Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

“We played poorly. The first goal was unfortunate, the second was an incredible shot. There is nothing wrong with what we are doing [in US Soccer].”

Aside from not qualifying for the World Cup, we are doing nothing wrong.

:lol: did Arenas really say that? They just got blasted by Trinidad & Tobago.

I guess we can always look forward to the Gold Cup title whenever Mexico sends its B-team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
And just 6 months ago moron ESPN commentators were thrilled to see Arena back.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Simone Poodoin posted:

Holy lol, Chile hosed themselves over

The complaint gave Chile 2 extra points and Peru 3 extra points, in theory if they hadn't done that, they would have finished in the playoff spot.

http://www.espnfc.com/world-cup-qualifying-conmebol/story/3191675/bolivia-lose-appeal-over-ineligible-player-giving-boost-to-chile

Lmao owned

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

There's still hope for you guys, remember that this happened so there's precedent for a replay https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/06/south-africa-senegal-world-cup-qualifier-replayed

FIFA's accountants must be working hard to figure out if it's worth it

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I kinda expected to just laugh at the USMNT's abject failure but I'm kinda sad about. Brazil 2014 started right when I moved to a new city, and I made a bunch of friends at watch parties. Next summer is gonna be a drag.

At least Qatar 2022 will have 48 teams and the USMNT will qualify by topping a group of Bermuda, Turks and Caicos, and Prince Edward Island.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

And just 6 months ago moron ESPN commentators were thrilled to see Arena back.
Because he was the guy who managed the US to the quarterfinals back in the day. Logically, he should have been just fine. However, he's become a complacent, snotty little poo poo as time's gone on.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 11, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Crazy Ted posted:

Because he was the guy who managed the US to the quarterfinals back in the day. Logically, he should have been just fine. At the same time, it he's become a complacent, snotty little poo poo as time's gone on.

I don’t think Bruce Arena has actually coached a game since then.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The US sucks and I'm really upset that I have to agree with Taylor Twellman.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Setting aside whether he was a coach worth keeping, I think Klinsman was right about what America actually needs to be competitive, but US Soccer will never be powerful enough to deliver the youth to pro system he wanted.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 11, 2017

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Nuke the USA

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Setting aside whether he was a coach with keeping, I think Klinsman was right about what America actually needs to be competitive, but US Soccer will never be powerful enough to deliver the youth to pro system he wanted.
Klinsmann may have been right about that, but he was also nuts and his managing helped put the US in this position.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Aggro posted:

At least Qatar 2022 will have 48 teams and the USMNT will qualify by topping a group of Bermuda, Turks and Caicos, and Prince Edward Island.

I think Qatar is still 32 teams.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Niwrad posted:

I think Qatar is still 32 teams.

You're right. So the US will be in 2026 with an automatic bid for hosting a Mickey Mouse tournament that's...16 groups of 3 teams with the top 2 advancing holy poo poo

Honest question: which federation is the biggest failure this cycle? USMNT, Chile, or the Netherlands?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chile. They're the holders of their region's championship two years running, beating Argentina twice.

Holland has been in a serious decline since 2010 and the US just isn't very good.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Aggro posted:

You're right. So the US will be in 2026 with an automatic bid for hosting a Mickey Mouse tournament that's...16 groups of 3 teams with the top 2 advancing holy poo poo

Honest question: which federation is the biggest failure this cycle? USMNT, Chile, or the Netherlands?

Chile, probably. USMNT after that and the Netherlands after that. The Dutch have been a trash fire for three years and had a pretty tough group. USMNT sucked but were in a sucky confederation so no real excuse, and Chile went from being solidly good to bad really fast.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Aggro posted:

The United States because CONCACAF

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Aggro posted:

I kinda expected to just laugh at the USMNT's abject failure but I'm kinda sad about. Brazil 2014 started right when I moved to a new city, and I made a bunch of friends at watch parties. Next summer is gonna be a drag.

loving Americans literally won't even watch a World Cup if their fail team isn't in it. Sad

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RideTheSpiral posted:

loving Americans literally won't even watch a World Cup if their fail team isn't in it. Sad

You're an insanely bad poster, much like myself, but American sport culture is like that.

I'm an outlier so I'll probably watch more matches because the US isn't it so I can just enjoy it instead of having some actual interest in the results.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Shrapnig posted:

You're an insanely bad poster, much like myself, but American sport culture is like that.

I'm an outlier so I'll probably watch more matches because the US isn't it so I can just enjoy it instead of having some actual interest in the results.

Same. I will be watching, and maybe even enjoy it more since I can get the disappointment and embarrassment out of the way now!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

The United States because CONCACAF

Mexico tried very hard to miss the 2014 World Cup but still couldn't do it. The US pulled off that feat.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Crazy Ted posted:

. Logically, he should have been just fine.

maybe if you ignored literally everything about him

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Honestly, not trolling, but world cup viewing parties will be infinitely more tolerable now that the posers or clingers on who barely care won't show up

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Lmao @ US soccer and this thread, though this one was a good one to miss since Russia 2018 will be cancelled when World War III gets underway

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wouldn't the US be the biggest failure because CONCACAF is a joke and all they had to do was draw with Trinidad & Tobago in front of like 50 people and couldn't do it. I mean what would Chile or Netherlands have done in CONCACAF? You think either gets taken to the woodshed by T&T?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Honestly, not trolling, but world cup viewing parties will be infinitely more tolerable now that the posers or clingers on who barely care won't show up
They'll just become posers for other teams.

Niwrad posted:

Wouldn't the US be the biggest failure because CONCACAF is a joke and all they had to do was draw with Trinidad & Tobago in front of like 50 people and couldn't do it. I mean what would Chile or Netherlands have done in CONCACAF? You think either gets taken to the woodshed by T&T?
Trinidad and Tobago was not even using their primary stadium for this game.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

2017... redeemed?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Crazy Ted posted:

Trinidad and Tobago was not even using their primary stadium for this game.

They were using their primary lake.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/917939860434022400

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

If you're 1/64th German, this is your time to shine!

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
i just realized peru scored from an indirect free kick and it only counted because ospina touched it. he should fly straight to london and never go back to colombia.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
if Ireland get through they're gonna have a lot of american fans imho

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

The Ospina mistake isn't a big deal since they made it to the wc anyway

gently caress Chile

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
USMNT LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JFairfax posted:

if Ireland get through they're gonna have a lot of american fans imho

There's even two of them for us to fall back on.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The US loving suck and I'm glad they got knocked out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
doesnt seem fair that america had to play both trinidad and tobago in the same game imo

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

i just saw the video of falcao telling the peruvian players the tie was good for both. now colombia can stop crying about uruguay and argentina doing the same a billion years ago.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://mobile.twitter.com/joboo43/status/917953459525169152

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

imagine if zhou qi played soccer, china would be unstoppable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I'm really happy Landon Donovan was mad about Klinsy.

• Locked thread