Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We should sacrifice him to Sam, so that we might be favored with great sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

One person made one post.

One person made one emptyquote.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

One person made one emptyquote.

I don't even know wtf you're making GBS threads your jorts about now but do you think you could do it somewhere else?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I don't think I've been inside a Wal-Mart in like ten years. I'd like to say it's out of principle, and partly it is, but mostly it's just because I have closer and better options. I might be spending a little bit more on some things, but it's worth it not to have to drive out to the county or go inside a Wal-Mart

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm pretty sure they mean walmart's website and not the store.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Even then I'd be wary of wal-mart because they mostly sell flimsy garbage so they can stay 'cheap'.

Their soap n' stuff is probably fine, though.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

in the grim darkness of the near future, there is only amazon and walmart for soap n' stuff

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

some schlub posted:

Looks like we brought one post too few

No, it looks like you brought two posts too many.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just lol if you're not making your own soap, Fight Club style

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I don't even know wtf you're making GBS threads your jorts about now but do you think you could do it somewhere else?

Please post more about how much you love Walmart, it's very interesting

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

Please post more about how much you love Walmart, it's very interesting

Hi, severely mentally ill guy who follows me around the forums, I have said precisely jack poo poo about Walmart. Barbarian Elephant said "soap and stuff" which reminded me of an amusing store name from the popular television show Parks and Recreation, so I posted a funny line from said show. Now you're having another one of your episodes because you literally seem to have some kind of alert system that notifies you whenever I make a post so you can throw a temper tantrum about it.

Take your meds and lie down for a while.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

severely mentally ill

having another one of your episodes

throw a temper tantrum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gotta love how a single emptyquote(about retail stores in the retail thread, no less) is enough to get people frothing at the mouth about TB.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

JFC, leave her alone.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

Gotta love how a single emptyquote(about retail stores in the retail thread, no less) is enough to get people frothing at the mouth about TB.

It wasn't an empty quote, I posted a picture. I guess it's not loading for some people but quite my post and look.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

And in relevant news that isn't petty sniping, Sears Canada is looking to close down all its stores coast-to-coast.

I guarantee you there's someone at Best Buy popping open champagne right now.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hi, severely mentally ill guy who follows me around the forums, I have said precisely jack poo poo about Walmart. Barbarian Elephant said "soap and stuff" which reminded me of an amusing store name from the popular television show Parks and Recreation, so I posted a funny line from said show. Now you're having another one of your episodes because you literally seem to have some kind of alert system that notifies you whenever I make a post so you can throw a temper tantrum about it.

So you're an ableist now? Figures.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
We are all adults here, I think everyone can agree that Walmart is for poors and the untermensch... Now target, on the other hand, there is a great retail store!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

We are all adults here, I think everyone can agree that Walmart is for poors and the untermensch... Now target, on the other hand, there is a great retail store!

I thought only anti-social morons left their house to shop?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My favorite chain store is Ace Hardware, tbh. Not sure if all of them are like that, but the one in my neighborhood has an incredibly well- informed and helpful staff, plants that don't look half dead, a cooler full of weird sodas, and a friendly shop cat named Benjamin. I don't even do much diy or gardening, but it's just a really nice store. Plus they made use of a cool old post office building instead of knocking it down and putting up a featureless box instead, which is something I wish would happen more often

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I thought only anti-social morons left their house to shop?

gotta get groceries somehow, unless you also order those online but there is no way in hell im trusting produce i didn't pick out myself

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crow Jane posted:

My favorite chain store is Ace Hardware, tbh. Not sure if all of them are like that, but the one in my neighborhood has an incredibly well- informed and helpful staff, plants that don't look half dead, a cooler full of weird sodas, and a friendly shop cat named Benjamin. I don't even do much diy or gardening, but it's just a really nice store. Plus they made use of a cool old post office building instead of knocking it down and putting up a featureless box instead, which is something I wish would happen more often

Ace Hardware is a co-operative of existing independent hardware stores and has been since the 70s, which allows very large leeway in local operations and locations while allowing the storeowners tons of the benefits from shared warehouses and purchasing of product.

Because of how the company originally operated and expanded from roughly the 30s to the 60s, a lot of their stores were newly built but pretty small by today's standards, with the rest being existing independent stores signing up to go under the corporate wing. And since the move to a co-op model, there's been far more of picking up various stores that were already existing in weird locations instead of having any need or want to do big box places.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 11, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Please stop stalking me.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Now target, on the other hand, there is a great retail store!

Targét. So fancy.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Ace Hardware is more of a Co-op/buyers/franchise club than a chain. If you go into small towns they are usually in the spot of the ancient hardware store of yore. Ace Hardware is cool and good.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'd rather to go to ace hardware than lowes, ace is closer and my kid loves going because there's always popcorn :3:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The local ace hardwares by me are all owned by a notorious rear end in a top hat who treats his managers and workers like poo poo, so I try to avoid shopping there when I can.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The place I live has an :pcgaming: AcTuAl DoWnToWn :pcgaming:

I can't afford to shop there though

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

BarbarianElephant posted:

If Amazon gets too expensive, there are certainly competitors. Walmart springs to mind currently, for a lot of the random poo poo you can get on Amazon. As a thrifty housewife, I recommend Walmart online for buying soap'n'stuff.
I'd guess that if anything's going to be a thorn in Amazon's side, it'll be some new disruptive tech thing that has a different shopping model revolving around something that lets it drive prices down, but it's hard since Amazon has a massive selection and a big loyalty incentive with Prime.

Also anecdotally, I've been trying Wal-Mart's in-store pickup thing lately and I'm 4 for 4 on it being a total clusterfuck.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OneEightHundred posted:

I'd guess that if anything's going to be a thorn in Amazon's side, it'll be some new disruptive tech thing that has a different shopping model revolving around something that lets it drive prices down, but it's hard since Amazon has a massive selection and a big loyalty incentive with Prime.

Also anecdotally, I've been trying Wal-Mart's in-store pickup thing lately and I'm 4 for 4 on it being a total clusterfuck.

I think a more curated competitor to Amazon that didn't make you wade through hundreds of pages of counterfeit crap would do really well. The current rich-people retail trend is really aesthetically-consistent house brands - Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have been doing that for years, but there's Muji for housewares, The Ordinary for skincare... this trend will move to the middle class before too long and even though Amazon has AmazonBasics, their shopping experience is much more cluttered than trends dictate.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

BlueBlazer posted:

Ace Hardware is more of a Co-op/buyers/franchise club than a chain. If you go into small towns they are usually in the spot of the ancient hardware store of yore. Ace Hardware is cool and good.

I have an awesome one within walking distance and it's exactly this.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

I think a more curated competitor to Amazon that didn't make you wade through hundreds of pages of counterfeit crap would do really well. The current rich-people retail trend is really aesthetically-consistent house brands - Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have been doing that for years, but there's Muji for housewares, The Ordinary for skincare... this trend will move to the middle class before too long and even though Amazon has AmazonBasics, their shopping experience is much more cluttered than trends dictate.
Yeah, I think the avenues that have the best shot are product consistency, exclusivity, guaranteed loyalty (i.e. subscriptions), and promotions.

The price/selection/convenience tradeoff probably still holds in general though, and on the selection axis, Amazon has a ridiculous amount of product overlap. There are 2000 different products listed under M/M HDMI cables.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

I think a more curated competitor to Amazon that didn't make you wade through hundreds of pages of counterfeit crap would do really well.

ok maybe the site works differently here in Germany, but why not just filter by "sold by Amazon"? I stopped buying from other sellers and haven't had that problem anymore

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

ok maybe the site works differently here in Germany, but why not just filter by "sold by Amazon"? I stopped buying from other sellers and haven't had that problem anymore

Amazon, at least in the U.S. mixes inventory from multiple sellers who use their "fulfilled by amazon" warehousing and fulfillment service. Even if you buy something "sold by Amazon" you could get a counterfeit item from a 3rd party vendor.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Oneiros posted:

Amazon, at least in the U.S. mixes inventory from multiple sellers who use their "fulfilled by amazon" warehousing and fulfillment service. Even if you buy something "sold by Amazon" you could get a counterfeit item from a 3rd party vendor.

Yeah but then you also get returns handled by amazon so the pissbitch 3rd party vendor can't make it difficult for you to return the thing.

call to action posted:

So you're an ableist now? Figures.

im the several missing :smug: smileys itp (in this post)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Amazon is fuckin nuts, yo.

I ordered something late Sunday night, Amazon said it would still come with 2 day delivery. I didn't expect that. So I figured, whatever, I guess I'll see.

Last night about 6 O'Clock some nondescript van pulls up and delivers the package. Ok, so I guess Amazon is not only having USPS work Sundays to deliver their poo poo, but also hires drivers for themselves as well.

But the kicker is that another van came down my street, like right next to the other one, and said they had something to deliver too (Amazon got the cargo mixed up, it wasn't on her van, was already delivered to me).

I guess that rambled too much but I was dumbfounded that they have all these drivers going around making sure poo poo is delivered in two days.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Doctor Butts posted:

I ordered something late Sunday night, Amazon said it would still come with 2 day delivery. I didn't expect that. So I figured, whatever, I guess I'll see.

Last night about 6 O'Clock some nondescript van pulls up and delivers the package. Ok, so I guess Amazon is not only having USPS work Sundays to deliver their poo poo, but also hires drivers for themselves as well.

But the kicker is that another van came down my street, like right next to the other one, and said they had something to deliver too (Amazon got the cargo mixed up, it wasn't on her van, was already delivered to me).

I guess that rambled too much but I was dumbfounded that they have all these drivers going around making sure poo poo is delivered in two days.

I absolutely can't believe some of it as well. Like, it gets delivered at all hours on Sunday or whatever. I can order something that's 40lbs (cat litter) and I get free shipping and it's there in a day or two.

Like, a couple years ago wasn't USPS going to stop Saturday delivery? Now Amazon has them out not only at all hours on Saturday, but on Sunday as well.

I really should post a couple photos of the 800,000sqft warehouse they built down the road from me. drat thing is so big it looks like an optical illusion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyway whether you work at a brick-and-mortar retail company or online retail company, if you are above store manager you go up against the wall too. :)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

It has been rumored that Amazon is going to create it's own delivery service. They're making a ton of investments and hires that point in that direction.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Xae posted:

It has been rumored that Amazon is going to create it's own delivery service. They're making a ton of investments and hires that point in that direction.

Maybe they can scoop up all the sorry folks that have been trying and failing to make a living with Uber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If Amazon can solve the riddle of uncrushed parcels then may death come swiftly to their enemies.