Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Faulty logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Vaguely related, I had someone pick me up a bottle of Malort from Chicago. The flavor reminds me of the unholy offspring of campari and a gin haters nightmare remembrance of what a really bad gin tasted like, with a slight bandaid aftertaste. So it has potential.

I'm not really a gin or campari person, so any suggestions on how to zazz this up a bit when I'm not making friends do shots of it for the giggles?

The first few times you try some it really does just sit in your stomach like a stone and you can't taste anything else for the rest of the night. It's really grown on me after a while though, my roommates and I go through a bottle every couple of months or so.

A lot of places around town have it as just a standard "beer and a shot" special with an Old Style or dropped into a Stiegl Radler / grapefruit juice. Also have seen it as a gin replacement or supplement (which doesn't help much if you're not really a gin person), in negroni variations or mixed with elderflower and gin. I honestly can not think of the last time I had it in a cocktail, most of the time it's just for sipping straight and the rest is to force people to take disgusting shots so that might be your best bet.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Someone recommend me a good Scotch-based punch for the weekend. Highland Games are about to go down and I'll be taking the family. Need something for afters. :tinsley:

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
While we're on the subject of recommendations, can any suggest good cocktail bars in Savannah, GA?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Decided to just go for a cold whiskey punch as featured in Wondrich's book. Used The Glenlivet Nadurra 16 because I can and it's currently in the fridge to cool. Now to decide what whiskey is going in the quaich for a toast before the punch is ready.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Klauser posted:

While we're on the subject of recommendations, can any suggest good cocktail bars in Savannah, GA?

Alleycat Lounge and the Artillery are the two I would recommend. Also, the bar at the Andaz Hotel.

Best bar in the city, however: http://www.theoriginalsavannah.com/menu - classic dive bar, batch cocktails, good music, new sandwich shop next door.

beefnchedda fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 16, 2017

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Anybody ever made an oleosaccharum and then bruleed it before turning it into syrup?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I think it might do unpleasant things, but give it a shot for science and let us know what happens!( Now I wanna try lemon with dem and torch it)

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I'd suggest, instead of ruining a perfectly good oleo (it probably wouldn't brule at all because of all of the moisture, and would just be gross) you make an oleo using toasted sugar.
http://www.seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/05/dry-toasted-sugar-granulated-caramel-recipe.html

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm using lightly caramelized sugar which then goes into a syrup for a menu drink right now. There is no reason the same technique wouldn't work with an oleo. You need moisture to properly caramelize sugar anyways.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I did think about doing it in a hotel pan and throwing it in the oven instead of torching it. I'll try both.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I just caramelize the sugar before adding the water for my syrup, no need to add in a baking process. Just be mindful of your pot when making simple syrup.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Just picked up a couple bottles of eau de vie; one from pear the other from cherry. Anyone have suggestions for mixes?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone able to point me to a good tonic recipe? Specifically something that gets close to Fever Tree, specifically the Indian variety.

Also fruit brandies are really neat and cool when made well. Specifically ones that are made with ingredient lists that look like "fruit, yeast, water". Can anyone recommend any? A distiller near me has a few, but production is too low for retail and they are only selling it to bars/restaurants.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
C. S. Massenez is pretty widely renowned as the best fruit brandy producer in France. We carry their Mirabelle yellow plum brandy and it is some pretty wild poo poo.

And to relate an anecdote surprisingly germane to the previous question, at the restaurant I work at we had a guest request a French 75 made with unflavored brandy instead of gin. We don't carry eau de vie (because who the gently caress even does), so we recommended the Mirabelle and they were pretty pleased. Lokee, try that with your eau de vie. A Last Word would be cool too.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Sextro posted:

Anyone able to point me to a good tonic recipe? Specifically something that gets close to Fever Tree, specifically the Indian variety.

Also fruit brandies are really neat and cool when made well. Specifically ones that are made with ingredient lists that look like "fruit, yeast, water". Can anyone recommend any? A distiller near me has a few, but production is too low for retail and they are only selling it to bars/restaurants.

Where are you located? I would try to find something local - is there only one distillery near you? Over here on the west coast, St. George in Alameda, CA made their name making eaux de vie (and I don't think I've ever had a product of theirs I didn't enjoy - from absinthe to malt whiskey to coffee liqueur to gin). Same with Clear Creek in Oregon. Their 2 yr apple brandy is cheap enough to mix with but they have high end stuff as well. New Jersey based (I think) Laird's bottled in bond apple brandy is also fantastic.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Maestro posted:

Where are you located? I would try to find something local - is there only one distillery near you? Over here on the west coast, St. George in Alameda, CA made their name making eaux de vie (and I don't think I've ever had a product of theirs I didn't enjoy - from absinthe to malt whiskey to coffee liqueur to gin). Same with Clear Creek in Oregon. Their 2 yr apple brandy is cheap enough to mix with but they have high end stuff as well. New Jersey based (I think) Laird's bottled in bond apple brandy is also fantastic.

Unfortunately Laird's Apple Jack is exactly the sorta thing I'm annoyed by. It's mostly neutral grain spirit with a bit of apple brandy mixed in. 65%/35% iirc. I'm not certain about their 100 proof, but I'm pretty sure it's no longer bonded so it could also be diluted with neutral grain as well.

E: local to me there's 2 distilleries I know of doing it right though. One does a traditional apple jack, Eight Oaks. And the other is Boardroom Spirits, who only did a small run of three fruit brandies. Red delicious, Bartlett pear and bosc pear. I've tasted all of them and they're what got me onto this quest. But per the reps I spoke to the only bottles are being sold to limited selection of bars because the rest is going into barrels for 5 years.

Double edit: Laird's guy crazy fast on the email. They dropped the bonded because it's now a blend of different ages, but if their product says straight it's only apple brandy without any neutral grain. Too bad I live in PA and the straight labels are special order only in the state stores.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 11, 2017

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sextro posted:

Unfortunately Laird's Apple Jack is exactly the sorta thing I'm annoyed by. It's mostly neutral grain spirit with a bit of apple brandy mixed in. 65%/35% iirc. I'm not certain about their 100 proof, but I'm pretty sure it's no longer bonded so it could also be diluted with neutral grain as well.

E: local to me there's 2 distilleries I know of doing it right though. One does a traditional apple jack, Eight Oaks. And the other is Boardroom Spirits, who only did a small run of three fruit brandies. Red delicious, Bartlett pear and bosc pear. I've tasted all of them and they're what got me onto this quest. But per the reps I spoke to the only bottles are being sold to limited selection of bars because the rest is going into barrels for 5 years.

Double edit: Laird's guy crazy fast on the email. They dropped the bonded because it's now a blend of different ages, but if their product says straight it's only apple brandy without any neutral grain. Too bad I live in PA and the straight labels are special order only in the state stores.

Apple Jack is flavored Neutral Grain Spirit

Laird's 7 1/2 year, 86*, 100*, and 12 year are all 100% apple brandies.

E: I find Clear Creek's Apple Brandies to be pretty mediocre, especially the 2 year. The 8 year you could make a case for, but I just don't find it to be really engaging.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 11, 2017

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I did just read that Lairds released a limited bottling, Laird's 86, that is 100% apple. My rep for applejack didn't have it though.

I agree with all of the above. The clear creek is pretty mild, but mixes ok. Pretty much everything else they make is too expensive.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Sextro posted:

They dropped the bonded? I gotta go buy several bottles in case the age-blended 100 proof isn't as good; the bonded is absolutely fantastic.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Scythe posted:

They dropped the bonded? I gotta go buy several bottles in case the age-blended 100 proof isn't as good; the bonded is absolutely fantastic.

Better hit eBay dude they dropped it a long rear end time ago. It hasn't been on shelves in ages.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
The straight is still delicious, no worries.

Had a guest bring a bottle of the EMP private label to one of my birthday parties. Apparently I carried it like a beer well into my early nap time.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

Eau de Vie update:

Artisan LTD.:
1.5oz Cherry Eau de Vie
.75oz Blueberry Shrub (this poo poo is so easy to make how ahve I not been doing this I cant even-)
1/2 Lemon, squeezed
Enough Rosemary to cover the bottom of a mixing glass w/ Simple Syrup, muddled.

e- almost forgot:
2dshs Vanilla Extract
2-4dshs Regan's #6

stir+strain

Lokee fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 15, 2017

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Calling all punch wizards.

Planning a summer party/wedding reception for next year with 100 guests, most will be drinking. I want to serve 2 punches. I'm all but sold on the Admiral Russel's Punch for one, and torn between doing either a gin based or rum based punch for the other. We could also do the USS Richmond Punch for one because it'll be nice to serve something sparkling and then something else (lighter?) for the other.

This will be a 10 hour party, and we're thinking of doing the punches as a welcome drink. My initial thought is to do 8 litres of each punch for a total of 16 litres. Does that sound about right?

Any thoughts on a good combination of 2 punches? This will be an afternoon in June in London if that matters.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

Sextro posted:

I use a variation on David Lebovitz's recipe. Make sure you buy the bark, not powdered as filtration is a bitch. Also consider investing in some pectic enzyme to get your mixture a bit less opaque looking, remember that quinine can be harmful in large quantities, strain strain strain.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

angor posted:

Calling all punch wizards.

Planning a summer party/wedding reception for next year with 100 guests, most will be drinking. I want to serve 2 punches. I'm all but sold on the Admiral Russel's Punch for one, and torn between doing either a gin based or rum based punch for the other. We could also do the USS Richmond Punch for one because it'll be nice to serve something sparkling and then something else (lighter?) for the other.

This will be a 10 hour party, and we're thinking of doing the punches as a welcome drink. My initial thought is to do 8 litres of each punch for a total of 16 litres. Does that sound about right?

Any thoughts on a good combination of 2 punches? This will be an afternoon in June in London if that matters.

To serve 100 people for a 10 hour party you're looking at a lot of alcohol. Bare minimum I would prepare is 500 servings, but if you're really looking at a 10 hour party you might not be wrong to prepare more than 700 servings. If the punch is just going to be a welcome drink I would still err on the side of preparing at least 2 servings per likely drinker. Just to make it easy, that means you'll need around 200 drinks in punch, or 100 drink per recipe. A 750 ml bottle of 80 proof spirits yields about 16.67 drinks, so you'll need to plan on around 4.5 liters of spirits per punch. That means for Admiral Russell's you'll probably want to make 2.5 batches, which comes out to around 13 liters of fluid. If you did Limmer's Club for the other bowl (which I think would be quite correct) you again should use 2.5 batches (based on a batch for 1.75 l gin), which yields over 22 liters of final product.

This will be a significant logistical challenge, but one you should not shy away from! Considering using galvanized steel tubs as the punch bowls. I've also been looking into large earthenware pots, since they make those big. Ice blocks will be a problem – you will need to produce a lot of ice to chill that much punch. I don't recommend planning on re-filling the bowls, because weddings are sufficiently hectic to make that a dangerous gambit.

Do you have other questions? I can do the math and help you figure out about how many lemons you'll need. Off the top of my head, it'll be around 100.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Kenning posted:

To serve 100 people for a 10 hour party you're looking at a lot of alcohol. Bare minimum I would prepare is 500 servings, but if you're really looking at a 10 hour party you might not be wrong to prepare more than 700 servings. If the punch is just going to be a welcome drink I would still err on the side of preparing at least 2 servings per likely drinker. Just to make it easy, that means you'll need around 200 drinks in punch, or 100 drink per recipe. A 750 ml bottle of 80 proof spirits yields about 16.67 drinks, so you'll need to plan on around 4.5 liters of spirits per punch. That means for Admiral Russell's you'll probably want to make 2.5 batches, which comes out to around 13 liters of fluid. If you did Limmer's Club for the other bowl (which I think would be quite correct) you again should use 2.5 batches (based on a batch for 1.75 l gin), which yields over 22 liters of final product.

This will be a significant logistical challenge, but one you should not shy away from! Considering using galvanized steel tubs as the punch bowls. I've also been looking into large earthenware pots, since they make those big. Ice blocks will be a problem – you will need to produce a lot of ice to chill that much punch. I don't recommend planning on re-filling the bowls, because weddings are sufficiently hectic to make that a dangerous gambit.

Do you have other questions? I can do the math and help you figure out about how many lemons you'll need. Off the top of my head, it'll be around 100.

This is incredible stuff. I should have explained that we'll probably have 70 drinkers in total. The punch will be done as a reception drink, so I think your 2 drinks per drinker is spot on. Guests arrive at 2 and dinner is served at 4, so we need to quench 70 guests' thirst over about an hour and a half. Keep in mind that we'll also have a bar (gin, rum, vodka, bourbon, single malt) as well as wine and beer. As far as logistics, we'll probably prepare the punch a day or two in advance (aside from fizz) and bring them to the venue in 5l glass carboys. I will instruct our caterer to bring appropriate punch bowls and ice blocks once I figure out how big both of these need to be.

Thoughts on Admiral Russell's vs USS Richmond?

angor fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 16, 2017

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

angor posted:

Thoughts on Admiral Russell's vs USS Richmond?
Both are relatively heavy drinks that rely on the carbonation to keep them light. I’m gonna disagree with Kenning about doing them all in one batch. I recently did Admiral Russell’s for a friends business opening. It was a few hours and about 100 people and I just casually kept an eye on the bowl and when it got low I assembled the next batch. I had the base all premade and assembled so it was really just measuring that out and dumping in a few bottles. I also had a fresh ice cube for each fresh batch. The last cup of each bowl was notably less exciting than the first, so to keep the dilution down and gas up I’d keep it to as many small batches as makes sense.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 16, 2017

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

tonedef131 posted:

Both are relatively heavy drinks that rely on the carbonation to keep them light. I’m gonna disagree with Kenning about doing them all in one batch. I recently did Admiral Russell’s for a friends business opening. It was a few hours and about 100 people and I just casually kept an eye on the bowl and when it got low I assembled the next batch. I had the base all premade and assembled so it was really just measuring that out and dumping in a few bottles. I also had a fresh ice cube for each fresh batch. The last cup of each bowl was notably less exciting than the first, so to keep the dilution down and gas up I’d keep it to as many small batches as makes sense.

I think the idea of small batches will work. The caterer is charging us for 'managing and chilling' drinks, so I'm sure they can handle refilling a punch bowl when time comes.

You mention the Admiral Russell's punch is carbonated, but I don't see anything fizzy in the ingredient list. Am I missing something?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

angor posted:

You mention the Admiral Russell's punch is carbonated, but I don't see anything fizzy in the ingredient list. Am I missing something?
Sorry I was thinking of Frank Foresters, those Wondrich punches kinda run together for me sometimes. Russels would work better than the bubbly ones large format, if you can figure it out logistically.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, so for 70 drinkers it probably makes sense to do around 150 drinks total, so 75 or so per bowl. I feel very strongly that 2 handles of gin rendered into Limmer's Club should be one of them. Each one of those handles will produce around 9 liters, and can safely be served in a 12 liter bowl. I think Admiral Russell's is a very nice complement to Limmer's actually. For that one you'll also want a double batch, (i.e. made with four 750 ml bottles of cognac total). The total volume of a double batch is around 9.25 liters, and you might be able to squeak by with a 12 liter bowl, although it would be better if it were a little larger. If you want to do 2 single batches a 6 or 7 liter bowl would be ideal. Doing batches of this size actually yields 160 drinks, but I don't think anyone will fault you for that. Just fyi, you might want to make sure your caterers have appropriate punch bowls, since it's not necessarily a given.

The logistics for the Limmer's Club punch are pretty easy. The amount of stock necessary to make a handle's worth of Limmer's fits easily in a 1 liter bottle. The instructions for the caterers will be "Pour in 1 handle of gin, 1 of these bottles of lemon juice/sugar mixture, and 6 liters of soda water". Cake.

For the Admiral Russell's I would combine the citrus juices, sugar, and sherry into a 2 liter container of some sort. I use growlers from my local brewery when I'm transporting 2 liters of punch ingredients. You can have them combine the contents of the growler, 2 bottles of cognac, and 1.5 liters (I assume you'll have access to a container that works for this) of water to make a single batch, or double that if you have a bowl large enough to accommodate it. Remember the nutmeg on the Admiral Russell's, it's crucial. If you don't want to invest in a fancy grater a microplane works.

Make sure that the cups near your punch bowls are small. I use 9 oz. plastic cups, and I think that for an outdoors wedding thin plastic cups are going to be better than glass, since glass in the sun can absorb a lot of heat and that totally messes up the punch experience. Those faux-crystal plastic cups I think are sufficiently dressy. That said, if you insist on using glass make sure the cups are small. This is so important. Like, 300 ml at the absolute max.

Remember that your ice block should be around 1/3 the total liquid volume of the punch is is cooling, and therefore should be around 1/4 the size of the punch bowl it's served in. So for the 9 liter batch of Limmer's, you'll want a 3 liter block in a 12 liter bowl. That's why serving 9.25 liters of punch in a 12 liter bowl gets tenuous – it's just hard for the ice to cool it at that size. Oh! Also, the punch must be served in the shade. I've served punch in the sun before and the ice block simply cannot compete with the sun to cool down the punch.

Just for reference, here are the recipes I'm working with for the punches.

Admiral Russell's

2 750 ml bottles VS Cognac
18 oz. oloroso sherry
18 oz. raw sugar
18 oz. lemon juice
4 oz. lime juice
1.5 qt. water + 1 cup water
nutmeg

This punch can be made with an oleo-saccharum, but I never do. Combine sugar and 1 cup boiling water to render into a syrup, then allow to cool. Fine-strain your juices (fresh-squeezed!), and mix with syrup, wine, and cognac to form a stock. At moment of service, add water, ice block, and grate nutmeg.

Limmer's Club (multiply by 6 to equal 1 handle, or 1.75 liters, of gin)

10 oz. London dry gin
1 oz. white sugar
2 oz. capillaire*
3 oz. lemon juice
1 liter soda water

*Capillaire is an orange blossom syrup. Prepare a syrup with 16 oz. white sugar and 8 oz. water, allow to cool, and then stir in orange blossom water, starting with 1 tsp, until richly floral. I usually batch my capillaire to the punch so as not to have leftover, but this is a good guide.

Prepare an oleo-saccharum with the sugar and lemon peels. This is crucial to the success of this punch – because it's so dilute with soda water the richness of the lemon oils provides a much-needed structure to the punch. The longer you extract the better the punch will be. Dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice (if it's not dissolving easily, you can add a *small* amount of water), add the capillaire, gin, and soda water. Jarritos Mineragua is the best soda water if it's available to you, but just make sure to use something with strong fizz. Serve over an ice block.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 17, 2017

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Why would you not pre batch and chill everything that isn't Carbonated the night before? Nothing is going to oxidize overnight.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

When you're dealing with large volume punches there's honestly a problem of appropriate-sized containers. The configurations I described are fairly economical in terms of space, and use container sizes that are pretty easy to come by. I definitely bought a 3 gallon water jug to try transporting punches in years ago, but it's enormous and weighs almost 30 pounds when full and doesn't fit in a refrigerator, so now I try to keep my alcoholic ingredients in their original containers and transport the shrubb and water separately. This also allows you to freeze the spirit (which saves you ice to some extent by making the initial build a good deal cooler) and potentially use whatever water is available at the venue, which is sometimes a convenient move.

If batching it all together is logistically reasonable for your operation there's no reason not to, but I've found that having things in multiple containers makes it much easier to transport and not particularly more difficult to assemble.

Also, all the containers I described are glass, with the exception of the soda water bottles. It will look much classier at a wedding to be pouring from a series of glass bottles than from a few repurposed gallon water bottles, which is probably the thing that would be used to transport a fully-assembled punch (at least that's what I always used before I hit upon my current system).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I think keeping the booze bottles frozen and the rest of the drink chilled in smaller containers is a good idea. We live out of the country so we're essentially going to be borrowing fridge space.

I'm speaking with caterers tomorrow so I'll make sure they can supply appropriately sized punch bowls and take care of the ice. I'll have to scale the recipes down and fiddle with them slightly. The UK sells 70cl bottles of booze, not 750ml. It's not a huge difference for the Admiral Russell's, but it'll be trickier with the Limmer's Club.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
My friend placed third in a sherry competition on Monday with a drink that mixed manzanilla sherry with pickled watermelon and it’s juice and it was so good I’m a little mad at her.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

My friend placed third in a sherry competition on Monday with a drink that mixed manzanilla sherry with pickled watermelon and it’s juice and it was so good I’m a little mad at her.

Was she at the one on New York? We had a bartender there too

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Was she at the one on New York? We had a bartender there too

Indeed. Now you’re gonna look sideways at all your Friday night deuces for the next month to figure out which one is the goon. Have fun!

Also I️ have some of that watermelon rind pickle and it is siiiiikkkkk

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

Indeed. Now you’re gonna look sideways at all your Friday night deuces for the next month to figure out which one is the goon. Have fun!

Also I️ have some of that watermelon rind pickle and it is siiiiikkkkk

Don't be a goober, PM me before you come in so I can put your name on the skip the line list

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Favourite hot toddy/hot boozey drinks(not mulled wine)? Not looking for large volume, just want to make a few new, warm drinks for a date night :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I like cognac in hot chocolate