Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings continue their yearly tradition of signing David Stockton to the Bighorns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jota posted:

actually i didn't pay anything at all. this footage was free on twitter

Yeah they give away this crap footage for free but you have to pay up if you want to see him work out while guarded by short fat white guys.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WhyteRyce posted:

Kings continue their yearly tradition of signing David Stockton to the Bighorns

They just A Clockwork Orange the footage of CWebb leveling John Stockton.

Part of Vivek's NBA 3.0 move - convince you the team is above your father

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This year's Spurs team might actually end up kinda deeper and improved in a lot of ways. Lot of shooters on the team, lot more space, Pau was great from beyond the arc last year and I expect LMA to shoot more 3s too. Like what I've seen of Rudy Gay and even Joffrey Lauvergne, preseason sample size aside, which just goes to show Pop is still the best in the league at getting the most out of players.

quote:

Always fascinated by some of the things that run through Pop's mind. He was asked earlier tonight about whether he thought today's technology possibly inhibited a coach's ability to build teams. Here's Pop's answer: "I don't worry about technology in that regard as far as team building. I worry about it in the world, for instance. I was listening to a TED Talk the other night. I can't remember the individual, but he was pulling for more human upgrade rather than technological upgrade. He said that we've done enough upgrades. It doesn't do anything. We need an upgrade as human beings. He talked about what that means. It's concern, empathy, and love and all that kind of thing that until we get that upgrade, we're doomed for all this tribalism and everything we're doing now. And dependence on all these things [such as technology], they don't do anything to help us as a race; as a human race. I'll stop there."

Kawhi will be fine and it'll be fun watching him prove (yet again and again as he's done before) how much better he is than PG13

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pop is the Anarcho-primitivist hero we need to finally break through the silicon valley powered disruption of basketball

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid's five-year, $146.5 million maximum extension is essentially guaranteed but protects the franchise financially should Embiid suffer a contractually specific catastrophic injury, league sources told ESPN.

Embiid, 23, signed the rookie-scale max extension Tuesday, with the $146.5 million total for the deal based on the NBA's new salary cap projections for the 2018-19 season.
For the Sixers to curb the ultimate value of the extension, it would take the triggering of several severe circumstances detailed in a 35-page-plus contract. Embiid's unique career trajectory -- missing his first two NBA seasons with successive foot surgeries and playing only 31 games in the 2016-17 season -- created a pathway for Philadelphia general manager Bryan Colangelo; Embiid's agent, Leon Rose of CAA Sports; and the National Basketball Players Association to work together on creating a complicated and creative contractual agreement. The dramatic impact of Embiid's brief but dominant debut season left him as the only rookie since Wilt Chamberlain to average at least 28.7 points per 36 minutes played.

Here's how a perfect storm of calamity would have to unfold for Embiid to earn any less than the full $146.5 million: Across each of the final four seasons of the extension, ending with the 2022-23 season, the 76ers could waive Embiid for a financial benefit if he's lost because of a contractually agreed-upon injury that causes him to miss 25 or more regular-season games and if he plays less than 1,650 minutes, league sources said.

Specific injuries are laid out in the contract and include only past problem areas with Embiid's feet and back, sources said. ]Embiid has to miss 25 or more regular-season games because of injuries in those areas, and play less than 1,650 minutes, for Philadelphia to have the option of releasing him for cost savings.

For example, if Embiid hypothetically suffered a serious knee or wrist injury -- something outside the contractual language surrounding the feet and back -- the 76ers would have no avenue to waive Embiid to reclaim any portion of his salary. And given Embiid's rare talent, there's a belief that he'd have to suffer a career-ending injury to inspire the 76ers to release him.

If Embiid met that narrow criteria and the Sixers decided to waive him after the 2018-19 season, he would receive $84.2 million of his full contract; $98.2 million after the 2019-20 season; $113.3 million after the 2020-21 season; and $129.4 million after the 2021-22 season.

What's more, if Embiid played a minimum of 1,650 regular-season minutes in three consecutive years during the extension, or three out of four including the 2017-18 season, those benchmarks would eliminate the possibility of a reduction in the contract, league sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...strophic-injury
http://es.pn/2y81h19

That's super team friendly imho. 1650 minutes is about 55 games .

I wonder if knee injuries are included . Does not look like they are .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also 2nd and 3ed team all nba and DPOY doesn't get him to 30%

He has to get MVP or 1st team all NBA to get 30%

Very team friendly .

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can they just not play him a lot of minutes (even if he's healthy) if they want to get rid of him at some point? How does that work?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That would be a major problem on many fronts and would lead to a grievance .

However the coach would never do that as he is by far and away their best player .

In my opinion .

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

RCarr posted:

Can they just not play him a lot of minutes (even if he's healthy) if they want to get rid of him at some point? How does that work?

Michelle Roberts would be laughing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RCarr posted:

It's 35 pages, so it probably requires independent doctors to concur with the diagnoses of the specific injury location. More likely would be a Chris Bosh situation where the player wants to play but most doctors say no.

But if they don't want to pay him they could just not give him the contract. I'm pretty sure the 76ers will be happy if he is able to play over 55 games.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

Also 2nd and 3ed team all nba and DPOY doesn't get him to 30%

He has to get MVP or 1st team all NBA to get 30%

Very team friendly .

OTOH, it's a max scale contract to a guy who never played more than 30 minutes in a game, and who could very realistically be damaged goods next year, making exploring the free agency a risky proposition for him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's played over 30 mins but yeah there is risk on both sides .

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

That Kevman story is super cool, and I'm looking forward the reading the article.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

most doctors say no.

In the past few years I started wondering about ringside boxers for boxing matches and why every contest isn't called the very instant the ref asks for an opinion. Seems to me like there's no way it isn't a violation of the Hippocratic Oath, "as the doctor here I think it's perfectly fine for you to continue getting punched in the head by a professional athlete"

They must have completely different standards for patient well-being. They're bad doctors. I guess Mirza went to a ringside doctor and Bosh went to a normal one, since they had the same condition and all

Edit:

big boi posted:

That Kevman story is super cool, and I'm looking forward the reading the article.
Yeah!

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 11, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://streamable.com/ojk00

https://streamable.com/2100n

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was watching OKC last night and I realized OKC fans might not know Melo is the most foul-mouthed rebounder in the league. Prepare yourselfs for nonstop "OH poo poo" and "GET THE gently caress OUTTA HERE"s on the net mics

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Oo someone made a compilation

https://streamable.com/pg1ec

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Who in the NBA would be the most fun to do steroids with?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lebron imho

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Embiid is probably the guy it's most fun to do anything with, so him

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Brolander posted:

in my furtively drawn secret sex art nba players are all anthropomorphized tanks and planes

To me they're trains and buildings

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EvanTH posted:

I was watching OKC last night and I realized OKC fans might not know Melo is the most foul-mouthed rebounder in the league. Prepare yourselfs for nonstop "OH poo poo" and "GET THE gently caress OUTTA HERE"s on the net mics

Channing Frye gets picked up a lot cursing too

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/917961576350699520

:thunk:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
(Explains joke)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LeBron's masterful use of the parenthetical gloss, he should put that in RapGenius

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The complete opposite of the perfect "U BUM" tweet. Erase this poo poo immediately "Chrysler" LeBron

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

Dwight Howard

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...arcuterie-board

In which we learn about the fun backstory of the birth of the Warriors offensive scheme and also doxx the Kevman

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Of course his name is Kevin.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

The complete opposite of the perfect "U BUM" tweet. Erase this poo poo immediately "Chrysler" LeBron (Chrysler LeBaron)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

misdirectomy posted:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...arcuterie-board

In which we learn about the fun backstory of the birth of the Warriors offensive scheme and also doxx the Kevman

excellent read.

gently caress the warriors.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

EvanTH posted:

this has been an unexpected delight so far. Last night Carmelo grabbed a rebound from Jamal Murray demanded he get the gently caress out. Murray flinched as he ran up the court.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm a bit worried about my Good Bosnian Boy Jusuf Nurkic. Out tonight with a concussion and seemed to have a remarkable ability to get dinged up in mundane ways during the preseason.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

vaginal facsimile posted:

They are all on steroids op

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Metapod posted:

They are all on steroids op

That doesn't answer his question!!!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

leftist heap posted:

I'm a bit worried about my Good Bosnian Boy Jusuf Nurkic. Out tonight with a concussion and seemed to have a remarkable ability to get dinged up in mundane ways during the preseason.

That's how he's been for his entire career, unfortunately. You can expect 65 games out of him

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

grandfather lebron's first time online

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

this has been an unexpected delight so far. Last night Carmelo grabbed a rebound from Jamal Murray demanded he get the gently caress out. Murray flinched as he ran up the court.

he can tuck a lot of syllables in quick. My all-time favorite was during the Olympics was where he managed to get
OH poo poo I GOT IT GET THE gently caress OUTTA HERE K-LOVE
into the speaking space of one rebound

playoffs are bullshit they put a delay on the sound and mute stuff out

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 11, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

he can tuck a lot of syllables in quick. My all-time favorite was during the Olympics was where he managed to get
OH poo poo I GOT IT GET THE gently caress OUTTA HERE K-LOVE
into the speaking space of one rebound

Carmelo is the guy they based all those basketball anime clips on where they have long conversations while a shot is in the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Channing Frye gets picked up a lot cursing too

"OH poo poo"

• Locked thread