Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

But didn't everyone hate him before he died

Some did, some loved him, they where conflicted. His funeral scene at the end heavily implies they all saw him as a hero after his sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

Some did, some loved him, they where conflicted. His funeral scene at the end heavily implies they all saw him as a hero after his sacrifice.

Must... resist.... urge... to... debate... BvS.... again!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BvS was bad, and Justice League will probably be bad too.

And I'm still going to go see it no matter what.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why are they bringing Gandalf back right after he died in the previous film? It seems like there are no long lasting consequences if they're just going to reverse things immediately.

If Superman's death or return were even half as amazing as Gandalf's then it would definitely blunt my criticism.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Roth posted:

BvS was bad, and Justice League will probably be bad too.

And I'm still going to go see it no matter what.

I'll just see Ragnarok twice instead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gandalfs return was they walk through the forest and kind of just run into him

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They're like whoa it's saruman let's kill him and Gandalf is like nah it's me, let's get tf out of this forest

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Gandalfs return was they walk through the forest and kind of just run into him

man lotr isn't very good is it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His death was pretty metal to be fair

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Gandalf also came back with a higher power level too.

Dying was actually a pretty sweet deal for him when you think about it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Lobok posted:

If Superman's death or return were even half as amazing as Gandalf's then it would definitely blunt my criticism.

Maybe Superman comes back to life and immediately starts to fly toward the battle, but he was still buried so he just burrows halfway around the world in an instant and leaves a giant mole trail like bugs bunny before he pokes his head up at the end.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
"Forgive me, I mistook you for Bizarro."

"I am Bizarro. Or rather Bizarro as he should have been."

"Superman!"

"Superman? Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. The Man of Steel, that was my name."

"Superman!"

"I am Electric Blue Superman. And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fruit on the bottom posted:

"Forgive me, I mistook you for Bizarro."

"I am Bizarro. Or rather Bizarro as he should have been."

"Superman!"

"Superman? Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. The Man of Steel, that was my name."

"Superman!"

"I am Electric Blue Superman. And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide."

Cyborg leans over to Batman, "Blue lightning? Bitch stole the Flash's look!"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Superman flies onto the scene and cracks Batman upside the head with his coffin.

Then leaves while giving everyone the finger.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've never actually read a comic with Supermans Red and Blue, but if they just pulled that out for the movies, that's some dumb bullshit I'd love.

Also, there's no way that's Superman in that hologram Bruce is looking at, right? Unless it turns out that Superman has rocking legs and he's traded in pants for shorts?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
First Thor reports I've seen appear to be pretty upbeat about it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wheat Loaf posted:

First Thor reports I've seen appear to be pretty upbeat about it.

Regardless of the quality of the movie: First reports of any movie that appear are pretty upbeat, since that's how today's embargoes work. You can only tweet something positive for x weeks that's not considered a review.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Decius posted:

Regardless of the quality of the movie: First reports of any movie that appear are pretty upbeat, since that's how today's embargoes work. You can only tweet something positive for x weeks that's not considered a review.

Even so, the embargo lifts two whole weeks before release so I don't think Marvel is worried about bad reviews.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even so, the embargo lifts two whole weeks before release so I don't think Marvel is worried about bad reviews.

Not quite. It starts opening everywhere else in the world October 24th.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
As an American I don't believe in overseas markets.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

As an American I don't believe in overseas markets.

MisterBibs is that you?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ok wow that was a real come to Jesus.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I am sorry, that was uncalled for.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This was posted in CineD, and thought it was interesting

Top was from a previous trailer, bottom is from the last one.

Top one looks gorgeous. The blue and orange complement each other and serve to highlight Diana, and when she lands the fire in the background looks like a holy aura,
The second one looks worse in comparison, but with the ligthningbolts and hellish landscape it has a more oppressive ambiance which I feel is fitting for an alien invasion from hell.

Thoughts?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Ok wow that was a real come to Jesus.

better eat a hot dog to center yourself

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
So I was watching the latest Justice League Trailer and realized... we never get a good shot of "Steppenwolf"'s face, do we?

But who else could have Apokoliptian level strenght to lead an invasion against Earth?

I'm saying that the guy we see fighting the JL is Superman, Steppenwolf might be another, similar looking baddie.

Lurdiak posted:

But didn't everyone hate him before he died

Only the ones who didn't like that he don't smile and say some platitudes while saving people.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

Top was from a previous trailer, bottom is from the last one.

Top one looks gorgeous. The blue and orange complement each other and serve to highlight Diana, and when she lands the fire in the background looks like a holy aura,
The second one looks worse in comparison, but with the ligthningbolts and hellish landscape it has a more oppressive ambiance which I feel is fitting for an alien invasion from hell.

Thoughts?

What do you even want people to comment on here? Your contrarianism?

Kal-L posted:

Only the ones who didn't like that he don't smile and say some platitudes while saving people.

lol this is bullshit and you know it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

What do you even want people to comment on here? Your contrarianism?

lol this is bullshit and you know it

I thought it would be an interesting discussion piece, since there seems to be a lull in the conversation. I'm not quite sure why you got your pants in a bunch over it. Maybe relax, take a step back from the monitor, you seem a bit wound up over internet comments about movies with men in tights.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

I thought it would be an interesting discussion piece, since there seems to be a lull in the conversation. I'm not quite sure why you got your pants in a bunch over it. Maybe relax, take a step back from the monitor, you seem a bit wound up over internet comments about movies with men in tights.

You didn't actually post anything to talk about. You just went "this is cool" which is fine, I suppose, but not really anything to have a discussion over, and a tad bit annoying when you seem to come into this thread primarily to defend movies everyone is sick to death of discussing the relative merits of and trash movies most people seem to actually enjoy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

[quote="“Kal-L”" post="“477267702”"]
So I was watching the latest Justice League Trailer and realized... we never get a good shot of “Steppenwolf”’s face, do we?

But who else could have Apokoliptian level strenght to lead an invasion against Earth?

I’m saying that the guy we see fighting the JL is Superman, Steppenwolf might be another, similar looking baddie.

Only the ones who didn’t like that he don’t smile and say some platitudes while saving people.
[/quote]
There's one shot where you can kind of see Steppenwolf's face but it's partially obscured

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

You didn't actually post anything to talk about. You just went "this is cool" which is fine, I suppose, but not really anything to have a discussion over, and a tad bit annoying when you seem to come into this thread primarily to defend movies everyone is sick to death of discussing the relative merits of and trash movies most people seem to actually enjoy.

There's actually a great deal to discuss if one are actually interested. You can discuss colors, contrast, ambiance, sfx,, composition what looks better in motion etc etc.
The problem you have is that you are either not interested, or angry at me because you're so insecure that me criticizing the movies you like makes you upset, or more likely a combination of both. The fact that you are "annoyed" with me and for discussing superhero movies in the superhero movie threads is rather telling. Note also, I am actively steering clear of discussing BvS, specifically because it derails conversations. If you have a problem with me specifically, report me, put me on ignore or take it to PM's.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

McCloud posted:

I thought it would be an interesting discussion piece, since there seems to be a lull in the conversation. I'm not quite sure why you got your pants in a bunch over it. Maybe relax, take a step back from the monitor, you seem a bit wound up over internet comments about movies with men in hexagon-pattern body armor.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

McCloud posted:

Thoughts?

Please keep CineD poo poo in CineD.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The real reason is that I both do not really care about color grading and this thread, traditionally, has not been much of a place to have those kinds of discussions, whether it's because other people don't care or don't know about it or whatever. Like, if I'm gonna be totally honest? CineD is a much better place to have that kind of discussion than here, and if you're taking that to mean you shouldn't post here at all, that's not what I mean either. There you're gonna get people who actually have capital-O Opinions about that kinda stuff that goes beyond the very surface-level "looks cool." Like, my two Superhero Movie Color Opinions are that DC movies are too loving blue and halfheartedly agreeing whenever someone posts that Marvel films look kinda bland. I can only speak for myself obviously, but I'm not equipped to talk about that stuff. It's part of why I stay in this thread instead of that one; it's just not what this thread is really for.

also I think both of those clips look kinda bad

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If people prefer that this thread remain a more relaxed place to discuss hero tights hexagon-pattern body armor, that's fair, I just figured some folks here might find such a discussion interesting, and because i'm legit interested in others opinion as I see merits with both clips. If folks prefer that sort of stuff not be posted, I'll refrain in the future

McCloud fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 11, 2017

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I personally don't see a reason why that kind of thing can't be discussed, if you want to discuss it and mods don't object, but I agree with Arist that the discussion probably won't get far. Part of that is due to lack of knowledge of the craft, and part of it is that, devoid of context, it's hard to properly judge the two clips. Like, obviously it's an action scene during an alien invasion, but without knowing more details of the plot, the character's motives and goals, and the themes of the movie, we can't really say whether a dark blue gradient or a blood red gradient fit the scene better.

I also agree with Arist that, devoid of context, the scene just doesn't look that interesting either way. It's a generic action scene, using too much cgi, mostly obscured by motion blur, poor lighting, and lack of contrast. Maybe it will be serviceable in the final film, but as a short clip, it's just kind of there, not leaving much impression either way. If I had to pick one that's better, I guess I'd pick the blue one, but only because making everything shades of red makes the contrast issue even worse.

That's my amateur, armchair critic/cinematographer take on it. I would be surprised if anyone could offer anything better, and fear any attempt to do so may cause the poster to disappear up their own rear end.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

Please keep CineD poo poo in CineD.

Keep superhero movie gifs out of this thread

McCloud,

I like the stylization of the red coloring, but it takes away a lot of the contrast the original has. I also don't get why the move WW's shadow from the front to the back. When it's in front it creates a neat silhouette with the bright light shining behind her. I'll need to see the harvester or w/e the gently caress it's called in motion a bit more, I kind of like the organic feel of it taking over the buildings but it's not very unique.

glitchwraith posted:

I personally don't see a reason why that kind of thing can't be discussed, if you want to discuss it and mods don't object, but I agree with Arist that the discussion probably won't get far. Part of that is due to lack of knowledge of the craft, and part of it is that, devoid of context, it's hard to properly judge the two clips. Like, obviously it's an action scene during an alien invasion, but without knowing more details of the plot, the character's motives and goals, and the themes of the movie, we can't really say whether a dark blue gradient or a blood red gradient fit the scene better.

I also agree with Arist that, devoid of context, the scene just doesn't look that interesting either way. It's a generic action scene, using too much cgi, mostly obscured by motion blur, poor lighting, and lack of contrast. Maybe it will be serviceable in the final film, but as a short clip, it's just kind of there, not leaving much impression either way. If I had to pick one that's better, I guess I'd pick the blue one, but only because making everything shades of red makes the contrast issue even worse.

That's my amateur, armchair critic/cinematographer take on it. I would be surprised if anyone could offer anything better, and fear any attempt to do so may cause the poster to disappear up their own rear end.

If the rumors are true the red coloring makes sense for another attempt to re-terraform earth, this time into a hellish landscape.

As an unfinished fx shot it still needs some rendering time.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 11, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:ohdear:

I love DCCU truthers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a troll trying to make people who like DC movies look bad on purpose, just like the one who started the petition to close rt or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's a troll trying to make people who like DC movies look bad on purpose, just like the one who started the petition to close rt or whatever

whatever you say dc truther

• Locked thread