Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

26th October!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-11-total-war-warhammers-ambitious-mortal-empires-arrives-this-month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

awesome, i expected november sometime.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do you counter monsters, especially dinos, as HEs? If the enemy only has one or two melee murderbeasts I can usually focus fire them down well enough, but the Lizardmen tend to bring 4 or more dinos and the last time I pointed all my archers at a stegadon, it smashed through my lines and ate my Loremaster before it's health bar went down at all.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Dwarf changes look amazing. I'm excited about the improved irondrakes gaining knock back, larger unit size, ap damage, and morale debuffs. Artillery being improved is also very nice.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

LLSix posted:

How do you counter monsters, especially dinos, as HEs? If the enemy only has one or two melee murderbeasts I can usually focus fire them down well enough, but the Lizardmen tend to bring 4 or more dinos and the last time I pointed all my archers at a stegadon, it smashed through my lines and ate my Loremaster before it's health bar went down at all.

in multiplayer, phoenix guard

in early campaign, spearmen/sea guard surrounding the drat things and then teclis casts flaming sword, because you are playing teclis, right

in late campaign, also phoenix guard

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

LLSix posted:

Phoenix guard shred large targets are are pretty tanky with their physical resist but are pretty expensive. Chariots and silver helms have enough mass to hold them in place somewhat but I wouldn't rely on them to kill dinos or large monsters on their own.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/mortal-empires-with-ian-roxburgh

This blog has more details and also a look at a segment of the map.

quote:

Worth noting though that there are some interesting switch-arounds for a couple of the New World Lords. Queek starts play in Karrag Orrud, right at the heel of the World’s Edge Mountains, so he’s in immediate contact with Greenskins and a stone’s throw from the Dwarfs, plus he’s in contention for Karak Eight Peaks along with Skarsnik and Belegar. Teclis has also shifted, to the Star Tower off the east coast of Lustria, so his initial concerns are vamps and rats. His is definitely a tough startpos!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
New Queek pos is good pos

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I was kind of hoping Wulfrick would start in Skeggi in ME, given his title. Otherwise all looks good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I was kind of hoping Wulfrick would start in Skeggi in ME, given his title. Otherwise all looks good.

He might, honestly. But not on release of Mortal Empires because Norsca won't be playable/updated immediately.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
No Rituals for the old factions kinda sucks but I understand. No one in their right mind would want to try to do that for each TW1 faction.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
ulthuan is smooshed

compare that image int he blog to in game

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

No Rituals for the old factions kinda sucks but I understand. No one in their right mind would want to try to do that for each TW1 faction.

I wonder if they will leave the option to implement those up to modders?

Edit:^^^^^ Ulthuan is super mega oversized in the vortex campaign, so it makes sense that it's getting a bit smashed.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god i cant wait to go smash some elves and dinosaurs and rats as the empire

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dragon princes vs grail knights

in the back ground high elf and bretonian peasants flail about

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Plavski posted:

New Queek pos is good pos

So what goes in skavenblight

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Please be Ikkit

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Presumably Thanquol or another lord when they're released.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Probably Thanquol or Ikkit or whoever the FLC Skaven LL's are going to be.

I wouldn't be shocked if Gotrek and Felix along with Thanquol end up as some kind of bundle DLC for this game.

Skavenblight is owned by Clan Skyre right?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

The rat pope.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It's Skyre's base of operations, but Moulder also has a huge presence there

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Not really owned but rather that their lore doesn't have enough details on where Skyre is based that the nearest thing we have is that their biggest factories are in Skavenblight. Moulder has Hell Pit in not-Russia, Eshin have the eastern connections, Pestilens has Lustria; Skyre is probably most likely in Skavenblight unless Thanquol gets in before Ikkit Claw.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

queeb posted:

god i cant wait to go smash some elves and dinosaurs and rats as the empire

They gave Hellblaster Volley Guns a range buff so you'll be able to machine gun down dinosaurs all day!

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Dwarf changes look amazing. I'm excited about the improved irondrakes gaining knock back, larger unit size, ap damage, and morale debuffs. Artillery being improved is also very nice.

Where are you seeing these changes? I would love see what lovin' the Dawi received.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Where are you seeing these changes? I would love see what lovin' the Dawi received.

Repost: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/201979/warhammer-2-changes-to-wh1-races

Stoked to see Irondrakes of both varieties getting buffed. If there's an area where I believe Skaven are inferior to Dwarfs, it's dedicated ranged infantry, even with how terrifying the poison grenadiers are.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Have we heard anything on the prospect of multiplayer Mortal Empires

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Some of this stuff sounds super questionable.

The AI doesn't give a gently caress about climate, and will happily grab every settlement it can. You can see this across WH2. So with climate being the decider in ME, I except we'll see Vampires owning half the badlands as they eat all the mountains up. Or worse, Greenskins actually able to take human cities, so Skarsnik won't just raze Wissenland, he'll turn it into a massive base of operations to take down the Empire AI even easier. I'm sure this will all be BAD CLIMATE, but that only affects the player, not the AI.

That to me sounds like it's going to drastically lower the tactical options on the overall map. The Dwarf/Vampire war being such a pain in the rear end allows the Dwarves to be very tactical/guerrilla in fighting the VC. And it also opens up a situation where the VC don't have to worry about their backend being conquered/controlled by potential Empire enemies because it's Dwarf only territory. I can't imagine how not fun it'd be if Zhufbar/Stirland declared war on each other and Stirland took everything Zhufbar owned, then suddenly VC had to fight a war on two fronts.

Or to take that to it's logical TW1 conclusion, I don't loving want to see the Dwarfball leave the loving Badlands. They already always conquer the entire Badlands, it's going to be awful fighting them if they can just conquer the entire Old World now without having anything to stop them. Which you can even see in that image in the header, the Dwarfs own the Empire lands now too. That sounds awful.

Southlands is going to just be Kroq Gar until they add Tomb Kings. At which point it's just going to be KG locked away in the south while the Tomb Kings own the north? The Kroq Gar campaign sounds awful going forward.

No Rites for Old World sounds pretty dumb. None of them are anything important so.....? Just add a bunch of dumb buff stuff or give cool heavy endgame unit early, I don't see why this is so hard.

Doesn't sound like the Old World races are getting any sort of overhaul with Mortal Empires so lol gently caress Empire AI even more.

I wonder how they handle the Vortex campaign going forward into 3. I don't see them bringing over either minicampaign into 2, so does that mean Vortex is 2 only. If so that's going to suck when 3 comes around if I ever want to do the Vortex campaign.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Grace_CA posted:

As Eurogamer have stated, 26th October is one of the dates that we're looking at for release, but so far nothing is definite and we will let you know when it is.
If it was definite, I'd just tell you at this point, but honestly we're still not 100% sure and it may be that but it also may not.
From the reddit thread.
So not 100% set in stone but at least we got an estimate.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

toasterwarrior posted:

Repost: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/201979/warhammer-2-changes-to-wh1-races

Stoked to see Irondrakes of both varieties getting buffed. If there's an area where I believe Skaven are inferior to Dwarfs, it's dedicated ranged infantry, even with how terrifying the poison grenadiers are.

Ooof, lot of weird nerfs here.

Savage Orcs losing their physical resist, Dwarven cannons losing their anti-large, Demigryyfs in every stat.

Wardancers got absolutely massively buffed too. +15 models :eyepop:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Thinking about the Mortal Empires Dwarf changes:

-Fire weapons debuff enemy units and it is comparable to the debuff Skaven Plagueclaws/Warpfire Throwers get. However, according to the notes Irondrakes get more guys/unit, knockback on the projectiles, and the Trollhammer version now has an additional +25 damage vs large which will be really interesting to see vs the numerous new large units present.

-Across the board buffs to their infantry, as well as nerfs to most other race's infantry movement speed benefits Dwarves.

-Lord/Hero abilities that are analogues to existing equipment might give some more utility. Thanes being able to immobilize a unit for example will be great in conjunction with missile units/artillery pounding them.

-I've heard they made Dwarf artillery overall a lot better, but on paper they are only marginal changes unless I've misread some stuff. In theory having Engineers in built up dwarf settlements sounds nice, but their default skill, entrenchment, isn't that great and I don't even think it works on units on walls, which is bogus compared to Skaven Warlock Engineers who are amazing with Warp Lightning blasting enemies coming out of siege towers.

My concern is that magic got a lot stronger, and Dwarves didn't really get much more tools to deal with it. I had hoped they would buff Runepriest/lord abilities and passives that increase magic resist, since it would make Dwarves a bit more unique in that they would be able to stack enough magic resist to be extremely resilient against spells that would devastate other races. Rune of Wrath and Ruin also didn't seem to get changed, so Dwarves have little equivalent to match enemy spellcaster. This is too bad, even other races not known for having good casters will still massively benefit from the changes to magic in the sequel, but Dwarves don't at all nor have enough to make up for this deficit.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

DeathSandwich posted:

The "gently caress Elves" thing is fully baked into the Warhammer lore so that it's totally justified because while they are ostensibly the good guys, they are lovely and arrogant and annoy even the factions that like them.

Back in the pre-empire times when the dark elves split from the high elves and hosed off from Ulthuan. One of the things they did was start raiding dwarven caravans and ships while flying the Ulthuan flag in masse. When the dwarven ambassador went to the pheonix king to try and figure out what the gently caress, the elf king refused to tell the ambassador about the elven rebellion and when the king was pressed, instead shaved the ambassadors beard and sent it back to the dwarven king. To say this was not taken well by the dwarves was an understatement, and it sparked a war wherein the dwarves basically pushed all the perceived knife-eared scum basically out of the old world minus Athel Loren, where even the dwarves did not go. All of it could of been avoided had the high elves said "Hey, we're kind of embroiled in a civil war with Malekith here" but they chose the stupid, prideful, and arrogant option instead.

In short: gently caress Elves.

High Elves favorite hero from their history was an elf so dumb he got tricked by Khorne

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's a discussion in that thread saying that Organ Gun shots seem to be one-hitting most infantry now when back in WH1 I remember some heavy infantry getting up even after getting shot in the face, leading to much more impressive kill counts. Bummed about Cannons losing anti-large though; if anything, I feel that Dwarf Cannons need buffs, not nerfs.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Southlands is going to just be Kroq Gar until they add Tomb Kings. At which point it's just going to be KG locked away in the south while the Tomb Kings own the north? The Kroq Gar campaign sounds awful going forward.

Teclis' start is getting moved the islands off the east coast of the Southlands, and they're adding Lahmia, undead kingdoms to the northeast of Kroq's starting position along the coast

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Good news. Want to go test dwarf artilley now?

Cataph has a custom battle mod that unlocks empire, dwarves, undead, chaos, and orks.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1149657368

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

toasterwarrior posted:

There's a discussion in that thread saying that Organ Gun shots seem to be one-hitting most infantry now when back in WH1 I remember some heavy infantry getting up even after getting shot in the face, leading to much more impressive kill counts. Bummed about Cannons losing anti-large though; if anything, I feel that Dwarf Cannons need buffs, not nerfs.

Their accuracy went way up. People are reporting that cannons are better even with the damage nerf.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Quick test, before the rats got to a dwarven army, the 3 grudge throwers hit about 15 kills each and a cannon had 50.

Also flame cannons are worth their weight in gold.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm really hoping they lost anti-large because they get explosive damage like the Warp Lightning Cannons.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've beat the Vortex campaign as Skrolk, the rats are the best so far, even more fun than VC, despite their morale shortcomings. From reading the rest of the thread, I can't tell if others are able to continue painting the map once the vortex last battle is done. I get a turn or 2 past the last battle, and on the next end turn, it auto dumps me to the campaign recap replay. Is this just for skaven or do all the lords not get to continue?

I also found the intervention and chaos/skaven army spawns frustrating, I lost 4 or 5 cities during the last ritual, as even with a full stack garrisoned in a city, 5 armies spawning on it was a bit much. They rolled that, and just swarmed down not south america rolling up a few cities. Elves, Delves, and Lizards also dropped intervention armies on my capital at the same time, so once they got rolled, I was able to crush the 5 skaven armies. Only once during all 5 rituals did a chaos army actually spawn at sea and work its way to my empire to get intercepted and wrecked.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This was a firing line test with a few dwarves in front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Third World Reggin posted:

This was a firing line test with a few dwarves in front.

now do dwarf cannons vs rat cannons