Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Feenix posted:

Does Fishing in Stardew get easier? I am finding the rapid button pressing to keep the bar over the fish to be weirdly difficult.

Hold don’t tap. It gets noticeably easier.

(You’ll also eventually get access to tackle that helps too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nope. All Holding does is shoot my bar up past the fish right at the start and I lose even faster than tapping. :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why the gently caress would they release it the same day as Mario?

Asking the same thing to Ubisoft regarding AC Origins

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

Nope. All Holding does is shoot my bar up past the fish right at the start and I lose even faster than tapping. :(

Think 'slow taps' - presses, really. It isn't a 'test your might' kind of thing. With a little bit of practice, it is fairly easy to find the right cadance of presses to have the target-region to rise and fall as you need it, but it can appear super finicky before it comes together. For me, just spending a day fishing broke the back of it quite quickly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dog nougat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TYmxR2lsvQ

Has a really dry robotic translation, but it's a neat look at Nintendo back in the 1990s.
Holy poo poo, SMB3 sold 12m in USA+Canada? 3m in Japan is impressive enough given the size of the market but I had no idea it had that much market penetration in America.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

magimix posted:

Think 'slow taps' - presses, really. It isn't a 'test your might' kind of thing. With a little bit of practice, it is fairly easy to find the right cadance of presses to have the target-region to rise and fall as you need it, but it can appear super finicky before it comes together. For me, just spending a day fishing broke the back of it quite quickly.

One of my mistakes was pressng the button at all in some cases. Like I just caught a fish that didn't move from the bottom.

I sorta get it now... Thanks all.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, SMB3 sold 12m in USA+Canada? 3m in Japan is impressive enough given the size of the market but I had no idea it had that much market penetration in America.

I think it helps that SMB3 is the greatest Super Mario Brothers and potentially video game of all time. It is certainly my joint favourite ever!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Modus Pwnens posted:

Tiny Barbarian is pretty neat

Can I say, I really appreciate the fact that the first episode is about a snake cult.

"Just another snake cult."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VG! posted:

I think it helps that SMB3 is the greatest Super Mario Brothers and potentially video game of all time. It is certainly my joint favourite ever!

I have a tough time deciding between 3 and World. I don't have a tough time deciding that Yoshi's Island is the best platformer ever, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“DACK FAYDEN”" post="“477276094”"]
[/quote]

It was so pervasively marketed at the time as well. I can still recite the "mar-i-o, mar-i-o" ad by heart, it had tie ins with popular movies, it hit at the height of the NES's popularity, there were multiple sat-am live and animated shows, cereal, toys, merch. It was everywhere.

Now that's normal, since we know Mario is as much a brand as he is a video game character, but back then it was huge.

[quote="“The Bloop”" post="“477276720”"]
I have a tough time deciding between 3 and World. I don’t have a tough time deciding that Yoshi’s Island is the best platformer ever, though.
[/quote]

Tough choice, but this pretty much cements the fact that super Mario all stars + world is the single greatest cartridge ever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When I was a kid I thought they really got all those people to make that Mario face for the commercial

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“Al Borland Corp.”" post="“477277002”"]
When I was a kid I thought they really got all those people to make that Mario face for the commercial
[/quote]

I was blown away by that ad as well. I also went to see The Wizard in theaters specifically just to see the Mario 3 gameplay featured in it. I had heard that it was shown in a scene and I was sold immediately on watching the film.

Pre-YouTube life was weird.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kurtofan posted:

edge gave mario odyssey 10/10

also they say there's about as many moons in super mario odyssey as there are korok seeds in botw

I'm looking forward to the 100% Moon Collection Run at SGDQ next year. :v:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
10/10 hahaha this goddamn perfect system hasn't even been out a full year yet. only 17 days baby jump up

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Now that's normal, since we know Mario is as much a brand as he is a video game character, but back then it was huge.
The narrator in that video asked Miyamoto whether Mario could be as big as Mickey Mouse one day and he said "Mickey Mouse is 50 years old. We have to wait until Mario turns 50 and then we can talk."

He definitely overestimated how long that would take.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Is Switch the best launch year console ever? I can't think of anything else that had such a ridiculous run of titles in its opening 10 months.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kurtofan posted:

edge gave mario odyssey 10/10

also they say there's about as many moons in super mario odyssey as there are korok seeds in botw

:psyboom: 120 and 240 was already a lot, but 900? Good grief!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Is Switch the best launch year console ever? I can't think of anything else that had such a ridiculous run of titles in its opening 10 months.

Dreamcast 😥

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pretty sure Skyrim comes out on November 11th. I was on the US e-Shop last night,

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyboom: 120 and 240 was already a lot, but 900? Good grief!

Somehow I don't think that's actually true

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think there are 600 moons

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

My guess is 840 moons and they're generally a lot easier to get than traditional stars

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It looked like there were moons of varying worth too? Like there are moons you can find just for doing some simple puzzle or trick and then there are ones that are like a normal star.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

120 moons, then you get transported into a room with 780 moons and no enemies.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I hope the reward for finding all the moons is similar to the one for finding all the korok seeds in botw

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I hope the reward for finding all the moons is similar to the one for finding all the korok seeds in botw

Shirtless Mario in every level

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just noticed the Mario Odyssey orchestral theme (not Jump Up) sounds a lot like the village theme from koholint island in Link's Awakening

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Spellman posted:

I think there are 600 moons

There's moon moons.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that's no moons

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

How many hearts, stars, horseshoes, & clovers, though?

What about the pot of gold and rainbows, or the red balloons?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

deadwing posted:

Shirtless Mario in every level

From the recent Eurogamer stream it costs 1,000 coins to see Mario's nipples

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
in the last set of footage the counter for one world was 69 moons just for that world and having 900 about be about 13 worlds, and it does seems like its going to be 13-15 levels at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nice

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

10 out of 10 in EDGE

Almost as many moons as seeds in BotW

Comes out in 16 days

I want new perfect Mario so bad right now

Vikar Jerome posted:

in the last set of footage the counter for one world was 69 moons just for that world and having 900 about be about 13 worlds, and it does seems like its going to be 13-15 levels at least.

Nice

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Vikar Jerome posted:

Nice

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just gently caress me up with moons

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You collect all 666 moons and unlock the blood moon.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Do we know if Luigi is playable in Odyssey?

Gonna be extremely disappointed if he's not.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is EDGE a good source for game reviews? I started ignoring reviews ages ago because so many websites were garbage.

Louisgod posted:

Do we know if Luigi is playable in Odyssey?

Gonna be extremely disappointed if he's not.

I'd lean on no because of all the dressup you can do with Mario in this game that would need to be converted to Luigi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

probably the best way to determine a review's worth is to read it and ask yourself how much you relate to the reviewer and whether or not the things they liked are things you also like and things they didn't like are things you also don't like

• Locked thread