Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Holy poo poo, pubg has no netcode? I'm pretty impressed at how well it plays, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cosmicjim posted:

People cheat out of competitive insecurity. They are either competitive but hate losing, or they are competitive and insecure and don't want people to think they aren't good.

Yeah, pretty much this. See also: Elo boosting.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Are these cheaters using throw away accounts and buying the game over and over? It seems so obvious and catchable I don't see how they'd last a day.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

iSheep posted:

We had a cheater the other day nailing my team with perfect headshots with the KarK somehow thru the walls of the apartments near Georgopol from what sounded like the area with the crates on the other side of the river. I think they were trying to hide it afterward intentionally missing shots at us while we ran away (that were somehow still going thru the walls we used as cover) and then finally suiciding outside of the playzone.

Wish there was a report function that didn't involve having to die first.

The one time I got the "don't see buildings" bug I got blood spray when shooting people inside buildings. I don't know if it actually hit them or not though, I got killed pretty soon after because I tried to run and smacked right in to a wall.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ChesterJT posted:

Are these cheaters using throw away accounts and buying the game over and over? It seems so obvious and catchable I don't see how they'd last a day.

Cause the game is broken and in early access

edit: Also they're not stream snipers so they're completely safe

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the hack in that video is apparently €200 + €100/month? I assume these people are budgeting additional copies to play on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wolrah posted:

The one time I got the "don't see buildings" bug I got blood spray when shooting people inside buildings. I don't know if it actually hit them or not though, I got killed pretty soon after because I tried to run and smacked right in to a wall.

Sadly you cannot actually kill somebody shooting through a wall, even with the blood spatters. Somebody must have been incredibly confused in the one game where I got the bug as they ran into a building and somebody immediately emptied a magazine into the wall from the far side.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Bhodi posted:

the hack in that video is apparently €200 + €100/month? I assume these people are budgeting additional copies to play on.

I guess rich people need hobbies too but drat I sure would have countless better things to do with my time and money. Plus like the other goon said you don't really get much satisfaction from it like a typical troll. They're shooting from so far away even if the guy is screaming bloody murder about cheating you wouldn't hear it. Even if you were super competitive I don't see how you would get even a shred of enjoyment out of winning that way.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

ChesterJT posted:

I guess rich people need hobbies too but drat I sure would have countless better things to do with my time and money. Plus like the other goon said you don't really get much satisfaction from it like a typical troll. They're shooting from so far away even if the guy is screaming bloody murder about cheating you wouldn't hear it. Even if you were super competitive I don't see how you would get even a shred of enjoyment out of winning that way.

I think it's about getting onto leaderboards. I've seen people using speedhacks to get out of the blue when they think no one is looking. For every person totally blatantly hacking prob 25 are using them and just trying to win more games.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

tote up a bags posted:

My entire team was eliminated by a hacker called FuckChinaDog69 and PUBG has done nothing to address it

edit: sorry, it was of course fuckchinadog666

Looks like that account has already been VAC banned for something.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The reason why the leaderboard for NA solo is the worst is because it's the first one you see, no matter what. That means highest exposure.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
also NA is highest skilled server, unlike those lowly AS or OC servers.

USA # 1

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

I couldn't tell you how many hackers are in the game. It feels like a good amount, definitely enough to cause frustration. But here's thing thing, you have to understand simple mathematics. If there is a cheater, there is a much larger exposure. This is a game where 100 people play at once, 20-40 will be culled at the beginning, but once that is over and you have a guy making 600m headshots on everyone, you still have 60+ people exposed to that. To compare this to Siege, a game that has 10 people in a match is foolish.

I get what you're trying to say about perceptions of how much cheating is going on being affected by how each cheater in pubg gets a huge amount of exposure just by sheer volume of players per match(as well as affecting more people), but you seem to be glossing over what he was actually saying while not actually making any kind of reasonable point out of it, talking about things that can catch them early like sanity checks on something like running across the map like sonic the loving hedgehog.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

lohli posted:

I get what you're trying to say about perceptions of how much cheating is going on being affected by how each cheater in pubg gets a huge amount of exposure just by sheer volume of players per match(as well as affecting more people), but you seem to be glossing over what he was actually saying while not actually making any kind of reasonable point out of it, talking about things that can catch them early like sanity checks on something like running across the map like sonic the loving hedgehog.

Clearly cheating is not a problem at all. The aforementioned NA solo board is no indicator of that, nor the fact that our next season is being delayed implicitly because of cheaters. I will repeat, cheating is not a problem.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

God I hate how my body betrays me when I play this game, especially solo. As soon as I take fire from an enemy, I reflexively jump. Just now playing solos, I took a shot from a guy over a ridge and when I flinched I also hit tab while also jerking my right hand, so my cursor ended up on an entirely different monitor. I had to realize why tab wouldn't work to close my inventory, get the cursor back to the primary monitor, click the window, then click tab before I could react. Obviously I did not make it out alive.

It was even worse one match two weeks ago. At the start of the match I got into a fight in an ATC. I watch the guy pull a grenade, and I shoot him while his model is holding it up. I calmly walk backwards across the room and wait, since I know it's going to blow up. I'm positive. 100%. 2.5 seconds later it goes off, and I jump so hard my view turns 270 degrees.

What the gently caress.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I'm rather curious as to how these cheats work mechanically? Any programmers/net people out there want to chime in?

Especially the speed-run thing - I know next to nothing about the back-end of things but I'm guessing it's somehow sending the player's position go the server in impossible intervals or something along the lines?
I don't even know what is calculated client-side and what the server handles in PUBG so it's just me speculating.

I remember running into this kind of thing in DayZ and other Arma-mod type games, especially the speed-hackery.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

The Wonder Weapon posted:

God I hate how my body betrays me when I play this game, especially solo. As soon as I take fire from an enemy, I reflexively jump. Just now playing solos, I took a shot from a guy over a ridge and when I flinched I also hit tab while also jerking my right hand, so my cursor ended up on an entirely different monitor. I had to realize why tab wouldn't work to close my inventory, get the cursor back to the primary monitor, click the window, then click tab before I could react. Obviously I did not make it out alive.

It was even worse one match two weeks ago. At the start of the match I got into a fight in an ATC. I watch the guy pull a grenade, and I shoot him while his model is holding it up. I calmly walk backwards across the room and wait, since I know it's going to blow up. I'm positive. 100%. 2.5 seconds later it goes off, and I jump so hard my view turns 270 degrees.

What the gently caress.

ask your doctor for a xanax prescription so you can play video games. half a tab should get you through a day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How long have you been playing? I was like that when I started. Dropping school a bunch broke me of the habit.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What the gently caress.

Stop watching anime on your second monitor and shut it off. Focus. You are going to get shot, or at least shot at. Now that you are focused and understand you'll get shot, try to work on moving, even just a little bit whenever you think you can be shot. You can almost always be shot, so unless you're hiding in a wheat field near the end or something, always be jiggling.

Maybe, pick up a sport. Something with balls, perhaps.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

underage at the vape shop posted:

"Ping locking" or region locking or whatever would be garbage. If you think pings making you lose you are making excuses for being poo poo

imagine being this retarded for real

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Clearly cheating is not a problem at all. The aforementioned NA solo board is no indicator of that, nor the fact that our next season is being delayed implicitly because of cheaters. I will repeat, cheating is not a problem.

Is what you think people have actually been saying?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

SealHammer posted:

but ping locking doesnt help you in counterstrike why would it help you here :allears:

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DarkDobe posted:

I'm rather curious as to how these cheats work mechanically? Any programmers/net people out there want to chime in?

Especially the speed-run thing - I know next to nothing about the back-end of things but I'm guessing it's somehow sending the player's position go the server in impossible intervals or something along the lines?
I don't even know what is calculated client-side and what the server handles in PUBG so it's just me speculating.

I remember running into this kind of thing in DayZ and other Arma-mod type games, especially the speed-hackery.

Basically the player position is calculated locally and sent to the server. This reduces the load on the server, but allows speedhacking. I remember in one of the battlefield games ALL player positions were calculated locally, so there was a hack where you can reposition the enemy players where your gun was pointing and kill everyone with a rocket.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

qkkl posted:

Basically the player position is calculated locally and sent to the server. This reduces the load on the server, but allows speedhacking. I remember in one of the battlefield games ALL player positions were calculated locally, so there was a hack where you can reposition the enemy players where your gun was pointing and kill everyone with a rocket.

That.. sounds.. incredible.

Is there no server side check to see 'oh hey this guy has moved impossibly far - fix it'? Or is that already too much work?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

qkkl posted:

I recall there was something about being killed with knives from across the map too.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

DarkDobe posted:

That.. sounds.. incredible.

Is there no server side check to see 'oh hey this guy has moved impossibly far - fix it'? Or is that already too much work?

It's always a balance with performance

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
As a European, I like being able to play with friends from the US and also I enjoy the off-chance I run into well-known people in my solo games and most of these people are Americans and also the same is true for seeing my name on the leaderboards among players I recognize so I would like for region locking not to become a thing

not a stream sniper btw

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SealHammer posted:

playing against high ping opponents isn't the reason you die. it's because you suck at the game

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

DarkDobe posted:

It seems really straightforward to do this in realtime, but it's deceptively hard and has a lot of interesting challenges/pitfalls/side effects.

I don't think Bluehole is even at a point where they are able to record reproducable demos of the game state, which is the first step in even being able to analyze replays and identify blatant cheating. It's telling that they are seemingly reliant on video evidence/personal emails/witch hunts.

I have a hard time holding this against them, even if you strip out all of the voice data, those demos are still going to take up a considerable amount of space. They're outpacing the supply of physical servers in multiple regions just hosting the games. I think we might get there eventually with local demos, I do wonder how long this game will stick around for

For as janky/unreliable as the servers can be, it's nice that I've never had to wait in a queue to log in

Fingers crossed that we see a massive loving ban wave before this next season, the populace thirsts for blood

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Isn't Bluehole using AWS?

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

but ping locking doesnt help you in counterstrike why would it help you here :allears:

except that it does???

underage at the vape shop posted:

playing against high ping opponents isn't the reason you die. it's because you suck at the game

higher interp values mean people with higher ping always have a pronounced peeking advantage over you. this is also the case with trading rounds as far as I know -- the server sides with the higher-ping player within that interp window.

e: this is like netcode 101

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 11, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
yeah they appear after they've moved on your screen and you appear after you've moved on their screen. trading blows favours the lower ping person every single time but you should be avoiding that as much as possible anyway.

high ping only matters early, where it's a massive disadvantage for the dude with it because doors are slow and shotguns are even gumbier than normal.

E: I can start saving all the clips where i get shot around corners and shotgun hits take 1s+ to register if you like? High ping players are not making you lose, if you think that, you are making excuses for being poo poo at pubg and going full confirmation bias. If high ping is such a big advantage in games, then why do esports players move to the city the servers are hosted in?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 11, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't Bluehole using AWS?

they've outpaced AWS' supply in some regions

turns out the cloud is not literally magic and is still backed by physical servers

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Region locking would own, sorry Australia.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Chinese Shroud Impersonator with a sick 360 to getting shot in the head https://clips.twitch.tv/AthleticAwkwardTroutRickroll

E: Don't Hide Behind You're Boat

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 11, 2017

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
So my lovely ping is to my advantage? gently caress yea thanks Idaho and your crappy infrastructure.

Makes, sense as I can flush out campers on the regular. Get hosed you basic bathroom bitches

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

SealHammer posted:

except that it does???

higher interp values mean people with higher ping always have a pronounced peeking advantage over you. this is also the case with trading rounds as far as I know -- the server sides with the higher-ping player within that interp window.

e: this is like netcode 101

High ping is never an advantage in CS:GO, neither when holding an angle NOR peeking. Even though while peeking with high ping it would seem that you get an advantage you don't due to the interpolation. You don't however get a disadvantage either. For example in an awp vs awp situation, If you didn't beat the other player it could still look like you got your shot off on you end but it won't register since you were already dead according to the server.
There was a great video showing this but I can't seem to find it.

However, I have no clue if PUBG's netcode allows for a high ping advantage when peeking.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
it's not an advantage when peeking at a guy looking right at you, but if you catch somebody off guard, you get to put a couple more shots into them before they can react on your screen, and all those shots count even though they ran behind a wall after the first shot on their screen. that's pretty huge since it happens all the time in pubg.

everybody else can do the same to you of course so it's not an absolute advantage.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Zo posted:

it's not an advantage when peeking at a guy looking right at you, but if you catch somebody off guard, you get to put a couple more shots into them before they can react on your screen, and all those shots count even though they ran behind a wall after the first shot on their screen. that's pretty huge since it happens all the time in pubg.

everybody else can do the same to you of course so it's not an absolute advantage.

PUBG using client side hit detection probably makes this worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

PUBG using client side hit detection probably makes this worse.

most shooters use client side hit detection, and pubg would be unplayable with server side hit detection

cs:go uses hitscan weapons at close range with very few players, low pings and way higher tick rate, and still bullets will disappear on a regular basis due to server/client desync

edit: you're correct in that high ping advantage is basically not existent in server side hit detection games like cs:go though

Zo fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 11, 2017

• Locked thread