Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/917832290209644544
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/917842923022110720
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/917846271305682945

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ben is like 100+ pounds lighter in that picture

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

How much do I have to pay to get someone's name changed?

8$

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

TheAgent posted:

Funding Talk

September was an awful, awful, awful month for funding. An absolutely dismal loving September; the third worst month so far this year, barely edging out January 2017 ($1,753,012).
code:
September 2017: $1,771,934
September 2016: $2,315,704
Difference: -$543,770
Percentage: -24.5%
Although the X1 wasn't much of a crowd pleaser, bringing in around $478,000 in three days, it helped save CIG from September being the worst month so far this year (that honor goes to March with $1,310,900).

Anything less than $2m a month is a disaster for CIG. That barely covers the operating costs of F42 in England, let alone the myriad of other studios across the globe.

Let's take a look at a yearly breakdown:
code:
Total Funding in 2017 (to date): $20,281,970
Total Funding in 2016 (January 1st 2016 to October 11th, 2016): $23,261,594
Difference: -$2,979,624
Percentage: -12.9%
Not that big of a difference! Strange though, considering that by this time last year, CitizenCon had it's big, big reveal and the money absolutely was pouring into CIG's coffers.
code:
Total Funding Achieved in 2016 (entire year): $36,100,538
Difference: -$15,818,568
Percentage: -43.9%
Yowza. That looks a little bit more problematic, doesn't it? CIG has to make almost $16m in the next 11 weeks to hit their funding from 2016. That's almost $1.5m every week until the end of the year.

I can tell you right now: that's not going to happen. Why?

Last year you had a massive Gamecom reveal, pulling in almost $5m in August 2016 (this years August funding was an anemic $2,751,149 by comparison). That Gamesom SC demo had everything every backer wanted: cool new quests, mission givers, AI, planets, everything! Everything that Chris promised was Right. loving. There. In fact, it was coming before the end of the year! This built a lot of hype around the project and basically backers told doubters "Haha, you dumb fuckers! See! We were right! Pledge more!"

Months later, in October, you had Citcon and the Polaris pre-sale. The Polaris pre-sale brought in about $1,750,000 -- that's just the pre-sale for subs and concierge level backers. We were heading into a hype spiral, trades on r/starcitizen_trades were loving magical and all was right with the Verse. Citcon then generates another (approx) $2.4m just on it's own, helping to make October 2016 a huge month for funding at $5,215,403.

After that: November, with the Anniversary sale bringing in over $6m, making November 2016 a loving amazing month for CIG at $7,776,767.

And then...radio silence about 3.0. 2.6 is released on December 23rd, 2016 but funding, even with two new concept sales and a bevy of other sales throughout the month of December, is low. It brings in a serviceable $3,021,676 total, but nothing like the juggernaut of the previous months.

This, right here, is when the hype train starts to derail and funding begins to loving dry up. Backers realize that 3.0 might be months and months and months away; maybe, just maybe, they were watching a scripted demo created by an outside contracted studio specifically for Gamescom.

Unless 3.0 is launched in a perfect state, with every promise made over a year ago, you'll see absolutely nothing like last years insane funding. People are getting wise and actually want the game they were promised and pre-ordered.

They always relied on making $20M in Q4 every year from Citizen Con to Xmas sale. I always felt the tires would come off this thing because eventually Q4 would come, but the funding would not and at that point would be where things really spiral downhill fast.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
The "goons" with their mass alt account forum is costing CIG some €

I guess my buddy is by far not the only new one to Starcitizen, who got lost quick googling some info about the game and found themselfs reading/watching some hateful stuff on CIG and CR..

Glad 3.0 and the delta patcher are in testing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mangoose posted:

Contard pleb spotted, check mate :smuggo:

$400 to play witcher 3 from the sofa was money well spent.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Which one of us is Matt_Daymun again?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

trucutru posted:

Also, the ships are made out of dozen and dozens of parts. And when they move, the client (and the server afterwards) transmits the movement vector of every single part, instead of only one for the whole ship.

Makes no sense. Totally ridiculous to send position data about a single child game object, unless that object is moving relative to the parent object (like a turret rotating relative to the ship it's attached to). I assume this is what stock CryEngine netcode does by default but gently caress dude... The first thing they should have done is modify the netcode to only send root gameobject (in this case, "ship") data when a ship is translating or rotating, and let the client figure out where the child objects should be relative to that.

But you see, this is the cost of CRFS (Chris Robert Fidelity Syndrome). Ships have all these stupid frivolous moving parts like ladders, 4-part spacebike doors, individually rotating thrusters, etc, and while to a manchild this is "awesome," it creates tons and tons of complexity on the backend, and especially in the netcode.

That's why this game isn't coming out. Needless complexity due to unmitigated wow-factor "Visionary" bullshit creates an exponentially cascading nested russian doll of impossible, unmaintainable code.

Toops fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 11, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Which one of us is Matt_Daymun again?

I am matt_daymun and so is my wife.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
Its hard to keep track of the dozens of alts everyone has. We need a spreadsheet.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BloodyScab posted:

Its hard to keep track of the dozens of alts everyone has. We need a spreadsheet.

There is one. Also another for how much we've illegally refunded from Star Citizen, most of which are either fake or from stolen credit cards.

Offending text struck for breaking rules 2, 3, and 17.

-Mod Team

Somebody hosed with message at 13:20 EST

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 11, 2017

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/75qevq/my_buddy_didnt_plegde_yet_cause_goons/

nice work everyone.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

#winning

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The shark wearing a fake mustache at the "no sharks" tuna convention is my new favorite analogy/image. It's so elegant!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 11, 2017

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Weird. Why doesn't he just show his friend how awesome and high quality the game is? Theres negative nancies for awesome games. All you gotta do is show him around the PU and all the cool poo poo you can do in there. that'll override some autist with a twitter account.

Oh wait. Maybe its not a goon problem, but a game is bad/doesn't exist problem.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This warms my heart.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I love reddit, so easy to gently caress with people :D.

Also, i would never post with alts on reddit.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
I have no idea why you would alt up on reddit.

Every single post from a new account or one with negative karma needs to be hand approved by the mods on a case by case basis. So goons, noobies, or anyone with a non hivemind opinion are pretty much banned right now.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

I wonder why his "buddy" had trouble finding actual gameplay videos that weren't janky broken youtube poop/shreds caliber. I wonder why he wasn't lead straight to all the clear, succinct information about the state of "Star Citizen" the video game?

Good job goons, our plucky little david forum is bringing down the Goliath that is "Robert Space Industries, INC, $160,000,000.00 corporation."

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Where is the old Noob Portrait Picture?

TRUMP LOVER as a european is sooo meh. Like who cares about americunt politics.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

AutismVaccine posted:

Where is the old Noob Portrait Picture?

TRUMP LOVER as a european is sooo meh. Like who cares about americunt politics.

Trump broke most normal peoples brains and literally can't handle it so it drives avatar sales.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

BloodyScab posted:

Trump broke most normal peoples brains and literally can't handle it so it drives avatar sales.

But what if you actually like Trump? Then it means you don't have to buy an avatar...

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
for example a large percentage of people who read my previous post analyzed it suspiciously to determine if I am a trump supporter.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

Makes no sense. Totally ridiculous to send position data about a single child game object, unless that object is moving relative to the parent object (like a turret rotating relative to the ship it's attached to). I assume this is what stock CryEngine netcode does by default but gently caress dude... The first thing they should have done is modify the netcode to only send root gameobject (in this case, "ship") data when a ship is translating or rotating, and let the client figure out where the child objects should be relative to that.

But you see, this is the cost of CRFS (Chris Robert Fidelity Syndrome). Ships have all these stupid frivolous moving parts like ladders, 4-part spacebike doors, individually rotating thrusters, etc, and while to a manchild this is "awesome," it creates tons and tons of complexity on the backend, and especially in the netcode.

That's why this game isn't coming out. Needless complexity due to unmitigated wow-factor "Visionary" bullshit creates an exponentially cascading nested russian doll of impossible, unmaintainable code.

quote:

Makes no sense. Totally ridiculous to send position data about a single child game object

quote:

Makes no sense. Totally ridiculous

And yet this is what the people who sniffed the network packets found. The Aristocrats!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen 2017 Honest Rant White Knights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU1sRg3ROvY

KyPoorShot posted:

Are "White Knights" helping development? What impressions do they leave with viewers/readers? What do potential backers see?

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

But what if you actually like Trump? Then it means you don't have to buy an avatar...

They get banned a lot so they make up for it with reregs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BloodyScab posted:

I have no idea why you would alt up on reddit.

Every single post from a new account or one with negative karma needs to be hand approved by the mods on a case by case basis. So goons, noobies, or anyone with a non hivemind opinion are pretty much banned right now.

Just get into one of our designated reddit upvote centrals, use the goon browser extension to make a hundred posts, and our bots will upvote you a few thousand times. Let the account mature a bit and presto! you can spread FUD anywhere with a nice account.

If you are really, really impatient, bespoke hand-curated accounts are just :10bux:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm glad that the Derek Smart subreddit works with cold, hard factual truths and not wild speculation

Unlike "The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: 3.0 Frames Per Second"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

Unlike "The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: 3.0 Frames Per Second"

What does a lovely dead gay comedy forum have to do with a repository of evidence for archival purposes?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

BloodyScab posted:

They get banned a lot so they make up for it with reregs.

:ironicat:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lladre posted:

SomethingAwful being poo poo doesn't make their sub-reddit good, nor vice-versa

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I want to take a moment and :justpost: about something that bothered me while catching up on the past 97,000 posts: people kept saying "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

A stopped clock is right twice a day. But a broken clock may be right a far smaller percentage of the time. Consider a clock which loses one second every day, which would be right only once every 236 years!

You people clearly know nothing about aphorism development.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheAgent posted:

Funding Talk

September was an awful, awful, awful month for funding. An absolutely dismal loving September; the third worst month so far this year, barely edging out January 2017 ($1,753,012).
code:
September 2017: $1,771,934
September 2016: $2,315,704
Difference: -$543,770
Percentage: -24.5%
Although the X1 wasn't much of a crowd pleaser, bringing in around $478,000 in three days, it helped save CIG from September being the worst month so far this year (that honor goes to March with $1,310,900).

Anything less than $2m a month is a disaster for CIG. That barely covers the operating costs of F42 in England, let alone the myriad of other studios across the globe.

Let's take a look at a yearly breakdown:
code:
Total Funding in 2016 (January 1st 2016 to October 11th, 2016): $23,261,594
Difference: -$2,979,624
Percentage: -12.9%
Not that big of a difference! Strange though, considering that by this time last year, CitizenCon had it's big, big reveal and the money absolutely was pouring into CIG's coffers.
code:
Total Funding Achieved in 2016 (entire year): $36,100,538
Difference: -$15,818,568
Percentage: -43.9%
Yowza. That looks a little bit more problematic, doesn't it? CIG has to make almost $16m in the next 11 weeks to hit their funding from 2016. That's almost $1.5m every week until the end of the year.

I can tell you right now: that's not going to happen. Why?

Last year you had a massive Gamecom reveal, pulling in almost $5m in August 2016 (this years August funding was an anemic $2,751,149 by comparison). That Gamesom SC demo had everything every backer wanted: cool new quests, mission givers, AI, planets, everything! Everything that Chris promised was Right. loving. There. In fact, it was coming before the end of the year! This built a lot of hype around the project and basically backers told doubters "Haha, you dumb fuckers! See! We were right! Pledge more!"

Months later, in October, you had Citcon and the Polaris pre-sale. The Polaris pre-sale brought in about $1,750,000 -- that's just the pre-sale for subs and concierge level backers. We were heading into a hype spiral, trades on r/starcitizen_trades were loving magical and all was right with the Verse. Citcon then generates another (approx) $2.4m just on it's own, helping to make October 2016 a huge month for funding at $5,215,403.

After that: November, with the Anniversary sale bringing in over $6m, making November 2016 a loving amazing month for CIG at $7,776,767.

And then...radio silence about 3.0. 2.6 is released on December 23rd, 2016 but funding, even with two new concept sales and a bevy of other sales throughout the month of December, is low. It brings in a serviceable $3,021,676 total, but nothing like the juggernaut of the previous months.

This, right here, is when the hype train starts to derail and funding begins to loving dry up. Backers realize that 3.0 might be months and months and months away; maybe, just maybe, they were watching a scripted demo created by an outside contracted studio specifically for Gamescom.

Unless 3.0 is launched in a perfect state, with every promise made over a year ago, you'll see absolutely nothing like last years insane funding. People are getting wise and actually want the game they were promised and pre-ordered.

While I really appreciate this writeup, since it's an actually cool summary, ultimately I disagree with your final assesment. By this point I really have to apply David Simon's two cardinal rules when it comes to addiction to Star Citizen:

1. ALWAYS get the blast
2. Never say never

The second might apply directly as a response to your post, but the first guarantees these sods will buy poo poo so long as it has an RSI/Star Citizen label on it by now. Twice so for all the german fans that seem to still be left over, who likely have some understanding of english, but not enough to know that CR's finer points of rambling aren't actual work or progress being done but just more delusions.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 11, 2017

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

mdxi posted:

I want to take a moment and :justpost: about something that bothered me while catching up on the past 97,000 posts: people kept saying "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

A stopped clock is right twice a day. But a broken clock may be right a far smaller percentage of the time. Consider a clock which loses one second every day, which would be right only once every 236 years!

If it goes in reverse, it's right 4 times a day.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mdxi posted:

You know, sometimes, you just have to accept idioms at face value.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Mirificus is making another move on youtube comments?

tane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A broken clock can be a stopped clock, but a stopped clock cannot be a... poo poo.