Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Never trust a revolutionary who books his events on fuckin Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Never trust a revolutionary who books his events on fuckin Facebook

So, all of them?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Why, because it's a corporate tool or something? For better or worse, it's the main organizing platform for protests and so on these days.

Also, those are teachers unions who organized this, not Marxist revolutionary cadres.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I realize the distinction may be lost on some, however.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Because FB stuff is actively monitored by cops, feds, and white supremacists looking for appealing targets.

edit: but I repeat myself

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Reene posted:

Because FB stuff is actively monitored by cops, feds, and white supremacists looking for appealing targets.

edit: but I repeat myself

I think if the whole PRISM debacle has shown us anything, it's that most electronic communications can pretty much be ruled out as compromised. Nothing's going to be won in this age without mass mobilization, and mass mobilization is probably not going to happen if people are all using just Signal or snail mail or word of mouth to organize. Also, if the state decides it's time to start cracking down, I highly doubt the use of Facebook is going to be the line between a bad outcome and a worse outcome for the vast majority of people.

That being said, if you are someone who is particularly vulnerable to being targeted by any of those entities, particularly non-state white supremacists, you don't exactly have to have an account to get the basic facts from some event someone posted. And you would be smart not to.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 10, 2017

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Sure talk about crazy DeVos pants on fire. Perfect example. Go protest that garbage, they are the worst. They want to cut public education and subsidise private schools, presumably because someone is allowed to own those and profit off of it. Deserved outrage!

Meanwhile our local government cut mental health services spending in King county by over fifteen million dollars last month.

They unironically claimed they did it by accident like it was spilled apple juice or something.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 10, 2017

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Mr. Lobe posted:

Never trust a revolutionary without a sense of humor. At worst they are unhinged, and at best, you don't win people over to radical politics by being a stick in the mud.

No, you're right. As a Russian that's actually from the former Soviet Union it is pretty funny to see young American kids fly the hammer and sickle while creating vegan and gluten free versions of Russian food. (not even being facetious, it really does make me chuckle)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Soarer posted:

No, you're right. As a Russian that's actually from the former Soviet Union it is pretty funny to see young American kids fly the hammer and sickle while creating vegan and gluten free versions of Russian food. (not even being facetious, it really does make me chuckle)

You are even finding the same thing happening in parts of Russia, times changed.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ardennes posted:

That only goes so far though, it can improve some local traffic issues and increase density but at the end of the day, you are going to have a lot of commuters needing to go somewhere. There have been attempts at "decentralizing" CBDs but you still get plenty of cross-traffic that bogs down roadways. At the end of the day, you are going to have tons of people going across town.
For sure, and I'm not suggesting walking and biking can replace good transit, but they are complementary (way better to get people to transit station by foot/bike than by car).

quote:

Also, the US especially doesn't seem to do small markets well, either it is some type of convenience store/liquor store or a full-scale supermarket. I live outside of the states and I have to say I appreciate being able to go to a local store and being able to get 80-90% of what I need.
You're not wrong and I agree completely (I'm actually in Munich now), but I think the reason it hasn't been done well that often is precisely because mixed use is so rare and low density residential (that's also hostile to walking) is so common. You definitely see plenty of smaller, effective grocery stores in NYC, so it's not like something Americans just can't do.

quote:

Portland has been on the forefront of mixed-use and bike use, but it hasn't helped with the amount of growth the city has seen (and that's even considering that Portland has one of the best mass-transit cities for a city of its size).
Portland still has most of its residential land zoned strictly for just SFHs, doesn't it? And the new mixed use additions seems to have mostly been like larger buildings on arterials. Better than most of the states but still kind of a half effort.

quote:

Ideally, in other countries, you should have some type of high capacity transit with its own right of way within about .5-.75 miles of most of the population (this is obviously not the case in the states but it gives you an idea.)
It's funny, in the US people have been pooh poohing streetcars as effective transit, but I just visited Prague which relies on them very heavily and it seemed to work great, even without dedicated lanes. It seemed like they were able to get way more people within easy walking distance of frequent, decent transit that way since streetcars are vastly cheaper than separated grade rail. But it probably wouldn't work at the population densities most US cities are at for most of their neighborhoods, you'd really need some upzones.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 10, 2017

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Soarer posted:

The hammer and sickle pre-dates the Soviet Union by a few years. If it makes you feel better, I will be drinking Cuba Libres all night in honor of Che, may he rest in power.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

man you'd be coming off a lot better if you didn't keep saying poo poo like

FantasticExtrusion posted:

It's hypocritical to welcome everyone, even homeless heroin addicts, but to say to someone who picked themselves up and pays the rent: "you're garbage."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
But also: he is garbage

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

FantasticExtrusion posted:

It's hypocritical to welcome everyone, even homeless heroin addicts, but to say to someone who picked themselves up and pays the rent: "you're garbage."

Homeless heroin addicts are way cooler than people who think like this

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cicero posted:

For sure, and I'm not suggesting walking and biking can replace good transit, but they are complementary (way better to get people to transit station by foot/bike than by car).

It is a start, but I do think we really need to think about how to open up access to transit (with their own ROWs). Much of it comes down to simply money and politics, but that is precisely the reason I am more than a little downbeat on the subject.

quote:

You're not wrong and I agree completely (I'm actually in Munich now), but I think the reason it hasn't been done well that often is precisely because mixed use is so rare and low density residential (that's also hostile to walking) is so common. You definitely see plenty of smaller, effective grocery stores in NYC, so it's not like something Americans just can't do.

In NYC you do have bodegas (although I would say they still relatively skimp on fresh food), but I have been surprised how few new developments in Portland have small markets. Most of the time the commercial space is taken by a coffee places/bars/restaurants. That isn't bad but it would help to have something a bit more functional.

quote:

Portland still has most of its residential land zoned strictly for just SFHs, doesn't it? And the new mixed-use additions seems to have mostly been like larger buildings on arterials. Better than most of the states but still kind of a half effort.

There is infill that is coming (against plenty of local opposition), but I can see why there is resistance, for residents infill largely means a decrease in the quality of life (even though I believe density is necessary). Also, most neighborhoods still only have access to infrequent bus routes. One big issue with the Max (light rail) is it generally took the lowest cost option which is to generally follow freeways and freight rail ROWs, which means stops are almost always in the middle of nowhere. The Streetcar is generally too limited to really touch many residential neighborhoods and is mostly a tourist/commercial circulator. Basically, how do you fix the chicken and egg situation when you need more density for rail but you need rail to service those neighborhoods.

quote:

It's funny, in the US people have been pooh poohing streetcars as effective transit, but I just visited Prague which relies on them very heavily and it seemed to work great, even without dedicated lanes. It seemed like they were able to get way more people within easy walking distance of frequent, decent transit that way since streetcars are vastly cheaper than separated grade rail. But it probably wouldn't work at the population densities most US cities are at for most of their neighborhoods, you'd really need some upzones.

Granted, streetcars in Prague work so well because they are generally going through residential neighborhoods in close proximity to each other. Also, you can generally get to the center in 30-45 minutes by a streetcar, sometimes faster than traffic (depending on the time of day). Prague also has a metro system on top of that. I think a big difference is simply direct post-war trajectories. Czechoslovakia (and Czechia) went with the rest of Europe (and especially the Warsaw pact) of large-scale public housing in the place of American-style suburbs, and most people live in relatively close proximity to the old historic core. In many ways, it was more efficient but obviously came at the cost of personal space and privacy.

That said, I live in Moscow, a city more or less designed the same way...just on a macro-scale. It is hard not to appreciate it especially when you get your app(s) working and realize how many options you have for transit, and how much it is designed so somehow can get across a town of its size in an hour without a car. It is almost always quicker to transit any time around rush hour.

In some ways I think the US was a bit of a victim of our success, we had the oil, we had the money and we had the space so there was nothing stopping us from developing a nearly entirely car-centric culture, but unfortunately we are now starting to really pay for it as the efficiency of that system is starting to seriously erode.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 11, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ElCondemn posted:

Sure, in theory it's a reasonable idea, but how long will the average low income household be waiting before the death vans show up for them? White suburbia will probably be getting purged left and right while minorities get ignored yet again.

Every year kill the richest 1%.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

A group of protesters chained themselves up in front of the gates into the ICE facility in SE Portland today. PPD is starting to move in. Live updates:

https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/918252440448667648

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/NLG_Portland/status/918282474383224832

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Reene posted:

A group of protesters chained themselves up in front of the gates into the ICE facility in SE Portland today. PPD is starting to move in. Live updates:

https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/918252440448667648

So the police are coming to take away the people who appear to be wearing hat's. ICE, caps disappearing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's been clarified in other tweets, but those aren't DHS putting hoods and earmuffs on protesters, those are Portland Police. Probably because PPB has jurisdiction on the sidewalk.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Oh goddamn it just replace my previous pun to this picture.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Why in the gently caress are they being hooded?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Supposedly so they don't get hurt by noise or sparks while they use a tool to cut the chains.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Probably to protect them from sparks flying off the saw they're going to use to cut them loose. The ear muffs are so they don't go deaf.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

Hooding detainees is a technique widely used by the US military. Incidentally, if you ask Doug Brown if police are civilians, he will tell you that they are not.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Why do they need power tools?

Standard 3/8" chain or even half inch long link a pair of big bolt cutters will go through pretty easily.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Standard 3/8" chain or even half inch long link a pair of big bolt cutters will go through pretty easily.

That doesn't debase and frighten people though

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/dirquez/status/918305913982746625

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

Their hands are cuffed together inside PVC pipes.

e: wiki

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Ok that makes sense. That's a neat trick. Yeah one would need power tools to cut that safely.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Except per the NLG and Doug Brown who was there taking pictures of the process, there were no power tools being used. There was nothing there causing noise or throwing sparks at all. There was no reason for hoods and earmuffs.

Reene fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 12, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Those hoods are flash hoods. Any links to images of it being cut?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If they were actually using power tools, not giving them earpro would've been a gigantic dick move. Grinders are fuckin loud.

If they weren't though then wtf.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/918328522715815936

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

If they were actually using power tools, not giving them earpro would've been a gigantic dick move. Grinders are fuckin loud.

If they weren't though then wtf.
https://twitter.com/NLG_Portland/status/918321772880994304

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's theater to dehumanize people who are literally protecting the humanity of their fellow human beings.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
pvc pipe cutters do not create sparks or loud noises

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
WE ARE ACTING IN ACCORDANCE WITH CAUTELARY JURISPRUDENCE; TO RESOLVE THIS INCIDENT CITIZEN PLEASE DO NOT BE ALARMED. :psylon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

It's theater to dehumanize people who are literally protecting the humanity of their fellow human beings.

Every cop interaction is about asserting their dominance and power, I think they did it to scare these people as a "power move".