Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
These people should be dragged into the street and tossed into a gorge where they can't interact with sane society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That afternoon, Bannon emailed Yiannopoulos and Marlow.

“Dude---we r in a global existentialist war where our enemy EXISTS in social media and u r jerking yourself off w/ marginalia!!!! U should be OWNING this conversation because u r everything they hate!!! Drop your toys, pick up your tools and go help save western civilization.”

This is both what makes the Alt-Right so dangerous and yet so hard to take seriously. That guy you avoid eye contact with on the bus is spending millions of dollars and working tirelessly to fight the Lizard People

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

But the problem is the lizard people may or may not be a metaphor for the Jews, depending on how convenient it is for optics at any given time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And also that guy has actually secretly been 47 different edgy teen 4channers the whole time

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

But the problem is the lizard people may or may not be a metaphor for the Jews, depending on how convenient it is for optics at any given time.
Kind of like how gun enthusiasts who fantasize about killing "zombies" in the "apocalypse" sometimes secretly mean "black people" in the "coming race war."

Zoe Quinn today:

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/916106617493495808

And a good thread from Sarah Jeong:

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/916041186124500992

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I still don't get how gamergate was stupid enough to trust an anonymous guy's complaints about his ex.

Like throw away all the stupid retarded poo poo that it also did, who the gently caress has so little experience with human interaction to not recognize normal human bitterness?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

I still don't get how gamergate was stupid enough to trust an anonymous guy's complaints about his ex.

Like throw away all the stupid retarded poo poo that it also did, who the gently caress has so little experience with human interaction to not recognize normal human bitterness?

You're talking about people who made an identity around playing video games rather than go through the minimal effort required to develop a personality.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also keep in mind that "taking completely anonymous people at face value" is basically required behavior if you're more than a casual user of 4chan. Doubly so when they agree with your preconceived notions about :females:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

ikanreed posted:

The actual guy and his complaints never mattered. He was a proxy for them, and Zoe was a proxy for their issues.

Thinking about it, I don't even know who the guy was. Is he still around, riding the alt-right train?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ikanreed posted:

You know

Even if all the original claims of Gamergate were 100% true and Zoe Quinn was an abusive girlfriend who slept with five guys to get good reviews for her free game, it's still something worthy of maybe a week of conversation before everyone just moves on with their lives and forgets about it

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Thats pretty much what I did. I skimmed the original post when it came out and thought "shes an rear end in a top hat, but internet relationship drama is so much fun to read through" and then immediately forgot about it. Like, I read it like most of us would read the /r/relationships thread in GBS.

Then a bunch of men got together to launch a long term harassment campaign against her and various other women and to be honest, she doesn't seem that bad compared to them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

While we're talking about her, quick reminder that she's currently making a goofy FMV adventure game in cooperation with Chuck Tingle

Also that as a kickstarter backer I got a "True Buckaroo" badge coffee mug that I love and cherish :3:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
and in case anyone wondered if gamergate was on topic here

https://twitter.com/coreypein/status/916088405460520960

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

While we're talking about her, quick reminder that she's currently making a goofy FMV adventure game in cooperation with Chuck Tingle

Also that as a kickstarter backer I got a "True Buckaroo" badge coffee mug that I love and cherish :3:

Chuck Tingle not being a milkshake duck is a vitally needed candle of hope in the darkness of internet politics.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chuck Tingle's live coverage of the presidential debates was wonderful. As was his Hugo aware nomination, followed by saying if he won he'd have Quinn accept it for him.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I love Chuck Tingle, and I ask out of love: is he ill? Does he get all the help he needs?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'm pretty sure he's just weird.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

I'm pretty sure he's just weird.

Yeah from everything I've seen coming from the kickstarter and following him on twitter he's pretty functional and normal life-wise and just has a weird sense of humor and loves hot buckaroos enjoying ice cold chocolate milk

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Phew, okay. That's what I always assumed, but the nightmarish possibility that he's actually struggling with something that we're all enabling occurred to me.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Doc Hawkins posted:

I love Chuck Tingle, and I ask out of love: is he ill? Does he get all the help he needs?
I'm pretty sure "Chuck Tingle" is the crazy internet persona of a normal dude who never breaks character, because he doesn't want people he knows in real life to know that he makes money off writing stories like "Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean go through his twitter for a little bit: https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle

He really strikes me as just like, a fairly normal dude that's got a very weird-twitter sense of humor.

e:

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/914249190506618880
https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/914263970193666048

So much for not mixing up personal and public life :v:

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Oct 6, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I totally forgot if I got this article from this thread or another one but I just wanted to bring attention to this bit:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism

quote:

On the 27th, now co-bylined, the story was ready for upper management: Bannon and Larry Solov, Breitbart’s press-shy CEO. It was also ready, on a separate email chain, for another read and round of comments from the white nationalist Saucier, the feudalist Yarvin, the neo-Nazi Weev, and Vox Day.

“I need to go thru this tomorrow in depth…although I do appreciate any piece that mentions evola,” Bannon wrote. On the 29th, in an email titled “steve wants you to read this,” Marlow sent Yiannopoulos a list of edits and notes Bannon had solicited from James Pinkerton, a former Reagan and George H.W. Bush staffer and a contributing editor of the American Conservative. The 59-year-old Pinkerton was put off by a cartoon of Pepe the Frog conducting the Trump Train.

“I love art,” he wrote inline. “I think [Breitbart News Network] needs a lot more of it, but I don’t get the above. Frogs? Kermit? Am I missing something here?”

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Gamergate: loves calling people cucks
Also gamergate: started due to an accusation of a beta being quintuple cucked

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Somfin posted:

A quick reminder about the kind of person Yud is, at heart:

Bayesian logic applies to everything up to and including religion, but not the likelihood of diet and exercise working for me.

There actually is a thing that can cause what Yudkowsky is describing here.

Type 2 diabetes. :rimshot:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gorn Myson posted:

Thats pretty much what I did. I skimmed the original post when it came out and thought "shes an rear end in a top hat, but internet relationship drama is so much fun to read through" and then immediately forgot about it. Like, I read it like most of us would read the /r/relationships thread in GBS.

Then a bunch of men got together to launch a long term harassment campaign against her and various other women and to be honest, she doesn't seem that bad compared to them.

She doesn't seem that bad because she didn't do anything wrong

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The beta version of the replacement for LessWrong https://www.lesserwrong.com/

(The Reddit code they used is so awful that nobody wanted to work on it, and it turned out literally nobody there knew how to work their own site when they wanted to delete the acres of comments about Roko's basilisk.)

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
I haven't read all 440 pages of this thread I just want to know how to make the racist pedophile anime avatar gamers go away. I want to surf the internet in peace; they weren't infesting it like roaches 10 years ago. At worst people just posted dumb poo poo like "long cat is long." Do I have to delete all the video games to make this happen?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Sorry friend, they've always been here. These outbursts are the itching that comes when the scab starts trying to heal itself.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Goon Danton posted:

The actual guy and his complaints never mattered. He was a proxy for them, and Zoe was a proxy for their issues.

Thinking about it, I don't even know who the guy was. Is he still around, riding the alt-right train?

Last I saw he was kicking around the Tumblr-based section of the Less Wrong diaspora, bringing things full circle. His username basically everywhere is/was "antinegationism" if you want to dig.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Last I saw he was kicking around the Tumblr-based section of the Less Wrong diaspora, bringing things full circle. His username basically everywhere is/was "antinegationism" if you want to dig.

Gjoni? Yeah, he knows and is friends with a pile of the rationalists. Because of course he loving is.

Meanwhile, from the dorkier end of the dork enlightenment, we have a GBS thread on the internet culture warriors who always self-own.

divabot has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Oct 8, 2017

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Oh yeah, I found out recently that a friend of a friend had the misfortune of ending up at a party with Yudkowsky, which I guess is just an inevitable outcome when you're friends with Berkeley tech workers. It wasn't too many sentences further into the conversation before the word "deprogramming" came up.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Oh yeah, I found out recently that a friend of a friend had the misfortune of ending up at a party with Yudkowsky, which I guess is just an inevitable outcome when you're friends with Berkeley tech workers. It wasn't too many sentences further into the conversation before the word "deprogramming" came up.

I know you're a couple steps removed so probably don't have more details but I want more details of what it is like to be trapped in whatever passes for small talk for him.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Commissar Kayla posted:

I know you're a couple steps removed so probably don't have more details but I want more details of what it is like to be trapped in whatever passes for small talk for him.

If it is anything like the other rationalists I've met, it is a feat of inhuman will to not roll your eyes so hard you injure yourself.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hate Fibration posted:

If it is anything like the other rationalists I've met, it is a feat of inhuman will to not roll your eyes so hard you injure yourself.

Ten seconds of him scoffing at whatever "interests" you have before posing you an (coughs for effect) interesting question (eyebrow raise) "suppose we lived in a world where paedophilia was

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Somfin posted:

Ten seconds of him scoffing at whatever "interests" you have before posing you an (coughs for effect) interesting question (eyebrow raise) "suppose we lived in a world where paedophilia was

and then

stdh.txt posted:

A woman who had stood nearby, listening to the conversation, said to me gravely, "That was beautiful."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
http://tracinskiletter.com/2016/10/02/a-libertarian-icons-descent-into-racist-pseudoscience/

An article on a libertarian website criticizing Stephan Molyneux. Interesting because it goes into detail about why "scientific" racism is pseudoscience, and also because of this bit:

Stuart Hayashi posted:

Since Freedomain Radio’s founding in 2006, its listeners have tended to be on the young side—in their teens and twenties. Despite later denials to the contrary, online videos document Molyneux telling these fans that if their parents do not support anarchy, it means that their parents do not love them and ought to be disowned completely.

Suddenly the RON PAUL KILL YOUR PARENTS meme makes more sense to me...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
An interesting piece on Mike Enoch: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/16/birth-of-a-white-supremacist

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jesus, the poor family.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Oh boy does that article confirm a whole bunch of my assumptions and biases.

quote:

According to the rules of online debate in the Right Stuff’s “Essential T.R.S. Troll Guide,” which I hadn’t read at the time, Enoch had won our exchange by default, because he had written fewer words and maintained his ironic detachment, whereas I had committed the greatest possible faux pas: letting myself be “triggered” into displaying emotion.

quote:

Mike E. was sent to a series of therapists, who mentioned potential disorders, but nothing definitive. One therapist, instead of giving a diagnosis, said that Mike E. was “as vulnerable as a peeled grape.”

Gradually, he learned to insulate himself with jokes and insults. He was clever, and found strength in contrarianism. His ideology shifted over time, but his approach was always the same: exposing and attacking the flaws in commonplace arguments, often without any sense of proportion. Even when he agreed with someone’s opinion, he still loved to engage in rhetorical battle—not to advance any particular agenda, one of his relatives told me, but “to stir up resentment. He strikes me as someone without a core, who only knows how to oppose and who chooses his positions based on what will be most upsetting to people around him.”

quote:

Within a few years, he started to wonder whether libertarianism was too tepid. After all, its premises pointed toward a starker conclusion: if the state was nothing but a hindrance to freedom, why not abolish the state altogether, leaving only the unfettered market? From there, he went even further. What if you couldn’t account for people’s behavior without considering their cultural background, and even their genetic makeup? “Slapped in the face by the reality of human bio-diversity,” he later wrote, “I had to come to grips with the fact that libertarianism isn’t going to work for everyone, and the people that it isn’t going to work for are going to ruin it for everyone else.” Human biodiversity: the idea that people are different, that they differ in predictable ways, and that some people—not just individuals but groups of people—might be inherently superior to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

McGlockenshire posted:

Oh boy does that article confirm a whole bunch of my assumptions and biases.

Jesus that's some libertarian-to-fascist pipeline right there.

They don't even recognize how their new position competely subverts the one thing they claim to care about in their previous one.