Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe the answer is no because that stuff is determined by your phones RAM management on an OS level.

Thanks. I was afraid it might be something like this based on what I could find online before asking, but since my music player doesn't have the same problem, I was hoping that there might be some obscure in-app setting/permission that I had missed. I take it there's no workaround or way to set an exception for specific apps?

Unbelievably White posted:

Strangely, I've never had this problem with PA. Are you hitting the X by accident? Try just unplugging your headphones briefly instead.

Definitely not - I've been messing around with it trying to figure this out for a few weeks now. Also, it's possible to resume if I tap the "play" icon immediately; it's just that the PA controls disappear from the lock screen a few seconds after pausing. (If I access the controls on the AOD by double-tapping the podcast title, they disappear a few seconds after pausing and the phone goes back to the main AOD screen, now minus the podcast title.) So exactly the sort of behavior you would expect if the problem is as Incessant Excess describes.

Unplugging the headphones has the same results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Atahualpa posted:

Thanks. I was afraid it might be something like this based on what I could find online before asking, but since my music player doesn't have the same problem, I was hoping that there might be some obscure in-app setting/permission that I had missed. I take it there's no workaround or way to set an exception for specific apps?

Definitely not - I've been messing around with it trying to figure this out for a few weeks now. Also, it's possible to resume if I tap the "play" icon immediately; it's just that the PA controls disappear from the lock screen a few seconds after pausing. (If I access the controls on the AOD by double-tapping the podcast title, they disappear a few seconds after pausing and the phone goes back to the main AOD screen, now minus the podcast title.) So exactly the sort of behavior you would expect if the problem is as Incessant Excess describes.

Unplugging the headphones has the same results.

Definitely not what I see in Pocket Casts using it exactly as you describe. In fact, the controls are still there if come back hours later.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

maltesh posted:

Seconded. If you're fairly decent with Javascript, it would probably be /fairly/ straightforward scan the events from one calendar, parse a time and date from the title, and post them to another calendar using the Google Apps Scripting, (which despite the name, works on any Google Account) I've been using the scripting to do calendar (and other) things for years.
I'm not at all, I kinda know enough to be able to modify an existing script. I'd be willing to paypal someone a couple bucks if they helped me out. As far as catching updates, the schedule gets posted once a month and changes are rare. If they do change it goes out in an email. So if I just had a script I could run once a month to move everything that would be sweet.

LastInLine posted:

I've got to know, what's their reasoning for putting the times in the title instead of in the event? I love corporate logic so much and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this.
Its a small business, maybe 20 people? The owner writes the schedule. I have no idea what his reasoning for it. I do know the format makes it super easy for him to see if all shifts are covered for the day. I could maybe point it out to him, but I really doubt it would change.

EDIT: If I had to take a guess, I bet he has a spreadsheet that spits out how many hours he has to go around for each day. He fills the schedule in based on that and probably lazily copy and pastes it from the sheet into the calendar. Or uses a bad script.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 11, 2017

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there an augmented reality Android app that overlays translation of text in real time? I thought this was the promise of "goggles" from the beginning, but whenever I try it, it ends up being a waste of time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

peepsalot posted:

Is there an augmented reality Android app that overlays translation of text in real time? I thought this was the promise of "goggles" from the beginning, but whenever I try it, it ends up being a waste of time.

Do you mean like the camera feature in Google Translate?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Microsoft's Translator app as well.

The major caveat is that it only works in real time for a select few languages and directions. (ie spanish to english) This is true for google's app just as much.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

peepsalot posted:

This got built into Google Translate after they bought WordLens

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've used it in Google Translate to great effect when traveling abroad when trying to figure out menus, road signs, etc.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

eSporks posted:

I'm not at all, I kinda know enough to be able to modify an existing script. I'd be willing to paypal someone a couple bucks if they helped me out. As far as catching updates, the schedule gets posted once a month and changes are rare. If they do change it goes out in an email. So if I just had a script I could run once a month to move everything that would be sweet.

All right, here you go. This half-assed kludgy Google Script will /probably/ do the following:

Searching between the first day of last month and the last day of next month, it should:
* Optionally (If CLEAR_CALENDAR_IN_RANGE = true) delete all events on the calendar TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME in the range
* Find all calendar events in the owned/subscribed calendar named by SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME that have the string denoted by SEARCH_STRING in the title,
* Create an event on the owned calendar named by TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME on the same day using the QuickAdd syntax to input time information.

It is based on the assumption that the last thing in the title of each event will always be the time range, and there will be no spaces in the time range (e.g, it will always be something like "10-6")

There are likely quite a few ways it can fail, I would not recommend pointing the TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME variable at any Google Calendar on your account that you care about personally.

https://pastebin.com/shxTGi74

Edit: documentation on using Google Scripts can be found here: https://developers.google.com/apps-script/overview
and the specifics of the basic CalendarApp class here

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 12, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

maltesh posted:

All right, here you go. This half-assed kludgy Google Script will /probably/ do the following:

Searching between the first day of last month and the last day of next month, it should:
* Optionally (If CLEAR_CALENDAR_IN_RANGE = true) delete all events on the calendar TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME in the range
* Find all calendar events in the owned/subscribed calendar named by SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME that have the string denoted by SEARCH_STRING in the title,
* Create an event on the owned calendar named by TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME on the same day using the QuickAdd syntax to input time information.

It is based on the assumption that the last thing in the title of each event will always be the time range, and there will be no spaces in the time range (e.g, it will always be something like "10-6")

There are likely quite a few ways it can fail, I would not recommend pointing the TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME variable at any Google Calendar on your account that you care about personally.

https://pastebin.com/shxTGi74

Edit: documentation on using Google Scripts can be found here: https://developers.google.com/apps-script/overview
and the specifics of the basic CalendarApp class here
Awesome thanks, I will give this a shot later when I haven't been drinking, but I think it might have problem.

TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME and SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME refer to 2 different calendars on the same google account, correct? Ideally I'd like to import things to a separate account, but if that is a limitation, that is fine.
I think the bigger issue is that you underestimated how lovely this calendar is set up. In the screen shot, each color code is a separate calendar. Sales location 1, service location 1, sales location 2, service location 2 etc. It's entirely possible my name could be on 1 of 4 calendars for this google account on any given day.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

eSporks posted:

It's entirely possible my name could be on 1 of 4 calendars for this google account on any given day.

I love your boss

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This is what happens when non tech people get a hold of technology they know just enough about that it makes things easier for them. I am probably one of those people myself.
This schedule system probably works fantastic for the guy that comes in more or less when he feels like it and just needs to see who is working on what days and make sure its all covered. It doesn't work for anyone else though.

Having a monthly schedule that can only be viewed accurately in day view is pretty poo poo. If I knew his work flow better, I'd suggest some changes to make it more functional. Based on his personality I just know that if I bring it up at all without having a solution he won't care because it obviously works for him.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 12, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This is the stuff, I love it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

eSporks posted:

Awesome thanks, I will give this a shot later when I haven't been drinking, but I think it might have problem.

TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME and SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME refer to 2 different calendars on the same google account, correct? Ideally I'd like to import things to a separate account, but if that is a limitation, that is fine.
I think the bigger issue is that you underestimated how lovely this calendar is set up. In the screen shot, each color code is a separate calendar. Sales location 1, service location 1, sales location 2, service location 2 etc. It's entirely possible my name could be on 1 of 4 calendars for this google account on any given day.

It can be run on a separate account, but that account must have some access to the calendars the script uses.

The user must own the calendar named TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME, as the script needs to be able to add/delete events on that calendar. Again, be careful where you point that one; it can delete/lots/ of events on the target calendar.

The user does not have to own the calendar named SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME; they can subscribe to the calendar and have that calendar in the "Other Calendars" section of the account the script is being run on. You can hide them from viewing on the calendar, if you so desire.

For proper operation, each calendar must be the only one with that name on the account.

But you need to have it use up to four calendars. Okay, then... Hopefully this works; not robustly tested, will probably break if event title format deviates significantly.

https://pastebin.com/5KbV5WwN

SOURCE_CALENDAR_LIST is now an array of unique-on-the-account Calendar names, each subject to the same limitations SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME had in the original.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

eSporks posted:

This is what happens when non tech people get a hold of technology they know just enough about that it makes things easier for them. I am probably one of those people myself.
This schedule system probably works fantastic for the guy that comes in more or less when he feels like it and just needs to see who is working on what days and make sure its all covered. It doesn't work for anyone else though.

Having a monthly schedule that can only be viewed accurately in day view is pretty poo poo. If I knew his work flow better, I'd suggest some changes to make it more functional. Based on his personality I just know that if I bring it up at all without having a solution he won't care because it obviously works for him.

It's great, since he COULD keep his personal idiotic calendar and just copy events to some newly-made employee calendars with edit permissions so they could make their actual calendars relevant. He can't perform that action from mobile apps (which I suspect is his reason for having such an awful calendar setup), but it's a simple few minutes of work on the desktop (create new NAME calendar, copy event to NAME calendar). After making the new calendar(s), he can even do the copying on mobile.

You could probably walk him through the setups, and the worst he'd deal with after that would be about twenty extra clicks per week. He wouldn't even have to fix his dumb all-day scheme, since he'd just do an event copy to whichever employee needs to handle that day and they could fix it to be relevant (or not fix it, if they're all doddering weirdos who like his scheme).

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 12, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ok, the script is kinda working, but its only working every other day? I can't seem to find any reason for that. Its also still coping my shifts over as an all day event, instead of scheduling in the time. I'm OK with this I guess since my main goal is just to see only my shifts.

You again underestimated how bad this schedule is. I need to somehow know which of the 4 schedules it pulled form for a specific day. Since each schedule is a different location, i need to know which one to drive to lol! I'm cool with a simple "esporks L1 10-7" or "esporks L2 10-7" etc.
Wether or not we can get this working, I'll buy you a forums upgrade for your work.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 13, 2017

maltesh
May 20, 2004

No worries; after 13 years, I've pretty much picked up every forums uprade I wanted at this point.

Okay. Getting the name of the calendar it came from is pretty much straightforward. as we have that in the original array.

The events still being /all-day/ events is baffling. I /suspect/ that the actual titles of the events actually have a bunch of spaces at the end, so the script isn't pulling the correct piece of split string and the event is created initially without specifying a time string. I can think of a few ways around that, if that turns out to be the case.

Question: what does it look like when a schedule doesn't start or end on the hour, e.g. someone has to work from 8:30 AM to 1:15 PM, or thereabouts?

Only grabbing every other day is even more baffling. Possibly API limits on the number of create event in a short period of time? That can also be worked around ,but it'll probably take me a little while to put something together.

If that doesn't ultimately fix it, though, I'll probably have to throw in the towel.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

All right, third and final try. That's about all I can think of to do without having the calendar on hand to experiment on.

Title of events is now just SEARCH_STRING concatenated with name of the source calendar, but the source calendar, title of the original event, and the Quickadd syntax used to create the event now appear in the event description.

https://pastebin.com/k9iwh1uP

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The whole time that I have been there, everyone has started on the hour.

This new one more or less works. A couple days have double entries, but thats about it. I can deal with that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So it's been a day now, what are everyone's thoughts on the new Pixel Launcher?

I like the search bar but dislike the animation for using it and I can't say I'm a fan of the text on that widget.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I haven't seen the new widget display an actual event yet, and my calendar is chock full of them. I love the new folder animation and I noticed that I'd you move around a Google app icon, there is more depth to them, meaning the white circle lags behind the actual icon if you move it around fast enough. Neat little touches like that make me geek out hard.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I haven't seen the new widget display an actual event yet, and my calendar is chock full of them. I love the new folder animation and I noticed that I'd you move around a Google app icon, there is more depth to them, meaning the white circle lags behind the actual icon if you move it around fast enough. Neat little touches like that make me geek out hard.

Rita from Androidpolice had the same issue with the widget. Worked fine for me, but my home screen before had a DashClock widget that did exactly what the At A Glance widget does and with better granularity so I don't think I'll keep it around. Making the weather smaller is uncool too.

Overall I can't help but feel it's a step backward though I definitely like the search bar down low.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I love the new live wallpapers from the Pixel 2 and want more of them, I used the trick on XDA to get them on my Note 8 and they look absolutely fantastic.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

LastInLine posted:

Rita from Androidpolice had the same issue with the widget. Worked fine for me, but my home screen before had a DashClock widget that did exactly what the At A Glance widget does and with better granularity so I don't think I'll keep it around. Making the weather smaller is uncool too.

Overall I can't help but feel it's a step backward though I definitely like the search bar down low.

Was there a fix for the widget?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Was there a fix for the widget?

I don't think so.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love the new live wallpapers from the Pixel 2 and want more of them, I used the trick on XDA to get them on my Note 8 and they look absolutely fantastic.

Do you have a link for that? I'd like to try them on my Note 8 too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

TwistedNails posted:

Do you have a link for that? I'd like to try them on my Note 8 too.

https://www.xda-developers.com/get-pixel-2-beach-live-wallpaper-oreo/

Install Google Wallpapers from the Play Store, then the apk from that link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74142755&postcount=608

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Thank you!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
No prob, this is what my Note 8 looks like with that wallpaper trick and Nova, I really like it

(those little balloons float around, I love it)

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 15, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

No prob, this is what my Note 8 looks like with that wallpaper trick and Nova, I really like it

(those little balloons float around, I love it)

I've been too lazy to switch back to Nova from stock, i didn't back it up on my s7e before swapping phones at the store. I really like the earth background and the beach one. The default note 8 background was good too.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

eSporks posted:

The whole time that I have been there, everyone has started on the hour.

This new one more or less works. A couple days have double entries, but thats about it. I can deal with that.

Looks like I set "CLEAR_CALANDAR_IN_RANGE = false" on line 18 in the version I linked, which prevents the script from clearing the Target Calendar's events in the range, so the duplicate events were possibly leftovers from a previous run? using "true" instead /should/ prevent that.

Welp, glad it mostly works. Guess it was not as "Fairly straightforward" as I'd assumed, after all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Honestly I'm amazed it works even a little bit and I've had a lot of fun reading about it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a good keyboard app for Android beyond Gboard? I'm kind of done with the lovely swiping predictions, it's gotten progressively worse over the last two years. Gboard feels like it's primarily designed for teenage girls and feels slow as hell on my Pixel.

Top two options I have been able to find:

Jellybean Keyboard
Swype

Curious if anyone uses anything besides Gboard, and what their preference is, and why.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
SwiftKey but I don't swype so dunno about that aspect.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The thing I hate the most about the keyboard is that the emoji button (can I still call them "smilies"?) is right next to the comma, and I'm five taps ahead into typing my word when I realize its :) :( :a2m:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FogHelmut posted:

The thing I hate the most about the keyboard is that the emoji button (can I still call them "smilies"?) is right next to the comma, and I'm five taps ahead into typing my word when I realize its :) :( :a2m:

I'm not seeing the problem here?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FogHelmut posted:

Just change the option for it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just change the option for it?

I did not know I could do that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FogHelmut posted:

I did not know I could do that.

Enjoy your newfound freedom from smileys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Fyi, you can do the same thing in SwiftKey. I have it long press on enter, but can disable it entirely.