Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

It doesn't help that the "metro" design language really didn't translate well outside of the Zune player.

the cut off words looked kinda stupid, but the wp7/7.5 variant actually worked really well at the time. the hub concept was pretty functional and the clean/simple live tiles were usable without being cluttered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

actually the reason winpho series 10 phone for windows phone failed is because it doesnt have a keyboard so its not a good email machine

jim balsillie, is that you?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

akadajet posted:

It doesn't help that the "metro" design language really didn't translate well outside of the Zune player.

Remember when Visual Studio started doing all-caps on their menu items because it was "metro"? lol

all office apps do this now and it's really annoying

yea yea you can change it but just lol at having to cj your loving menu bar

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

lmao stebe was right

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

infernal machines posted:

jim balsillie, is that you?

it's jim balsillie and mike lazaridis stacked on top of one another wearing a trenchcoat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

eh?

office 2013 had that, 2016 & the o365 version have normal looking tab names by default tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I cant imagine having the autism levels required to get angry at the all caps menus in vs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

eh?

office 2013 had that, 2016 & the o365 version have normal looking tab names by default tho

hm, we're still stuck with 13 because government lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

it was a cool idea but nobody wanted their apps to integrate w/ it cause that would mean lower BRAND ENGAGEMENT

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

hm, we're still stuck with 13 because government lol

lol, you should be thankful you have 2013

i'm p. sure there's some depts still running 2007/2010

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

it's jim balsillie and mike lazaridis stacked on top of one another wearing a trenchcoat

can you imagine that body in a bathing suit?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

it was a cool idea but nobody wanted their apps to integrate w/ it cause that would mean lower BRAND ENGAGEMENT

20 years after companies stopped using native widgets os vendors still haven't figured this out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

no, it would mean that some arbitrary decision made in a point release of the os could destroy your entire business while a self-contained app would keep working

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah it was that it would only support features users wanted vs features the app wanted like ads or tracking.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

can you imagine that body in a bathing suit?

im still trying to figure out how mike got jim to be the legs in the arrangement

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

looking up to the example set by equifax microsoft decided to also just stop bothering with their flagship product

https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/917885384658481152

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

unofficial microsoft pr company the verge has a sloppy drunk love letter about how win pho was a "glorious failure" that just happens to gloss over the fact that it was half baked when it came out and basically blames google for not making a youtube app and not, say, the three different sets of dev tools and architecture three times in four years with no upgrade path for devices effectively punishing all their early adopters

this has got me thinking. what's the oldest iPhone app that's still supported in the App Store?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

this has got me thinking. what's the oldest iPhone app that's still supported in the App Store?

afaict until ios 11 they had never broken compatibility

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

afaict until ios 11 they had never broken compatibility

not just by apple but by the developer as well. so i guess yeah- now in ios11 what's the oldest app that's been upgraded to 64bit

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

not just by apple but by the developer as well. so i guess yeah- now in ios11 what's the oldest app that's been upgraded to 64bit

i mean, ebay was an app store launch app. i believe evernote was as well

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

well the lack of needed support from developers is kind of important

microsoft abandoned two platforms in three years. meanwhile iOS apps written in 2008 work without modification or recompilation on iOS 10.x devices

that's a major reason iOS is a dominant platform with decade long support histories for individual apps, and winphone is a footnote in history

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well the lack of needed support from developers is kind of important

microsoft abandoned two platforms in three years. meanwhile iOS apps written in 2008 work without modification or recompilation on iOS 10.x devices

that's a major reason iOS is a dominant platform with decade long support histories for individual apps, and winphone is a footnote in history

yeah I know I'm just curious for exactly that reason: it highlights the stark contrast in support between the two platforms. like that old chart that compared iOS vs android and how long each phone was able to remain on the most up to date OS. I think whoever made that chart gave up on refreshing it only halfway into the 4s's life

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

duTrieux. posted:

all they had to do was literally not abandon entire generations of the device twice in a row
why write an app for a platform that doesn't have compatibility between immediately adjacent versions?

nah what they needed was to get in a time machine and undo decades of mismanagement that made most people hate their brand

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

also winpho sucked. it's incredible it has apologists on here. the performance was fine but live tiles sucked horribly

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Boiled Water posted:

i wonder when the surface line of products will be discontinued in favor of almost the same kind of tablets.

have the surfaces even attempted binary compatibility from one version to the next?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

yeah “it’s like android except it costs money and nobody uses it” wasn’t a super good value proposition to companies making like $3/phone, they might have had a chance if it was free for oems from day 1

didn't they also try to use patent license fees on devices running Android to incent OEMs to support their OS? I seem to remember reading somewhere that MS makes more per Android device than Google at initial sale.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

also winpho sucked. it's incredible it has apologists on here. the performance was fine but live tiles sucked horribly

why are you using past tense with live tiles? they are still alive in the world's most advanced hybrid desktop/mobile operating system, windows 10.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Wheany posted:

why are you using past tense with live tiles? they are still alive in the world's most advanced hybrid desktop/mobile operating system, windows 10.

yeah and the first thing anyone does is delete them all. does ANYONE pop open the start menu to check the weather or top tweets or whatever bullshit they're meant for?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

have the surfaces even attempted binary compatibility from one version to the next?

what?

the surfaces pro run x86 natively, the discontinued arm surface models (all two of them) ran arm compiled binaries (with a ms signature) and anything from the app store*

e: *well, anything before ms allowed x86 only software on the app store, iirc, around the time they ditched the arm surface line

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 11, 2017

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Amethyst posted:

The downside to live tiles vs static icons being...?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

live tiles hold the same value as windows 10

free

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol three pages of people debating why windows phone failed and not a single person mentioning the obvious which is that when anyone normal hears the word "windows" they instantly know its a piece of poo poo

the only way it couldve had a chance wouldve been to never associate microsoft or any of its branding with it in any way and sell them as nokias and then theyd still have to not tear down the entire platform twice in three years

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LastInLine posted:

when anyone normal hears the word "windows" they instantly know its a piece of poo poo
windows is pretty much toxic as a consumer brand and has been ever since the malwarepalooza that was early versions of xp followed by the vista and 8 disasters and the fact that windows is synonymous with work which is synonymous with a creaky black plastic laptop that runs like a three legged dog and doesnt connect to webex half the time and you dont bother to fix it because 1) gently caress webex and 2) you dont want to deal with the weird smelling it guy who wears nothing but my little pony shirts to work and giggles to himself

winpho marketing was also p lol. remember the early campaign that was built around how winpho encouraged you not to use your smartphone and that was a good thing?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FMguru posted:

winpho marketing was also p lol. remember the early campaign that was built around how winpho encouraged you not to use your smartphone and that was a good thing?

the marketing boys were right on this one, being glued to your phone is awful

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FMguru posted:

windows is pretty much toxic as a consumer brand and has been ever since the malwarepalooza that was early versions of xp followed by the vista and 8 disasters and the fact that windows is synonymous with work which is synonymous with a creaky black plastic laptop that runs like a three legged dog and doesnt connect to webex half the time and you dont bother to fix it because 1) gently caress webex and 2) you dont want to deal with the weird smelling it guy who wears nothing but my little pony shirts to work and giggles to himself

its exactly this and whats worse microsoft knows that to be the case

remember all the advertising for "yeah we know internet explorer was a terrible shitpile but try it now"? its just like dominos pizza where if the primary thrust of your argument is how lovely you used to be but were better now guess what youre still lovely

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

At least this has taught us there is a limit to how much money MS are willing to pour down a hole when it's not labeled xbox.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Fiedler posted:

The downside to live tiles vs static icons being...?

having them moving is distracting and lovely looking. it's also inconsistent. i know exactly what the news icon looks like on the ios home screen. It could look like anything on winpho

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

FMguru posted:

windows is pretty much toxic as a consumer brand and has been ever since the malwarepalooza that was early versions of xp followed by the vista and 8 disasters and the fact that windows is synonymous with work

people hated Windows well before XP

Windows was always what you got because you couldn't afford a Mac, or because your company was too cheap to outfit you with a Mac, not something you actually chose because you wanted it

the existence of people like Shaggar is a relatively recent phenomenon, they only really started appearing in the wild around 2004 or so, prior to that every last one of them wound up working at MS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
also as soon as microsoft realizes they have something vaguely popular they take the thing and smear it on everything else. that's why they shuffle their brands around. "people like xbox? well, now our failing music service is called xbox! people like skype? well now our failing corporate chat is also called skype!"

see also running the ninja cat unicorn thing into the ground at supersonic speed.