Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

mackintosh posted:

In far more important news, the line ups for UEFA Nations League have been confirmed.

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2507364.html#/

What in the everloving gently caress is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

We deserved this

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Kurtofan posted:

not sure the netherlands deserve to be in group A imo

They do not. The upcoming fifa rankings (i know, lol right) will put them well out of the European top 20.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Klinsmann was both correct in his assessment and an idiot for having the hubris to believe he'd change it by forcing the national team to play a certain way.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I just saw the video of Panama's first "goal". The ball was never even close to getting over the line, it barely made it to the post.

CONCACAF refereeing at its finest.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

I just saw the video of Panama's first "goal". The ball was never even close to getting over the line, it barely made it to the post.

I want CONCACAF to retcon that goal and audible into a US-Panama home-and-home for the 4th spot and then the US lose that too because it would be funny.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Owns because it's true.

The reality is finally starting to sink in. This loving sucks.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fat greasy puto posted:

now i have no reason to take off work in june
gently caress that I'm still taking the whole month off.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

hahahahahahahaha

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Does CONCAF not use goal line tech?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tzen posted:

Owns because it's true.

The reality is finally starting to sink in. This loving sucks.

Alexi Lalas tried to subtly say this a month ago when he told the players to step up their game. I imagine if he wasn't a commentator and there were no more games to play he would have said, "This team looks like poo poo, they play like poo poo, their players are old and have under-performed their entire careers."

I'm glad this is happening. There is no reason a country in the US's position should field a team that goes the distance with Germany in the quarter-finals in one world cup and then a generation later (with some of the same players) play like dried dogshit.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

"What are we doing?" Has been the American motto for decades now though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Alexi Lalas tried to subtly say this a month ago when he told the players to step up their game. I imagine if he wasn't a commentator and there were no more games to play he would have said, "This team looks like poo poo, they play like poo poo, their players are old and have under-performed their entire careers."

I'm glad this is happening. There is no reason a country in the US's position should field a team that goes the distance with Germany in the quarter-finals in one world cup and then a generation later (with some of the same players) play like dried dogshit.

Especially considering that A) America is one of the only places that do university football right? Plenty of talent to choose from and B) since foreign people do go to university here, could possibly play for us doing whatever nationalization rule we have.

Except if you're Muslim.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Does CONCAF not use goal line tech?

They do not.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

Especially considering that A) America is one of the only places that do university football right? Plenty of talent to choose from and B) since foreign people do go to university here, could possibly play for us doing whatever nationalization rule we have.

Except if you're Muslim.

The best team in the NCAA would lose by 10+ goals to the shower of poo poo that played for the US last night.

The standard of college soccer in America is so unbelievably low it's embarrassing.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

They do not.

What a fail confederation

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

What a fail confederation

I thought we established that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

The best team in the NCAA would lose by 10+ goals to the shower of poo poo that played for the US last night.

The standard of college soccer in America is so unbelievably low it's embarrassing.

Believe me, I have lots of complaints about college soccer, but it's still a pool to be able to scout players not good enough (for whatever reason) an academy abroad but good enough here.

Seriously, no stoppage time, unlimited substitutions, got it. It's stupid.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Soulex posted:

Except if you're Muslim.

We would need to catch the kids earlier than college to have a shot of getting more than one Pulisic every 15 years.

Here's my dream. In skiing, some states (Maine and Colorado spring to mind, probably Utah and California) have hyper competitive state championships. The level of competition is so good that there are various private schools in the state that focus primarily on the skiing, and the classes are fit in whenever the kids aren't on the mountain. Generally those private schools have hefty scholarships to give out to kids who come from around the country. We need a few states to organically have the same thing for soccer. It doesn't matter where it is, so long as those private schools are recruiting nationally solely for the purpose of playing soccer.

The federation doesn't have the authority to just create one out of nothing and the MLS teams have no incentive to do it because they're guaranteed to get their money and stay in the top league no matter what. Unless Pennsylvania or Texas for whatever reason starts having stupidly good high school leagues or the whole country turns away from football, we're stuck being a middling country in international soccer. That said, we SHOULD at least be better than everyone in the conference besides Mexico. If there's one bonus to this debacle it's seeing that American fans expect better and won't let the federation forget what happened.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 11, 2017

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

it's still a pool to be able to scout players not good enough (for whatever reason) an academy abroad but good enough here.

Is it though?

Leo Stolz won the MAC Hermann Award as the best NCAA player in the country in 2014. He's a German who came to the US to go to college.

Guess who he plays for now?

No one. The best college soccer player in the US in 2014 can't get a job and you're thinking that's the "talent" pool the US needs to tap?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Trophy

Look at that list, it's a complete joke.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
College soccer in the US is trash. High school soccer in the US is trash. Middle school club soccer is trash. The way we start kids playing soccer in the US is trash, the way we think about team sports is so totally backwards and laughable, we're never going to succeed with players who develop here.

Read this, and realize NONE OF THIS IS DONE in children's soccer in the US.

http://westhamacademyinternational.com/TC_NSCAA.html

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

NCAA soccer is 18-22 year olds (and for the men, suuucks), way too late for any soccer player to be initially “scouted”. imo, we need to imitate what basketball does at the youth level and what baseball does if we even do colligiate soccer.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Everyone bitches about that but no one mentions that the Panama guy closest was clearly tripped, shoved- i.e. double foul == automatic goal per concacaf

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Everyone bitches about that but no one mentions that the Panama guy closest was clearly tripped, shoved- i.e. double foul == automatic goal per concacaf

Oh it absolutely should have been a penalty but the referee chose not to make that call and instead awarded a phantom goal.

Net result probably the same but holy moly it was a bad call for the goal.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

FartingBedpost posted:

NCAA soccer is 18-22 year olds (and for the men, suuucks), way too late for any soccer player to be initially “scouted”. imo, we need to imitate what basketball does at the youth level and what baseball does if we even do colligiate soccer.

America takes for granted that our college system generally prepares athletes to be the best at the world in their sport and assume that it's the same thing with soccer.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

America takes for granted that our college system generally prepares athletes to be the best at the world in their sport and assume that it's the same thing with soccer.

Yeah it's generally the best in the world by virtue of being the best in the only country that plays the sport

Except NBA, poo poo, NBA rocks

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

My favourite USMNT meltdown was some guy on reddit earlier calling for Fifa to expand to 48 teams because sponsors (lol) won't want to get involved in a World Cup without the US (where it's what, the fifth most important sport?), India, and China (with a single combined World Cup appearance between them).

The US is set up all wrong to produce consistently good talent on a national scale. You lot get occasional breakout stars (Howard, Dempsey, seemingly Pulisic) and generally band them together with some MLS players to get into tournaments in one of the worst confederations. There seems to be no appetite at the highest levels to change this. The youth system is entirely broken for political reasons and the high school -> college -> pros system is so entrenched in your culture I can't see that changing either. I'm not really sure how you'd go about doing that, never mind getting the necessary support to do so.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
What's the big fuzz? There's always the Gold Cuo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

What's the big fuzz? There's always the Gold Cuo

Are you having a stroke?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

Which is why we’ll never improve it or just get rid of it. We assume that because it works for track and field, football, basketball and maybe baseball, it’ll work in soccer.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 11, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

This seems to be my issue.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Are you having a stroke?

No, why do you ask.

haha

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Maybe that kid who's going to sign for Bremen will be enough with Pulisic to beat T&T next cycle

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
MLS clubs are at least starting to run academies. Maybe those can gain increasing prominence if the NCAA is finally dealt the death blow that it deserves. It feels like this has been building for the last few years.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Shrapnig posted:

Are you having a stroke?

phone posting ftl

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Think of the GDP boost we will see as millions of office workers churn documents instead of watching the World Cuck

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

Oh it absolutely should have been a penalty but the referee chose not to make that call and instead awarded a phantom goal.

Net result probably the same but holy moly it was a bad call for the goal.

This just makes it all the more glorious

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Shrapnig posted:

Are you having a stroke?

I too hope that we win the Gold Culo

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did anyone mention that the president of Panama declared a national holiday?

https://twitter.com/JC_Varela/status/917976091666665472

Schools are closed, public and private sector employees have the day off. 🇵🇦 🇵🇦 🇵🇦

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

I wonder what all the Jozy fans are thinking right now

Well it still keeps me up at night knowing he bowed out early in 2014. So yeah Im absolutely gutted that Jozy will likely never grace the biggest stage in the world again :911: He's the cherry on the cake that is the US foot team, and Im gutted it wont be at the party.

• Locked thread