I do not recall exactly if they're cash positive, but I do know the CEO said something amenable to that - poo poo, I should have written this all down when I asked :( And I need to ask about this more for startups. They're still relatively small.

Doh004 posted:

You're an adult, this shouldn't matter.

Oh it only mattered for like five minutes before I started getting introspective. They can think whatever they want, but when the seed of doubt is planted, you get all my lovely posts.

necrobobsledder posted:

Stuff like this is why I only count direct compensation, i.e. salary, as worthwhile. The rest is vague and contingent on stuff going perfectly, whereas with salary I know for drat sure what I'll be getting.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Stuff like this is why I only count direct compensation, i.e. salary, as worthwhile. The rest is vague and contingent on stuff going perfectly, whereas with salary I know for drat sure what I'll be getting.

Your account got hacked, you are never this sensible in your considerations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've worked for Amazon and Google and neither had issues like that. It took them both a little bit to get my workstation hooked up, but I had a working laptop (sufficient to do "real work" with in Google's case) in the meantime and plenty of documentation to review / training videos to watch while I waited.

I might give Google a shot again. I've heard mixed stuff from the three engineers I know there though. A lot of them just keep getting switched around too much to settle and have gotten quite frustrated. Also I interviewed a guy from the NYC office who left because "there were no women on his team" (I poo poo you not) and he had scathing stuff to say (probably got fired obviously). Amazon is opening a huge office in NYC so if there are engineering teams there I'll probably just embrace the evil and interview there as well. Lord knows I get emailed by one of their recruiters once a week. As far as other big companies go, Facebook engineering team seems great but gently caress Facebook. Microsoft is too far away for me to relocate to.

On the flip-side of that, I've grown to like the take-home assignment interview style and would rather do that than gamble on getting another white-boarding question I would have easily been able to solve had the interviewer spoken English. Communication problems in the workplace is obviously a part of working but in an interview it feels unfair to the interviewee.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The process layers in the enterprise are a pain, but there is another side too. Generally, I can receive whatever I need for projects/prototypes. Need 10 VMs to play with? Have them the next day. Full access to an enterprise Azure subscription with no spending limit. No issue with dropping $XX,000 on yearly license fees for development software. Having a low-level issue with Windows? Just call up the assigned Microsoft rep and have him take a look at it. Software vendors taking you out to steak dinners. Etc.

I love the me against the world feeling of early-stage startups too, but there's a certain comfort in a decent-sized company that has enough money to instantly-approve any technology requests that are less than $10K and make payroll on time.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I might give Google a shot again. I've heard mixed stuff from the three engineers I know there though. A lot of them just keep getting switched around too much to settle and have gotten quite frustrated. Also I interviewed a guy from the NYC office who left because "there were no women on his team" (I poo poo you not) and he had scathing stuff to say (probably got fired obviously).

I'm curious as to what he said that have you that impression.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

mrmcd posted:

I'm curious as to what he said that have you that impression.

The other two engineers I know in the NYC Google office make it seem like it's almost impossible to get "fired" and realistically why would you ever voluntarily leave Google besides starting your own company or something? I just assumed his claims of toxicity and disarray were a product of being canned. Not that we held it against him, he was bounced because his assignment submission sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Keetron posted:

Your account got hacked, you are never this sensible in your considerations.

Broken clock etc.