Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was hoping there would be a professional connection between Star Cruiser and Hamlet/Space Griffon but nope. Still think the later was directly inspired but at least the cutscenes are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Umineko is pretty spooky. Didn't think a Visual Novel could be this tense and unnerving. But there you go.

It's also really good. Glad I gave it a shot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess 100 GB games are the new normal

Most of this has to do with downloads offering fully uncompressed 8192x8192 textures for 4k displays, which is fine and all but maybe offer a skimpier download for the 90% of people who still don't have a 4k capable monitor.

That and just bundling all the localization audio together instead of letting you pick and choose what you need. It's sloppy presentation.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Does anyone want to make a new Witcher thread? The last one got radiumed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My internet has a 1000 GB data cap per month which is in effect totally bottomless, but the only time I ever come even close to hitting it is when a couple new games come out in one month. They're just so much bigger in filesize than any other form of media by huge amounts. It's even worse when it comes to games like DOOM or similar that come in packed-up 'large' compressed files, because they have to redownload dozens of gigs every time an update happens since the entire compressed file has to be replaced.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 11, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Reality Winner posted:

Does anyone want to make a new Witcher thread? The last one got radiumed.

Leave it to me!
I've been reading the first page and it looks like there is a ton of stuff in it and I will get it working again.

(I was reading the first page because I am constantly tempted to play it but worried about how much time it will consume. Silly worries I know but!)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I promise to buy at least one loot box if you compress your game properly

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sefal posted:

Umineko is pretty spooky. Didn't think a Visual Novel could be this tense and unnerving. But there you go.

It's also really good. Glad I gave it a shot.
Ooooh man. How far are you? It's been a few years since I was at the height of my Umineko fandom (besides the occasional time it comes up in the VN thread), but it's always a great conversation piece. If you've just started you are in for such a ride if you're already on board with the early content.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Ooooh man. How far are you? It's been a few years since I was at the height of my Umineko fandom (besides the occasional time it comes up in the VN thread), but it's always a great conversation piece. If you've just started you are in for such a ride if you're already on board with the early content.

I'm at Episode 2 (happy halloween church) 1st 6 murders

Episode 1 thoughts:

Wow, what an immersive visual novel. Maria was creepy enough to make me wary but I felt bad when they abandoned her. She is just a child. So when she was singing against the wall and the rest were holding back from grabbing her. I completely understood. It was a creepy scene. In the end, I really felt bad for Maria. To want the lost love of a mother back. It was heart wrenching finding out what she had to endure all those years. Even though the fact that Rosa slapt her in the face in the beginning. should have foreshadowed that fact

I was constantly doubting whether or not. Beatrice truly existed or not. There were always enough clue's that somebody from the 18 people could have done it.
The grandfather threw the ring away out of the window. and right after that. the sealed letters showed up.
The fact that one of the 1st 6 died had their face completely hosed up. Could have been an trick to make people think Krauss was dead and he swapped the clothes on the corpse. And he could have been moving freely after that.
But it really was Beatrice, huh. :iiam:
Maybe it's just me. But even though every time the game focused on Beatrice's portrait. I felt uneasy. like something might happen. Nothing did. But it was really tense!

When they discovered the 1st murder with the 6 bodies. As the scene went on. I too started to cry. The game has a way to really immersive yourself in it.
George and Shannon. :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only downside with Umineko at this point is that the entire story is now out there (including all 8 chapters if you track down the old translation patches). Arguably the most entertaining aspect was to cut down and analyze every episode piece-by-piece trying to pick up the patterns and clues, and then debate what it all might be indicating.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Great cat pic!

My avatar approves.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Star Ocean: The Last Hope getting a PC/PS4 hd remaster

4K, HD, M+KB controls, Camera Mode, etc. No release date.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope getting a PC/PS4 hd remaster

4K, HD, M+KB controls, Camera Mode, etc. No release date.

This game sucks and has the creepiest anime characters.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I said come in! posted:

This game sucks and has the creepiest anime characters.

Is that the one with "nappy time"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Is that the one with "nappy time"

Yeah it's this one. I can't for the life of me understand why this game is getting remastered.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it's this one. I can't for the life of me understand why this game is getting remastered.

Square honestly doesn't know what to do with the series so they're throwing poo poo at the wall, basically.

Also they ported the PSP version of 2 to PS4 and then didn't bring that over but we got a PS2-to-PS4 version of 3 and now this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HD remasters are probably pretty profitable for the labor cost of "add some more resolution options and less blurry textures" and resell for 20bux.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

:barf: They should just remaster the first 2 over and over.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

do i want to pry into what "nappy time" entails

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

do i want to pry into what "nappy time" entails

Click if you dare, the thumbnail should be enough to scare you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wamdoodle posted:

i am not brave enough to do this

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Nappy Time can mean different things in different parts of the world.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Nappy Time can mean different things in different parts of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHzubi2kgg

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wamdoodle posted:

Am I going to get out on a watch list for this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vocal tics are a big No in my book

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

Am I going to get out on a watch list for this
I watched it and the worst part about it is the really garish character designs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it's the voice acting

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

In Training posted:

I watched it and the worst part about it is the really garish character designs

That's a time honored tradition for Star Ocean

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I thought they promised that if the the fifth game didn't do well that they would kill the series. It peaked with 2 and they've made increasingly baffling decisions since then.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in lieu of watching that clip i've just mentally substituted the garbage day clip from silent night deadly night with the guy yelling "NAPPY TIME"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I thought they promised that if the the fifth game didn't do well that they would kill the series. It peaked with 2 and they've made increasingly baffling decisions since then.

I liked 3 but never finished it. Good times being the blond punchy guy.

Might get it for the PS4 some day if the series took such a nosedive.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

No it's the voice acting

Real gamers use the Japanese voices

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

5 is better than 4 but only because being bland and pointless is better than abjectly terrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Real gamers use the Japanese voices

I had the 360 version

al-azad
May 28, 2009

*Looks at Switch*

No, still can't play Parasite Eve or Xenogears on my PS4, I don't know why Square is bothering with Star Ocean before those.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the PS4 is the only sony system too powerful to play PS1 games, sorry

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Mr. FF15 made sure Parasite Eve is literally dead and buried and will never be enjoyed by anyone again in any form.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Why's that XV's fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Man do I love video gaming. Later on I am going to play Until Dawn because it is said to be spooky and that works for October. Plus I saw an option that it will record me during scary moments and that sounds like a tremendously funny outcome! :D

• Locked thread