Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

After The War posted:

I'd imagine it has mostly to do with who wrote it and (more timely) its connection to the first Dirk Gently book.

Oh, most assuredly. It lends an air of legitimacy to our show with plastic wrap monsters and the worst use of bluescreen imaginable.

My favorite adaptation of Shada might actually be the novelization by noted shithead Gareth Roberts. Never really liked his televised stories but he did a good job with the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

* Revamped TARDIS interior and exterior plus new sonic screwdriver design.

Oh come on, I've hardly even broken in Twelve's Sonic and now I'm gonna hafta purchase a new one?
And another Eleven, since it pulled a Davros on me and decided to break apart

Who knew dropping it on pavement half a dozen times was bad for it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Who knew dropping it on pavement half a dozen times was bad for it

Matt Smith, from all the times that he did that playing with it. :v:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, "The new doctor will get a revamped sonic screwdriver" is about much news as "The new doctor will get their own costume" at this point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
In overgrown baby news

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Lmao

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
He really is a ridiculous individual. Just utterly obsessed with his own mythology.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

bobkatt013 posted:

In overgrown baby news

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bobkatt013 posted:

In overgrown baby news

Remember, he made Shada on his own (with other peoples' money) just on the assumption that the BBC would take it because HE'S IAN LEVINE.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Didn't he have a hissy fit and flounce from the fandom over Jodie too?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TinTower posted:

That's what he's referring to with "Chibnall's casting choices"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TinTower posted:

He mentioned that as one of the reasons he is done with Who! He is such a Fucken child and now he wishes he never saved any episodes since they cast a wo-man and they did not use his version!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerusalem posted:

Make Scherzo :stare:

thatd be easy cause it'd just be a black screen for half the runtime

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!"

:jerkbag:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Every day, each one of us in this thread can wake up and say "No matter how bad things get, no matter how bad I feel about myself, at least I'm not Ian Levine.

e: in case his "Goodbye... forever!" post didn't show how he feels about a woman being the Doctor, here were his tweets at the time:

quote:

THIS IS REALLY poo poo – IT SUCKS – IT'S STUPID – KILLS THE SHOW. I want nothing more to do with it and I HATE CHRIS CHIBNALL – HE CAN gently caress OFF

quote:

CHRIS CHIBNALL MAKES ME WANNA VOMIT

He has put the final nail into Doctor Who.

RIP

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 11, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I somehow think this isn't the last we'll hear of Levine's thoughts about Who

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I somehow think this isn't the last we'll hear of Levine's thoughts about Who

There is no way he will stop talking about it. It will either be fatman gloating or super nitpicking

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I mean, what good has he done in the past fifteen years?

At least sparacus wrote the Ben Chatham Adventures.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"I now wish I hadn't."

gently caress you, Ian Levine. I appreciate you saved the episodes but wishing you hadn't because the BBC is making an official version of one of their own commissioned but never-completed scripts? Jesus Christ.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"I now wish I hadn't."

gently caress you, Ian Levine. I appreciate you saved the episodes but wishing you hadn't because the BBC is making an official version of one of their own commissioned but never-completed scripts? Jesus Christ.

And like I pointed out, it's not as if the BBC had commissioned him to make a version, he did it on his own, and expected them to accept it and release it officially.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also his shada doesn't even have tom baker in it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Was it here that someone posted an excerpt from some singer's autobiography who had worked with Ian, and the big takeaway was Ian had an assistant whose sole job was to run and get Ian candy, which he wouldn't share?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Davros1 posted:

Was it here that someone posted an excerpt from some singer's autobiography who had worked with Ian, and the big takeaway was Ian had an assistant whose sole job was to run and get Ian candy, which he wouldn't share?

Somebody introduce him to Notch, I feel like they have a lot in common and they both need a friend.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

"I now wish I hadn't."

Well, be fair. They also put a girl in his show!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Well, be fair. They also put a girl in his show!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Astroman posted:

Yeah, and I've heard some of those. I'm thinking more history altering, like the Doctor is shot by a Kaled in the middle of Genesis of the Daleks and turns into Peter Davison, who has to finish out the episode, confront Davros, and decide if he has that right, while hanging with Harry Sullivan. Then meeting up with Sarah Jane at the end and they go off for new adventures together.

There is a bit in the Titan comics where something hits the doctor and he regresses a regeneration or two, continuing as eccleston for a bit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Two thoughts:

• The Green Death is really good. I remember being put off by the disgusting, yet goofy condom maggots and green screen, but the environmentalist scientists against the mindlessly profit-driven corporation is fun, and the computer villain is absurd in the most enjoyable kind of way. I also like that the Doctor finally gets to Metebelis Three, but Jo doesn't even come along for the ride, and all that happens is he gets attacked by a bunch of monsters and brings back a rock. It's dated, sure, but it's a good serial.
  • The TARDIS prop in The Time Warrior is hanging on for dear life. It looks like if Pertwee slams the door, or maybe just yells too loudly, it's just going to collapse completely.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Two thoughts:

• The Green Death is really good. I remember being put off by the disgusting, yet goofy condom maggots and green screen, but the environmentalist scientists against the mindlessly profit-driven corporation is fun, and the computer villain is absurd in the most enjoyable kind of way. I also like that the Doctor finally gets to Metebelis Three, but Jo doesn't even come along for the ride, and all that happens is he gets attacked by a bunch of monsters and brings back a rock. It's dated, sure, but it's a good serial.
  • The TARDIS prop in The Time Warrior is hanging on for dear life. It looks like if Pertwee slams the door, or maybe just yells too loudly, it's just going to collapse completely.

Green death is also the start of the end of Pertwre, as his action lead to his death

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

Matt Smith, from all the times that he did that playing with it. :v:

Fair point

You know you watch too much Who when you start mimicking the characters without meaning to

I was told I had very "expressive" hands when I get excited and start talking about it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I think that's Gary Barlow's biography. I'm still sad the story about Levine chasing Barlow and the rest of Take That out of the recording studio in the middle of the night is apocryphal.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What was the deal with Richard Franklin again? I remember people referring to something obliquely in this thread, but I could never figure out what it was.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

What was the deal with Richard Franklin again? I remember people referring to something obliquely in this thread, but I could never figure out what it was.

The only thing I really know about him is that he was active in politics and skewed increasingly right as time has gone on. He started out as a lib dem candidate, then a referendum party candidate, then a UKIP one, then formed his OWN party with such aims as:

£200 per week Citizens' Income for Pensioners and Students
25% Seats in Parliament reserved for Small parties & Independents
EU Diversity through greater National Sovereignty
Freedom and Achievement through firm but fair Discipline at home, in school and in society

And now he seems to have formed something else called the 30-50 coalition which seems to be mostly wanting another dozen seats in parliament that the big parties aren't allowed to have.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, just an Operation Yewtree candidate.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks, I always figured it was something like this. The "open secret" references to Weinstein and seeing so much of him in The Green Death last night put it in my mind. Show biz let's too many people get away with a lot.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Thanks, I always figured it was something like this. The "open secret" references to Weinstein and seeing so much of him in The Green Death last night put it in my mind. Show biz let's too many people get away with a lot.

I admit I spent a good chunk of the past few days mixing up Harvey Weinstein with Harvey Feirstein, and feeling a little confused at the reports of females being assaulted.

(Weinstein can gently caress the gently caress off)

With The Orville scratching my classic sci-fi itch, I really need to get back into classic Who. The last serial I watched was over a year ago and that was episode one of The Face of Evil.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 11, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I was pondering an Orville-esque version of Who, and then I realised it already exists. It's Rick and Morty.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Doctor posted:

I was pondering an Orville-esque version of Who, and then I realised it already exists. It's Rick and Morty.

Nah, The Orville ain't mean-spirited. Rick and Morty is.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Nah, The Orville ain't mean-spirited. Rick and Morty is.

I wouldn't call it mean spirited exactly; Rick himself is a jerk, yes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I wouldn't call it mean spirited exactly; Rick himself is a jerk, yes

You definitely get the impression that it's more meanspirited than it actually is when you don't watch the show.

Until recently I'd never seen an episode, just clips and things and that VR game and thought that it was.

Watching the show, nah. It's not that mean spirited. Rick can be an rear end in a top hat, but largely he means well. Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I binged watched the first season of R&M, and no, I don't agree with this. R&M is more like Sherlock

• Locked thread