Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shirec posted:

That house is hella haunted

Wouldn't even care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My friend had boxes of laminate flooring sitting around so now I get to cry into my subfloor as I square off an old house.

Wish me luck everyone.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

My friend had boxes of laminate flooring sitting around so now I get to cry into my subfloor as I square off an old house.

Wish me luck everyone.

I am watching with rapt attention because I'm soon going to do the same thing.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wish me luck everyone.

Is that real Dorothy Draper wallpaper? Is it coming or going?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Jaded Burnout posted:

I am watching with rapt attention because I'm soon going to do the same thing.

I'll post what I've learned and what I really used wrt to tools. My friend came over and helped me but I have to go back and fix everything because her sloppy jigsaw work is bothering me and will be hard to finish and I also hosed up at the threshold. I have a diamond tipped vinyl saw blade now and I don't even own a miter/table saw. But it's been a great learning experience.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Is that real Dorothy Draper wallpaper? Is it coming or going?

It is a decal from rockymountaindecals on etsy. I think someone did an outline/photoshop job because from what I've seen the real stuff has a larger pattern. It's literally 10'x3' sticky, removable vinyl. Despite being dark it really made the room look much bigger. Definitely staying.

This is what it looks like with all my other furniture with swag light that needs more cord. The light is real teak wood and I found it at a vintage shop in knoxville.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 9, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Apropos of nothing other than the fact that I like your light, the Ikea fake-filament A19 bulbs are pretty sweet. They're too dim to use as the only light source in a room (35W equivalent), but they are nice and warm and look great in fixtures with exposed bulbs. There are other sizes as well if you need a more globe-like light. Amazon has a ton too for people who aren't near The Swedish Wrecker Of Relationships, but I don't know what they look like in person.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Wish me luck everyone.

I hear going diagonal is good for this since it's harder to see where the lines aren't parallel. I am, of course, a rank amateur that did diagonal flooring on my first room because I thought it looked nice. I didn't hear about the line benefit until well after and am now weighing the aesthetics of continuous, transition-free flooring throughout my entire house versus diagonal in all the rooms with transitions at each doorway.

Decisions, decisions.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Probably impossible without a table saw though

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

theflyingexecutive posted:

Probably impossible without a table saw though

I would 100% drop the money to buy or rent a miter saw if it meant not seeing a crazy wall angle/floor mismatch. If it's just a little out of square, meh.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Wish me luck everyone.

I'm currently alternating between sanding back 50 year old Jarrah boards, working my day job, an dreaming about death.

Urgh what is this I work in IT

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Dongington posted:

I'm currently alternating between sanding back 50 year old Jarrah boards, working my day job, an dreaming about death.

Urgh what is this I work in IT

Look at that beautiful wood though :allears: What are you going to do with that room once you're finished?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Please hire an industrial floor sander :( one of those big ones that look like vacuum cleaners. For very little money you will be able to do that whole room in an hour.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Please hire an industrial floor sander :( one of those big ones that look like vacuum cleaners. For very little money you will be able to do that whole room in an hour.

Yes. And from what I've heard if you sand across the boards instead of along them (if you're not already) you'll get a smoother and flatter finish, too.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Look at that beautiful wood though :allears: What are you going to do with that room once you're finished?

That's my baby boy's room. But all 4 bedrooms and the hallway are the same. We're just going for a gentle sand and then finishing with a low gloss polyurethane lacquer, keep it a bit rustic. I'll be throwing some pics up once there's a bit more progress.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://twitter.com/Hannahfgale/status/911939980993470465

I have artex in my hallway :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I assumed this was some sort of highbrow loss edit at first and I'm still only ~93% convinced that it's not.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
So, how hard is it to undo one of those wall textures? The house I'm moving into has textured walls everywhere. Normally I'd live with it, but they're in an upstairs room I want to paint (and also have no idea what to do with).

Semi-related paint questions: This room has that ceiling-wall combination that looks kind of like a trapezoid sitting on top of a rectangle from one side (I do not know what this is called), but the angles where the ceiling meets the walls are curved, not sharp. How should I paint this? The strip of actual flat ceiling in the middle is pretty thin, too. I want to go with a pale green, but will that look weird if I continue it all the way up and do the ceiling that way too? Or should I just try to mark off a line and hope for the best?

I'm almost leaning toward trying to do a semi-ombre thing and have the wall and ceiling colors just subtly blend into each other along the angled walls (just for fun, it's a little hobby room and if it doesn't work I can repaint it later), but the texture will probably make this look weird. Thoughts?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
^^^It's a pure dusty white hell and if you have any carpet in the room it will be trashed. My dad's house had it and I remember the forever saga of having it removed.

Top right was hell if you brushed against it. So many scratched arms.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Parasol Prophet posted:

So, how hard is it to undo one of those wall textures? The house I'm moving into has textured walls everywhere. Normally I'd live with it, but they're in an upstairs room I want to paint (and also have no idea what to do with).

Semi-related paint questions: This room has that ceiling-wall combination that looks kind of like a trapezoid sitting on top of a rectangle from one side (I do not know what this is called), but the angles where the ceiling meets the walls are curved, not sharp. How should I paint this? The strip of actual flat ceiling in the middle is pretty thin, too. I want to go with a pale green, but will that look weird if I continue it all the way up and do the ceiling that way too? Or should I just try to mark off a line and hope for the best?

I'm almost leaning toward trying to do a semi-ombre thing and have the wall and ceiling colors just subtly blend into each other along the angled walls (just for fun, it's a little hobby room and if it doesn't work I can repaint it later), but the texture will probably make this look weird. Thoughts?

For the first question: it's a pain in the rear end. It's not hard, just messy and takes a while. For the swirly-looking or splatter kind on walls, you really just need a spray bottle and a sander. Dampen the surface to keep the dust down and go to town with the sanding. Make sure you cover the floor, because it gets everywhere. Getting rid of popcorn ceilings is a similar but worse process--wet it down and scrape it off. It's worse because you're basically doomed to spending hours with your hands over your head and your neck craned back.

For the second: can you post a pic? It sounds kinda like you have a tray ceiling with walls that curve up to meet the tray. If that's the case, I'd just paint everything up to the tray in the wall color. But it'd be helpful to see what you're dealing with.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Those textures can contain asbestos or lead, so you really have to test before you do anything with them.

Painting the whole room, including the ceiling, wouldn't be weird. But the ombré sounds neat too.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Power vacuum sanders are a thing, and take care of those types of wall/ceiling textures pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHabrsZxghk

Now, the Festool Planex isn't something that's in most people's budget, but cheaper options exist.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6369-Variable-Drywall-Sander/dp/B01HRL9XYI/

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Magnus Praeda posted:

For the first question: it's a pain in the rear end. It's not hard, just messy and takes a while. For the swirly-looking or splatter kind on walls, you really just need a spray bottle and a sander. Dampen the surface to keep the dust down and go to town with the sanding. Make sure you cover the floor, because it gets everywhere. Getting rid of popcorn ceilings is a similar but worse process--wet it down and scrape it off. It's worse because you're basically doomed to spending hours with your hands over your head and your neck craned back.

For the second: can you post a pic? It sounds kinda like you have a tray ceiling with walls that curve up to meet the tray. If that's the case, I'd just paint everything up to the tray in the wall color. But it'd be helpful to see what you're dealing with.

I'll try and get one when I get home. I don't think it's a tray ceiling, though-- more like the shape of a barn, I guess? But flat on top. It's the kind of room that's only like that because of how the roof slopes, if that helps.

And ugh, I was hoping you could just plaster over it or something. I have the almost-popcorn-but-not-quite that's in the first photo on that tweet. Which sounds like the most annoying to get rid of.

There's so much I feel like I need to replace/fix in this house, but just the thought of it all feels so daunting and complicated that I can't even get the motivation to start. (Not just things like textured walls-- pretty much all the trim has peeling/chipping paint, floors are stained and dirty, there are spiders everywhere... I'm pretty sure this house was vacant for much longer than I anticipated.)

For everyone who's done this kind of thing before, how do you get over this? Where do you begin?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'd do a deep clean and then touch up the paint. It's pretty crazy what a difference that makes.

If it was my house and all the essentials are ok and you're just doing cosmetics then I'd start with the flooring and trim, esp is you want to paint in the same room you want to change the floor. DIY floor project will teach you a lot and messing up won't really do any damage except for lost time and maybe some $$$

For paint my friend who used to work for sherwan williams says the more expensive paint is worth the price since it saves you time. Should be much more viscous.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 11, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'll try and get one when I get home. I don't think it's a tray ceiling, though-- more like the shape of a barn, I guess? But flat on top. It's the kind of room that's only like that because of how the roof slopes, if that helps.

And ugh, I was hoping you could just plaster over it or something. I have the almost-popcorn-but-not-quite that's in the first photo on that tweet. Which sounds like the most annoying to get rid of.

There's so much I feel like I need to replace/fix in this house, but just the thought of it all feels so daunting and complicated that I can't even get the motivation to start. (Not just things like textured walls-- pretty much all the trim has peeling/chipping paint, floors are stained and dirty, there are spiders everywhere... I'm pretty sure this house was vacant for much longer than I anticipated.)

For everyone who's done this kind of thing before, how do you get over this? Where do you begin?

So it sounds like it's really a vaulted ceiling that has a smooth transition to the walls? That makes sense. You can try to enforce a transition either with a clean line at the base of the curve or, if you want to add an architectural feature, you could put up moulding at the same point. I'd go for that, personally. It adds visual interest as well as making defining the space considerably easier.

Big projects like redecorating a house are always intimidating. I always break them down into discrete sub-projects with a list of tasks for each project. So, for example, you could break down your room project into the sub-projects of: remove wall texture, add moulding, paint, and refinish or replace floors. Then a step-by-step list of tasks for each one. Remove wall texture would be: pack and remove small items from room, consolidate furniture away from walls in center of room, cover furniture and floors with drop cloths, tape off baseboard moulding, wet down small patch of wall, begin scraping/sanding & repeat until texture is gone, clean wall with damp sponge, fix any holes or gouges with spackle and sand back, clean again. Then move on to the next sub project.

It's easy to get intimidated by an "overwhelming" list of stuff, but you kinda just have to pick something and go. Tackle it one thing at a time and you'll be amazed at how much you get done.

Also, there's nothing wrong with starting on a small project and working your way up to a bigger one. Do a deep clean like cheese suggested. (As an added benefit, if you work up a good sweat doing the cleaning you'll get the endorphin rush from the exercise as well as from doing a good job and end up with a clean house, to boot!)

As for spiders, this poo poo will kill them dead and keep them from coming back for a very long time. It is, however, very toxic so you need to wear the proper PPE (3M mask with organic vapor cartridges, goggles, gloves, etc.) and read and understand the safety instructions. Also, vacuuming and sweeping regularly really does help to keep any pests minimized.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 11, 2017

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Big projects like redecorating a house are always intimidating. I always break them down into discrete sub-projects with a list of tasks for each project. So, for example, you could break down your room project into the sub-projects of: remove wall texture, add moulding, paint, and refinish or replace floors. Then a step-by-step list of tasks for each one. Remove wall texture would be: pack and remove small items from room, consolidate furniture away from walls in center of room, cover furniture and floors with drop cloths, tape off baseboard moulding, wet down small patch of wall, begin scraping/sanding & repeat until texture is gone, clean wall with damp sponge, fix any holes or gouges with spackle and sand back, clean again. Then move on to the next sub project.

Great post. I would just like to add that small fixes often amount to big changes, so it's totally fine to start by removing the wall texture and then seeing how you feel about the room. That may have been the change you needed to make it feel a lot better, so you can hold off on doing other stuff for the time being.

I would also definitely agree to give it a deep clean. Cleaning always makes a huge difference even if it doesn't seem "that dirty". Plus, in the time you spend in the room cleaning it, you'll get a better idea of which parts of the room you like and which parts you absolutely hate. Tackle the "absolute hate" parts first and see how far that gets you.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Thanks everyone. :) This is my first time moving into a place of my own, so I'm coming from a place of complete inexperience and lots of easily-dampened ambition. I'll try the deep clean and breaking projects down, and go from there!

And yeah, I think the spiders are only this bad because no one's dealt with them for a while. They keep making webs right behind the storm door, all crouching up there like they own the place :argh:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Windex has been removing layers of paint from my doors and trim, so remember to patch test products!

I really need to repaint the doors and trim anyway, but I wasn't wanting to remove the paint yet!

What is a paint good for trim and doors? Acrylic? Our doors are also kind of sticky.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

effika posted:

Windex has been removing layers of paint from my doors and trim, so remember to patch test products!

I really need to repaint the doors and trim anyway, but I wasn't wanting to remove the paint yet!

What is a paint good for trim and doors? Acrylic? Our doors are also kind of sticky.

Having literally JUST finished painting all the trim on 1.5 floors of our house, I recommend this stuff SO MUCH:

It is so super duper good. Really long working time, self-leveling, and cures hard as absolute hell. Application is easy, use a brush, a foam roller, a sprayer, whatever works for you. If you're painting over old stuff, assuming it's not chipping and poo poo, just put some deglosser on it to etch the surface, sand out any bumps, throw on a coat of the above paint, wait 16+ hours, scuff it lightly with some 300+ grit paper, wipe it down with a tack cloth, and throw a second coat on. Congrats, now you have beautiful, invincible trim. If you're painting a color over a like base (i.e. painting white on already white trim) you likely don't even need the second coat except in spots where you had to fill or patch.

If you want a recommendation on a color, OC-65 "Chantilly Lace" is the go-to white and it looks very, very nice, it's a clean crisp white without being glaring. It really is beautiful.

All that being said, if your old paint is failing, you'll need to sand or strip it away. Citristrip worked well for me, but you gotta be SURE to get it all off before you paint (and if you strip, you'll need to prime, vs. just painting over the old paint.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just moved into a new place and have been unpacking all week, got it looking pretty homey so far. This living room is BIG. TV placement was a challenge because the mantle is way too high for a TV and we only use it once or twice a week anyways. I love that it's not just white or off white like most apartments, it's actually nicely painted and the scheme goes perfectly with our chair. Any thoughts?

I still don't like the TV/media computer setup, it feels messy. Also my "office" is in that closet which actually works out ok.

There's also only 1 outlet in each room, if you're lucky, so that makes placement of stuff hard as well. The only outlet in the living room is behind the radiator, so the TV and amp and turn table are powered via an extension cord going over the mantle...

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Would it be easier to just strip a textured wall back to the studs and redrywall it? I know materials would be more expensive, but I would think it would save on time and mess, even with having to mud and sand. Additionally, less likely to gently caress up the carpet, right?

Edit: that’s assuming the wall isn’t plaster and lathe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Textured walls will come back in fashion soon enough, just leave it and wait IMO. Everything is too smooth and shiney these days.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Sherwin-WIlliams color of the year for 2018

and

Benjamin Moore color of the year for 2018

I like the SW (sea green basically), but Moore's is a red and I'm not a big fan of red walls.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm the opposite - I think the SW is way too heavy/dark for more than a small dose of it in any given area, but the Moore's is just fine.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

They are both ugly and I wouldn't want either on my walls.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I like that red but it wouldn’t work with my cabinets: srill hunting for something to go with pumpkin and royal blue. My kitchen is Mexico themed

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Parasol Prophet posted:

Thanks everyone. :) This is my first time moving into a place of my own, so I'm coming from a place of complete inexperience and lots of easily-dampened ambition.

Since it sounds like a long running thing perhaps start a thread? That way you won't feel like you're entirely on your own even if it's just a peanut gallery.

My 6 month rip-to-the-studs renovation is coming to the end so the builders will shortly be leaving and I'll be tackling a whole house of flooring and painting too, so I'd deffo follow your thread.

Also perhaps some well-placed tools could speed you along and make the work more comfortable, like a strong sander, a good respirator, and a hop-up. Plus lots of prep like putting up dust doors (I found this style works very well) and drop cloths.

If the work is comfortable and contained it might be less daunting to attack than knowing you're going to make a huge sweaty mess, and will allow you to more easily tackle one room at a time.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 12, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Textured walls will come back in fashion soon enough, just leave it and wait IMO. Everything is too smooth and shiney these days.

My parents' house is all plaster on blueboard, and the look of the arcs of well-applied plaster is just so much nicer than skimcoat on drywall.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Parasol Prophet posted:

Thanks everyone. :) This is my first time moving into a place of my own, so I'm coming from a place of complete inexperience and lots of easily-dampened ambition. I'll try the deep clean and breaking projects down, and go from there!

Yeah, it can be tough. The advice I was given and give is: start with small, quick projects. You feel like you are getting things done and that positive feed back can help to propel you to the next. As a new and inexperienced home owner you'll find yourself going to the home center A LOT mid project and its maddening, but the more experienced you become the better you will plan and anticipate. It feels good to look back and see your improvement.

We have had three projects that sat in various states of completion for a few months, but motivation struck recently and we're back at it. The big one is stripping 100 years of paint off of the wood work in our hallway. It was an ill advised project, but it will look so much better once we're done.

All that said, I don't really know what I'm doing either :)

Dukket fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 12, 2017

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Dukket posted:

Sherwin-WIlliams color of the year for 2018

and

Benjamin Moore color of the year for 2018

I like the SW (sea green basically), but Moore's is a red and I'm not a big fan of red walls.

They're both nice but also bullshit. Go back through all the "color forecasts" for the 2010s - every year it's some interesting tint or shade of some rainbow hue. And yet, the only "color trends" from this decade are grey, white, dark grey, and greige.

I'm thinking of painting our dining room red underneath the chair rail. I think it can look really good if the room is large enough and the red isn't right up to the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

They're both nice but also bullshit. Go back through all the "color forecasts" for the 2010s - every year it's some interesting tint or shade of some rainbow hue. And yet, the only "color trends" from this decade are grey, white, dark grey, and greige.

"Colours we can get pigment for cheap of the year 2018"

vonnegutt posted:

I'm thinking of painting our dining room red underneath the chair rail. I think it can look really good if the room is large enough and the red isn't right up to the ceiling.

Agreed. I want to darken my office (bright glare while working ugh) and I like a blood red but in a room that small I don't think it'll work. Might have to be that dark blue everyone did their home offices in last year.