Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
How is Exist Archive? Reviews seem mixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Speaking of incredibly boring games by Tri-Ace...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

It is really not good. It's like Valkyrie Profile Done Wrong.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Getsuya posted:

Very bad. I don't know how they could be 'mixed' unless they were really, really trying to like it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Renoistic posted:

I don't know about the earlier games, but Persona 3, 4, 5 and Catherine all have terrible gay and/or trans jokes.

persona 1 doesn't really spare any time to have those kinds of jokes and persona 2 has like, one very obscure side npc that might come off kind of weird but still much less hateful than anything in the later ones, and it's also a game where you can be openly gay for your best friend and it's not even, like, a joke, and nobody gets creeped out or makes fun of it, in fact persona 2 is a lot more chill about people in general. i think it's different lead staff so the guy directing the games persona 3-onwards is just really weird about that stuff

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 11, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A new generation gets to experience the joys of criminally stupid party member AI and late game enemies that can not only stunlock you, but require counters(?) to damage effectively and you have to beat several waves of them the first time you meet them. :allears:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

They missed a golden opportunity to call it the Star Ocean 4Kay Edition

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Who exactly do they expect to care or buy this, I say, like someone who isn't a dumbshit who bought Star Ocean 5.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Perona 4's moral lesson is "Be true to yourself and love yourself and your individuality regardless of what the world thinks of you or expects of you (As long as you ultimately grow up and become a good normal person and fall in line with what is expected of you)." and they cut a gay romance from the game super late (late enough that there's English VA for the romance option) and the only queer people in P3-5 are there to be predatory and gross and a punchline or 'OH no you were just confused about yourself."

Persona 2 lets the protag be gay and thats actually acknowledged and respected by the other party members and changes how they interact with the protag throughout the rest of the game.

What Im saying is the writers and director of P3-P5 are massive loving cowards making games about rebellion and self love/understanding and expression and also really really afraid of queer people so they suck.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 11, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
persona 4 is about how everyone has depth and nobody is simple and two dimensional and also fat people are ugly and stupid and selfish, we should all laugh at them

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Being fat in Japan is the Worst Thing because it’s treated like a disease which makes it okay for people to say ‘Oh dear you appear to be really fat’ in the same tone and spirit as saying ‘oh dear you appear to have a cold’

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess that explains why persona 4 is so lovely about it but it doesn't make it any less awful that it's like that when persona 2 has an entire character who has the guy she likes tell her he loves her for the person she is and that he doesn't want to see her hurt herself just so she can lose weight and look "normal"

i don't want to constantly bring up persona 2 here but it's always really frustrating to me that persona 2 does all these things so much better than the later games, i love persona 4 but that stuff just makes it feel a lot more mean-spirited

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Remember at the end of the eighth dungeon in Persona 5 where one character who'd just sacrificed himself for the party turns up battered but okay and his grieving friends walk over and just beat the poo poo out of him for no reason

There's so much bewilderingly juvenile poo poo in those games and it really clashes with the messages they try to impart.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tri-Ace please port over Valkyrie Profile 2

No one wanted SO4 :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Tri-Ace please port over Valkyrie Profile 2

No one wanted SO4 :negative:

Considering VP2 is this insane hacked together monstrosity that barely runs on a PS2 I wouldn't be surprised if porting it was a task not remotely likely worth the effort.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mash together valkyrie profile 2 with red dead redemption and hope that both games somehow untangle each other's code

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getsuya posted:

I beat Star Ocean V, I couldn't play Exist Archive for more than a couple of hours

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah, persona 4/5 aren't well written.

I feel persona 4 is particularly rushed. didn't it come out pretty soon after p3?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i would had friendzone'd yosuke tbh.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i guess that explains why persona 4 is so lovely about it but it doesn't make it any less awful that it's like that when persona 2 has an entire character who has the guy she likes tell her he loves her for the person she is and that he doesn't want to see her hurt herself just so she can lose weight and look "normal"

i don't want to constantly bring up persona 2 here but it's always really frustrating to me that persona 2 does all these things so much better than the later games, i love persona 4 but that stuff just makes it feel a lot more mean-spirited

So would you say the Persona 2s are must-play? I’ve thought several times about getting them on my Vita but I was never sure if they were worth it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Oxxidation posted:

Remember at the end of the eighth dungeon in Persona 5 where one character who'd just sacrificed himself for the party turns up battered but okay and his grieving friends walk over and just beat the poo poo out of him for no reason

There's so much bewilderingly juvenile poo poo in those games and it really clashes with the messages they try to impart.

it was his last surprise

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Getsuya posted:

So would you say the Persona 2s are must-play? I’ve thought several times about getting them on my Vita but I was never sure if they were worth it.

persona 2 is absolutely tedious to play, but if you can deal with the aggravatingly slow combat the character writing across both games is fantastic and they hit a really cool tone

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I, too, will enjoy taking a nap with an emotionally stunted 15 year old in 4k.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
can't wait too buy edge maverick for the 3rd time in hopes that this time may be what convinces tri-ace to port radiata stories :gbsmith:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think I had SO4 at some point and I got bored of it long before I met the little girl.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

tenderjerk posted:

can't wait too buy edge maverick for the 3rd time in hopes that this time may be what convinces tri-ace to port radiata stories :gbsmith:

Give it a fast forward feature and make save points more plentiful and I'm sold.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

persona 2 is absolutely tedious to play, but if you can deal with the aggravatingly slow combat the character writing across both games is fantastic and they hit a really cool tone

I have a pretty good tolerance for tedium if a good story is involved.

I mean Wheel of Time is one of my favorite book series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Too easy

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

I personally stand by P2's gameplay being fine, and slow by maybe 90s JRPGs standards but still perfectly playable (compared to, say, P1). But that said its plot remains the best thing Atlus has ever written and by mostly on the strength of that P2 remains one of my favorite JRPGs.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I bet the people who made P5 vote for Abe all the time.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Next I would like an HD remake of the Star Ocean 3 tabletop RPG, please. Thanks in advance Tri-Ace.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

P2's battles might be really slow but at least the music's p good (IS at least, haven't played EP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX1ZqSmxRe0

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Getsuya posted:

Next I would like an HD remake of the Star Ocean 3 tabletop RPG, please. Thanks in advance Tri-Ace.

the

the what?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

the

the what?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/47...9YVL&ref=plSrch

It’s card-based and can somehow be played solo as well as with a group. According to the lone review it is pretty much just a combat system that recreates the one in the game fairly well so I have to assume it has MP death and can be broken with Side Kick.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Colonel posted:

persona 4 is about how everyone has depth and nobody is simple and two dimensional and also fat people are ugly and stupid and selfish, we should all laugh at them

That and real happiness is being true to yourself and doing the poo poo everyone expects of you that you hate because really actually it is quite fulfilling and you're totally doing it on your own terms and not just because its expected of you and not doing it seems difficult.

Rise and Yukiko suck is what I'm saying.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Overminty posted:

P2's battles might be really slow but at least the music's p good (IS at least, haven't played EP)

Totally, this is one of the reasons why the Innocent Sin pack is the only DLC I've bought for P5 so far.

EP's music is just as good as IS with a handful of (subjective) trade-offs. IS has the better standard battle theme, EP has the better boss theme, etc.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Barris posted:

Kanjis subplot in P4 gives off a lot of mixed messages. On the one hand the basic message of it is "be yourself, cause living a lie will make you miserable" otoh there's a lot of "ew gays!" Jokes made and the characters making them never get their come-up-ance or even questioned about it. It's kind of bizarre.

I'm kinda torn on this because I feel like Yusuke is the source of most of the game's homophobia and he is absolutely portrayed as a callous dipshit teenage boy, and the game gives you the option to freak him out on purpose by doing stuff like being excited (or feigning excitement) about Miss Yasogami

That poo poo in P5, however marginal, was just real dumb and in poor taste tho. It's not nearly pervasive enough to ruin the game and there's also some counter-examples (like the bartender in the Devil S Link, who's portrayed as a wise, friendly, and upright adult in a game with a lot of poo poo ones), but it undermines the game's anarchist vibe and I hope the next one doesn't pull that poo poo again

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 11, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That and real happiness is being true to yourself and doing the poo poo everyone expects of you that you hate because really actually it is quite fulfilling and you're totally doing it on your own terms and not just because its expected of you and not doing it seems difficult.

Rise and Yukiko suck is what I'm saying.
Rise is fine because it does seem like she'll have a different approach to her career and she entered it on her own terms, and her issues are with how people react to her career and not the things she does as a part of that career. If she enjoys the work and focuses on that, then yeah, her problem would be solved.

Yukiko, however, is a weird plot point. I can kind of get the idea, that she does love her family and the inn, but that doesn't mean she has to take it over? Like, what did Yukiko even want to do outside of the inn? I guess that's meant to prove that she really does want to run the inn but it just makes her seem shallow.

wizard on a water slide posted:

I'm kinda torn on this because I feel like Yusuke is the source of most of the game's homophobia and he is absolutely portrayed as a callous dipshit teenage boy, and the game gives you the option to freak him out on purpose by doing stuff like being excited (or feigning excitement) about Miss Yasogami
The game also gives you the option to totally agree with him with no negative consequences.

Also, P5's writing sucks poo poo for a variety of reasons. This game has both the line 'we hate the cops' and a character whose arc ends with her wanting to become a cop even after literally 80% of the problems in her and her friends' lives were caused by the government.

Also one of the villains is a guy who runs a restaurant chain and sees all his workers as disposable machines, and there's news reports saying that several people have died from overwork at his restaurants. When the party defeats him, they act like taking him out was a mistake, because they only did it because the public wanted them to, not because he was actually someone who needed to be defeated. Even though he was overworking his employees to the point of death with no remorse. What.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona 4 and 5 are basically centrism: the video game

'some people might be gay, maybe, and i guess that doesnt make them inhuman monsters, but whew, its a good thing your buddy kanji isnt gay'
'some people might be trans, maybe, but naoto definitely DEFINITELY DEFINITELY isnt trans now let's put her in a schoolgirl outfit and gently caress her'
'the government might be bad, maybe, but really its just this one guy and we arent actually enacting sweeping political reform'
'capitalism is sort of problematic, buuuuuuut hey look a beach scene'
'the youth are oppressed by adults, that's why we, adults, are making a video game where gay people are at best comic relief with ten lines and at worst literal child rapists. a gay youth might play this game aimed at teenage boys? sounds fake.'
'its bad when adults sexualize kids. also, do you want to gently caress your sexy teacher, teenage boys.'