Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fister Roboto posted:

What I don't get is that I thought FF12 was supposed to be long before FFT, and that a cataclysm happened between them that wiped out all the moogles, viera, and other non-human people.

Also this is a thing: https://i.imgur.com/3ZyL0PK.png

(and an A+ NPC name)

Everyone thought that, I think, which means that either we were wrong or this depiction of Ivalice isn't actually the "real" one, which is what I'm still leaning towards because there's so much poo poo that needs explaining, dear lord

Or they're just loving with the timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

(Actual rear end spoilers)

It is currently leaning heavily on "the same world" - one of the main quest NPCs appears to be none other than the "narrator" of FFT, Arzalam. And unlike a lot of the other "FF reference" stuff, a very big deal is being made out of proving that Ivalice was "real", and it is pointed out that the "church" suppressed the truth of the Zodiac Brave Story.

This actually lines up somewhat with descriptions of both the Second Astral Era and Fourth Astral Era in the lorebook, so the idea seems be that Final Fantasy Tactics is indeed set in one of those two eras of Hydaelyn, and the raid plot revolves both around proving the Durai Papers, literally named as such, are true, and making sure that the Zodiac Auracites - which are explicitly the same kind of auracites we've been using since 2.4 - don't fall into the wrong hands, which Ba'gamnan's group of bangaa seem determined to have happen.

Moreover, it's made relatively clear that the Rabanastre we visit is indeed the Rabanastre of FFXII - and it appears, from the descriptions, that FFXII must've been part of the Fifth Astral Era or such. Rabanastre is built on top of Lesalia from FFT. This is less clear, though, as the major focus of the Ivalice 24-mans is on the FFT plot; it seems more like the raid is a teaser for getting to visit Rabanastre in a more robust capacity later in the game's life (the sharp-eyed can even spot an aetheryte in the wide view of the city).

Oh drat, that's a lot more than I thought. Though my confusion is the same as Fister Roboto's: a lot of aspects of FFXII are perfectly situation to have been far in the past of FFT, so the idea that it was actually far after FFT throws the whole Ivalice timeline into question. Still, that's kind of a cool approach, and now I'm gonna have to go do it because I'm a huge sucker for Ivalice.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The good: finally clearing O4S :buddy:
The bad: rolling 96 on the coffer and another guy rolled 97 :negative:

I'll take the win, though!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thundarr posted:

Rolling 96 on the coffer and another guy rolled 97 :negative:

Soul crushing every time. :smith:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I've been getting a really weird bug since update, where random UI elements will turn off for me and I have to manually go back in to turn them back on, like my exp bar, my party list, my hp, my gil, my buffs and debuffs, etc. Anyone else having this issue?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If you are reading this right now, you should be logging in and running LOST CANALS with me!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

If you are reading this right now, you should be logging in and running LOST CANALS with me!

If you're on the Aether datacenter I'm 100% down, I'm real tired of losing deltascape bolt rolls 5 times in a row so I can get rid of this last piece of 310 gear I have :negative:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Gloomy Rube posted:

I've been getting a really weird bug since update, where random UI elements will turn off for me and I have to manually go back in to turn them back on, like my exp bar, my party list, my hp, my gil, my buffs and debuffs, etc. Anyone else having this issue?

This hasn't happened to me, but happened to someone in my FC while we were running Rabanastre. His client was glitching out during the fight, and then yeah the HUD started switching itself off.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

When did they add flying for the Odin mount?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Less than 24 hours ago, in the most recent patch.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Square, stop adding neoliberal weaksause to a game about fantasy catgirls or I swear I'm changing my character's name to Bernie Tanaka Would'Have'Won

EDIT: much like Joe Biden, Godbert stopped being cool the moment he showed his politics. :negative:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 11, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We did Shinryu EX blind tonight! And died a whole lot!

Spoilers on mechanics that we were able to figure out, I'm sure there's more detailed stuff on Reddit but it was neat trying to learn a fight with no outside assistance:

Heart of the Worm hypercharges his aetherial attacks. It has to die before he gets the 100-Aether attack off.
Earthen Fury: raid buster. Cracks about four panels.
Burning Chains: Run away to break the chains, does periodic damage and debuffs.
Tidal Wave: Same as usual.

After Chains-Wave, someone will get a Green Marker. When the marker disappears, the tail will smash that tile. Run to a safe tile (not the center!) and drop it, then get out and get ready to kill the tail.

Left Wing, Blue Circle: Icicles to the back round that shoot forward and knock you back. Dodge the icicles.
Left Wing, Gray Circle: Ice Storm, moderate-damage raid buster.
Right Wing, Purple Circle: Levinbolt. Spread out.
Right Wing, Red Circle: Hypernova. I haven't been able to figure out exactly how it targets, but it picks a player and blows them up. Go into the water pools for this, I guess?

Akh Morn: Either immunity through this or stack with the other tank and hit a defensive cooldown.

Dragon Punch: Get out of the center black circle.
Earth Breath: Cone AOE. Run to the shoulder.
Hellfire: Stand in the water.
Judgement Bolt: Don't be in the water, be topped off.

We didn't make it past the third corrupted aether tonight but I'm pleased with the fight thus far. Looking forward to the next couple phases.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Square, stop adding neoliberal weaksause to a game about fantasy catgirls or I swear I'm changing my character's name to Bernie Tanaka Would'Have'Won

EDIT: much like Joe Biden, Godbert stopped being cool the moment he showed his politics. :negative:

Helping the Ala Mhigan refugees become self sufficient is objectively better for everyone than letting them remain reliant on charity. I knew this would trigger a knee jerk reaction among some people because on the surface it sounds like libertarian bootstrap bullshit, but helping (keyword: helping) people stand on their own feet is not the same thing. Not even close.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

SpaceDrake posted:

It is currently leaning heavily on "the same world" - one of the main quest NPCs appears to be none other than the "narrator" of FFT, Arzalam. And unlike a lot of the other "FF reference" stuff, a very big deal is being made out of proving that Ivalice was "real", and it is pointed out that the "church" suppressed the truth of the Zodiac Brave Story.

This actually lines up somewhat with descriptions of both the Second Astral Era and Fourth Astral Era in the lorebook, so the idea seems be that Final Fantasy Tactics is indeed set in one of those two eras of Hydaelyn, and the raid plot revolves both around proving the Durai Papers, literally named as such, are true, and making sure that the Zodiac Auracites - which are explicitly the same kind of auracites we've been using since 2.4 - don't fall into the wrong hands, which Ba'gamnan's group of bangaa seem determined to have happen.

Moreover, it's made relatively clear that the Rabanastre we visit is indeed the Rabanastre of FFXII - and it appears, from the descriptions, that FFXII must've been part of the Fifth Astral Era or such. Rabanastre is built on top of Lesalia from FFT. This is less clear, though, as the major focus of the Ivalice 24-mans is on the FFT plot; it seems more like the raid is a teaser for getting to visit Rabanastre in a more robust capacity later in the game's life (the sharp-eyed can even spot an aetheryte in the wide view of the city).

Ba'Gamnan is kind of a question mark because, what, unless it's an identical grandson or some nonsense, but even human-form Argath appears to be some kind of projection coming from his auracite. He's not too hard to figure out - the Rabanastre raid is basically a gauntlet of what modern Eorzeans would term "primals", or beings very similar.

Viera in 5.x?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I ran the Ivalice raid a second time (I don't know why, I already suffered through an alliance of mostly clueless newbies earlier in the day) and at least now I know how the last boss's signature mechanic works and it's kind of neat.

The white mask tells the truth, follow its instructions. The black mask lies, disobey it.

It's still undermined by the fact that if you have no idea what you're doing and ignore it you've got about a 50/50 shot at passing the check anyway, and it takes three stacks of the failure debuff to really screw you.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 11, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Friendship ENDED with Lost Canals. HIDDEN CANALS is my new best friend.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"Lost" just means people forgot where it was, no big deal
"Hidden" though, that means someone went out of their way to make sure nobody could find it, so you know that's where the best poo poo is

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I probably shouldn't but:

Five of those were in one day.

It wasn't so bad when following this guide:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YYuZ9fpxSCELsjDikPXvTFq_NNkXTQU76PU5vmprKqg/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

Get the lovely zones out of the way and slowly work your way up to the better zones with closer fate spawns and easier to hit one then another.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 11, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/potion_lilac/status/915121018145882112
https://twitter.com/potion_lilac/status/917683841430544386

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Primal themed buttplugs, nice.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This mount is so tiny i love it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpaceDrake posted:

Ba'Gamnan is kind of a question mark because, what, unless it's an identical grandson or some nonsense, but even human-form Argath appears to be some kind of projection coming from his auracite. He's not too hard to figure out - the Rabanastre raid is basically a gauntlet of what modern Eorzeans would term "primals", or beings very similar.

It's not The same Ivalice as FFXII at all. Cid and Alma talk about Rabanastre trying to remain neutral in the war until it was Crushed by the Garlean Empire. Rabanastre in XII eventually overcame a totally different empire and built an alliance between that Empire and its major rival.

It's all just a reference and not actually the thing. It's why FFXII some how happens after the mudhole world where magic is dying in FFT in FF14's version even though the original Ivalice has it the other way because Ashe's destruction of the Sun Cryst cuts the Magic Source Illuminati off from the world. And it's also why Ba'gamnan is there somehow 1000 years after Rabanastre's destruction.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

Helping the Ala Mhigan refugees become self sufficient is objectively better for everyone than letting them remain reliant on charity. I knew this would trigger a knee jerk reaction among some people because on the surface it sounds like libertarian bootstrap bullshit, but helping (keyword: helping) people stand on their own feet is not the same thing. Not even close.

It sounds like libertarian bootstrapping because he says that charity makes people lazy. Like, straight up says that.

Ivalice raid was sweet, third boss going Dukes of Hazzard on us was the funniest loving thing. Also we got the last guy down with 9 minutes left because we had like 8 red mages and 4 people were real trigger happy with the release button, so we limped by for 15 minutes in an endless chain of red mages and healers scraping each other up before we killed him. Patch is real good.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This mount is so tiny i love it.

what mount is this?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what mount is this?

Managarm. 8 gold chocobo feathers

Griz
May 21, 2001

Tengu doll minion (quick venture)

it flies but doesn't sit on your shoulder like some of the other flying things.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

Viera in 5.x?

Well we haven't seen any yet, here's hoping one shows up in the next part.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is there a way to alter how many debuffs show up on an enemy? i'm getting very tired of trying to track dots in 8 and 24 mans

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not The same Ivalice as FFXII at all. Cid and Alma talk about Rabanastre trying to remain neutral in the war until it was Crushed by the Garlean Empire. Rabanastre in XII eventually overcame a totally different empire and built an alliance between that Empire and its major rival.

It's all just a reference and not actually the thing. It's why FFXII some how happens after the mudhole world where magic is dying in FFT in FF14's version even though the original Ivalice has it the other way because Ashe's destruction of the Sun Cryst cuts the Magic Source Illuminati off from the world. And it's also why Ba'gamnan is there somehow 1000 years after Rabanastre's destruction.

It's this.

The Ivalice stuff isn't Ivalice of FFT or Rabanastre of FF12. It's a reference, imported into XIV and naturalized to be part of its world, with the necessary editing and "retcons" to make it work/do what the writers want it to do. The Ivalice timeline places FFT as being after XII, but that's not the case in XIV's version. Ivalice is an ancient kingdom and mostly a myth in the modern age. Rabanastre is a city that has existed for some time and was an active city until recently.

The Dalmasca desert is described to be in southern central Othard, close to Nagxia, which is south of Doma in the Othard map. Given that Othard extends beyond the confines of the in-game map, it's probably in the clouded region.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I probably shouldn't but:

Five of those were in one day.

It wasn't so bad when following this guide:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YYuZ9fpxSCELsjDikPXvTFq_NNkXTQU76PU5vmprKqg/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

Get the lovely zones out of the way and slowly work your way up to the better zones with closer fate spawns and easier to hit one then another.

Yeah it's not so bad because you still have three times as much to go for the rest of the weapons. Don't kid yourself, it's bad.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is there a way to alter how many debuffs show up on an enemy? i'm getting very tired of trying to track dots in 8 and 24 mans

Your applied debuffs should be the first ones on the list, and they show up in a slightly different color, a very light green. I know there's an option that makes it only display the debuffs that you've personally applied to the enemy (somewhere under the target menu in character customization IIRC), but that's not ideal either for obvious reasons.

If anyone knows a way to change the color for the debuffs that you've applied so it's actually noticeable, that would be amazing and I'd love you forever.

Also, as promised in the patch notes, you can in fact have your whole dumb family out at once. I was half-expecting that I'd crash the whole game server by having a chocobo + a minion + an egi out at the same time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
99 carbonized matter for botany quest.

How many for the mining quest?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Ivalice raid definitely seems structured in such a way that in the third one they can just pull back for a complete fake out one way or the other. The concept of it being a theater troop trying to discern fact from fiction lends itself to that pretty strongly, it's all artifice. Right now it's hard to say whether it's contradictory or coincidental.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's been so many different Ivalices that trying to genuinely map out what's what doesn't really work so gently caress it, have timelines cross over if it means we get some good and fun fanservice.

I can only really see it being a case of where it's not the genuine Ivalice of 12/FFT but they story is so well loved that it's brought into existence just like an Eikon or whatever with Auracite as the catalyst.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I loving love patch day raids when nobody knows what the gently caress.

https://gfycat.com/ScarceNiftyHammerheadbird

(linked for mechanic spoilers)

stand in the circle! *entire raid stumbles around like a bunch of drunk hobos*

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 11, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm still only halfway through the 4.1 msq but (spoilers) the scene where you talk with Fordola in the prison cell and she sees your past might be my favourite voiced scene in the game.

Also my favourite part of the new raid was when you get hit by Trample for the first time. It was worth it for the unique animation.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

so uh those archers squaddies may be a bit broken guys

highly recommended

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181314179

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The best part of the Ivalice raid is the second boss and

watching people get creamed by the towers as they fall, it's never not satifying :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

so uh those archers squaddies may be a bit broken guys

highly recommended

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181314179

Yeah, squaddies just delete things when they're on attack mode and have a decent enough level in it. Archers do seem a cut above, but Pugilist ones are also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

FFXIV is becoming the game I wanted Guild Wars 2 to be.