Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

FFXIV is becoming the game I wanted Guild Wars 2 to be.

Jumping Puzzle: Savage mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Jumping puzzles are atrocious in this game though?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not The same Ivalice as FFXII at all. Cid and Alma talk about Rabanastre trying to remain neutral in the war until it was Crushed by the Garlean Empire. Rabanastre in XII eventually overcame a totally different empire and built an alliance between that Empire and its major rival.

It's all just a reference and not actually the thing. It's why FFXII some how happens after the mudhole world where magic is dying in FFT in FF14's version even though the original Ivalice has it the other way because Ashe's destruction of the Sun Cryst cuts the Magic Source Illuminati off from the world. And it's also why Ba'gamnan is there somehow 1000 years after Rabanastre's destruction.

Argas posted:

It's this.

The Ivalice stuff isn't Ivalice of FFT or Rabanastre of FF12. It's a reference, imported into XIV and naturalized to be part of its world, with the necessary editing and "retcons" to make it work/do what the writers want it to do. The Ivalice timeline places FFT as being after XII, but that's not the case in XIV's version. Ivalice is an ancient kingdom and mostly a myth in the modern age. Rabanastre is a city that has existed for some time and was an active city until recently.

The Dalmasca desert is described to be in southern central Othard, close to Nagxia, which is south of Doma in the Othard map. Given that Othard extends beyond the confines of the in-game map, it's probably in the clouded region.

Ah, that all makes a lot more sense, then. I'm guessing it's just a significantly larger one-to-one reference this time, so it's easy to read it as literally the same world. With most references in FFXIV, it's one character, one place, things like that, isolated and worked into FFXIV's world in a way that's recognizable but unique. Even something like Doma is pretty distinct from its FFVI incarnation--yeah, they both get conquered by a magitek empire and both have samurai, but they're aesthetically very different, as are their histories beyond that imperial thing. But Ivalice is way more recognizable as the Ivalice, it seems like.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Renegret posted:

I loving love patch day raids when nobody knows what the gently caress.

https://gfycat.com/ScarceNiftyHammerheadbird

(linked for mechanic spoilers)

stand in the circle! *entire raid stumbles around like a bunch of drunk hobos*

I love this mechanic because

it looks like the entire raid got drunk as hell and is stumbling around trying to find the boss when they disappeared

Y'all need to stop posting squadron stuff, it's too tempting for me to skip out on work early to go mess around with them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Renegret posted:

It's a fun mechanic, and hopefully since it only lasts for a few seconds at a time it won't outstay it's welcome. (I too stumbled around like a drunken idiot the first time).

Also the fight lets you beat the poo poo out of Algus so it's good for that reason too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Isn't the Glabados ruins in FF12 Mullonde?

I never played 12 so I don't really know the overlap of the story.

Like FFT lore has St. Ajora living in a time of airships and magic 1200 years before FFT. Is that the FF12 world?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Think so, yeah

There's basically no overlap with FFT in XII outside the Espers and names of places/people though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol I figured out right before the vote abandon on what would have been my second raid clear yesterday that using Collective Unconscious on Hashmal's Hammer Drop is a bad idea, because you get targeted AoEs right after that and eating two will kill you, and bunching people up makes them impossible to avoid, whoops!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arist posted:

Lol I figured out right before the vote abandon on what would have been my second raid clear yesterday that using Collective Unconscious on Hashmal's Hammer Drop is a bad idea, because you get targeted AoEs right after that and eating two will kill you, and bunching people up makes them impossible to avoid, whoops!

I've actually had better luck with groups that do stack on the edge, as long as you know to get the gently caress out of there as soon as the AoE hits. Otherwise all the targeted AoEs are spread out and it's harder to dodge.

Of course, coordinating that is impossible with pubbies so you just kind of have to wing it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the issue might be that I always move too late after using CU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone have any problems with ACT after the update? keep getting 'failed to scan memory' now.

damage meter works but the threat meter is still broken

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
One thing that stuck out to me is that Ramza describes Rabanastre as "antediluvian," a term which literally means "pre-flood." Since the Great Flood occurred after the War of the Magi (and was the event that signaled the beginning of the Sixth Umbral Era) that would make the city at least 1600 years old, and likely older.

I do believe the raid content is meant to be an oblique reference to Ivalice rather than stating that this world is Ivalice itself. They've always done it that way before, why stop now?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Did the Born Again Anima light values get tweaked? Don't recall seeing it in the notes but sanity checking.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Extremely important spoilers - not story spoilers, but a strange something in the new dungeon that I want to know more about -

did anyone else see the loving fat cat inside the second boss

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

comingafteryouall posted:

Y'all need to stop posting squadron stuff, it's too tempting for me to skip out on work early to go mess around with them.

Well think of it this way; it's likely the new fastest way to level by a lot so soon you'll have squadron'd so many times you'll be sick of it. Make that honeymoon period last!

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

The Electronaut posted:

Did the Born Again Anima light values get tweaked? Don't recall seeing it in the notes but sanity checking.

"The rate at which weapons gain aetheric condensation has been increased for certain duties. More duties will contribute to aetheric condensation."

Are the the changes to anima weapons this patch. I wish they had said what the changes actually were so I could know what else I can do finish mine out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

World War Mammories posted:

Extremely important spoilers - not story spoilers, but a strange something in the new dungeon that I want to know more about -

did anyone else see the loving fat cat inside the second boss

What no

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Well think of it this way; it's likely the new fastest way to level by a lot so soon you'll have squadron'd so many times you'll be sick of it. Make that honeymoon period last!

To be fair the fastest way to level now is to pay $25!!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Because i've barely had a chance to play: the squadron dungeons are for leveling your own jobs up right? There's no special loot available or anything like that, it's just some good xp without waiting around for DF?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair the fastest way to level now is to pay $25!!

You can buy retainer bumps now right?

I...might...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I...might...

Those are $9 but yeah.

a kitten posted:

Because i've barely had a chance to play: the squadron dungeons are for leveling your own jobs up right? There's no special loot available or anything like that, it's just some good xp without waiting around for DF?

There are special emotes tied to doing it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Those are $9 but yeah.

There are special emotes tied to doing it.

Ah cool!

Emote related question: what's cooler /attention or /atease ?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

Ah cool!

Emote related question: what's cooler /attention or /atease ?

I don't know why anyone needs any emotes except /box

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

because /dote exists

...and /pet for when there's lalafels around

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
And /handover to feed your minion.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've been throwing fights with /playdead

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ran Skalla twice yesterday and a friend only noticed it on the second go, so I'm curious if it's always there or not

when the clay idol boss opens up to use some of his abilities, the explosions distract from it, but there's a giant loving fat cat sitting inside it plain as day

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I always knew this was the best game ever

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I...might...

I would gladly pay $30 to just instant level a gatherer to 60. I tried that poo poo for 20 minutes and just gave up.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I probably shouldn't but:

Five of those were in one day.

It wasn't so bad when following this guide:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YYuZ9fpxSCELsjDikPXvTFq_NNkXTQU76PU5vmprKqg/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

Get the lovely zones out of the way and slowly work your way up to the better zones with closer fate spawns and easier to hit one then another.

This is a pretty good chart, I'll have to follow it. I finished Manjimutt and most of the 'nyans (halfway through Shogunyan) so I still have a ways to go.

They suggest avoiding Central Thanalan but IMO it's not a bad area since all the FATEs are low-level, the spawn rates are good, and you can tear through them fairly quickly with a chocobro (maybe the guide hasn't taken that into account though). The only real downside is the zone is fairly large.

Renegret posted:

:lol: My first raid party kept doing this too.

The mechanic is literally just the second half of Ravana's Swift Slaughter. Get in the circle, then spread again to avoid the incoming AoE. This is nothing new. And what gets me is the same players kept dying to it over and over again!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DizzyBum posted:

The mechanic is literally just the second half of Ravana's Swift Slaughter. Get in the circle, then spread again to avoid the incoming AoE. This is nothing new. And what gets me is the same players kept dying to it over and over again!

The problem people are having is getting used to the merry-go-round. That's why they're all drunk as gently caress.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

ran Skalla twice yesterday and a friend only noticed it on the second go, so I'm curious if it's always there or not

when the clay idol boss opens up to use some of his abilities, the explosions distract from it, but there's a giant loving fat cat sitting inside it plain as day

oh my god

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

It's kind of better than that since the safe spot is so obvious but the hand mechanic affecting your movement prevents you from getting there if you don't understand how to deal with it. Literally Algus mocking you for not being able to move forward because he's got his hand on your forehead. The schoolyard bully-est attack.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

DizzyBum posted:

This is a pretty good chart, I'll have to follow it. I finished Manjimutt and most of the 'nyans (halfway through Shogunyan) so I still have a ways to go.

They suggest avoiding Central Thanalan but IMO it's not a bad area since all the FATEs are low-level, the spawn rates are good, and you can tear through them fairly quickly with a chocobro (maybe the guide hasn't taken that into account though). The only real downside is the zone is fairly large.

Im an idiot who did the yokai grind (I did half of it last time so I was convinced it wasn't going to be terrible this time). Just so you know what you're in for, the last 2 weapons in outer la noscea took me something 250 fates just running back and forth between the 2 boss fates in the mines next to each other that spawn repeatedly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
yeah the hand mechanic takes a little getting used to, especially when you're not expecting it.

confession time: that clip I posted? Dumb loving luck I went straight to the safe spot. I didn't even realize what was going on, I just happened to choose the right moment to start moving.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bahamut Ultimate should put the hand on you during twister divebombs

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wasn't crazy about the detour to Ul'dah, but the MSQ in this patch has actually been really cool. The instances in this expansion all around have been very good. Square's getting just a little more ambitious.

So if Raubahn is The Bull, is Pipin The Calf?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i just finished umbrite step on a weapon

i went 60+ sands without a bonus. gently caress off squenix

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've been a good boy all expansion and not skipped the story even when it dips into bad but all of the section involving Nanamo almost got me to break and start skipping cutscenes. It was really, really bad. The setpiece battle overstays its welcome too.

The stinger over in Kugane at the end was the most interesting part of the story quests because it involves two characters who are either funny or interesting or a character i want to step on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

The problem people are having is getting used to the merry-go-round. That's why they're all drunk as gently caress.

Ohh, I didn't even realize there was a movement-fuckery mechanic involved. Every time the AoE came up, I didn't have any movement problems. Does it not hit the entire raid and I just got super-lucky or something?