Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cat Mattress posted:

Look at how he got stuck in that sarcophagus: the demons made a ceiling fall on him and then he was trapped and unable to kill.

That was my favorite part. All of Doom is canon. Even the parts that make absolutely no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Look at how he got stuck in that sarcophagus: the demons made a ceiling fall on him and then he was trapped and unable to kill.
And then John was the Slayer.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Neat. Is there an English and/or digital release?
It sounds like they were barking up that tree with Doom 4/2016/whatever at at least one point, with a lengthy Doom 3-style intro where you'd be investigating the death of someone close to you and trying to figure out what did it and maybe it was demons?!? They didn't like it so they went the complete opposite direction of "HEY THERE'S DEMONS WE'RE DOING DEMON STUFF HI"

Huh? When was this ever a thing? All the scant info about the original Doom 4 is just a non-military human resistance pushing back against a hell invasion.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There wouldn't be much need for organized resistance stuff in the next Doom since doomguy is a demigod and doesn't need anyone help, it's not like you're gonna need a bunch of dudes to storm Omaha beach or anything when you can do it yourself

Although it would be funny to see doomguy kick sgt mctalksalot in the face when he starts monologuing about your next mission

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

CJacobs posted:

The corrupt portuguese military tries to take on Max Payne in Max Payne 3 if that counts, he's kinda like a demon

The game takes place in São Paulo though? :confused:

Parachute
May 18, 2003
why did the demons just trap DOOM SLAYER instead of killing him entirely? is that not a thing they can do?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Parachute posted:

why did the demons just trap DOOM SLAYER instead of killing him entirely? is that not a thing they can do?

Maybe that was the best they could hope for?

"Woo! Trapped him! Now, someone go in there and strike the heart of the Slayer and be rid of this Hell slaying scurge!"

*demons look around pensively*

"Well, I'M not going in there."

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Parachute posted:

"When (The DOOM Slayer) finally went into the box, we were like "Don't breathe on it, it works! Don't even LOOK at it!""

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i like the idea of mr doomguy getting a nice long-needed rest once he is trapped, also giving the demons a break until he is reactivated in doom4 like a sleeper cell jolted awake by the sounds of hell

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's sort of a Manchurian Candidate situation where he's awakened by a code phrase or something. Some poor zombieman walked past the coffin mumbling "yeah when I get home I'm going to rip and tear that coupon out of the book so I don't forget it..." and it was all downhill from there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Parachute posted:

If you kill him, he just respawns at the entrance of the level with a pistol.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure that's actually addressed in the game somewhere- no demon was able to take on and permanently kill the doom slayer, so trapping him somewhere that neutralizes his power for all eternity (until the UAC dug him up) was the best they could do.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

It's sort of a Manchurian Candidate situation where he's awakened by a code phrase or something. Some poor zombieman walked past the coffin mumbling "yeah when I get home I'm going to rip and tear that coupon out of the book so I don't forget it..." and it was all downhill from there.

They shouldn't have let that environmentalist demon give a talk about nukage and the effects it would have on the next generations of demons next door.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

I'm pretty sure that's actually addressed in the game somewhere- no demon was able to take on and permanently kill the doom slayer, so trapping him somewhere that neutralizes his power for all eternity (until the UAC dug him up) was the best they could do.

yeah this is kind of what i figured was the actual story but i bet they just got really sick of him IDDQD'ing

Cat Mattress posted:

If you kill him, he just respawns at the entrance of the level with a pistol.

*eyes glow yellow*

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Thyrork posted:

I'd be game for "The armies of earth against hell" Doom, but please don't make it a loving resistance. I'm okay with us getting our poo poo kicked in for narrative sake but "reeling and regrouping for a counter attack" isn't "shattered remains banded together again for One Last Op."

I hate the way the ragtag, underground resistance has become such a fixture in pop culture even when it doesn't make sense. I remember Mass Effect 3 had one of those after the giant, super advanced, unknowable squid-robot aliens who turn organic beings into robot zombies and have a singular goal of killing life attacked earth and I was trying to imagine how the hell it was meant to work in that situation since the game doesn't go into many details, did the reapers lay down lines of railways for partisans to blow up? Was the resistance trying to assassinate giant, nearly indestructible squidbots Reinhard Heydrich style?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

haveblue posted:

Ironically his weakness was getting trapped in a monster closet

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

site posted:

There wouldn't be much need for organized resistance stuff in the next Doom since doomguy is a demigod and doesn't need anyone help, it's not like you're gonna need a bunch of dudes to storm Omaha beach or anything when you can do it yourself

Although it would be funny to see doomguy kick sgt mctalksalot in the face when he starts monologuing about your next mission

Sgt takes him to a generic firing range boot camp tutorial level, Doomguy erases the entire firing range with a BFG shot and wanders off to find more demons to kill.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're a loose cannon, Doomguy, but a drat good cop.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I think it'd be cool if Doomguy had a shotgun at some point.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Maybe even a super one

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

:aaaaa:

I never put together that they literally dropped the ceiling in him so he was unable to kill oh my god.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
the end of Doom 2 2019 will be an imp setting a trap with the bait being "FREE AMMO (DOOMSLAYERS ONLY)" and then he will get caught in a box until the next game.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Parachute posted:

Listen buddy, I'm pretty sure I know a thing or two about dealing with ancient evils, the best way to do it is to seal them away. Also, I don't want to hear any nonsense about them "rising again" That never happens.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Once you trap the doom slayer he becomes the next guys problem and that's all that really matters, in hell it's everyone out for themselves

TerminusEst13 posted:

I think it'd be cool if Doomguy had a shotgun at some point.

Look i know we're spitballing here but this is just crazy talk

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
Doomguy would never use any guns.

The fact that he is unwilling to kill is central to his character.

That's why he's always using doomerangs, the doomclaw, and his judo skills. He's only trying to knock the demons out.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Doom by Daylight.

An asymmetric horror game where a group of imps and shotgunners have to work together to survive E1M1.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Parachute posted:

i like the idea of mr doomguy getting a nice long-needed rest once he is trapped, also giving the demons a break until he is reactivated in doom4 like a sleeper cell jolted awake by the sounds of hell

I assumed that the demons woke him up at the start of the game so he'd go break the argent energy facility and stop humanity from stealing all their energy. The fact that he was going to kill all the demons in his way was deemed a necessary sacrifice.

Literally nothing in the game supports this theory, but I still love it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

I assumed that the demons woke him up at the start of the game so he'd go break the argent energy facility and stop humanity from stealing all their energy. The fact that he was going to kill all the demons in his way was deemed a necessary sacrifice.

Literally nothing in the game supports this theory, but I still love it.

Samuel Hayden woke him up when he knew Olivia was up to no good and had stolen the Crucible from him.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Vakal posted:

Doom by Daylight.

An asymmetric horror game where a group of imps and shotgunners have to work together to survive E1M1.

Sounds like the IMPatience mod: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51988&sid=c65be3259e6a777f772a46232e5d77c7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNxPfHon-wY

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Parachute posted:

Where do you think he'd go if he died? Someone with that much hate certainly isn't getting into heaven...

Killing him literally does them no good, it puts him right back where he wants to be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd be cool with an expansion episode of doomguy fighting his way through heaven to get back to hell

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

site posted:

I'd be cool with an expansion episode of doomguy fighting his way through heaven to get back to hell

imagine if snapmap wasen't basically a baby crib in terms of modding tools

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I just took D4T out for a spin on KDitD and had a blast. It can be pretty unforgiving -- it has lots of ways to restore health, but even basic enemies chew through it really fast -- but it's also loads of fun. I found a bunch of upgrades to weapons that I didn't have, but I also found the Static Rifle and the grenade launcher upgrade to the shotgun.

Anyone have some recommended WADs to play with D4T? I could always try out Doom 2 or Plutonia/TNT but I feel like map design sensitivities have evolved a bunch since then.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Keiya posted:

Where do you think he'd go if he died? Someone with that much hate certainly isn't getting into heaven...

Killing him literally does them no good, it puts him right back where he wants to be.

Oh drat THAT'S why he can respawn back in the level :eyepop:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Some of the backstory things you find in the game say that the demons made a super titan demon to surpass all others, only for it to prove to not be a match for Doomguy. So yeah, it was sort of a last ditch effort type of thing. Maybe they even planned to kill him with it, but once it didn't take they used demon poo poo to help keep him sealed in.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Didn’t the lore also say that some demon hooked him up with the armor? Who’s the hooded figure in that one photo of him ripping and tearing imps?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Negrostrike posted:

The game takes place in São Paulo though? :confused:

they speak portugese in brazil, maybe that confused him

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Convex posted:

Ironically his weakness was getting trapped in a monster closet

/picks up single armour shard in an alcove, wall closes behind you

Well poo poo I wasn't expecting this!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
They just need to do Doom 2016's gameplay set in ruined cities turning into hellscapes and throw in a few set pieces like jets doing a bombing run to help our doomguy but then they get all destroyed by a huge demon that you then go kill etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Social Animal posted:

Didn’t the lore also say that some demon hooked him up with the armor? Who’s the hooded figure in that one photo of him ripping and tearing imps?

yeah the same demon who hooked him up with his killing prowess (it's you, the player!)