Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Johnny is so insufferable all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Johnny is so insufferable all the time.

He really is. I'm just hitting Waid's run and a major plot point is Johnny having to grow up so maybe it will change? It doesn't seem like he's like that in the newer comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Push El Burrito posted:

He really is. I'm just hitting Waid's run and a major plot point is Johnny having to grow up so maybe it will change? It doesn't seem like he's like that in the newer comics.

"Johnny finally grows up" is one of the half dozen or so Fantastic Four stories that every writer who works on the book wants to do.

(The others are: the definitive Doom story; the definitive Galactus story; replacing one or more member of the team with substitutes; Reed Richards learning to appreciate his family; and Ben coming to terms with being the thing. I suspect there's probably a few other minor ones but those are the biggies.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Johnny finally grows up" is one of the half dozen or so Fantastic Four stories that every writer who works on the book wants to do.

(The others are: the definitive Doom story; the definitive Galactus story; replacing one or more member of the team with substitutes; Reed Richards learning to appreciate his family; and Ben coming to terms with being the thing. I suspect there's probably a few other minor ones but those are the biggies.)

"Sue and Namor have a bunch of Tension" and "Sue finally gets appreciated for being strongest/smartest" is Sue's version.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's strange that this becomes a thing, because Ben very quickly becomes cool being the Thing. Alicia liked his rocky feel, and was weirded out when he went human. He also tells Reed to gently caress off with the changing potions really early on, because he's accepted his fate.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Namor is sketchy" and "loving around with Kree and Skrull politics" are other ones

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They're the b-tier ones. I think they're the ones people will go for when they've done all the ones I mentioned.

Johnny grows up; Ben accepts his Thingness; Reed appreciates his family; ultimate Doom story; ultimate Galactus story; replacement FF member. Those are the big ones. Not every writer hits all of them but most writers get most of them.

I think Simonson is the only one who doesn't really go in for most of them; he just takes the "replacement FF member" to the extreme. This is why Simonson has the second-best FF run after Lee and Kirby.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I'm a sucker for the Ultimate FF4 metanarrative because it cycles through all the above typicals and goes to crazytown after Ultimatum with Sue dumping Reed, Ben turning into Wonderman, and Reed turning into the new pseudo-Doom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Too bad about the art though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

They used the Ultimate origin story for that movie, too. The only comic book movie this decade that makes Batman V Superman look better in comparison.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/unbeatablesg/status/920275788917862401

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lol Jim Davis hasn't drawn anything since the 70s

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Those gags are so incredibly Garfield, I laughed out loud. And the way he draws Silver Surfer...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FAT BATMAN posted:

Those gags are so incredibly Garfield, I laughed out loud. And the way he draws Silver Surfer...

The first one is almost exactly the first Garfield comic

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Phy posted:

The first one is almost exactly the first Garfield comic

Wait, are you saying that Jim Davis is lazily coasting on the strength of his one early success?

THE HELL YOU SAY!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ecavalli posted:

Wait, are you saying that Jim Davis is lazily coasting on the strength of his one early success?

THE HELL YOU SAY!

It's a really fitting recycling of the joke, though. I chuckled.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's a really fitting recycling of the joke, though. I chuckled.

I did too, but I’m a soulless monster.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I finally figured out what it is I like so much about Hollingsworth's colours on Hawkeye, even though I wasn't actually consciously trying to figure it out.

The colours are all flat. No gradients or shading. All shading or shadows are done with inks. It's like old-school comics.

Except the colours draw from an unlimited palette and are usually used realistically, which is modern. I love it. I think it only occurred to me because I've been plowing through some old comics and thinking about how the simpler palettes have something so appealing about them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lobok posted:

I finally figured out what it is I like so much about Hollingsworth's colours on Hawkeye, even though I wasn't actually consciously trying to figure it out.

The colours are all flat. No gradients or shading. All shading or shadows are done with inks. It's like old-school comics.

Except the colours draw from an unlimited palette and are usually used realistically, which is modern. I love it. I think it only occurred to me because I've been plowing through some old comics and thinking about how the simpler palettes have something so appealing about them.
The first OSHC (and maybe the trades?) had a piece from Hollingsworth on the choice of colour palette.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's cool. After a few issues you definitely start to see what he's doing there. The tricky part is choosing the one or two standout colours that define each page. The issue after the one I posted has Kate on the highway in LA and there's this particular yellowish orange that is an incredibly exact tone of skin lit by afternoon sun, with the blue sky balancing out the page.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ecavalli posted:

THE HELL YOU SAY!

Yeah, he makes no secret about it. But whenever he does a side thing like this it's really cool. Garfield: His 9 Lives from the 80s is really amazing, and he officially published Garfield Without Garfield. I wish he did more stuff like that, but he doesn't really need to.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
There have also been some cool Garfield graphic novels:

That reminds me of this Penny Arcade post where Mike talks about meeting Jim Davis, one of his heroes. :shobon:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2012/05/28/the-reubens

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 19, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008

eminkey2003 posted:

That reminds me of this Penny Arcade post where Mike talks about meeting Jim Davis, one of his heroes. :shobon:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2012/05/28/the-reubens

Now he's probably more of a Scott Adams fan, right?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

eminkey2003 posted:

There have also been some cool Garfield graphic novels:

Those are good. They're based on TV specials, which, like Garfield and Friends, were actually trying. Basically, when Davis lets other people do stuff with his creations, it's generally pretty rad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If they were trying they wouldn't have had the orson's farm segments.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lady Lobo
https://twitter.com/toshirou_cva/status/921638341639946240

and some Justice League
https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/921673274139930625

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chris Samnee's been doing amazing Batman daily drawings all month.
https://twitter.com/ChrisSamnee/media
Here's an album with everything so far https://imgur.com/a/CviC1

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One of my favourite Batmobile designs, from 1981.

Wait, '81? Isn't that way too early for this kind of design? Something isn't right...

The Mighty Thor, #309

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And in Simonson's run Thor met an unnamed Clark Kent.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

And in Simonson's run Thor met an unnamed Clark Kent.

Not entirely unnamed. :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My favorite part of that is still the construction foreman figuring out that his new employee, Sigurd Jarlson, is actually Spider-Man!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Lobok posted:

One of my favourite Batmobile designs, from 1981.

Wait, '81? Isn't that way too early for this kind of design? Something isn't right...

The Mighty Thor, #309

This blows my mind that this was in 1981. I associate Leonardi with the late 80's/early 90's and he's being inked and colored by Chic Stone and George Roussos who were cornerstones of early 60s Marvel work. I never thought I'd see a through-like like that in a 1981 Thor comic....

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GPTribefan posted:

This blows my mind that this was in 1981. I associate Leonardi with the late 80's/early 90's and he's being inked and colored by Chic Stone and George Roussos who were cornerstones of early 60s Marvel work. I never thought I'd see a through-like like that in a 1981 Thor comic....

Yeah, his name jumped out at me because there was some work he did here and there on regular Spider-Man that I liked in the DeFalco/Stern era including one issue that was featured in my well-worn Alien Costume Saga* TPB, and then later on was the artist who made Spider-Man 2099 what it was.

You can definitely tell in that Thor issue that it was his early work, though. That splash page is a blast but throughout the issue his faces on people leave a lot to be desired.

*That trade is out of print but to my surprise I was in the book store the other day they now have a two-volume version of the Alien Costume Saga!

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 26, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rick Leonardi is one of the all time greatest Spider-man artists. Amusingly his finest Spider work was done on Spider-man 2099 and not the "proper" Spider-man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He also apparently had some kind of hand in co-creating the symbiote costume, but since Mike Zeck had already created the Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman costume then at most his contribution couldn't have been more than "make the mouth and limbs black, too."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did not know Moebius did Marvel stuff!

Sounds pretty drat awesome. Written by Stan Lee himself.

http://marvel1980s.blogspot.ca/2011/01/1988-silver-surfer-parable.html?m=1

Holy jumping! And the whole thing is on Marvel Unlimited!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lobok posted:

I'm in awe of this page:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lobok posted:

The relative merits of Moebius' Silver Surfer was the subject of a fight that Denzel Washington had to adjudicate in the 1995 submarine thriller CRIMSON TIDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miOpmWYLp-k

(This scene was almost certainly written by Quentin Tarantino, working as an uncredited by very well compensated script doctor)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FMguru posted:

The relative merits of Moebius' Silver Surfer was the subject of a fight that Denzel Washington had to adjudicate in the 1995 submarine thriller CRIMSON TIDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miOpmWYLp-k

(This scene was almost certainly written by Quentin Tarantino, working as an uncredited by very well compensated script doctor)

I do remember that scene. Once I finish the mini-series I will watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lobok posted:

Moebius also did a series of posters for Marvel around when this comic was originally published

It would be cool to have had these become a full comic, looks to be a post-apocalyptic superhero science fantasy