Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Omar al-Bishie posted:

playing red/white burn on xmage to see if I like it, opponent has leyline of sanctity. they're at two life. I'm literally just waiting to topdeck a goblin guide

I have sideboard enchantment hate but literally none mainboarded. help?

Is this game 1? If so determine how long you feel like waiting to draw a Guide, then scoop once you pass that point. Board in enchantment hate games 2 and 3. Mainboard Leyline isn't very common so if it is game 1 then just accept that you got unlucky and move on.

Are you strictly RW? I think Burn decks are still playing a single Stomping Ground so that they have green mana to cast Destructive Revelry out of the sideboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Today in Magic: the Gathering story:

quote:

Vraska grinned. "And yours are incredible!" She paused for a moment. Something in Vraska's face shifted. Softened. "Jace, I'm sorry I kept planeswalking from you. I didn't know if I could trust you when I found you. No more hiding things." The waves gently lapped at the side of the boat as she rowed. "I never got a chance to thank you for what you said that night when we were docked at High and Dry. No one has ever listened to my story like you did. Thank you."

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I backed the John Avon un-art playmat kickstarter so I'll be using beautiful land art playmats moving forward.

For now I'm still using my Magic Origins Champion mat. I also have a half dozen "loaner" mats for when I bring cube to play with casuals.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thank you for posting this! Friend of mine just told me he's coming over from the US in two weeks, so i don't even need to pay extra shipping fees.

E: didnt get one. Post again if it goes back up please.

mehall fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 11, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Magic Story

Huatli and Tishana team up to find Orazca in order to protect it from the Vampires.

Magan, Butcher of Vona is a total psycho who just likes drinking blood and is trying to get to Orazca because it sounds fun.

Mavren Fein wants to go there, but first he's gotta murder some people and drink their blood because the vampires go crazy when they don't drink blood. They're looking for Saint Elenda the first vampire of the Totally Not Catholic Vampires.

Jace and Vraska escape the ship and then take a peaceful gondola ride together underneath an invisibility cloak: Vraska tells him about planeswalking and gushes about how cool he is while Jace stares into her eyes and wonders what her favorite dessert is. Really.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 11, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
The best playmat is from like a year ago ITT where it was of Carlton Banks and had matching sleeves

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Is this game 1? If so determine how long you feel like waiting to draw a Guide, then scoop once you pass that point. Board in enchantment hate games 2 and 3. Mainboard Leyline isn't very common so if it is game 1 then just accept that you got unlucky and move on.

Are you strictly RW? I think Burn decks are still playing a single Stomping Ground so that they have green mana to cast Destructive Revelry out of the sideboard.

I am, but I'm open to change. I hadn't realized green was an option for that.

It was game 2, I won game 3 when I drew one of my few enchantment hate cards in my opening hand. I got lucky.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I have an old tan felt play mat that I've had since I was a kid. It has sides for both players, indicators for library and graveyard, and some sort of magic thing as a dividing line down the middle.

Also I drew the mana symbols in sharpie on one side when I was a kid and they look awesome. :colbert:

Edit: Awful photo but it's this one: http://client-cdn.crystalcommerce.com/photo/wildthingsgames/file/90e35440b22c11e484fc5131a5912b12/medium/20150205_114327.jpg

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I am, but I'm open to change. I hadn't realized green was an option for that.

It was game 2, I won game 3 when I drew one of my few enchantment hate cards in my opening hand. I got lucky.

What is your X-Mage name. I'll probably be on later tonight for some Modern if I can manage.

In fact what is everyone's X-Mage names?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am SpittingSlug. I am still getting used to the weird interface.

Most interested in practicing Standard or Limited, since that's the format I want to get in with. I'd rather catch up on a year and a half of Magic than 7+.

E: I ordered the limited edition goofy cards. I figure I can either flip them, or I have a friend who's getting back in AND a huge transformers dork so it would be a good gift. And that dragon token is too pretty not to find an excuse to use.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 11, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think I'm just C-Euro but I haven't been on in months. Do we still have an MtG thread Discord channel?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

I think I'm just C-Euro but I haven't been on in months. Do we still have an MtG thread Discord channel?

It's deader than disco, but there is one.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

What is your X-Mage name. I'll probably be on later tonight for some Modern if I can manage.

In fact what is everyone's X-Mage names?

KeepCoolBruv, I'd be down. I get on around midnight EST and in the mornings

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Balon posted:

I backed the John Avon un-art playmat kickstarter so I'll be using beautiful land art playmats moving forward.

:smith: I wanted one of those. I saw the Kickstarter got teased, but didn't see it launch. Stupid Kickstarter.

Edit:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I have an old tan felt play mat that I've had since I was a kid. It has sides for both players, indicators for library and graveyard, and some sort of magic thing as a dividing line down the middle.

Also I drew the mana symbols in sharpie on one side when I was a kid and they look awesome. :colbert:

Edit: Awful photo but it's this one: http://client-cdn.crystalcommerce.com/photo/wildthingsgames/file/90e35440b22c11e484fc5131a5912b12/medium/20150205_114327.jpg

That looks magical as poo poo.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 11, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone watch the arena dev stream yesterday? Is there a summary anywhere?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did anyone watch the arena dev stream yesterday? Is there a summary anywhere?

The stream is tomorrow. They had Cheon and Marshal play on Sunday at worlds if that is the one you are taking about.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRrqDNXY4YQ

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Can I mention in here that I have UltraPro playmats for sale featuring the art I did for the Omniscience Bolas Invocation?

http://www.joshhass.com/shop.html

If not, then I have another question as someone who hasn't played in years. Are/were the invocation cards allowed in the draft format? I realize you could keep the cards if one was opened, but were you allowed to actually use them in a draft deck?

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 11, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Beelzebub posted:

Can I mention in here that I have UltraPro playmats for sale featuring the art I did for the Omniscience Bolas Invocation?

If not, then I have another question as someone who hasn't played in years. Are/were the invocation cards allowed in the draft format? I realize you could keep the cards if one was opened, but were you allowed to actually use them in a draft deck?

You could, yes. I know Sword of Fire and Ice let to some ridiculously one-sided games in Kaladesh prerelease.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Beelzebub posted:

That's a really awesome playmat art!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Beelzebub posted:

If i buy one will you make the late payments to hostineer?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Sickening posted:

If i buy one will you make the late payments to hostineer?

Are these payments you owe Hostineer? Whom am I helping out here?

edit: Haha, I see. The link is all loving up. Hmm, I guess we're all SOL because I'm on auto drafted payments.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 11, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Beelzebub posted:

Are these payments you owe Hostineer? Whom am I helping out here?

Unless your web hosting is confusing me for one of their customers with an outstanding bill I just get a weird landing page to pay a bill from your link.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Sickening posted:

Unless your web hosting is confusing me for one of their customers with an outstanding bill I just get a weird landing page to pay a bill from your link.

I don't know what's going on but it's not a billing issue. It's probably 2 parts me being stupid and 1 part Hostineer being lovely. Below is where I'm trying to send you...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Beelzebub posted:

I don't know what's going on but it's not a billing issue. It's probably 2 parts me being stupid and 1 part Hostineer being lovely. Below is where I'm trying to send you...

Now this is a sweet loving mat.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Beelzebub posted:

Wait, you do illustration for Wizards?

I have like...a million questions that I want to ask you. None of them are "how do I get into freelance illustration?"

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Star Man posted:

I have like...a million questions that I want to ask you. None of them are "how do I get into freelance illustration?"

Yes sir I do. I've been contracting with them for about 2.5 years.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

OK I'll start:

How hard would it be to sneak in a stasis-pro tier level style of illustration for MTG nowadays?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

suicidesteve posted:

You could, yes. I know Sword of Fire and Ice let to some ridiculously one-sided games in Kaladesh prerelease.

Did this also apply to the Conspiracy cards that got fake-leaked in the prerelease for the previous set?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

goferchan posted:

Did this also apply to the Conspiracy cards that got fake-leaked in the prerelease for the previous set?

Never, because they don't commission art from the county fair anymore.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

OK I'll start:

How hard would it be to sneak in a stasis-pro tier level style of illustration for MTG nowadays?

I bet I could sneak it in on a painting hanging on the wall in another painting. Sure, that could be done.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Beelzebub posted:

Your Dark Nourishment and Hostile Desert are really cool

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Beelzebub posted:

I bet I could sneak it in on a painting hanging on the wall in another painting. Sure, that could be done.

Excellent

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Call me crazy but I don't think staring directly into a gorgon's eyes is ever a good idea.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Count Bleck posted:

Call me crazy but I don't think staring directly into a gorgon's eyes is ever a good idea.

Is this a story thing?

Did jace kiss medusa again this week?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hey if any nerds are in Toronto for Canadian Nationals over the next few days I fly in tomorrow morning. Let me know if you want to test or drink a lot.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GeneX posted:

Is this a story thing?

Did jace kiss medusa again this week?

Angry Grimace posted:

Magic Story

Huatli and Tishana team up to find Orazca in order to protect it from the Vampires.

Magan, Butcher of Vona is a total psycho who just likes drinking blood and is trying to get to Orazca because it sounds fun.

Mavren Fein wants to go there, but first he's gotta murder some people and drink their blood because the vampires go crazy when they don't drink blood. They're looking for Saint Elenda the first vampire of the Totally Not Catholic Vampires.

Jace and Vraska escape the ship and then take a peaceful gondola ride together underneath an invisibility cloak: Vraska tells him about planeswalking and gushes about how cool he is while Jace stares into her eyes and wonders what her favorite dessert is. Really.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Beelzebub posted:

If you manage to get that onto a printed card I will buy you an avatar or plat or whatever.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

There’s an entire genre of engine-building tableau games which is literally the point of EDH. I mean you can get nit picky and say it’s not the exact same carbon copy so it doesn’t count but terraforming mars is the latest example. I mean there’s also the “multiplayer solitaire” aspect which a lot of people complain about wrt to attacking others. That’s Trajan.

Actually played Terraforming Mars last week, it's a great game though I made a big mistake and thought bumrushing energy and heat would be significantly more powerful than it actually was. But again, drafting games and their ilk do not offer anywhere near the same experience and I don't know why people keep saying they do.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mezzanon posted:

Hey if any nerds are in Toronto for Canadian Nationals over the next few days I fly in tomorrow morning. Let me know if you want to test or drink a lot.

What nights are you free? I can let you know the best places to drink and play pinball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ZeroCount posted:

Actually played Terraforming Mars last week, it's a great game though I made a big mistake and thought bumrushing energy and heat would be significantly more powerful than it actually was. But again, drafting games and their ilk do not offer anywhere near the same experience and I don't know why people keep saying they do.

My experience is that once introduced to that class of games, people will sometimes prefer to play them instead of EDH given the opportunity. The main reason they don’t is just loyalty to the WOTC brand but they offer a similar enough experience. There’s the resources and the engines. Change the art around if the theme bugs you I guess. The board game thread reminded me that maybe Innovation is the better analogue but then the complaint will be that it abstracts the resource management, when that’s the sort of thing espoused by “no attack, multiplayer solitaire” EDH gamers, the original focus of the discussion, anyway. :shrug:

E: I mean people can play whatever games they want, and people who invest a lot of time and money into their EDH decks of course have resistance to the idea which I’ve seen. It’s a shame but eurogame themes by tradition tend to be dry, with the rare exception of stuff like Argent. But, to say that the mechanical and gameplay similarities aren’t there is ridiculous.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 12, 2017