Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah I see what you guys are talking about with the nightmare. Gotta say I'm not a fan of how that works and how it messes with the already weak stealth system. Between the combat and the stealth it makes me wonder just how badly you could gently caress up everything but the RPG mechanics and exploration and still have this kind of game work. Cause I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. But drat it does not do itself many favours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

Samus Returns you added an actual boss other than the final boss, so congrats on possibly the worst boss in the franchise* and Im counting metroid pinball here. You took the tedium of “if you dont counter the fight is extremely long” from the earlier fights but said gently caress it to the counter part and just made it boringly long.

No Mercury Stream, a boss should not do three different attacks only one of which it can be hurt during which unlocks another mechanic which if you botch you have to sit through the attacks again. If this how you make the boss, sure as heck dont make it three phases long where in the final phase you have to cycle through its pattern of 3 attacks multiple times because you cant deal enough damage to push it out of the cycle in one rotation. Worse yet, dont make it so its very, very likely the player wont finish off the boss even if they do this requiring the player to sit through a minimum of 6 more unchanged attack patterns just for another shot at killing the boss.

Did I mention the hit box is very touchy and doesnt align to when the electricty is off/the pieces stop moving and if you get hit it pushes you out of the area to hit the boss so back to waiting through its attacks.

*I am not counting Other M’s notorious find the pixel boss because thats a puzzle not a fight.
Metroid Pinball owned, actually. The tables were a little simpler than I like but it was a fun game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Age of Wonders 3: The maps in the campaign are great, they're full of neat stuff you can find on the side to help you out. The game however really isn't meant to warrant much exploration, the AI is building up deathstacks to send straight to your cities and if you aren't blitzing them they'll eventually build up entire stacks full of tier 3/4 units and its a complete slog to duke it out with them.

If there was a mod that slaps a limit on tier 3/4 units I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

rodbeard posted:

The series changed writers at some point and the current writers are basically dead set against you playing the new games the way you were supposed to play the older games.
Maybe? I dunno.

One of the dudes that wrote Bully went to work on Sleeping Dogs
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm8348066/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

The 3/Vice/SA writer went on to write stuff for Forza Horizon 1, The Crew and Need For Speed 2015 :psyduck:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1106693/

The 4/5 writer also wrote RDR, Lost and the Dammed and Ballad of Gay Tony.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2998259/

The constant other writer through all those games is of course Dan Houser :shrug: Maybe Houser is just going off the deep end?
I'll go on to say that both of the GTA4 expansion packs got the balance of character and violence right. Johnny has biker poo poo to get done, and if that involves shooting someone.
For Luis, most of the gun fights and poo poo he gets into is apart of the job when dealing with the poo poo Tony gets into.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

With mention of GTA, thing eternally dragging down V is still that they were stupid and ruined/wasted Johnny and The Lost in a setting where biker poo poo would've actually been awesome.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FactsAreUseless posted:

Metroid Pinball owned, actually. The tables were a little simpler than I like but it was a fun game.

Metroid Pinball on a Gameboy DS with a rumble pack.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

With mention of GTA, thing eternally dragging down V is still that they were stupid and ruined/wasted Johnny and The Lost in a setting where biker poo poo would've actually been awesome.

It's such a naked "haha man check out how hosed up and twisted our NEW character is, he takes out the previous biggest badass of the series like it was nothin!" moment. If the point was to get me to think trevor is a huge badass it missed the mark entirely

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reminds me of the first Draft of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West where the writers initially tried to get across how badass Monkey was by having him throw a random slave off a ledge for no reason, and the actual writer that they brought in had that taken out, because he figured it did nothing more than make Monkey look like "a bit of a oval office"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me of the first Draft of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West where the writers initially tried to get across how badass Monkey was by having him throw a random slave off a ledge for no reason, and the actual writer that they brought in had that taken out, because he figured it did nothing more than make Monkey look like "a bit of a oval office"

People constantly bringing this up as a slight against Ninja Theory is so weird because that is literally the entire point of writing a first draft, to just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

People constantly bringing this up as a slight against Ninja Theory is so weird because that is literally the entire point of writing a first draft, to just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Because this kind of thing is so consistent in ninja theory games that they don't appear to have ever learned a single thing from the multitude of times they've had scenes removed because they constantly write characters to be as douchy as possible.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I don't think two games counts as consistent.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I haven't played a AAA game for a long time, and a friend steam shared RE7 at me and...
Where the hell is the rest of the game? I thought I'd get to play as Zoe, or Mia, or Chris or Lucas or... Or maybe a mercenary mode? Time attack? Something? It's just a few difficulty modes and nothing else.

Is this the new normal?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nuebot posted:

they don't appear to have ever learned a single thing

I see you haven't played Hellblade.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

No, I played their previous games and they did not inspire much confidence in me to purchase another of their products. Much like how I won't buy witcher 3 despite the insistence that it's "the best game ever!" Because I thought the first one was garbage.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Much like how I won't buy witcher 3 despite the insistence that it's "the best game ever!" Because I thought the first one was garbage.

The first and third are incredibly different games :psyduck:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Much like how I won't buy witcher 3 despite the insistence that it's "the best game ever!" Because I thought the first one was garbage.

It's your money, but your reasoning is flawed. I love the Dragon Quest series, and the DS/3DS remakes are some of the most fun I've had with JRPGs, period. But I realize the first three on the NES could be considered "garbage" by today's standards, and almost everybody who loves Witcher 3 is unanimous in saying skip the first one.

e: what he said

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

It's your money, but your reasoning is flawed. I love the Dragon Quest series, and the DS/3DS remakes are some of the most fun I've had with JRPGs, period. But I realize the first three on the NES could be considered "garbage" by today's standards, and almost everybody who loves Witcher 3 is unanimous in saying skip the first one.

e: what he said

I played the first Dragon Warrior games on the gameboy color and they cemented me on the series for life :shrug: I can barely finish the tutorial for The Witcher so I don't feel like buying more games by the same people is an especially great idea.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I feel the same way, everyone keeps talking about how great Skyrim is but Elder Scrolls 1: Arena is such loving garbage I can't see how anyone would want to play more games by the same people.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Futuresight posted:

Yeah I see what you guys are talking about with the nightmare. Gotta say I'm not a fan of how that works and how it messes with the already weak stealth system. Between the combat and the stealth it makes me wonder just how badly you could gently caress up everything but the RPG mechanics and exploration and still have this kind of game work. Cause I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. But drat it does not do itself many favours.

Why are you stealthing? Murder everything with a shotgun

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Because this kind of thing is so consistent in ninja theory games that they don't appear to have ever learned a single thing from the multitude of times they've had scenes removed because they constantly write characters to be as douchy as possible.

Also that whole game is based on Journey To The West, and Monkey is Son Goku. Who in the story is indeed kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Slime posted:

Also that whole game is based on Journey To The West, and Monkey is Son Goku. Who in the story is indeed kind of an rear end in a top hat.

I haven't finished Enslaved - speaking of things to drag a game down, there's a level with switches and crates and trolleys and ugh gently caress that noise - but yeah, I like the characters in that game. The voice acting and body language in the cut scenes is quite good and you really get a sense of Monkey and Trip growing to legitimately care about each other as opposed to hostile, mutual-benefit toleration.

Nuebot posted:

I played the first Dragon Warrior games on the gameboy color and they cemented me on the series for life :shrug: I can barely finish the tutorial for The Witcher so I don't feel like buying more games by the same people is an especially great idea.

Oh, see, I thought you played through Witcher 1 and hated it, and that's why you weren't into the idea of sequels; if the tutorial for a game ends up making you think you've bought garbage, then I get you. And maybe that gameplay style isn't for you, especially if you love JRPGs!

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Oct 11, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Yardbomb posted:

The first and third are incredibly different games :psyduck:

I've been in a similar dilemma for a while now, and I do have to say Witcher 1 really does stand on its writing. I've been having a hard time getting into it, but Geralt randomly hitting on, getting brutally rejected, and then saving the life of a random barmaid is when I realized it's a great game that I haven't had the time for yet.

When it nails it, it nails it, it's just a shame that huge portions of the experience are so clunky.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Post poste posted:

I haven't played a AAA game for a long time, and a friend steam shared RE7 at me and...
Where the hell is the rest of the game? I thought I'd get to play as Zoe, or Mia, or Chris or Lucas or... Or maybe a mercenary mode? Time attack? Something? It's just a few difficulty modes and nothing else.

Is this the new normal?

You do get to play as Mia though?
But everything else is dlc now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dewgy posted:

I've been in a similar dilemma for a while now, and I do have to say Witcher 1 really does stand on its writing. I've been having a hard time getting into it, but Geralt randomly hitting on, getting brutally rejected, and then saving the life of a random barmaid is when I realized it's a great game that I haven't had the time for yet.

When it nails it, it nails it, it's just a shame that huge portions of the experience are so clunky.

Pretty much yeah, Witcher 1's gameplay is doable but also way too rough to say it's any good, the entire value of the first is in hoofing it through to get the stories.

Witcher 2 is a huge jump up from 1 and perfectly fine though, while you could be okay passing up 1, the people who skip 2 from buying into the "Just go straight to 3!" stuff are who I feel bad for, game's great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Honestly I wasn't impressed with Hellblade's writing and nothing else about the game was good either so I quit after the Surtr fight

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

scarycave posted:

You do get to play as Mia though?
But everything else is dlc now.

I meant as a whole separate thing, like story A / B in Nemesis...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pastry of the Year posted:

I haven't finished Enslaved - speaking of things to drag a game down, there's a level with switches and crates and trolleys and ugh gently caress that noise - but yeah, I like the characters in that game. The voice acting and body language in the cut scenes is quite good and you really get a sense of Monkey and Trip growing to legitimately care about each other as opposed to hostile, mutual-benefit toleration.

Enslaved is a really interesting and awesome looking game that's weighed down by the gameplay because Ninja Theory aren't good at making shallow God of War clones.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Oct 11, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Honestly I wasn't impressed with Hellblade's writing and nothing else about the game was good either so I quit after the Surtr fight

The chorus of voices putting you down or occasionally cheering you on is just fantastic. But the two narrators (which is a form of psychosis I wasn't aware of, so I've learnt something at least) are much less effective.

The game feels very stodgy, it's too linear and tightly curated for the sudden shouts of "idiot useless she's going to die" to have much impact.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much yeah, Witcher 1's gameplay is doable but also way too rough to say it's any good, the entire value of the first is in hoofing it through to get the stories.

Witcher 2 is a huge jump up from 1 and perfectly fine though, while you could be okay passing up 1, the people who skip 2 from buying into the "Just go straight to 3!" stuff are who I feel bad for, game's great.

I had a rant in this thread about Witcher 1 being bad, and to be honest it still is, but I ended up powering through recently with the assistance of a mod that stacks items up to 999 and it made the game much, much better from a gameplay standpoint. Granted, the maps are still too big and the combat is still too weird and the font is still too small, but I did get through it and move immediately to Witcher 2 which fixes literally every problem I had with the first game and is really good.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Witcher 1 in quite a few ways feels almost like an experimental test run. Many mechanics are sort of half-baked and a whole lot of things are pretty rough. Even the plot is in major parts a fanfiction-level retelling of stories in the books. And then you get to part 2 and it's such a massive leap in ambition and quality in almost every aspect that it's almost hard to believe it's even the same series.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Perestroika posted:

Witcher 1 in quite a few ways feels almost like an experimental test run. Many mechanics are sort of half-baked and a whole lot of things are pretty rough. Even the plot is in major parts a fanfiction-level retelling of stories in the books. And then you get to part 2 and it's such a massive leap in ambition and quality in almost every aspect that it's almost hard to believe it's even the same series.

That's because it was. They used Neverwinter Nights 3 engine and basically glued the game together with sticks and tape. The development was pretty turbulent and afaik it was the second or even third attempt at making a Witcher game (Adrian Chmielarz of Bulletstorm fame was working on it at one point).

Witcher 2 is the point when they had the money, time and the technology to make their own game and it shows.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Terminally Bored posted:

That's because it was. They used Neverwinter Nights 3 engine and basically glued the game together with sticks and tape. The development was pretty turbulent and afaik it was the second or even third attempt at making a Witcher game (Adrian Chmielarz of Bulletstorm fame was working on it at one point).

Witcher 2 is the point when they had the money, time and the technology to make their own game and it shows.

The Aurora engine wasn't designed for a game of the Witchers scale. It barely can handle a game of NWN's scale.

Geez, the aurora engine wasn't that flash now that I think of it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Testekill posted:

The Aurora engine wasn't designed for a game of the Witchers scale. It barely can handle a game of NWN's scale.

Geez, the aurora engine wasn't that flash now that I think of it.

They rewrote about 90% of the engine to make it look and work like it does. It wasn't suitable for Witcher like game at all like you said but it was cheapest offer they could get for their tiny budget AAA wannabe game. They only got it for that cheap because CD Projekt had published Bethesda games very successfully in Poland before so they were in very good relationship.

If you have two hours to spare and are interested in how CD Projekt Red came to be and how Witcher 1 development went there's this Polish documentary about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g18GgD-SNzM
Just turn on subtitles.

Sininu has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Oct 11, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

I feel the same way, everyone keeps talking about how great Skyrim is but Elder Scrolls 1: Arena is such loving garbage I can't see how anyone would want to play more games by the same people.

I suspect a lot of people only got into TES with Morrowind, which -- super janky combat aside -- is great.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So by now the RED Engine must have at most, 1% of the original code of the Aurora Engine.

Something that bugged about the Witcher 3's combat is that you always fight groups, so I never got to use intricate moves like parrying and riposting. That and the sheer amount of pointless loot. I never use 90 percent of the consumables I find in a Souls game but they all do something, and there's a wide array of different builds that could utilize all of them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Superstar Saga+Bowser's Minions: They brought over the sequel feature of doing two attacks everytime you jump on an enemy and I'm pretty sure that they bumped up everyone's health or something to compensate because I've yet to kill something on the first jump. Also running is an instant success so if you hit it on accident then you're getting out of there with no chance to back out. On the plus side, you don't lose coins anymore while you're doing it.

Also I don't like the way they've organized skills now. You've gotta hit L and R to swap back and forth but it's basically just in a line so if you wanna spin jump hit L twice or R once. But then you learn something new and that means hit R twice now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ToxicFrog posted:

I suspect a lot of people only got into TES with Morrowind, which -- super janky combat aside -- is great.

And Morrowind came out exactly as many years from TES1 as The Witcher 3 did from The Witcher 1, how appropriate for the point I was trying to make that you seem to have glossed over.

Companies get better at making games as time goes on and they have more experience and better tools, who could have guessed.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I played through Witcher 1 (the super-enhanced edition that had all the fixes in it) three times over the course of a couple of years It was a great game with a story unlike any I had seen (because I'm an American who never travels out of the country). It introduced me to a whole set of mythology I didn't know existed. It was novel, new, and interesting. And the twist that Raymond was dead pretty much the whole time was unexpected and well-done.

I tried playing Witcher 2. I had trouble getting past the tutorial. The controls were so different and I couldn't get the hang of them. Also, the graphics were just bad on my system (which was old to be sure). I couldn't see the enemies because they blended in to the environment. I couldn't get myself facing the right direction. I couldn't get parrying or whatever they called it to work consistently. I even bought a controller to see if that helped and it didn't really.
I never finished it. I did make it out of the tutorial by finding a way to skip it, but the other issues remained and I eventually just gave up. There was this giant spider that killed me every time I found it, for example. I was just bad at the game in a way that didn't come up in the first one.

I never bothered with Witcher 3.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Aleph Null posted:

I played through Witcher 1 (the super-enhanced edition that had all the fixes in it) three times over the course of a couple of years It was a great game with a story unlike any I had seen (because I'm an American who never travels out of the country). It introduced me to a whole set of mythology I didn't know existed. It was novel, new, and interesting. And the twist that Raymond was dead pretty much the whole time was unexpected and well-done.

I tried playing Witcher 2. I had trouble getting past the tutorial. The controls were so different and I couldn't get the hang of them. Also, the graphics were just bad on my system (which was old to be sure). I couldn't see the enemies because they blended in to the environment. I couldn't get myself facing the right direction. I couldn't get parrying or whatever they called it to work consistently. I even bought a controller to see if that helped and it didn't really.
I never finished it. I did make it out of the tutorial by finding a way to skip it, but the other issues remained and I eventually just gave up. There was this giant spider that killed me every time I found it, for example. I was just bad at the game in a way that didn't come up in the first one.

I never bothered with Witcher 3.

All the environments in 3 are super bright and clear save for the customary spooky swamps and creepy towers but even then the enemies are distinctly colored or glow because they are ghosts
Control is still awkward though because terrain is very uneven and Geralt has crystal knees so he dies from a three foot fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Calaveron posted:

All the environments in 3 are super bright and clear save for the customary spooky swamps and creepy towers but even then the enemies are distinctly colored or glow because they are ghosts
Control is still awkward though because terrain is very uneven and Geralt has crystal knees so he dies from a three foot fall

Geralt's glass knees have been fixed, at least.