Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Probably a ton of schools. Ron Turner, Ron Zook, Tim Beckman, Bill Cubit, that's just this century. Koenning might count too but he was just interim for a bowl game.

"A ton of schools" is not the correct answer for "I wonder who has the most"

Randaconda posted:

Has any coach from Saban's tree did really good, though? (Besides Jimbo, obviously)

Kirby lookin pretty good but it's still early on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joey Freshwater posted:

Kirby lookin pretty good but it's still early on him.

they're all tied, you see

seriously though Illinois since 78 had
Moeller - I think he was fired? 6 wins in 3 years
Mike white- resigned under NCAA investigation
Mackovick- went to Texas.
Tepper-fired
Turner- fired
Zook-fired
Koenning- was interim, let go, not sure if counts
Beckman-fired
Cubit-fired

so 6 firings , 1 resignation before getting fired and an interim one gone. so 8 at most, 6 at least.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 10, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Randaconda posted:

Has any coach from Saban's tree did really good, though? (Besides Jimbo, obviously)

Dantonio didn't get hired directly from Saban's team but his scheme and style of play is a lot more heavily influenced by his time with Saban than it was by Tressell.

Calling Kiffin a Saban assistant is true but only kinda, it was three years where by all accounts they fought constantly, I don't think he absorbed a lot. I do agree that he's probably a lovely head coach, although he's doing fine at FAU (in a complete tire fire of a conference)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

As a random stab for a guess from 1978 on:

KU Football, I'm assuming they were fired if they didn't coach again until we get to when I know if they were fired or not:

Bud Moore: went 17-27-1 from 1975-1978
Don Fambrough who earlier coached Kansas: 1971-1974, then 1979-1982. 36-49-5 overall. As an aside Fambrough is the guy who would come in to give a speech tell lies about the state of Missouri every year until he died.
Bob Valesente: 1986-87, 4-17-1
Terry Allen: 1997-2001, 20-33
Mark Mangino: 2002-2009, 50-48. Insert Orange bowl picture here
Turner Gill: 2010-2011, 5-19. The beginning of modern Kansas Football
Charlie Weis: 2012-2014, 6-22.
(slightly preemptive) David Beatty: 3-26.

So that's 7 or 8 for KU, however you want to count it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Joey Freshwater posted:

I wonder who has had most head coach firings in this time, if we limit it to P5 teams.

Tennessee has 3, likely soon to be 4.

Johnny Majors was HC in 1978, started in 77' though. Was "forced to resign" in '92 so I'll count that as firing.
Phil Fulmer was there '92-08 and fired for Kiffin
Kiffin left of his own accord (bastard)
Dooley fired in '12
Butch likely won't last the season.

Texas A&M has fired 6 since 1978

Emory Ballard (1972-78, 52-28-1) FIRED - good, not good enough
Tom Wilson (1978-81, 17-17) FIRED - sucked
Jackie Sherrill (1982-88, 52-29) FIRED - great, nearly got program the death penalty
R.C. Slocum (1989-2002, 123-47-2) FIRED - good, not good enough
Dennis Franchione (2003-2007, 32-28) FIRED - sucked
Mike Sherman (2008-2011, 25-25) FIRED - built a god-tier offensive line, but still sucked

Kevin Sumlin (2012-, 44-21) ????

Fun Facts:
The last Texas A&M coach whose tenure wasn't ended by firing or resignation under pressure was Bear Bryant in 1957.

The last head coach to retire at A&M was Homer Norton (coached from 1934 to 1947).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 10, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech's has been:

Rex Dockery (Fired after 3 seasons)
Jerry Moore (Fired after 5 seasons)
David McWilliams (Jumped to UT after 1 season at TTU)
Spike Dykes (Fired after 13 seasons of Dykesian mediocrity)
Mike Leach (Fired because he told the Chancellor to gently caress off)
(Interim) Ruffin McNeill (Should have been retained)
Tommy Tuberville (Would have been fired had he not jumped to Cincinatti)
(Interim) Chris Thomsen (Not retained)
Kliff Kingsbury (In his 5th season)

So I'm going to claim Tuberville was fired (since he was going to be the next season, no doubt), but that makes it just 5 firings, with one begin after 13 years, another after 9 years.

The 4 coaches that have purposefully left Texas Tech to go coach at other schools (Carlen, Sloan, McWilliams, and Tuberville) were each fired for poor results at their next stop, though they all lasted at least 4 seasons and Jim Carlen made it 8.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Since 1978 UF has fired:

Dickey 78
Pell 84 (resigned bc of NCAA investigation, does that count?)
Hall 89 (forced resignation)
Zook 04
Muschamp 14

Mac looks like he's on the way if he doesn't make some big changes next year.

That feels like a lot at a place like UF, considering Spurrier was there for 12 years, and Meyer coached 6 before retiring.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Solich, Callahan, Pelini. Soon to be a fourth???

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Including 1977-78, Miami has had:

Lou Saban 77-78(Fired for stating: "Getting thrown in the lake? Sounds like fun to me" after three football players threw a jew in a lake)

Howard Schnellenberger 79-83(Left to go to the USFL. OOPS)

Jimmy Johnson 84-88 (Left to go to the NFL)

Dennis Erickson 89-94 (Left to go to the NFL and to escape sanctions)

Butch Davis 95-00 (Left to go to the browns in the worst career move possible)

Larry Coker 01-06 (Fired for being the worst championship winning "coach" of all time)

Randy Shannon 07-10 (Fired for being a terrible head coach, including blaming "the long walk from the locker room to the field" in his loss to Duke)

Jeff Stoutland: INTERIM (LOST IN SUNBOWL AND MADE AL GOLDEN SAY WE LOOKED SOFT)

Al Golden 11-15 (Fired for being terrible. Fans still consider flying FIRE AL GOLDEN planes at Lions games since he's the TE coach there)

Larry Scott: INTERIM COACH (Allowed a half back pass in the snow in a bowl game.)

Mark Richt: 16-current (probably good?????)

So we've had 4 full time coach firings, a couple interim coaches that didn't stand a chance, and a bunch of people that went to the NFL.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Barfield fired, Dye "retired" as the NCAA hammer came down, Bowden fired, Tuberville officially resigned but you can count it, Chizik fired.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Tech's has been:

Rex Dockery (Fired after 3 seasons)
Jerry Moore (Fired after 5 seasons)
David McWilliams (Jumped to UT after 1 season at TTU)
Spike Dykes (Fired after 13 seasons of Dykesian mediocrity)
Mike Leach (Fired because he told the Chancellor to gently caress off)
(Interim) Ruffin McNeill (Should have been retained)
Tommy Tuberville (Would have been fired had he not jumped to Cincinatti)
(Interim) Chris Thomsen (Not retained)
Kliff Kingsbury (In his 5th season)

So I'm going to claim Tuberville was fired (since he was going to be the next season, no doubt), but that makes it just 5 firings, with one begin after 13 years, another after 9 years.

The 4 coaches that have purposefully left Texas Tech to go coach at other schools (Carlen, Sloan, McWilliams, and Tuberville) were each fired for poor results at their next stop, though they all lasted at least 4 seasons and Jim Carlen made it 8.

Didn't Dykes "retire"?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Neil Armbong posted:

You missed the hypothetical situation, dawg.

Yeah I figured that out after posting, lol.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Didn't Dykes "retire"?

Yeah, but it was an encouraged retirement.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Butts- retired to focus on being AD (he was both for decades)

Griffith- fired

Dooley- retired to focus on being AD (he was both for decades)

Goff- fired

Donnan- fired

Richt- fired, mas o menos

Everyone before that was the era where you'd have a different coach every other year except the ones that now have buildings named after 'em.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

Dooley- retired to focus on being AD (he was both for decades)

Even though I know this is the good Dooley it still made me twitch

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

Don Fambrough who earlier coached Kansas: 1971-1974, then 1979-1982. 36-49-5 overall. As an aside Fambrough is the guy who would come in to give a speech tell lies about the state of Missouri every year until he died.

lol I lived next to the stadium when I was in Lawrence and they named a loving street after a guy who went 36-49-5???

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll do Washington

Don James, 1975-92 (resigned after NCAA investigation. Still beloved in the area despite an ugly falling-out at the time. Passed away in 2013)
Jim Lambright, 1993-98 (fired after run of mediocrity aka Not Don James. Don't be the guy who has to follow The Guy!)
Rick Neuheisel, 1999-2002 (fired after that whole gambling investigation/incompetent AD/general shitshow)
Keith Gilbertson, 2003-04 (I'll admit, I totally forgot about this guy, Anyway, he got fired for sucking)
Ty Willingham, 2005-08 (ahahahaha this guy loving sucked. Fired after 0-12 season)
Steve Sarkisian, 2009-13 (somehow not fired, jumped to the USC job and we immediately upgraded with Petersen)
Chris Petersen, 2014-present (pretty drat good, if I say so myself)

Benne fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 10, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Andersen story gets a lot stranger. John Canzano of the Oregonian published texts Andersen sent him after games (with Andersen's permission). The texts absolutely shred his staff.

quote:

Andersen (Sept. 4): "Self promoting... that's what this business has become!!... That's the biggest reason I am not long for this (expletive)!! Kids are a second thought or third or fourth!!"

Andersen (Sept. 20): "I hired the wrong (expletive) guys and are still working our way through a bunch of recruiting years that stunk!! It's year three! If these (expletives) can't get it right I will not just say fire them and start over!! That's not the way to go about it. If I (expletive) it up that bad I will take the bullet and ride off into the sunset! I will stay old school!! I will not die doing this (expletive)!! Stay tuned!"

Andersen (Sept. 24): "Need five graduate transfers in this class!!... I am in a good spot. Got a lot of '(expletive) everything' in me and that's when I am at my best!! Staff understands their (expletive) is on a short rope!! We are not great today but I expect to be better as we move forward this season!! I like this fight!"

Andersen (Oct. 1): "I could give a flying (expletive) about natives! I have not looked or listened to any of that (expletive) good or bad... My plan won't change. Coach my (expletive) off for these kids seven more times!! They will get all I got!! ... I will grind for these fans they deserve that!!!"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
God drat, Oregon State was a bigger shitshow than I thought

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Yeah, but it was an encouraged retirement.

That's almost every retirement though, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and grant him a "not fired".

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That is beyond weird.

Mike Riley got out for a reason I guess.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LSU

Charles McLendon (1962-79) - retired
Bo Rein (December 1979-January 1980) - died in plane crash
Jerry Stovall (1980-83) - fired
Bill Arnsparger (1984-86) - resigned to become Florida AD; 26-8-2 record
Mike Archer (1987-90) - forced to resign
Curley Hallman (1991-94) - fired
Gerry DiNardo (1995-99) - fired
Hal Hunter (1999) - interim; coached bowl game
Nick Saban (2000-04) - Fled for NFL
Les Miles (2005-16) - Fired
Ed Orgeron (2016-) Will be fired eventually

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

RC and Moon Pie posted:

LSU
Ed Orgeron (2016-) Will be fired eventually

Hey now, don't count out the possibility of his heart exploding after his 9th Red Bull of the day.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Hey now, don't count out the possibility of his heart exploding after his 9th Red Bull of the day.

I'm convinced he's got a peg tube with liquefied gumbo running 24/7.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers:

1973-1983: Frank Burns - A pretty good FCS coach. Played a FCS schedule for half of his tenure, but had 0 resources to work with. Half fired half retired
1984-1989: Dick Anderson - An ok coach who was a bad recruiter. Fired
1990-1995: Doug Graber - A solid coach who had horrible team discipline. He could have been very successful if so many players didn't fail out or get kicked off the team, he was signing top 25 recruiting classes. Fired
1996-2000: Terry Shea - Utterly inept in all ways. Fired
2001-2011: Greg Schiano - A great program builder and recruiter who can't coach to save his life, so, uh, congrats Tennessee? He runs a clean program though. (I'd bet on him being the New England DC next year though...) Left for the NFL in hilarious fashion
2012-2015: Kyle Flood - I truly hate this man. Fired
2016-: Chris Ash - Has done well at the program building piece, but has made a LOT of mistakes so far. Not fair to judge him until next year, but starting to get restless. At least our players are going to class and not getting arrested every week like they were under Flood.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 13, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

Even though I know this is the good Dooley it still made me twitch

FWIW the Good Dooley was pretty bad at the AD thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Ohio State: The board of trustee’s approved an 8% raise ($430,000) for Urban Meyer, according to Steve Berkowitz. Urban’s contract calls for a 6% raise annually, which would have totaled $320,000. The bump brings his annual compensation to just over $6.4 million for 2017.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But we can't afford to give 4300 dollars to student athletes.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

gently caress it I'll do Mizzou

--Dan Devine: '58-'70, 93-37-7. hired to replace some guy named Broyles who went to Arkansas. shoulda won the national title in '60 but loving Kansas. took Mizzou to a fair few bowl games and did well. went to the Green Bay Packers to be the guy who replaced The Guy.

--Al Onofrio: '71-'77, 20-29. this was when the Tigers would beat Alabama or Ohio State away one week and lose at home to Colorado the next. quite literally fired for "failure to beat Kansas". didn't coach again.

--Warren Powers: '78-'84, 46-33-3. a bit controversial because he played his college ball at Nebraska but beating the Huskers in his first season did a lot to change minds. recruited Kellen Winslow and his Tigers did well in bowls and held their own in a Big 8 where the best you could finish was 3rd, because this was when Nebraska and Oklahoma were absurd under Dr. Tom/Barry Switzer. retired.

--Woody Wiedenhofer: '85-'88, 12-31-1. came in with a ton of hype because he was both a TRUE SON® and on staff/D-coord for the Steel Curtain. problem is the success of the '70s Steelers defense was less his scheme and more their steroids. sucked (though he was hampered by then-chancellor Babs Uehling, who wanted to increase admission standards for football players to make us "the Stanford of the Big 8" in her words), went to Vanderbilt, and sucked there.

--Bob Stull: '89-'93, 15-38-2. did okay at UTEP before, which then as now is a tough place to coach/recruit. faced the same academic restrictions as Woody with similar results, though his biggest thing was running a more open offense--his OC was Dirk Koetter, who went afterwards to Boise State and started that whole thing. went into athletic administration after getting fired, and was UTEP's AD for a while. still hates and won't forgive Bill McCartney no matter how many loving Promise Keepers things the latter man does.

--Larry Smith: '94-2000, 33-46-1. also had a ton of hype because he was at USC before Mizzou and wasn't half bad there, although he did tail off towards the end of his tenure (this was also when UCLA started the eight-game City Championship winning streak). his teams had the first winning seasons/bowl bids since '83: I was at the game in '97 against Baylor when they won and punched their ticket to the Holiday Bowl, and I'm still pissed my dad wouldn't let me rush the field. also, gently caress you Matt Davison. like at 'SC he tailed off towards the end of his time there, but that was because he had also been diagnosed with leukemia and thus had other things on his mind. half-fired, half-retired.

--Gary Pinkel: 2001-2015, 118-73. did a good job at Toledo but a lot of people were angry we didn't hire Jim Tressel over him, and for the first few years of their respective times it seemed like the pro-Sweatervest crowd was right and we were doing things like getting ranked then immediately losing at Troy. then came the '05 Independence Bowl, when Mizzou brawled their way back against OBC's South Carolina to win, and it was all great from there. beating Nebraska multiple times On A Cold Wet Night In Columbia, Daniel-to-Maclin, SPOOOOOOOOON, Sod Reesing, Sod Reesing II: The Firing, The Moe Miracle, D-Line-Zou, those Cotton Bowl wins, recruiting pipelines and increased support state- and nation-wide...all his doing. then it all started crumbling in 2015 with the team strike/CS1950 protests and the announcement that he had been diagnosed with cancer. retired with his head held high.

--Barry Odom: 2016-now, lovely. he's Kim Anderson in a headset, a TRUE SON® hired by our lovely old AD to appease old geezers in loving Cooter, MO that their team wasn't being controlled by "the Canadians". admittedly many of the problems he has (like declining enrollment and funding) aren't his fault and are more because Clay Travis and Barstool Sports still bang on about "safe spaces" two years after the protests/strike and kids are loving morons who prefer these days to go to Southwest Missouri State, but he's going to gently caress up the best in-state recruiting class in memory while Kirk Ferentz of all people will be the beneficiary, plus he ran off Kul. if he's not fired soon by the new AD he should be. gently caress him.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 11, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Just a reminder: if you're gonna do this, you gotta actually count how many of those coaches were fired or at least "fired"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Widenhofer, Stull and Smith were fired post '78 for Mizzou I believe (Smith was diagnosed with leukemia in his last year and half retired, I wonder if he ever got himself an internet? But he would have been fired anyway). And Odom will be, so that's soon to be 4 I guess.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
You really wanna see Purdue?

Jim Young ('77-'81)- 38-19-1 was a pretty drat good coach, forced out after some Drama that involved someone thinking that the DC was the best coach on the team. Had a pretty good run as the head coach at Army after leaving Purdue. - Back Door Fired
Leon Burtnett ('82-'86) 21-34-1 Not a very good coach, despite being the DC that they feared would leave after '81. Had Scott Campbell and Jim Everett as QB's and Rod Woodson on defense and still managed to suck most of the time - Fired
Fred Akers ('87-'90) 12-31-1 - We don't talk about this. I was a student for part of this, someone chalked on all sidewalks on campus with "Fire Fred" and "Texas was smart." - Fired three years too late
Jim Colletto ('91-'96) 21-42-3 - Nobody could play to lose like Jim. Had Mike Alstott for most of his run and still managed to suck hard. Example #1 of Morgan Burke's perverse fascination with Ohio State. Didn't feel good and resigned to not get fired
Joe Tiller ('97-'08) 87-62 - Golden Years! It turns out Tiller had some rare metabolic disorder that caused chronic pain and heart disease and he never said a loving word, just worked his rear end off - Fire-tired to avoid Paul Chryst
Danny Hope ('09-'12) 22-27 - A good coach with a lovely deal and terrible assistants. His teams had tons of speed but often played brain dead and turnover happy. Had wacky wins over Ohio State and at Michigan but then would poo poo the bead against Illinois. Fired

Purdue suspended football from 2012-2016, there were rumors that some weirdo with a perfectly curved hat ran some intramural scrimmages against other big ten teams, but I don't know of anyone who saw football at Purdue during this time - Shot out of a cannon into the sun

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Danny Hope had a fantastic mustache.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michigan State:

Darryl Rogers (1976-1979): Left for the Arizona State job
Muddy Waters (1980-82): Fired before last game of the season, but carried off the field by his lovely players (including Morten Andersen) after a loss
George Perles (1983-94): One of our best coaches, but fired for NCAA violations. Now serves on the board of trustees.
Nick Saban (1994-99): Left for LSU
Bobby Williams (2000-02): Fired his rear end mid-season
Morris Watts: 2002 interim
John L. Smith (2003-06): Went 8-5, then had three straight losing seasons and was fired
Mark Dantonio (2007-present): Greatest coach in program history. Hot seat rumors have dissipated after 4-1 start. Only getting fired if off field issues mount.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

DJExile posted:

Danny Hope had a fantastic mustache.

The last picture I saw of him, he'd grown shoulder length hair as well.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

a wise guy, see posted:

"Getting thrown in the lake? Sounds like fun to me" after three football players threw a jew in a lake)

Lmao

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Was looking into Houston's fired coaches and found this bit about Kim Helton -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/houston-fires-football-coach/

quote:

After reverting to a pair of 3-8 seasons, Houston again went 7-4 this year and finished with consecutive victories over Tulane, Louisiana State and Army. The Cougars finished sixth in Conference USA with a 3-3 record.

"Beating LSU used to be pretty good, but they just happened to be down this year," Helton said. "I'm very proud of this football team."

Fortunately, his son Clay is way better.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The only Penn State coach that's been fired for the last 65 years is Joe Paterno.

edit: I just got an alert on my CBS sports app that Penn State officials are preparing for Texas A&M to make a run at hiring James Franklin. Probably just CBS stirring the SEC pot, but James Franklin ain't gonna take that job. It's not even a lateral move. But I'm sure he'll take the pay raise.

Komet fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 12, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This sounds like Franklin's agent just pulling stuff out of his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

General Dog posted:

This sounds like Franklin's agent just pulling stuff out of his rear end.

For what reason? Franklin got an extension last season through 2022 and he's already one of the highest paid coaches in college football.

• Locked thread