Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byolante posted:

KP is no more a oval office than half the England dressing room and less of one than a quarter.

No way is Pietersen less of a oval office than any of our good English lads. You wouldn't catch him administering 20 of Her Majesty's finest punches to the face of a passing homophobe. He'd probably just call the police, or do something equally cowardly and foreign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

And then he would tweet about it.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Byolante posted:

KP is no more a oval office than half the England dressing room and less of one than a quarter.

absurd statement

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Byolante posted:

He is Shane Warne levels of oval office, without the benefit of having been one of the best bowlers ever ever and having genuinely achieved the status of "National Treasure".

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
He's friends with Piers Morgan which should tell you all you need to know.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

jazzyhattrick posted:

No way is Pietersen less of a oval office than any of our good English lads. You wouldn't catch him administering 20 of Her Majesty's finest punches to the face of a passing homophobe. He'd probably just call the police, or do something equally cowardly and foreign.

As if Pietersen would be caught dead in a nightclub in Bristol. Like he told Hampshire when they asked him if he could possibly take time out of his busy schedule to, you know, actually turn up for the county he was supposed to play for, he lives in Chelsea now don't you know.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Nic maddinsons moustache is worse than warners

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
KP was one of the greatest talents to ever play for England and they fired him for looking out a window

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Seams posted:

KP was one of the greatest talents to ever play for England and they fired him for looking out a window

I don't know what it is about cricket, but there sure is a lot of shafting of good players and persisting with bad ones.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Fanatic posted:

I don't know what it is about cricket, but there sure is a lot of shafting of good players and persisting with bad ones.

"Face does/doesn't fit"
"Father played/didn't play with the Head Selector"
"Good bloke/Top lad"
"Too much/not enough of a oval office"
"Is great at his position, but doesn't swear at the opposition enough."

And those are just the English/Australian reasons.

You want stories of real talent being wasted, imagine all the young Indian players who don't even get considered because they play for the wrong state, or their fathers don't have enough cash to bribe their way onto representative teams.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

BrigadierSensible posted:

"Face does/doesn't fit"
"Good bloke/Top lad"

You want stories of real talent being wasted, imagine all the young Indian players who don't even get considered because they play for the wrong state, or their fathers don't have enough cash to bribe their way onto representative teams.

"Smashing them in the nets mate"

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

BrigadierSensible posted:

"Face does/doesn't fit"
"Good bloke/Top lad"

Back when Ray Illingworth was 'England Cricket Supremo' selecting a new player was as simple as grabbing his lucky pin and the Leeds & Bradford phone book.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Pietersen was a bellend and he wasn't consistently good enough anymore to make it worth putting up with all his poo poo, I'm glad he died.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Apparently Stokes has been filmed doing an impression of Harvey Price, severely disabled son of Katie Price, and has written to them both to apologise as well as giving a statement to that effect. Kamikaze few weeks for the lad career wise.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Apparently Stokes has been filmed doing an impression of Harvey Price, severely disabled son of Katie Price, and has written to them both to apologise as well as giving a statement to that effect. Kamikaze few weeks for the lad career wise.

He's a rich white man, being a prick to disabled people won't set him back at all

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, it might get him invited to high paying political events.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
In Australia he'd get a spot on breakfast TV

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Glen 'people end up disabled because they were bad in a former life' Hoddle has been back working as a football pundit for years now with no comment.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
One of the weirdest examples of team make up being decided by factors outside of how good a player is was Clarke batting Maxwell at three when Alex doolan was dropped in the uae because Steve Smith (who had established himself in the team by this point) didn't swear enough at the Pakistani batsmen in the field.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

biglads posted:

Back when Ray Illingworth was 'England Cricket Supremo' selecting a new player was as simple as grabbing his lucky pin and the Leeds & Bradford phone book.

Replace Leeds with NSW and you have described most of the last 30 years of Australian selections.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

One of the weirdest examples of team make up being decided by factors outside of how good a player is was Clarke batting Maxwell at three when Alex doolan was dropped in the uae because Steve Smith (who had established himself in the team by this point) didn't swear enough at the Pakistani batsmen in the field.

The funniest bit about that was when Smith came out in the newspapers afterwards and said "Nah, I wasn't being friendly, I really was swearing at them Micheal."

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Shmoses posted:

In Australia he'd get a spot on breakfast TV

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Ireland's first test match will be against Pakistan next summer

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
How much will they swear at them?

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Ireland's first test match will be against Pakistan next summer

Eoin Morgan to play test cricket for Ireland??? I really need to stop trying to formulate these theories for the sake of entertainment...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

gregbest90 posted:

Eoin Morgan to play test cricket for Ireland??? I really need to stop trying to formulate these theories for the sake of entertainment...

he'll never get a red ball contract for England so why the hell not. And it also makes sense for teams coming to England to play what they would deem warm up matches against Ireland rather than some lovely three day game against Cambridge University

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought he'd decided he didn't want to play red ball any more anyway.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I think I asked before but can you play different formats for different countries at roughly the same time?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Nope.

Switching to Ireland would require Morgan to give up his ECB central contract which would be a pretty silly financial decision if nothing else. Especially considering that him not playing tests means the ECB let him play as much IPL, Big Bash, Caribbean League etc. as he wants.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Dirk Nannes was an Australian First Class player with some Dutch blood. He ended up playing for Holland at a World Cup or Champions Trophy or something and made a splash. The next year he played a few 20/20 games for Australia.

I don't know how the legalities of that went, if he had to renounce his chance to play for Aus to play for the Netherlands, and then do it again when Aus decided they wanted him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Morgan played some ODIs for Ireland before declaring for England so I'm pretty sure he's not allowed to go back to play for Ireland again.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Boyd Rankin went back to playing for Ireland after playing for England

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

racing identity posted:

Good catch. Really I want to know how the hell he got picked for England, I saw him a few times for Warwickshire and his only skill was being really tall.

e: he played in an Ashes test :wtc:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The International Cricket Council has confirmed plans for a Test championship and one-day international league.

Nine teams will play six series of Test matches over two years - three at home and three away - culminating in a world Test league championship final in 2021.

A 13-team ODI league, introduced from 2021, will now be used to qualify for the World Cup.

The ICC has also given the go-ahead for a trial of four-day Test matches.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21006055/test-odi-leagues-approved-icc-board

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Cool.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

he'll never get a red ball contract for England so why the hell not. And it also makes sense for teams coming to England to play what they would deem warm up matches against Ireland rather than some lovely three day game against Cambridge University

Yep; that and Ireland can finally consistently play teams other than bloody Afghanistan. I think part of their decline has to be attributed to an anaemic schedule. Yes, I get that quite a few folks are retiring. But still....

racing identity posted:

Exactly, he was in 13/14 Ashes squad. Imagine stepping on to play and seeing Rankin, Plunkett and Finn rock up. Utter fuckery.

gregbest90 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 13, 2017

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

gregbest90 posted:

Yep; that and Ireland can finally consistently play teams other than bloody Afghanistan. I think part of their decline has to be attributed to an anaemic schedule. Yes, I get that quite a few folks are retiring. But still....

Exactly, he was in 13/14 Ashes squad. Imagine stepping on to play and seeing Rankin, Plunkett and Finn rock up. Utter fuckery.

Could be worse, what's Saj Mahmood up to nowadays?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

“As soon as you step on that line it’s war,” Warner said on ABC Grandstand. “You try and get into a battle as quick as you can. I try and look in the opposition’s eyes and try and work out ‘how can I dislike this player, how can I get on top of him?’

“You have to delve and dig deep into yourself to actually get some hatred about them to actually get up when you’re out there. History is a big part in this and that is what carries us onto the ground.

Starting to think Warner's not right in the head tbh

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Scylo posted:

Starting to think Warner's not right in the head tbh

He's got to be hosed in the head to think that moustache was a good idea.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

He's got to be hosed in the head to think that moustache was a good idea.

I would have thought that most of the responses to Warner sledges would be "look in the mirror you oval office"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I imagine that Warner is like a dog in that when he sees his reflection he assumes it's a window with some ugly oval office standing behind it.