Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ratchild13 posted:

I've beat the Vortex campaign as Skrolk, the rats are the best so far, even more fun than VC, despite their morale shortcomings. From reading the rest of the thread, I can't tell if others are able to continue painting the map once the vortex last battle is done. I get a turn or 2 past the last battle, and on the next end turn, it auto dumps me to the campaign recap replay. Is this just for skaven or do all the lords not get to continue?

I also found the intervention and chaos/skaven army spawns frustrating, I lost 4 or 5 cities during the last ritual, as even with a full stack garrisoned in a city, 5 armies spawning on it was a bit much. They rolled that, and just swarmed down not south america rolling up a few cities. Elves, Delves, and Lizards also dropped intervention armies on my capital at the same time, so once they got rolled, I was able to crush the 5 skaven armies. Only once during all 5 rituals did a chaos army actually spawn at sea and work its way to my empire to get intercepted and wrecked.

Once you're on the recap screen there's a button to continue the campaign and then you can just keep playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pendent posted:

I'm really hoping they lost anti-large because they get explosive damage like the Warp Lightning Cannons.

I was hoping for this too since there's a bit of Dwarf lore that suggested they used explosive shells for their cannons, which is rad and cool...

KPC_Mammon posted:

Their accuracy went way up. People are reporting that cannons are better even with the damage nerf.

...but I'll take this too, particularly if it means you can reliably counter-battery against enemy artillery with Dwarf Cannons.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

now do dwarf cannons vs rat cannons

I haven't tried but i wouldn't be surprised if the dwarfs won that, since the dwarf cannon is much smaller than the war lightning cannon right?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Can you turn that around and play as the skaven? How well does that hold up if the skaven are screening with slaves, using spells and have a cannon or catapult of their own?

It's a serious argument, on paper the dawi look great. But on paper dino's look great to, yet get wrecked by Net of Amyntok and shooting, or single target magic.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 11, 2017

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The AI is laughably bad at using Skaven so it's no surprise they got crushed

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I was hoping for this too since there's a bit of Dwarf lore that suggested they used explosive shells for their cannons, which is rad and cool...

Yeah, this would be cool and make them pretty different from the Empire's Great Cannons too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, in the hands of a human player, Skaven are extremely powerful mostly because they get a lot of abilities that you can creatively use to gently caress with the AI. Coupled with an army that encourages a cavalier attitude with the safety of your core units, and you get a dangerous combination.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Fans posted:

The AI is laughably bad at using Skaven so it's no surprise they got crushed

It was more about how many kills they got before getting into melee, which is pretty impressive. Also flame cannons went from never use to always use.

I did a quick test of a bunch of cannons vs warp lightning cannons and the cannons won easily. The cannons get the first volley off which is a part of that. The size of the warp lightning cannon is probably part of this as well since the cannons seem more accurate.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

The "gently caress Elves" thing is fully baked into the Warhammer lore so that it's totally justified because while they are ostensibly the good guys, they are lovely and arrogant and annoy even the factions that like them.

Back in the pre-empire times when the dark elves split from the high elves and hosed off from Ulthuan. One of the things they did was start raiding dwarven caravans and ships while flying the Ulthuan flag in masse. When the dwarven ambassador went to the pheonix king to try and figure out what the gently caress, the elf king refused to tell the ambassador about the elven rebellion and when the king was pressed, instead shaved the ambassadors beard and sent it back to the dwarven king. To say this was not taken well by the dwarves was an understatement, and it sparked a war wherein the dwarves basically pushed all the perceived knife-eared scum basically out of the old world minus Athel Loren, where even the dwarves did not go. All of it could of been avoided had the high elves said "Hey, we're kind of embroiled in a civil war with Malekith here" but they chose the stupid, prideful, and arrogant option instead.

In short: gently caress Elves.

To be fair the Dwarves were almost just at fault. The ambassador didn't just try and figure out what was happening, he marched in and demanded compensation in gold and blood. And trying to explain concepts like regicide and kin-slaying to a Dwarf would just get you a blank look and maybe a belch to the face. They probably have a better idea about it after extended contact with humanity, but pre-Sigmar it would be as alien to them as pacifism to an Orc. That said the Phoenix King was a massive dick who basically hosed his people over permanently.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Another thing that would be really fun (possibly broken) is if Dwarves had a unique trait to allow artillery to be mounted on walls. Having a canonade blasting away at incoming hordes would be really awesome and suit their shootyness and mostly direct-fire artillery.

Hell, you could tie it into their research; instead of that research that gives artillery 20% missile resistance (pretty useless honestly) have it allow you to mount artillery on walls during siege defense. Its fairly deep in that branch of research so it would take a while to get, but once unlocked would help out with siege defenses. Some settlements have a cannon in their garrison which often isn't terribly useful since it can't easily shoot over the walls and things are too cramped to reliably use it against enemies that breached the walls.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Grimgor's World Tour of Kickin' Teef In will soon be underway :orks101:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
EDIT: Quote is not edit!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Panfilo posted:

Another thing that would be really fun (possibly broken) is if Dwarves had a unique trait to allow artillery to be mounted on walls. Having a canonade blasting away at incoming hordes would be really awesome and suit their shootyness and mostly direct-fire artillery.

Hell, you could tie it into their research; instead of that research that gives artillery 20% missile resistance (pretty useless honestly) have it allow you to mount artillery on walls during siege defense. Its fairly deep in that branch of research so it would take a while to get, but once unlocked would help out with siege defenses. Some settlements have a cannon in their garrison which often isn't terribly useful since it can't easily shoot over the walls and things are too cramped to reliably use it against enemies that breached the walls.

Yeah, personally I find it kind of lame that my Solar Engine Bastiladons can't fire over walls despite clearly firing things that would arc over walls without issue. Might as well not even have them in sieges at all sometimes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

20 units of peasants swarms vs 20 units of skavenslaves, gogogogo

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I definitely like the idea overall, but it was pretty hilarious when you could get the cannons into a position where they can fire down into an open gate and can just farm hundreds of kills from very short range.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, in the hands of a human player, Skaven are extremely powerful mostly because they get a lot of abilities that you can creatively use to gently caress with the AI. Coupled with an army that encourages a cavalier attitude with the safety of your core units, and you get a dangerous combination.

Yeah Skaven are so fun to play. I'm used to playing Total War as "keep your army as intact as possible" and it's kind of refreshing to play an army that relies on sacrificing your own troops in enormous numbers so a few elites can do the heavy lifting, it feels different than how Vampire Counts were played too. Big fan of the ability that makes your unit explode and damage everything around it, that's a ton of fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly, I doubt those dug up balance changes are set in stone, but we'll see when ME comes out. Speaking of, here's a bigger interview with PCGamer that goes into victory mechanics a little bit. http://www.pcgamer.com/how-total-war-warhammer-2s-free-mortal-empires-campaign-plans-to-glue-both-games-together/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

peasants are not in for some reason, lol

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah Skaven are so fun to play. I'm used to playing Total War as "keep your army as intact as possible" and it's kind of refreshing to play an army that relies on sacrificing your own troops in enormous numbers so a few elites can do the heavy lifting, it feels different than how Vampire Counts were played too. Big fan of the ability that makes your unit explode and damage everything around it, that's a ton of fun.

My favorite thing about Warp Bomb is that it's not just a braindead "explode these units" ability; you have to think about how to drop the Clanrat summon in a place where it's most likely to reach 50% health without routing away from the enemy mass, or at least it'll be entangled in enough enemies when it reaches 50% health while running for their lives. Too close and they'll start running due to a shitload of morale penalties, too far and they'll end up snaring only a cavalry unit or whatever.

Generally, a good solution involves bombing the poor bastards while they're drowning in enemies, and then blowing them up.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mordja posted:

Honestly, I doubt those dug up balance changes are set in stone, but we'll see when ME comes out. Speaking of, here's a bigger interview with PCGamer that goes into victory mechanics a little bit. http://www.pcgamer.com/how-total-war-warhammer-2s-free-mortal-empires-campaign-plans-to-glue-both-games-together/

So apparently the Chaos invasion's still in Mortal Empires. I seriously hope they drastically tweak it otherwise playing as a Old World faction is gonna suck until you deal with it. Nobody wants to be stuck milling around Kislev, ignoring the other bloody half of the map until Archaon shows up for his customary swirly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

My favorite thing about Warp Bomb is that it's not just a braindead "explode these units" ability; you have to think about how to drop the Clanrat summon in a place where it's most likely to reach 50% health without routing away from the enemy mass, or at least it'll be entangled in enough enemies when it reaches 50% health while running for their lives.

Easiest way is to time a Warp lightning barrage to both blast the guys the clanrats will immediately fight, and wing the Clanrats themselves just enough to get them to that threshold as quickly as possible.

Getting 3 enemy units clustered around the Menace Below summon only to double-tap both AoEs results in massive enemy casualties. The warp bomb is also incredible vs enemies all jammed up inside gates.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jeza posted:

Yeah, personally I find it kind of lame that my Solar Engine Bastiladons can't fire over walls despite clearly firing things that would arc over walls without issue. Might as well not even have them in sieges at all sometimes.

The Gate provinces on Ulthuan drive me insane. It has a special garrison with Bolt Throwers but no way for them to shoot over the wall consistently. There's a tiny raised platform that teases you with the possibility but it's garbage in practice and there's only a couple tiny areas where things perfectly line up and let you get a shot off

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

So apparently the Chaos invasion's still in Mortal Empires. I seriously hope they drastically tweak it otherwise playing as a Old World faction is gonna suck until you deal with it. Nobody wants to be stuck milling around Kislev, ignoring the other bloody half of the map until Archaon shows up for his customary swirly.

I mean, I'm sure the New World factions will have to deal with Chaos too.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is allowing artillery on walls something a mod could enable?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SickZip posted:

The Gate provinces on Ulthuan drive me insane. It has a special garrison with Bolt Throwers but no way for them to shoot over the wall consistently. There's a tiny raised platform that teases you with the possibility but it's garbage in practice and there's only a couple tiny areas where things perfectly line up and let you get a shot off

I had good luck positioning them behind the gates to mow down anyone who breaks in, but yeah, I agree.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

John Charity Spring posted:

Once you're on the recap screen there's a button to continue the campaign and then you can just keep playing.

I did that, and it let me do one more turn, then it goes right back to the recap screen every time. I just want to drown the world in rats!

ratchild13 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 11, 2017

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Ahh. That was satisfying. Behold the Eternity King!

I noticed a few achievements not triggering for building landmarks. Also, Khemri doesn't have a built-in garrison for Dark Elves for some reason. Too spooky to move in to? Otherwise, I'm taking a break to bask in my VH victory for a week or so.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

CA has a person on reddit who says the date for the combined map might not be right, might be later

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

William Bear posted:

Ahh. That was satisfying. Behold the Eternity King!

I noticed a few achievements not triggering for building landmarks. Also, Khemri doesn't have a built-in garrison for Dark Elves for some reason. Too spooky to move in to? Otherwise, I'm taking a break to bask in my VH victory for a week or so.

That is nuts! Kudos to you! 300 turns seems like a short time do paint the map, most games last ~150 turns to the final ritual.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Other things I hope they do with dwarves in Mortal Empires:

-Engineers normally get a skill that improves tower rate of fire but it is situational and takes a long time to get. Instead, have it just be a passive that the engineer gets by default but now only gives +8% rate of fire. However, the research that gives artillery +15% rate is fire also gives defense towers +7% rate of fire now. So combined you could have a walled minor settlement that comes with a engineer in the garrison could give +15% faster defense tower Projectiles.

-Have each Lord get some skills that also discount research time on certain techs. Right now a lot of capstone research for dwarves takes forever. But if each point in say Thwoppa Thwoppa shaved off 5% on copter research time you could access this stuff much sooner.

-Some research needs looking at.
Artillery entrenchment: Now lets you mount artillery on walls durian G defensive sieges.
Recite ancient grudges: Gives all infantry more resistance to getting knocked down as well as more vigor.
Storage holds: Bonus ammo and vigor during siege defenses.

Take all the '+x% income to industrial building' research and change them. None of these are worth the time investment to squeeze 30 more gold out of. Instead, have them allow you to share the bonuses from special buildings; if you have a trade deal with a faction that gets local magic resist from obsidian mines, for example, you get it too. This gives a benefit to trading beyond money; late game virtually every production building could give dwarves a ton of local bonuses (upkeep reduction, public order, untainted, etc)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How is technology research time calculated anyway?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How is technology research time calculated anyway?

Starts at 100% and various abilities can increase or slow it. Steal Technology, the new agent ability for example speeds your research and slows enemy research (really annoying when the AI spams it on your cities)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

That is nuts! Kudos to you! 300 turns seems like a short time do paint the map, most games last ~150 turns to the final ritual.

I was thinking the same, but as your income scales up you field more armies and you can start to ruin everyone at once. It's not unreasonable to think most of the map painting was fast and late.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Augh, sometimes the rules on the strategic layer around sieges can be a bit weird. I was playing as Squeek, sieging an enemy Skaven capital with Queek's army and an additional stack right behind him as reinforcements. The capital had a fairly beefy garrison and a full stack sitting inside on top of it, so I wanted to build a set or two of siege towers before having a go at it.

Except after a turn or two, an enemy half-stack comes in from the fog of war and attacks Queek's army. And because he's Skaven too, he gets lucky and somehow manages to ambush Queek's army on the march even though he's been sitting in place for a couple turns. And because it's an ambush, I don't get any reinforcements, but he gets the army in the city and the garrison to help him out. I still almost pulled it off, but the dude had like a thousand Night/Gutter runners on skirmish mode and at this stage in the game I had nothing capable of catching them.

:negative:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Yeah, by the end, I had 12 armies of elite troops, including Malekith's personal dragon squad. I was taking 2 settlements every turn.

I did the final ritual at 187. (I already conquered Naggaroth and Ulthuan by this time.)
I conquered the whole of Lustria by 250.
The Southlands were unified in turn 282 when Kroq-gar's capital and Primal Fury army fell.
I then took some turns finishing building landmarks for achievements and wiping out the rogue armies.

To my surprise, there was difficulty right up to the end. Karak Zorn was fielding stacks of ironbreakers and artillery and Kroq-gar took out Morathi with a blessed carnosaur. Also, the people of Araby wouldn't stop rebelling, no matter how many torture posts I built, until I stationed an army there full-time.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hello Hams Friends. I come seeking aid and advice on military strategy and tactics to assist my glorious lizardmen in their eternal quest to be regarded as Cool Hipsters by the Old Ones.

I'm currently on turn 137 in a normal Mazdamundi campaign. It's my first foray back with a Total War game since Medieval II, so I'm struggling a little bit with everything (map strategy, battle tactics, army composition choices, etc.) Gonna fire off a few questions, hopefully get some feedback, and then see where the next 20 or so turns take us!

1. What is the ideal cost-effective lizardman army people are using around the mid/late game? I'm currently running 12+ sauruses because I read from the thread that sauruses rule, but their cost may be holding me back. I saw someone post a few pages ago about a 5-saurus, infinity-javelin-skink army and that sounds like it might be awesome both in terms of autoresolve power and also cost effectiveness, but wanted to get others' thoughts on lizardmen army comps (particularly for fighting skaven and high elves.)

2. I'm currently sitting on Mirror Pool of Tepok and Vaul's Anvil as my only ritual resource sites. I am just now getting to the 3rd ritual, while both high elves and skaven are already started on their 4th ritual. At turn 137, is it too late for me to turn this thing around and catch up? I'd rather win on my merits versus winning via that final copout battle if I lose the race, but if that's how things go with my first campaign it's not the end of the world. There's always next campaign.

What should my strategy be to catch up at this point? Should I rush remaining ritual resource sites (even backstabbing allies to do so?) Should I be seeking to delete high elves and skaven ritual factions from the map instead?

3. As of turn 137, I currently own the following 5 provinces: Isthmus of Lustria, Forests of the Viper, Coast of Squanching (thanks quill18), Jungle of Pahualaxa, and Jungles of Green Mist. My question here is: am I doing terribly in terms of territory acquisition and economic strength or about where I should be?

With my four standing armies I am at about a 4.8k gold profit each turn. Should I be seeking a far more profitable economy and focus on expanding, or am I ok to just build tall from my current position and send crusades at key ritual targets from here on out?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm curious to see what they did with the elite unit skills (the ones that trigger only when the unit is gold chevron rank), since I feel like WH2 did some really cool stuff with them.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm curious to see what they did with the elite unit skills (the ones that trigger only when the unit is gold chevron rank), since I feel like WH2 did some really cool stuff with them.

Same, and I hope they took the opportunity to differentiate e.g. the Runelords' army trees a little more too.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

William Bear posted:

Also, the people of Araby wouldn't stop rebelling, no matter how many torture posts I built, until I stationed an army there full-time.

The beatings will continue untill morale improves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

William Bear posted:

Also, the people of Araby wouldn't stop rebelling, no matter how many torture posts I built, until I stationed an army there full-time.

natural insurgents, those Arabs